Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

The thing I don't understand about J-borg (ok one of the many things) is why is she a robot if she doesn't act like one? I mean most of her scenes she comes off as just a bumbling person. Also the hair, what's the deal with that hair?

I mean, you know what androids are, right?

They're not even a new thing in PR. We've had more than one Ranger that was one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't really like the J Borg/Jane stuff at all. The main weakness of the show.

Though objectively I think the actors playing both are doing a great job and a really good performance.

I think my favorite is Aiyon. Just the biggest idiot in the world. He might be as dumb as Zhane, and I love him. Unlike Zhane he's a very nice guy and kind. "No brain head empty fucks up constantly" is my favorite type of sixth ranger.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

And even besides that, robots that act like humans has been a thing ever since MMPR

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't really like the J Borg/Jane stuff at all. The main weakness of the show.

Though objectively I think the actors playing both are doing a great job and a really good performance.

I think my favorite is Aiyon. Just the biggest idiot in the world. He might be as dumb as Zhane, and I love him. Unlike Zhane he's a very nice guy and kind. "No brain head empty fucks up constantly" is my favorite type of sixth ranger.

Agreed, Zhane was a self absorbed rear end in a top hat a lot of the time while Aiyon is more of a well meaning idiot with a penchant for goofing off.

But overall I actually think Dino Fury is better than Ryusoulger in general to be honest (Slyther remains the best villain in both shows however).

Though as someone else mentioned I think the show would be a lot better if you just took out Jane and J-Borg (at least Ben and Betty from the last season could be useful on occasion)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 8, 2022

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Burkion posted:

You're killing me. I'm aware what an android is, my point is it doesn't really add much to the story and feels extremely out of place with the world they've set up. And my hair comment was about the style not that she has it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm finding that I'm laughing at a lot more little jokes than usual. Like Aiyon being suspicious of this "lie-brary" person, or Slyther going "It's not that bright", raising his visor and then immediately going "YES IT IS".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All I can say is that it seems like they wanted to build up connections to the past more.

Hartford has been looking into android tech since God knows when, and is a business man, so apparently he's started seeding them out into the world at large. The tech exists, now its spreading and becoming more mainstream/common place.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, Dino Fury loves it's casual references to past seasons. There's that, the Levi Weston song that Solon plays in the base, Izzy mentions Steel Silva's in a TV project, there's a funny whiteboard in the back during the episode with Ollie's scientist friend that has "The Future" on top of it and the highlighted first letters of the bullet points under it spell out "SPD". Plus, duh, the Zedd episode and also the other minor clip show when they're going to build the bike.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

Yeah, Dino Fury loves it's casual references to past seasons. There's that, the Levi Weston song that Solon plays in the base, Izzy mentions Steel Silva's in a TV project, there's a funny whiteboard in the back during the episode with Ollie's scientist friend that has "The Future" on top of it and the highlighted first letters of the bullet points under it spell out "SPD". Plus, duh, the Zedd episode and also the other minor clip show when they're going to build the bike.

Speaking of, considering he was mentioned again during one of Aiyon’s first few episodes and survived the Halloween episode I have a feeling we’re not done with Ol’ Ed just yet (at the moment I’m guessing there will either be some big crossover episode in the back half of season 2 or he’ll eventually get mutated into Ryusoulger’s final boss)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh right there was talk about that clip show elsewhere online and how it weirdly dubbed out Tommy's voice but kept others.

I looked into it and I think I figured out why that and the Zedd lines from last season were dubbed over. I could write a whole bunch of stuff it's not but really, I write enough and I'm trying to get a book finished-

It's the music. Specifically the BGM. When you watch the bike scene in its original form, you realize the line is exactly the same- but the BGM is blaring over Tommy's dialogue. It tapers down for Billy and Rocky, and more to the point, they add a whole distortion TO Billy and Rocky so that you can barely hear the BGM in Dino Fury. But it's so loud and so present for Tommy that there was no way they could do the same thing, so his line had to be cut and redubbed.

I bet you the same thing happened with Zedd. His theme was loud and omnipresent back in the day, so it'd make a lot of sense that they couldn't get away from it.

because as a reminder, all of the Saban music stuff was held under a different, apparently now defunct, company that wasn't bought by Disney. And that meant that when Saban bought it back, it did not carry forward. So they can show old episodes just fine, but they cannot include that footage in NEW episodes without having a rights issue that kicks them in the rear end.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How is the Ron Wasserman theme still fine, though? I mean, it's remixed and reworked but there's still clearly a "Go Go, Power Rangers" in a bunch of theme songs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

How is the Ron Wasserman theme still fine, though? I mean, it's remixed and reworked but there's still clearly a "Go Go, Power Rangers" in a bunch of theme songs.

