Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Doom Mathematic posted:

This already exists, there are these fake $1 bills which unfold and it says something like "I'm giving you something much more valuable than money... the word of Jesus Christ!"

everyone who ever leaves that bullshit as a tip deserves to be decapitated and sent to hell by jesus himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Doom Mathematic posted:

This already exists, there are these fake $1 bills which unfold and it says something like "I'm giving you something much more valuable than money... the word of Jesus Christ!"

they’re usually fake $20 bills though, to provide an extra twist of the knife to the poor server given one

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If I were impaneled onto a jury for a person who received one of those then I would refuse to convict. Not guilty of uh, whatever it is you said the defendant is charged with, your honor.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also, not from hn per se but I still wanted to repost it because it contains one of the most savage burns i have seen in recent memory

https://idlewords.com/2005/04/dabblers_and_blowhards.htm

quote:

I am not qualified to call bullshit on Paul Graham when he writes about programming, history, starting a business, or even growing up as a social pariah, but I do know enough about art to see when someone is just making poo poo up.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

HellsMaddy 3 hours ago | next [–]

You all joke that this doesn’t happen in practice, but something like this literally just bit me and it took me a few too many minutes to figure out what was going on.
I use a bash script as my BROWSER which calls another bash script to launch or communicate with my browser that I run inside a container. The script that my BROWSER script calls has some debug output that it prints to stderr.
I use mutt as my email client and urlscan [0] to open URLs inside emails. Urlscan looks at my BROWSER environment variable and thus calls my script to open whatever URL I target. Some time recently, the urlscan author decided to improve the UX by hiding stderr so that it wouldn’t pollute the view, and so attempted to pipe it to `/dev/null`. I guess their original code to do this wasn’t quite correct and it ended up closing the child processes’ stderr.*
I generally use `set -e` (errexit) because I want my scripts to fail if any command fails (I consider that after an unhandled failure the script’s behavior is undefined, some other people disagree and say you should never use `set -e` outside of development, but I digress). My BROWSER scripts are no exception.
While my scripts handle non-zero returns for most things that can go wrong, I never considered that writing log messages to stdout or stderr might fail. But it did, which caused the script to die before it was able to launch my browser. For a few weeks I wasn’t able to use urlscan to open links. I was too lazy to figure out what was wrong, and when I did it took me a while because I looked into every possibility except this one.
Luckily this wasn’t a production app. But I know now it could just as feasibly happen in production, too.
I opened an issue[1] and it was fixed very quickly. I love open source!
*No disrespect to urlscan, it’s an awesome tool and bugs happen to all of us!
[0]: https://github.com/firecat53/urlscan
[1]: https://github.com/firecat53/urlscan/issues/122

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

fritz posted:

it could just as feasibly happen in production, too

may have to disagree there

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fritz posted:

HellsMaddy 3 hours ago | next [–]

You all joke that this doesn’t happen in practice, but something like this literally just bit me and it took me a few too many minutes to figure out what was going on.
I use a bash script as my BROWSER which calls another bash script to launch or communicate with my browser that I run inside a container. The script that my BROWSER script calls has some debug output that it prints to stderr.
I use mutt as my email client and urlscan [0] to open URLs inside emails. Urlscan looks at my BROWSER environment variable and thus calls my script to open whatever URL I target. Some time recently, the urlscan author decided to improve the UX by hiding stderr so that it wouldn’t pollute the view, and so attempted to pipe it to `/dev/null`. I guess their original code to do this wasn’t quite correct and it ended up closing the child processes’ stderr.*
I generally use `set -e` (errexit) because I want my scripts to fail if any command fails (I consider that after an unhandled failure the script’s behavior is undefined, some other people disagree and say you should never use `set -e` outside of development, but I digress). My BROWSER scripts are no exception.
While my scripts handle non-zero returns for most things that can go wrong, I never considered that writing log messages to stdout or stderr might fail. But it did, which caused the script to die before it was able to launch my browser. For a few weeks I wasn’t able to use urlscan to open links. I was too lazy to figure out what was wrong, and when I did it took me a while because I looked into every possibility except this one.
Luckily this wasn’t a production app. But I know now it could just as feasibly happen in production, too.
I opened an issue[1] and it was fixed very quickly. I love open source!
*No disrespect to urlscan, it’s an awesome tool and bugs happen to all of us!
[0]: https://github.com/firecat53/urlscan
[1]: https://github.com/firecat53/urlscan/issues/122

this poster’s profile and linked personal site is not what I expected after reading that workflow

