Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Also, while I love Legends, some of the more janky elements remind that I am in fact playing a game made by Gamefreak.

For example, if you have an item (Pokéball, berry, whatever) cocked and ready to throw, holding ZR, and you somehow pick up an item not previously in your current inventory (drop from a captured Pokémon, ore, tree, etc) then it will shift your entire item carousel one slot to the right and change the item you are currently holding in your hand.

And because my reaction time isn't instantaneous, I usually don't notice until I've already lobbed like 2 Aguav berries at the Pokémon I was literally just about to throw an ultra ball at. Because why would I assume that the item I had in my hand would just up and transmogrify into something else?

It's such a glaring issue that will 100% never be patched out.

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
My x Nuzlocke is going poorly. Heading to the fighting gym but am having to swap out multiple guys who will get absolutely waxed in there. Litleo and loudred both benched and now I’m frantically trying to level up sigilyph, gloom and nidorina to go with frogadier and spoink. Really wishing ivysaur wouldn’t have eaten it right about now

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

usually don’t besmirch my good friends that I pick at the start but grookey/the second form is boring as hell. get off my team.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Shiroc posted:

What I don't know is how, among the tens of thousands of Zubats I've encountered, how none of them have ever been shiny.

I have had a Perfect dex entry for Shinx/Bidoof/Starly for like 75% of the game, and now I have the Shiny Charm on top of that, and I still have never seen a shiny of those species despite probably having seen them 50 times more than any other Pokemon in the game.

But hey an Onix that I've seen like three times and just barely got level 10 on? Have a shiny!

StandardVC10 posted:

(Altaria can't learn Dragon Dance anymore because ???)

I was going to say that's some bullshit, but apparently it can still learn Dragon Dance. You just have to use a TR, it doesn't learn it by leveling anymore.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was going to say that's some bullshit, but apparently it can still learn Dragon Dance. You just have to use a TR, it doesn't learn it by leveling anymore.

Ah, but you see, I'm playing Brilliant Diamond, where TRs don't exist.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

usually don’t besmirch my good friends that I pick at the start but grookey/the second form is boring as hell. get off my team.

The final form makes up for the previous forms. Although it kind of suffers from the same issues as Serperior where it practically needs its hidden ability and one move in order to be viable.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Alright how the hell do you get Hoopa Unbound into Home? I've unlocked it in Alpha Sapphire and transferred that same Hoopa to Home but the Pokedex in Home doesn't show it unlocked.

Edit: Alright in Ultra Sun/Moon, Hoopa Unbound will stay as Hoopa Unbound in the PC and you can get it that way. Also you can get its signature move if you care about that.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 12, 2022

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got a third shiny while hunting around for wisps.

A male hippopotas, who was in a swamp and the only difference between regular and shiny is that the shiny is more desaturated so it was a bit of effort to figure out where the hell it was after I heard the chime.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Now I'm here to complain about Furfrou forms being in the Home Dex but unavailable unless you trade them in from Go or use a spoofer to maybe get one from other countries. They don't retain the haircuts when you put them in Bank and this is extremely dumb.

ForteanMan
Jun 3, 2020

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Now I'm here to complain about Furfrou forms being in the Home Dex but unavailable unless you trade them in from Go or use a spoofer to maybe get one from other countries. They don't retain the haircuts when you put them in Bank and this is extremely dumb.

Yeah I’ve been frustrated quite a few times trying to get all of the different Pokémon forms in Home. The Flabébé are ones who stick out in my mind most recently, mostly because catching the various colors is tedious.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is Bonsley an absurdly rare spawn in Legends or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Shiroc posted:

Is Bonsley an absurdly rare spawn in Legends or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Yes.

