Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

No. 6 posted:

Hot take: they are using the war as an excuse. In fact the game is far from ready.

Nintendo doesn't bother doing that, they just say "it's delayed because it's not done yet" and we're always the better for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Easily the second best Fzero and second worst Fzero

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They delayed it because it's unmarketable. I called this a week ago. They can't advertise it or roll out any of their already produced spots without backlash.

They'll wait a few months til people have gotten used to the war and don't care anymore

Yeah the actual release date is a month off, but this would normally be the time where they aggressively market the title, but current events make that a bad idea. And a silent release for a franchise they just revived is absolutely not something they’d want, especially when it’s one of the smaller ones they have.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Too bad they didn't have it ready in December like they originally planned

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This wouldn't have happened if they got Wayforward to do a remake of Genealogy of a Holy War instead. :colbert:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Palmtree Panic posted:

Was pretty meh at the OLED reveal, but it really is a massive improvement if you play handheld.

I took a picture of what I thought was a pretty good example of how amazing the oled screen is compared to the original.

And this is coming from someone who thinks the OG Switch screen is really really good.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe I’ll buy Rune Factory 5 with the Advance Wars money I have set aside. Unless some farming crisis pops up and that gets delayed too

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A while back, right before Wario Ware came out, Amazon had those straight up $15 off coupons that could be applied towards upcoming releases and I put one on Advance Wars. I'm not in a gigantic hurry to play it since I'm stretched too thin at the moment as it is but I do wish I had applied that coupon towards Triangle Strategy or something that came out sooner.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I haven't played Rune Factory since the first one. Is that a good buy for my partner who has dumped over 600 hours into Stardew but has played very few other games?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Len posted:

I haven't played Rune Factory since the first one. Is that a good buy for my partner who has dumped over 600 hours into Stardew but has played very few other games?

Definitely.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Extremely so

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I was disappointed in the latest Story of Seasons and was told most of the old Harvest Moon guard is on this new Rune Factory so I’m interested in how it turns out. Never played a RF game before

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Rune Factory is basically a farming game with combat mechanics, with more emphasis on the combat aspect than Harvest Moon.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Rune Factory has a similar structure regarding town/npcs and relationships and stuff. But you do have to contend with combat being a major feature of the game that's about/more important than farming too. It's at least way more interesting than Stardew's combat, but you'll still have it as a frequent part of your daily routine. So it's not a 1:1 recommendation but Rune Factory is extremely good anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Of the three console F-Zeros I think X is the one I like the least but probably played it the most due to it being middle school and we needed more multiplayer games.

That said I still love it and am excited especially with the N64 controller.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What RE4 port had gyro controls?

Commander Keene posted:

Similarly, I've filled up the game card slots in my current Switch case, what's the best option if I want to be able to continue to carry my full collection around with me and I don't necessarily want to exclude buying more physical games? Preferably something that can fit in a laptop bag with my Switch case.

My Switch case has a zipper thing in front meant for accessories and I just put all my games in there. Like I literally have 43 games in there and they all fit.

And that's ignoring the fact that it still has these under the console

It came with those little red cases that you put Switch games in but they fell out all the goddamn time which was what made me think of the zipper thing and I'm glad I did.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ah man, bummer about advance wars

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

My Switch case has a zipper thing in front meant for accessories and I just put all my games in there. Like I literally have 43 games in there and they all fit.

And that's ignoring the fact that it still has these under the console

It came with those little red cases that you put Switch games in but they fell out all the goddamn time which was what made me think of the zipper thing and I'm glad I did.

I have that case. I just bought a couple Velcro dots and stuck them to the red things

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Steam, if you gently caress with the control settings. I had (still have) a Steam controller and played through RE4 with gyro using that. Loved it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

I took a picture of what I thought was a pretty good example of how amazing the oled screen is compared to the original.

And this is coming from someone who thinks the OG Switch screen is really really good.

