Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Barnes and Noble I work at just shrank the fantasy section so we could have more space for light novels. Now, I don’t think we sell nearly as many lns as we do volumes of manga (we can barely keep Chainsaw Man and Demon Slayer on the shelves) but Light Novels is now an official section of the store with its own signs rather than a subsection of Manga.

I guess I’m taking a meandering path to saying that buying physical volumes is an option too, if you’re looking for a more popular series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

New Yakuza Reincarnation dropped.

CHUUUUCK! THAAAAT! POOOOOOPE!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SubNat posted:

New Yakuza Reincarnation dropped.

CHUUUUCK! THAAAAT! POOOOOOPE!

It's never a bad time to yeet a catgirl.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Yeetus Ponteetus

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
First PV of Otherworldly Pharmacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa2kxAEUi3Q

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nemo2342 posted:

Nanotes is the best isekai goddess.

Bizarrely meta. What's this from?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

LLSix posted:

Bizarrely meta. What's this from?

An Active Hunter in Hokkaido Has Been Thrown into a Different World/
Different World Hunting With An Elf Wife

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

His "cheat" is basically the goddess who summoned him is working at a sporting goods store in the US so he can get any gun/ammo you could get there by sending her money.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea I'd say his skillset and limitation makes it more interesting than the isekai with the guy who can order anything off the internet for his jerk dire wolf friend

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 17, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Also when they say elf wife they mean it, while she towers over him they make it work, also they canonically gently caress, which is always a nice change of pace (you don't see anything it happens off panel, but still).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also, he kills slavers. (and his main qualm about doing so is that he is uncomfortable killing people at all.)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

Also when they say elf wife they mean it, while she towers over him they make it work, also they canonically gently caress, which is always a nice change of pace (you don't see anything it happens off panel, but still).

They're a cute couple and it's a blessedly harem free story. I just wish it updated more often.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Jackard posted:

Yea I'd say his skillset and limitation makes it more interesting than the isekai with the guy who can order anything off the internet for his jerk dire wolf friend

Yeah but it's got no slime child.

(both are good imo)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Slime child?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Slime child?

E: how do you timg an attached image on mobile? I am not good with computers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mors Rattus posted:

Also, he kills slavers. (and his main qualm about doing so is that he is uncomfortable killing people at all.)

Slavers, like nazis, are not people.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SubNat posted:

E: how do you timg an attached image on mobile? I am not good with computers.

You edit the post and type a t in front of the img in the tags. Like this:[timg][/timg]

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Clarste posted:

You edit the post and type a t in front of the img in the tags. Like this:[timg][/timg]

The issue was that when editing my own post, the attachment ID text doesn't appear so it can be timg-ed. (It does however appear if one quotes the post.)
It seems to be a bit of weirdness attached to using the attachment function instead of just uploading it offsite.

Anyhow, are people reading anything interesting currently?

Lately I've been reading:
Solo Bug Player

Guy obsessively played some VRMMO, cataloging all bugs and exploits etc, ends up dying, gets reincarnated as some random piggy count a decade before the game's setting kicks off.

It's nice, mostly the standard korean action-y stuff with billions of hyper-specific artifacts and randomly gaining hyper-specific super skills.
I am a bit annoyed that it talks about bugs and exploits, but whenever they come up it's always just dull 'oh yeah here's a mechanic I introduced just now, and a 'bug' that lets me exploit it.'.
No fun weird stuff. Hell, one of them is just 'there's a bug that lets you recraft artifacts together' and it's like.. no? That just sounds like a feature a power-creepy game might have.
The only genuinely bug-y bug he's exploited was exploiting some poor level design and popping through some walls.

The 'I got isekaied into a bethesda game' manga still seems to be the only one that really gets absurdly stupid bugs and how they're exploited, which is a shame.

I Got a Cheat Ability in a Different World, and Became Extraordinary Even in the Real World.

Bullied guy finds portal to isekai-land in his Grandfather's stuff, popping back and forth. Ladies fawn over him a lot, but he's mostly a goober trying to overcome his poor self-esteem from his upbringing.

I kinda like it for the protagonist just being a genuinely good person despite it all, way too many isekai-power fantasies revolve around 'oh I have some power? Time to take revenge on everyone I don't like.' in some form or another.
So it's nice to sidestep it.

My Quiet Blacksmith Life in Another World

Salaryman-guy dies saving a cat, is rewarded with a new start in isekai-land. Just wants to chill, blacksmith, and hang out. Currently working through a lot of impostor syndrome because the goddess just gave him blacksmithing skills.
There's some errant nipples flying around in the first chapter, but otherwise doesn't really do that stuff.