You answered it.

They basically had to go out of their way to get the rights to a new version of the theme. This is probably why the movie theme was used for the 2017 film instead of the classic one.

You've never heard the actual classic theme since the Disney buyout, after all. Ron himself commented that he had to go back and redo ALL of those songs, and that most of his other songs are just flat out gone from that era. Including, and this is where it dovetails back to Disney being in some poo poo- the 90s X-Men music.

so look forward to that being a thing later.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can think of one thing they might do with J Borg, is get her interacting in some capacity with dinosaur mom, seeing as how they're both androids. Maybe they need a part to save one or the other or something.

What a side comedy character needs is motivation. Betty And the other guy wanted to be the best there is at their jobs. Bulk and skull wanted to unmask the rangers/be cops/detectives/turn back into humans/hold down a job. Vic wanted just one more trophy.

Jane already owns a thriving successful company and she mainly just seems to want to do whatever on a whim. J Borg just does whatever she's told. Her best character moments imo have been when she's shown concern for other people, kind of going beyond her role. While Jane's best moments have been when she's had to be the adult in the room like telling Javi's dad he needed to watch what Javi had done.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My favorite moment with them was that one where Jane's teaching J-Borg about wishing fountains, the villains hop in and hide, they discover that cell phones are down, J-Borg tosses a coin in and wishes that they had a way to contact the Rangers, Jane notices a landline phone and tries to use it and it doesn't work and J-Borg goes "I want a refund."

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Larryb posted:

Considering they’ve already poached two suits from it for unrelated shows I think we can safely say that ToQger is officially off the table as far as a potential adaption goes.

I mean... IF they wanted to ever adapt it they could go full original villain team and and there are still at least 3 villain suits they haven;t used yet that could still match with some footage.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mateo360 posted:

I mean... IF they wanted to ever adapt it they could go full original villain team and and there are still at least 3 villain suits they haven;t used yet that could still match with some footage.

True, though even so I’m not sure how well the whole train concept would sell in the west. It’s possible at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I’ve gotta say, Dino Fury’s set up some really interesting plot threads so far (Amelia’s parents, the fate of Rafkon, Santaura being the real big bad, and possibly Zedd being mixed up in all this somehow). I am very curious to see what’s in store for the final half of the show.

Like I said, in a lot of ways I actually think this show is better than the Sentai it was adapted from

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I just hope that, whatever gets adapted next, they drop the stupid cockpit weapons (Mega Fury Saber, Cheetah Beast Blaster, etc.). I get that it's an easy way to sell yet another toy but they're just so stupid.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also now that Power Rangers is exclusive to Netflix I’m curious if they’ll keep to Nickelodeon’s “2 seasons per show” rule for the next series or just do it as one big show they release a handful of episodes of at a time

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

serefin99 posted:

I just hope that, whatever gets adapted next, they drop the stupid cockpit weapons (Mega Fury Saber, Cheetah Beast Blaster, etc.). I get that it's an easy way to sell yet another toy but they're just so stupid.

They always look like downgrades of the weapons they already have.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Larryb posted:

Also now that Power Rangers is exclusive to Netflix I’m curious if they’ll keep to Nickelodeon’s “2 seasons per show” rule for the next series or just do it as one big show they release a handful of episodes of at a time

Netflix likes to order one season of a thing then package and market it as multiple seasons so if anything it would probably be split more.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Netflix likes to order one season of a thing then package and market it as multiple seasons so if anything it would probably be split more.

Ah right. I forget, does Netflix have a specific cap on how many episodes a single season can be or is that up to the people working on said show?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Ah right. I forget, does Netflix have a specific cap on how many episodes a single season can be or is that up to the people working on said show?

Honestly I'm not sure.

Cuphead got like, 70 something episodes that they split off into seasons despite the creators calling THAT a season

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

There's not a cap. And I believe it's something that's negotiated in the contract or determined by production to manage workflow and such.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I do hope that even if the amount of episodes stays roughly the same they drop them all within the same year/stretch of time so we can get back to 1 season a year like the good old days.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Junpei posted:

I do hope that even if the amount of episodes stays roughly the same they drop them all within the same year/stretch of time so we can get back to 1 season a year like the good old days.