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

guess the topic:

mechanical_bear 32 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

No, but possibly one of the greatest forces of good we have conjured as humans.

a: capitalism

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

this poster’s profile and linked personal site is not what I expected after reading that workflow

i was mostly surprised that rms posts on hn

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

fritz posted:

guess the topic:

mechanical_bear 32 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

No, but possibly one of the greatest forces of good we have conjured as humans.

a: capitalism

moral good is when you allocate resources efficiently and the more efficiently you allocate resources the more good it is. also economic rent is efficient now

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
epolanski 56 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Also, if you care about environment consider not getting an animal at all.

The idea that we grow food to feed cattle or fish to feed pets is among the biggest environmental stupidity I can think of.

I went vegetarian to help the environment and here people feeding dogs and cats fish and meat. Makes me think I do it all for nothing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
He's right, we should just plant great fields of corn over wherever it is that fish live.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Xik posted:

The idea that we grow food to feed cattle or fish to feed pets is among the biggest environmental stupidity I can think of.

I went vegetarian to help the environment and here people feeding dogs and cats fish and meat. Makes me think I do it all for nothing.

agreed, i'd like to live in the zootopia reality as well

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xik posted:

This is pretty good trolling tbh

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
going down memory lane with a link to the history of java which was elided from "the java handbook"

http://www.blinkenlights.com/classiccmp/javaorigin.html

oops the author is a pedo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Naughton

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS > hn thread: oops the author is a pedo

mystes
May 31, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS > hn thread: oops the author is a pedo
It's there an http status code for that?

the 1st amendment
Mar 10, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ultravoices posted:

going down memory lane with a link to the history of java which was elided from "the java handbook"

http://www.blinkenlights.com/classiccmp/javaorigin.html

what was the programming room like? they all never gave a poo poo about memory or was too much memory usage a persistent issue or?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

an undiagnosed economics phd just logged in

zhte415 6 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Often a comparison is made about the cost of electricity, a valid comparison. But, there's more.

How much space does this cost?

This is a desktop vs laptop, and or, a location vs location argument.

A desktop case takes around 0.2m2 floor space. Now, for simplicity's sake as San Francisco is often incorrectly assumed to be where most readers of HN live, but given that we're all somewhat versed in SF prices: A 1 bedroom, say 60m2, apartment costs about $3000. So, that desktop case is costing about $10 per month in floor space. That's $120 per year, or $600 for 5 years. Quickly adds up!

You could run the numbers for where you live. While a desktop could be put under a desk and may not initially factor in as an explicit cost, everything is at the opportunity cost. Say, your legs, or a houseplant, neither of which cost anything in electricity or upfront cost.

(Written on an 11 year old X220 with an i3 processor.)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

NihilCredo posted:

an undiagnosed economics phd just logged in

zhte415 6 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Often a comparison is made about the cost of electricity, a valid comparison. But, there's more.

How much space does this cost?

This is a desktop vs laptop, and or, a location vs location argument.

A desktop case takes around 0.2m2 floor space. Now, for simplicity's sake as San Francisco is often incorrectly assumed to be where most readers of HN live, but given that we're all somewhat versed in SF prices: A 1 bedroom, say 60m2, apartment costs about $3000. So, that desktop case is costing about $10 per month in floor space. That's $120h per year, or $600 for 5 years. Quickly adds up!

You could run the numbers for where you live. While a desktop could be put under a desk and may not initially factor in as an explicit cost, everything is at the opportunity cost. Say, your legs, or a houseplant, neither of which cost anything in electricity or upfront cost.

(Written on an 11 year old X220 with an i3 processor.)