Annoyingly he keeps getting more and more young ladies just chilling at his place, but otherwise the series seems ok.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 20, 2022

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SubNat posted:

My Quiet Blacksmith Life in Another World

Salaryman-guy dies saving a cat, is rewarded with a new start in isekai-land. Just wants to chill, blacksmith, and hang out. Currently working through a lot of impostor syndrome because the goddess just gave him blacksmithing skills.
There's some errant nipples flying around in the first chapter, but otherwise doesn't really do that stuff.

Annoyingly he keeps getting more and more young ladies just chilling at his place, but otherwise the series seems ok.

So I read the web novel translation until it died, and just to forewarn you he will keep getting more and more ladies at his shop. However it never moved from "found family" to "harem" so I didn't mind it too much.. I enjoy this series, but it's not joking about being largely chill and low-key.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SubNat posted:

I Got a Cheat Ability in a Different World, and Became Extraordinary Even in the Real World.

Bullied guy finds portal to isekai-land in his Grandfather's stuff, popping back and forth. Ladies fawn over him a lot, but he's mostly a goober trying to overcome his poor self-esteem from his upbringing.

I kinda like it for the protagonist just being a genuinely good person despite it all, way too many isekai-power fantasies revolve around 'oh I have some power? Time to take revenge on everyone I don't like.' in some form or another.
So it's nice to sidestep it.

Yeah this one's fun. I like that it's a world that he can go in and out of like it's Persona but doing stuff there actually affects him on Earth. I have so many Isekai bookmarked now that I can't remember all of them, but Solo Leveling, The Gamer, The Hero Who Returned Remains the Strongest in the Modern World are the only ones I can think of where they do that. It's neat to see that as a premise.

Well sekai Ojisan coutlnts too I guess but I didn't really like that one.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Nemo2342 posted:

So I read the web novel translation until it died, and just to forewarn you [spoiler]he will keep getting more and more ladies at his shop.

Yeah, the fact that it's mostly familial is nice, but it's just a general trope I'm not a huge fan of in isekais and etc.
So many series just end up with these large casts of psuedoharems, regardless of how they actually behave.
Stuff that's just nice and platonic are very much the extreme exceptions.

RareAcumen posted:

---but doing stuff there actually affects him on Earth.

It also explains why isekai-people are almost always hot: Levelling up makes you more attractive. (Though I guess it's more of a 'your body reflects your stats' thing, to some degree.)
The point that most people just straight up don't recognize him afterwards is interesting, since he essentially popped through second-puberty in a matter of... weeks?

shaszoor
Jun 15, 2009
My impression was that it was a few months, but still an incredibly short time for magic second puberty.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SubNat posted:

Yeah, the fact that it's mostly familial is nice, but it's just a general trope I'm not a huge fan of in isekais and etc.
So many series just end up with these large casts of psuedoharems, regardless of how they actually behave.
Stuff that's just nice and platonic are very much the extreme exceptions.

While it can certainly be taken to the point where it strains my suspension of disbelief, I'm generally ok if the MC is surrounded by a mostly female cast as long as they're not all madly in love with him. And this story at least tries to come up with some justification for why everyone moves into his house.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah this one's fun. I like that it's a world that he can go in and out of like it's Persona but doing stuff there actually affects him on Earth. I have so many Isekai bookmarked now that I can't remember all of them, but Solo Leveling, The Gamer, The Hero Who Returned Remains the Strongest in the Modern World are the only ones I can think of where they do that. It's neat to see that as a premise.

Well sekai Ojisan coutlnts too I guess but I didn't really like that one.

I'd say Welcome to Japan Elf-san also does a similar deal where the protag is able to travel to this fantasy/game world when he goes to sleep at night and if he dies or goes to sleep over there, he returns to his original self and wakes up.

Other than the basic premise of his elf party member somehow coming back to japan with him one night, the fantasy world doesnt affect him in terms of magic powers or anything, but I suppose in a way it's kind of like a coming of age/portal fantasy story?
Because the protag has been able to explore this fantasy dream world since he was a child, so he basically hasn't got anything going for him in his boring mundane japan life and only looks forward to going to sleep every night. But since elf lady came back with him and is all excited to try living in this new world he starts to appreciate it more.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Disqualified from Otherworldliness has been picked up again so if you missed my favorite suicidal author now is the time.

We'll see how long it takes for this group to drop it. The longest streak has been 5 chapters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SubNat posted:

It also explains why isekai-people are almost always hot: Levelling up makes you more attractive. (Though I guess it's more of a 'your body reflects your stats' thing, to some degree.)
The point that most people just straight up don't recognize him afterwards is interesting, since he essentially popped through second-puberty in a matter of... weeks?

I'm sure someone's already done it in a LN already but I want someone to play around with that. The protagonist looks basic like the general isekai style but then they turn on the Stats--> Appearance toggle and they suddenly look completely different. Like they go from average everyday highschooler Mikado Ryuugamine to Colossus.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I want to say World Customize Creator had something like that but I don't remember well enough to say for sure.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure someone's already done it in a LN already but I want someone to play around with that. The protagonist looks basic like the general isekai style but then they turn on the Stats--> Appearance toggle and they suddenly look completely different. Like they go from average everyday highschooler Mikado Ryuugamine to Colossus.