In the Crimson Mirelands they can spawn where the Sudowoodo usually spawn, but more often it spawns Sudowoodo. They can also appear in Ore deposits, they're also difficult to find.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm almost done with the Pokedex and I assume most of the legendaries come out of the post credits story. I have a feeling that getting the spawns for Magby and Bonsley are going to take a significant chunk of my remaining play time unless I just trade for them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
there’s only three-four specific ore deposits where a bonsly will spawn from, I suggest looking them up and just making a few runs back and forth to Jubilife. took me three gos to find one

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Bonsly spawn in the Skystone ore right near the Sudowoodo spawn in the Highlands. Anecdotally, that is the best bet for finding them.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Re Bonsly, you might also encounter them in massive mass outbreaks in the swamp. These unlock after you view the credits afaik

Remember to play in the tournament today to get your Zapdos if you haven't already

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I spent hours to get the Bonsley or a space time distortion to get a Magnemite and the RNG decided it was having no part of it. But I got a shiny Psyduck and a Magby. I want to close the book on this game but I can't do it until I have captured my Pokemon Legend: Arceus.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I got PLA a week ago, and the game is a little vague about the lost satchel mechanics. I don't have Switch Online, so does that mean that the stuff I lost after blacking out is gone forever, and the game's only keeping track of it in case I do decide to buy a subscription? Or is there some offline mechanic like there is for finding satchels?

Also, how does finding people with Ursaluna work? I just stumbled on the person you're supposed to find for the main plot while exploring, so if there was a tutorial there, I didn't get it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Shwoo posted:

I got PLA a week ago, and the game is a little vague about the lost satchel mechanics. I don't have Switch Online, so does that mean that the stuff I lost after blacking out is gone forever, and the game's only keeping track of it in case I do decide to buy a subscription? Or is there some offline mechanic like there is for finding satchels?

Also, how does finding people with Ursaluna work? I just stumbled on the person you're supposed to find for the main plot while exploring, so if there was a tutorial there, I didn't get it.

You get one quest per area to find that one lady with Ursaluna. Mount up, wander around until you see blue indicators. Follow them. Same as finding items.

I did the Avalugg fight at last and it's so much easier than Arcanine, goddamn.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't know for sure about the satchel stuff; I've only blacked out once, from learning that fall damage is a thing in the first area, and no one ever retreived my satchel even though I do have Online, so I'm pretty sure it's gone for good if you're offline.

Ursaluna indicates where items are with little green pulses. When you're searching for a person and they're within sniffin range, these will change to little blue pulses to show the direction the person is in. I don't know how big the radius is; it's wider than for items, but you still have to run around the map until you get close enough for the bear to catch the scent.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

HopperUK posted:

You get one quest per area to find that one lady with Ursaluna. Mount up, wander around until you see blue indicators. Follow them. Same as finding items.

I did the Avalugg fight at last and it's so much easier than Arcanine, goddamn.

I don’t know, I did Arcanine in 2-3 tries but Avalugg kind of killed my desire to continue with the game. I’m just not good at reflex-based gameplay, which is why I play Pokemon in the first place.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
the places the people get lost, from memory:

Fieldlands: In the area where there are a lot of Paras, northwest from the second camp I think
Swamplands: In the south of the map, by the river
Coastlands: At the northern tip of that large beach that takes up most of the south west of the map; on an island
Mountain: Somewhere near the second camp
Icelands: Down one of those holes

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm cleaning up in the postgame of Arceus too, but I'm more worried about where I'm going to find more Pichu and Togepi, I've only encountered like one each in the game and stupidly evolved Togepi too fast. As to satchels I have online and figure that because there's nobody around or on my friends list playing the game that the items from the two times I blacked out are gone. Lotta the same generic names keep losing theirs, but I'm glad AI ones are programmed in so the evo item shop isn't useless.

And although it wasn't perfect I enjoyed the hell out of Arceus, to the point that I do hope they incorporate some of it into Scarlet and Violet and my desire to finish Sword has died completely. I haven't had this much fun doing a post game pokedex run since Heart Gold.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm cleaning up in the postgame of Arceus too, but I'm more worried about where I'm going to find more Pichu and Togepi, I've only encountered like one each in the game and stupidly evolved Togepi too fast. As to satchels I have online and figure that because there's nobody around or on my friends list playing the game that the items from the two times I blacked out are gone. Lotta the same generic names keep losing theirs, but I'm glad AI ones are programmed in so the evo item shop isn't useless.

And although it wasn't perfect I enjoyed the hell out of Arceus, to the point that I do hope they incorporate some of it into Scarlet and Violet and my desire to finish Sword has died completely. I haven't had this much fun doing a post game pokedex run since Heart Gold.

In the Cobalt Coast there is a static Togepi spawn on the way to the shipwrecks, right before the Alpha Golduck.