Evicted my toaster because it wasn't paying it's share of the rent.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ask HN: Any weird tips for weight loss?
126 points by fatmoron 8 hours ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 512 comments
I am overweight and just curious. My theory, though untested, is that getting an oxygen tank might speed up passive weight loss substantially. 84% of all weight that is lost is in the form of carbon dioxide, and I wonder if upping the amount of carbon dioxide exhaled would lead to more weight loss. Oxygen only makes up 21% of our air. I am making the assumption that the lungs can handle being 100% saturated.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mystes posted:

It's there an http status code for that?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fritz posted:

126 points by fatmoron 8 hours ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 512 comments
I am overweight and just curious. My theory, though untested, is that getting an oxygen tank might speed up passive weight loss substantially. 84% of all weight that is lost is in the form of carbon dioxide, and I wonder if upping the amount of carbon dioxide exhaled would lead to more weight loss. Oxygen only makes up 21% of our air. I am making the assumption that the lungs can handle being 100% saturated.

helium huffing to beat the scale

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the amount of effort people put in to trying to deny that the only way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more is just astonishing

next up: drinking nothing but ice cold water so your body has to burn calories to heat it up to 98.6 degrees. the more cold water you drink, the more calories your body expends, and the more weight you lose!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

sylware 3 days ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: The Dirty Pipe Vulnerability

This will be worst over time until "more planned obsolescence than anything else" code is committed into the linux kernel. Many parts of the linux kernel are "done", but you will have always some ppl which will manage to commit stuff in order to force people to upgrade. This is very accute with "backdoor injectors for current and futur CPUs", aka compilers: you should be able to compile git linux git with gcc 4.7.4 (the last C gcc which has beyond than enough extensions to write a kernel), and if someting needs to be done in linux code closely related to compiler support, it should be _removing_ stuff without breaking such compiler support, _NOT_ adding stuff which makes linux code compile only with a very recent gcc/clang. For instance, in the network stack, tons of switch/case and initializer statements don't use constant expressions. Fixing this in the network stack was refused, I tried. Lately, you can see some linux devs pouring code using the toxic "_Generic" c11 keyword, instead of using type explicit code, or new _mandadory_ builtins did pop up (I did detect them is 5.16 while upgrading from 5.13) which are available only in recent gcc/clang. When you look at the pertinence of those changes, those are more "planned obsolescence 101" than anything else. It is really disappointing.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
you had me at “backdoor injectors”

only handcrafted artisanal binaries are good enough for this guy. better brush up on machine code.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that guy is going to have an aneurysm when the first rust commit hits

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

he's consistent at least

sylware 5 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Essential C [pdf]

Could you tell the linux kernel devs to stop pouring tons of extensions and non C89 (with benign bits of c99/c11) code everywhere?
For instance in the whole network stack, some "agents of the planned obsolescence" did not use constant expressions in switch/case statements or initializers. Also tell those who are using that toxic c11 "Generic" keyword to use explicit code instead. I think, the main issue for C now is the standard body trying to obsolete stable in time C code and forcing upon devs/integrators the usage of the only few compilers which are able to follow fast enough their tantrums (latest gcc/latest clang). Results: all attempts to provide "working" alternative C compilers is beyond reasonable. This is becoming so accute, it is more likely to be a worldwide scam than anything else.
Yep, open source software is not enough anymore, it needs to be lean, simple but able to do reasonably "the job", and ofc very stable in time hence C89 only with benign bits of c99/c11, or "standard assembly".

sylware 6 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Cybercriminals who breached Nvidia issue one of th...

That's why tegra "crippled" driver went into libdrm just recently? Bad timing? Or is this to prepare code "release" namely some full open source driver support? That said, "open source" is not enough anymore: Lean code using simple and very stable in time C (C89 with benign bits of c99/c11 and no more) is as much as important nowadays. Cyber Robin Wood.

sylware 26 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Epic Games' CEO Tim Sweeney: Linux has a 'terrific...

When I think epic: the unreal engine, a concurrent of the steam client (payment and internet distribution). Buildings binaries for distribution on linux OSes requires more experienced and more work than on the other OSes. Being a user of steam games, and as a developer, the following is what I think of, that to maximize compatibily and augment binaries life time:
* Be pure ELF64 (exe and so), which depends only on libdl (static loading) and its 3 symbols (dlopen/dlsym/dlclose). Pure ELF64 means it must not use "main()" but the SYSV ELF ABI entry point (which is actually almost main()...) and use fine grained linking. * use pthread TLS, and not ELF TLS symbols (do not know if compilers provides "switches" to do that). * window system: wayland(static code)->x11(xcb libs) fallback. * 3D, gfx acceleration: vulkan (GL... mmmh... I would drop it) if the binaries are a game or a GUI which _really_ needs some sort of hardware acceleration (CPU with media instructions are seriously fast for 2D). * input: dynamically load libxkbcommon(wayland) libxkbcommon-x11(x11), that for the client side xkb state machine which is fed with keycode inputs. Joystick support would directly use kernel events and the evdev file protocol. * sound: dynamically load libasound (pulse and pipewire are hidden behind the alsa api, if ever present since it could be a simple dmix/dsnoop).
Unfortunately, c++ being c++, gcc/clanc/etc c++ runtime must be forked to be libdl-ized (since it is not the case), and all 3rd party libs.
This is significant work, but brutal and supposely ez.