It doesn't do that, nor is it an LN, but Talyn: Rebirth has extremely powerful Social stats and skills. Like, average courtesans walking on the other side of the street completely dominating the MC's attention because she's a low-level otherworlder with little resistance and no previous experience with what's happening.

(Quality-wise the book's ... fine, but it's the first, and currently only, in a series and kinda ends in an unsatisfactory cliffhanger. The Beesong Chronicles is a better LitRPG by the same author, though it doesn't make Social stuff that powerful.)

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Can anyone help me find a manga I’m looking for? It had a “seinen” art style and it came out on a monthly basis. It was about a fantasy vr mmo and there was action. I think one of the characters was talking to a therapist at one point. Or maybe the character was a therapist himself? There was also action in this manga.

I know it’s not much to go on sorry.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Was it a webtoon style thing with the long pages? I have a few guesses if so.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i know what you are talking about but i don't remember the name. the mc was a therapist for vrmmo addiction whose last resort was to repeatedly kill his patients in-game.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i know what you are talking about but i don't remember the name. the mc was a therapist for vrmmo addiction whose last resort was to repeatedly kill his patients in-game.

Yes this is the one! There were only like 3 chapters available when I first discovered it so I made a mental note to check up on it again in a few years. Now it’s been a few years but I forgot the name.

habituallyred posted:

Was it a webtoon style thing with the long pages? I have a few guesses if so.

No it was a regular black and white manga.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm very simple, I like villainess isekai that are about combat and/or actions. It's why I think:

May I Please Ask You Just One Last Thing?

Villainess Level 99 ~I May Be the Hidden Boss but I'm Not the Demon Lord~

Beware of the Villainess

The Villainess Reverses the Hourglass

Are all extremely good. And now I've found a new one with an interesting premise.

Strongest Survival with an Otome Game's Heroine

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I feel like the author of Craft Game No Nouryoku De Isekai Kouryaku played some modded Minecraft or something because they seem to be hip to the Blood Moon.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RareAcumen posted:

Are all extremely good. And now I've found a new one with an interesting premise. Strongest Survival with an Otome Game's Heroine
Wow, I haven't seen an opening like that before. Thanks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like that one. the hobo child focus reminds me of this, albeit much more interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for the larger storyline, it is sort of like this. but that one kind of pisses me off. you know that joke from futurama where hermes reorganizes the forced labor spa so that it ran on the labor of a single australian man? that's basically their whole society, but the story keeps trying to make the people exploiting the child soldier sympathetic without making them stop exploiting her. so, hopefully strongest survival doesn't go like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I feel like the author of Craft Game No Nouryoku De Isekai Kouryaku played some modded Minecraft or something because they seem to be hip to the Blood Moon.

drat now I want a Terraria inspired isekai.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

On the topic of finding lost Manga, there was another one I remember that I lost track of during the Fall of Mangadex.

Some soldier died in a monster/demon war, rubberbanded back to when he was born and started training/gearing up early to save his hometown (as that was one of the first targets hit when enemies suddenly started massing. )
I can't remember much specific about it, other than him protecting the town by setting up a giant circular wall ahead of time under the town that he just popped up out of the ground when the attack hit.

It's very similar to
Hiraheishi wa Kako wo Yumemiru / The Soldier Sees a Dream About the Past

In that they both feature a solider rubberbanding back in time, and immediately prepping for the future war and (I think?) training other kids + townpeople with magic and tech that would later be developed during the war.

I actually thought it was that, until the plot went in an entirely different direction. Took me a while to realize it was a different series.

Does it ring any bells for anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SubNat posted:

On the topic of finding lost Manga, there was another one I remember that I lost track of during the Fall of Mangadex.

Some soldier died in a monster/demon war, rubberbanded back to when he was born and started training/gearing up early to save his hometown (as that was one of the first targets hit when enemies suddenly started massing. )
I can't remember much specific about it, other than him protecting the town by setting up a giant circular wall ahead of time under the town that he just popped up out of the ground when the attack hit.

It's very similar to
Hiraheishi wa Kako wo Yumemiru / The Soldier Sees a Dream About the Past

In that they both feature a solider rubberbanding back in time, and immediately prepping for the future war and (I think?) training other kids + townpeople with magic and tech that would later be developed during the war.

I actually thought it was that, until the plot went in an entirely different direction. Took me a while to realize it was a different series.

Does it ring any bells for anyone?

https://mangasee123.com/manga/Shi-ni-Modori-Subete-wo-Sukuu-Tame-ni-Saikyou-He-to-Itaru

I don't recall that it ever returned to mangadex