I don't think we'll see that pace again if only because there's going to be seasons like ToQger, LuPat, and now DonBrothers that wouldn't work for some reason or another and are best skipped

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't think we'll see that pace again if only because there's going to be seasons like ToQger, LuPat, and now DonBrothers that wouldn't work for some reason or another and are best skipped

That's a bummer. One of my favorite things back in the day was seeing PR being forced to adopt every Sentai season and thus having to figure out what to do with the stock footage. Made for a lot of creativity, such as Turbo, in Space, Lost Galaxy or RPM.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

Not sure why DonBrothers wouldn't work beyond the anniversary part of it having shows that weren't adapted, which sure as hell didn't stop Super Megaforce from existing (much as it should have)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The whole Momotaro theming in the red would be a nightmare to adapt and market

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The entire TEAM in DonBrothers is based on Momotaro (Yellow is the Oni and the other 3 are the animals). Based on the current toy listings/rumors the upcoming Sixth also appears to be based on the Kintaro legend

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

Why? Or rather, why would it be worse than adapting the incredibly Japanese Shinkenger, something Power Rangers already did?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Blaze Dragon posted:

Why? Or rather, why would it be worse than adapting the incredibly Japanese Shinkenger, something Power Rangers already did?

Samurai are at least a thing your average American child would know about. The Tale of Momotaro? Not as much.

They could still probably whip something up, but if they're not required to do every season, why not just do the ones that'll make for easier adaptations?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I feel like if nothing else the Pink in DonBrothers being a CG Slender Man is going to be a huge deterrent

Way I figure the next season is probably going to be either Kyuuranger or Zenkaiger with whichever didn't get used being the one after, hopefully by then the season after DonBrothers is a return to more standard Super Sentai aesthetics

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My bet's on Kiramager.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They'll definitely do Kiramager and it's not hard for them to do Zenkaiger since the numbers aren't that obtrusive compared to Momotaro's peach

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

They'll definitely do Kiramager and it's not hard for them to do Zenkaiger since the numbers aren't that obtrusive compared to Momotaro's peach

Also apart from Kaito and Stacey, all the other rangers are modeled after seasons that were previously adapted into PR and any unrelated Gears can either be cut or replaced with new footage.

But yeah, Kiramager seems like the most likely candidate for adaption next all things considered (only problem is that the Zords don’t really seem like they’d sell that well over here)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 10, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Junpei posted:

My bet's on Kiramager.

I still just can't see it, the way the Mecha work in that season is going to be impossible to make good toys out of

Xelkelvos posted:

True, heck considering most of them are robots it could probably be written off as being like model numbers or something

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also apart from Kaito and Stacey, all the other rangers are modeled after seasons that were previously adapted into PR and any unrelated Gears can either be cut or replaced with new footage.

Heck if they keep the whole separate universes thing they could even just keep the unadapted seasons footage in and just add little expositions about them being Power Ranger teams from other universes, hopefully with better results than Super MegaForce did with all the "New Powers" stuff

Multiverse stuff is the hot thing in pop culture at the moment after all

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Heck if they keep the whole separate universes thing they could even just keep the unadapted seasons footage in and just add little expositions about them being Power Ranger teams from other universes, hopefully with better results than Super MegaForce did with all the "New Powers" stuff

Multiverse stuff is the hot thing in pop culture at the moment after all

Given what we’ve seen so far I have more faith in Hasbro in that regard than I did with Saban (the former somehow found a way to use the Space Sheriff Gavan footage in Beast Morphers for example, and somewhat decently at that)

Speaking of Saban, it’s still weird to me that they weren’t able to use any of the past Ranger cameo episodes of Ninninger during Ninja Steel but for some reason decided to still use the Jiraiya episode.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 10, 2022

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

drrockso20 posted:

I feel like if nothing else the Pink in DonBrothers being a CG Slender Man is going to be a huge deterrent

Don't forget Black looking like a Sonic OC!

drrockso20 posted:

I still just can't see it, the way the Mecha work in that season is going to be impossible to make good toys out of

I haven't seen anything of Kiramager, what do their zords do that would make it hard to toyify them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

True, heck considering most of them are robots it could probably be written off as being like model numbers or something

Model numbers or Sports player numbers which also coincidentally fits with the sports themes of the mecha combination sequences.

serefin99 posted:

I haven't seen anything of Kiramager, what do their zords do that would make it hard to toyify them?

I'm not 100% sure myself. If it's about them being separate characters, that's not that hard to utilize or write around. If it's the gem theme, I'd think that'd be a little trickier. I know my major gripe with the mecha is that its initial toy design makes it really easy to knock off the car on its shoulder just by moving the arm up too high.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 10, 2022