sylware 37 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: The Problem with C (2020)

I stick to lean and simple C89 with benign bits of c99/c11. With nice tables of functions and clever recursive pre-processor naming, you can scale that easily to large modular applications and keep everything very clean. The absolute and unquestionable truth: a c++ compiler is abysmally more complex and hard to write than a C (89 with benign bits of c99/c11) compiler, and this is mecanically true due to the syntax complexity difference. There are many shmol and cute alternatives C compilers out there (and there are working better each day which goes by, and some are doing more than enough optimizations), and I would like to use them, that which is not possible with c++, due to its complexity hence shuting the door hard on any reasonable efforts of writing a "working" alternative. That said, personnaly, I have high hopes (maybe too high) if RISC-V is successful: I see everything assembly (not even C anymore) with high level script languages of the like of python/javascript/lua/etc. I am writting more and more assembly these days (mostly x86_64 though, desktop RISC-V are only starting to ramp up in performance), and the main pitfall seems to be the abuse of the macro language of the assembler, which could be averted if explicitely aware of this bias.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
risc-v is esperanto but for computer nerds

didn't read the rest

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
they really like the phrase "C89 (with benign bits of c99/c11)"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m curious if declaring variables anywhere but the top of the function counts as “benign”

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

it's pretty transparently "features i am struggling to implement in my personal c compiler"

also

quote:

clever recursive pre-processor naming

mmmm

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

fritz posted:

he's consistent at least

:words:

I like this nerd. He seems like a harmless weirdo (who really likes parentheses).

A nice change to the usual crypto libertarians.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

fritz posted:

hell of an assumption, did anyone bother to correct him?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

kitten emergency posted:

hell of an assumption, did anyone bother to correct him?

I hope not, for the sake of future hilarity when he posts an update from the hospital, TCC style

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

"PG seems to truly live out Jesus' wisdom and the Golden Rule." - gunapologist99
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30651233

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Overtonwindow 5 minutes ago | prev [–]

For a while I was pushing the no-fly zone as well, until I read this article. I'm surprised Russia would be heading for an outright defeat, and if true they've marshaled the bulk of Russian forces in this conflict, I have to wonder what the rest of the defense position looks like for Russia?
For example, if China were to, say, start rolling across Siberia, besides moving the mother of all bowel movements, there's absolutely no way in my mind Russia could stop a complete Chinese defeat.
In fact, if China did invade Russia, they could do so to "stop a raving mad man" and I dare say be cheered on by many in the west. China could...almost redeem a piece of itself. That would start a nuclear war, however, because Putin would simply press the button..but it's fodder for thought how China could play a role.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Ask HN: How would you build a 1000 year Bandcamp?

djohnston 1 hour ago | prev [–]
Blockchain. Seriously.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
not HN but it easily could be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

sillysaurusx 15 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

I don’t understand how delivering software is related to “how can I prepare for hard economic times?”
Let me tell you, as one of the highest performing team members in every organization I’ve been at: if a manager doesn’t care about you, no amount of performance will help you. It didn’t help me.
And whether a manager cares about you is mostly luck of the draw. Sure, there’s politics at play. But the most common situation is that you’re not really helpful to their career mobility.
In that situation, “learn to ship software” is the opposite of helpful. If your manager doesn’t have your back, and you can sense this, you need to look for a new job. Because I guarantee you’ll be the first to go. It all comes down to whether some dude in a proverbial suit likes you.
(Isn’t it interesting how it’s always some dude? I feel like women would be better suited to actually caring about team members.)
You should at least mention to those young devs that performance is one of the least important aspects of being a part of a team, for 97% of companies. It’s table stakes. Raising the stakes won’t help you if you can’t play the game.
As for preparing for hard economic times, my advice is pretty simple. Exploit the good times, and never assume it will last. If you can’t survive losing your income for three months, make changes. That’s pretty much it.