Pichu is best found on the ridge with Pikachu an fricketot near the second camp at the center of the map. It's along the path that wraps around the Alpha Parasect pit.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Turbinosamente posted:

If you get loads of satchels with the same names it's because your game isn't online, check the settings to see if you're automatically connecting when the game starts up.

I only blacked out once so far and the satchel had been collected when I played the next day, I was lucky I guess.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It took me longer to find a Cherrubi than a Bonsly, and I made sure to whip their asses into shape to get a 10 rank dex entry on them before making them evolve like a Richard Simmons workout routine since I only found one and I was determined to get the most out of them.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I did hundreds of surprise trades trying to get a Grookey and finally managed it yesterday. Then I bred some to try for a good nature and the 5th one was shiny (good nature to boot). Crazy.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thanks guys, though at this point it's super tempting to just start hitting up guides for the more pain in the rear end mons. And there's no way in hell I'm doing a perfect Dex and maxing out all the research levels to 25. I like the game but I dont have that much time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I haven't touched Arceus Legends in a while but I'd like to amend my earlier post. The worst Pokemon to try and get a Perfect for is, in fact, Cherubi, because you have to see 15 of the little bastards jump out of trees, meaning you have to deal with RNG for a tree to shake and then RNG for it to be a Cherubi on top of that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tardigrade posted:

I don’t know, I did Arcanine in 2-3 tries but Avalugg kind of killed my desire to continue with the game. I’m just not good at reflex-based gameplay, which is why I play Pokemon in the first place.

That's fascinating, just because I also consider myself bad at twitch gameplay, but I just found the Avalugg fight to be not very difficult. Lots of very obvious telegraphs and easily-avoided attacks. Whereas Arcanine kicked my absolute rear end. Everyone is different I guess!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The worst for me, other than spoiler, was Electrode.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Maybe the truth is that I am just actually really *good* at videogames after all! Hooray!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If anyone needed the resolution to "Will Shiroc get a Bonsley?", one appeared on my first load today, caught it instantly and now I'm done. loving rngs.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Shiroc posted:

If anyone needed the resolution to "Will Shiroc get a Bonsley?", one appeared on my first load today, caught it instantly and now I'm done. loving rngs.

Immediately afterward you get an outbreak of them. That's what happened to me with both Cherubi and Bonsly

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm now onto the even more exciting "use my computer for other things while I wait to see if the rng gives me a space time distortion" to get my Magnemite family.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm done. God has been attacked and dethroned. The genies were a tremendous pain. The whole ending goes flat because you're most likely spending time doing the most arbitrary, rng based cleanup or stuff like wisp hunting (which I found annoying even using maps).

e: The suggestion that Volo is potentially to Cynthia as Demise was to Ganon was p funny though. An evil being who exists throughout time to gently caress up young Pokemon prodigies.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 14, 2022

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Shiroc posted:

I'm done. God has been attacked and dethroned. The genies were a tremendous pain. The whole ending goes flat because you're most likely spending time doing the most arbitrary, rng based cleanup or stuff like wisp hunting (which I found annoying even using maps).

e: The suggestion that Volo is potentially to Cynthia as Demise was to Ganon was p funny though. An evil being who exists throughout time to gently caress up young Pokemon prodigies.

Weirdly enough while it's obvious he's her direct ancestor Cynthia is most likely a reincarnation of Cogita. Their personality and tastes are almost identical.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
While I haven't gotten to that part of the game and shouldn't have looked at the spoilers: why not both? Cogita may be dressed like a widow but that doesn't necessarily mean she's old and Volo presumably hangs around a bunch and is at the very least super interested in all the legends and myths she knows. Unless there's active animosity after Volo turns out to be a dick, maybe they get together? Idk.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

My theory was that Cogita is like Volo's great-aunt or something, and that the tribe they descend from is just Cynthias all the way down. So they both could be considered her ancestors, but they're not necessarily both related to her in the most direct sense.
Also Volo seems like he might actually be Cyrus's ancestor, or at least passed some of his ideas to Cyllene's family at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A lot of characters are a mix of traits of different ones, not just their most obvious visual pairings. Its just that Volo literally has Cynthia's team and threatens to take revenge over centuries if need be.