Not that anyone's keeping track but I decided against it since I already have a special ACNH Switch which is already a v2. Not really worth shelling out full price for just the slightly stronger screen and amazing-but-will-prolly-never-use kickstand. If I somehow come into it cheaper, then yeah I would, but I'm okay for now. I'm a modest gamer :shobon:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't care how impressive the screen is, $350 is a ludicrous amount to pay for a tablet chip from 2012. They could have easily used the introduction of the OLED as an opportunity to shift the regular box to $250 and slot the OLED in at $300.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
luckily you not only get the chip you also get one of the best consoles of all time praise be

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

luckily you not only get the chip you also get one of the best consoles of all time praise be

already have that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
why not get the true goated OLED gaming option, the Fat Vita

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why not get the true goated OLED gaming option, the Fat Vita

loaded up loads of games on SCUMM emulator on vita last night, feels good

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Somewhere out there is a timeline where Sony put SD memory in the Vita, and I envy them.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

The OLED is good because I dont need to buy it and can buy games instead

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Fuuuuuck I love Advance Wars so much and I've been blueballed on a new game so long, and now I can't even get the remaster without multiple delays

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Detective No. 27 posted:

This wouldn't have happened if they got Wayforward to do a remake of Genealogy of a Holy War instead. :colbert:

You know, I never would've thought of Wayforward for the eventual Genealogy remake, but now you've got me wondering what it would look like in their usual artstyle.

It'd definitely be a unique look, that's for sure.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Advance Wars delay is disappointing. I feel like there wouldn’t be much backlash if they released it next month.

At least there is Triangle Strategy to hold me over.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't like the gyro controls because my hands are nowhere near steady enough for those. If I do manage to line up a shot, half the time I end up jerking the controller slightly to the side when I have to hit the trigger button and miss.

I didn't have this issue on the Wii, and I don't think it's because the aiming was all that different or better, but because it had a much clunkier controller than the joycon that my limp wrists could hold steady. Probably also helps that the fire button was on top of it and could be hit with a thumb.

E: I agree with whoever said the release probably wouldn't be a big issue, and it has more to do with them reviving a dead franchise and wanting to advertise the poo poo out of it. Which, the game basically being a cute WWII simulator, would generate backlash right now.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 9, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

as i said in here before, i have such shaky hands that i used to be on medication for it and i have zero issues with gyro. perhaps i'm just really good at gaming....

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have very steady hands when it comes to a lot of other fine motoric tasks which do not involve my weak wrists. I know nothing of the specific mechanisms involved in being good at gyro targeting, and am just offering my personal experience for the anecdote vault.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I only ever used gyro in Botw for bow hunting and it's amazing and I'm a grognard that hates anything new

I have Doom 2016 for Switch and I just tried gyro controls due to this thread and it's fantastic. I'm glad I saw that post because I didn't even know it was an option. It's like playing a different game. Max sensitivity seems a bit much though. Otherwise I definitely agree with the poster. It's so much better.

Also I can see not getting the oled Switch if you already have an original one. I ended up modding the old one and giving it to my kids, so the oled is my "legit" main one now. Games actually look a lot better on it, like they're higher resolution or something. I notice the sharpness around 3d characters a lot more. It looks sharper even though it probably isn't. It's a really high end screen from what I read. Someone even tried to give it burn in and it was almost impossible. I'm really surprised they even released it because they're not known for ever using good screens.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If anything it should be less sharp because it's a bigger screen but the same resolution!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i kinda want to get one to replay hollow knight..... those black levels on an OLED screen.....

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i kinda want to get one to replay hollow knight..... those black levels on an OLED screen.....

Yep I know. It reminds me of when you play GameCube games in high def on the pc or something.

Playing Doom makes me feel like the game just came out on this thing even though it's 7 years old. It's a really big difference and that's considering the stock OG 2017 screen is very good to begin with.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I would say the biggest ones for me are that, Doom, Rayman Legends, and Mario 3d World.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Handsome Ralph posted:

Well that sucks. Totally understand why they're doing this and I get it, but I was also really looking forward to playing this again. Hopefully they don't delay it indefinitely.

My thoughts exactly. Besides, wasn’t the originally announced release date like last October or November?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Advance Wars DLC will include a new faction: farmers that steal your tanks with their tractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

American McGay posted:

I don't care how impressive the screen is, $350 is a ludicrous amount to pay for a tablet chip from 2012. They could have easily used the introduction of the OLED as an opportunity to shift the regular box to $250 and slot the OLED in at $300.

Lol you're so mad