Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I can’t but a 3 or 4 iron for my life but my 3 wood is easily my best club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Interesting, interesting. I'll do some research and maybe pick up a 5H used.

RCarr posted:

Yea I can’t but a 3 or 4 iron for my life but my 3 wood is easily my best club.

I just got the Mavrik Max 3W and I could not believe how easy it was to hit. Just absurd.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
You could also try a 5 or 7 wood.

Obviously these two have much better swings than most of us (I should absolutely hope so) but it's interesting to see their thought process here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24cPSebnB6w

They also have a followup video where they get a 7 wood to test too.

Edit: I have the Sub70 939x 3 Hybrid and I love it, but I got it at a point where I also couldn't hit really any of my irons. Everything was thin and slicing. I couldn't figure it out. The 3 hybrid was my best club.

I recently took a step back and looked at why all of my iron shots would do that, realized how much your grip can help control the club face through the swing, and used a stronger grip (for the newbies in this thread, look up weak, neutral, strong grips and how they effect your swing). Now I just consistently flush my 4 iron and I haven't touched my 3 hybrid in a while so I'm looking for something to cover the gap between my 4 iron and my 3 wood. I may throw a 5 wood in my bag too.

Daric fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 9, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
If I had to pick a "best club", it would be my Controller. Driving iron at 17° but it feels amazing to swing and it's incredibly consistent.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Daric posted:

You could also try a 5 or 7 wood.

Between a wood and a hybrid (of a similar loft) which would tend to be better from the rough? While I, the beginner professional who hits it perfectly every time, don't care it might help others to know when deciding...

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

D34THROW posted:

If I had to pick a "best club", it would be my Controller. Driving iron at 17° but it feels amazing to swing and it's incredibly consistent.

My brother would love this. Thanks for the birthday gift idea :v

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Between a wood and a hybrid (of a similar loft) which would tend to be better from the rough? While I, the beginner professional who hits it perfectly every time, don't care it might help others to know when deciding...

Hybrid for sure, much easier to get through the rough than a wood and generally as a beginner professional easier to hit more perfectly every time.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mederlock posted:

My brother would love this. Thanks for the birthday gift idea :v

you should buy that one now because if you don't i'm going to

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting the lefty one so it's all yours :sun:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tempting...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Hi lovely, 17 HDCP here.

I dumped my old setup of D 3w 5w 3h 4i 5i 6i 7i for D 4w 7w 4h 5h 6h 7i. I reduced my handicap from a 20 to 17 because I could now hit 200 yard shots with more confidence. If it's a lovely lie, I go to the 4 hybrid. Works well.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

That's the other thing about the Controller, it's got the feel of a wood but the swing of an iron for me, more so than my 3h and 4h. If the ball's down in the rough a little I'll break one of those out and bob's your uncle.

...gently caress am I talking about, "rough"? I'm lucky to find grass on the lovely munis around here.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
The high tomorrow is 35 in Atlanta :smith: Whyyy it was so nice this week.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I planned out a little beach vacation to Orange Beach, AL with the family this weekend into next Tuesday. Figured I'd slip in a golf round at Kiva Dunes.

High is like 50 degrees. RIP

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Omerta posted:

The high tomorrow is 35 in Atlanta :smith: Whyyy it was so nice this week.

It was -6 on my drive to drop off my son at school this morning. I have tee times for Tuesday and Wednesday next week, which should be in the 35-50 range for the round. Fingers crossed the three days of 55+ degree weather melts off the last of the snow at the course.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

This is absurd.

https://twitter.com/lpga/status/1501878532007366656?s=21

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Holy Christ.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Lots of good golf on the LPGA. Last week Jin Young Ko set a record with her 15th consecutive round in the 60s and 30th consecutive under par.

Also, LOL they still haven't finished the first round of the Players.

Edit: Aaaand the 1st threefour tee shots on 17 after restart are in the water.

Presto fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 12, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This whole Player's is a poo poo show, but this afternoon will be a glorious poo poo show. 20+sustained winds and 40ish gusts around this course? Can't wait. The complaining will be legendary.

lol @ Scheffler, Brooks and Xander all splashing at 17. This entire late/early wave is mega hosed.

Anno fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 12, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I’ve got no problems when courses are setup hard, like bay hill last week, but half of the field has 0 chance to win this. Fleetwood is sitting smiling right now. I don’t think any group that is finishing 1st round/just starting second round has a chance.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I've never done this, and I can't recall seeing another pro do it before either. ZJ meanwhile has twice on two iconic driving holes lol

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1502723095525740547

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
:siren: We have a birdie at 17! (Daniel Berger)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’m sure the players hate it but it’s fun as hell watching them hit shots out here. JT hitting 130 yard 6 irons and Billy Ho with stone dead laser knockdowns.

Also Rosey flying the 17th from the drop zone by 30 yards lmao

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I used to struggle with hitting massive pulls. Just seeing this gave me PTSD.

https://twitter.com/shanebacon/status/1503043553534087174?s=21

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Azinger: With the wind from the right it's like an invisible wall over there.
Sam Burns: *hits his tee shot 10 yards into the trees on the right*

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

*Sniffs* yeah mate I tell ya last week I reckon I was about this level. Shot 68 or something but wasn't keeping score you know was just Matchplay with the boys

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
A friend of mine also plays on the LPGA (she actually just locked in her card for the year a couple of months ago) and playing with her is absurd. Doesn't miss fairways, doesn't miss greens, I can outdrive her distance wise but it won't matter because she'll be dead center in the fairway every single hole. I wasn't playing this round but she beat the poo poo out of her husband and a couple of our buddies while wearing Uggs instead of golf shoes. People who say "You should watch the LPGA because it's more similar to your game" aren't actually watching the LPGA. They're playing a completely different game than pretty much all of us.

As an aside, I think I've mentioned it in here before but my sister worked with Stacy Lewis's husband for several years and last year she mentioned that she wanted to get some golf clubs so she could play occasionally. Stacy's husband just grabbed a set of clubs Stacy had and gave them to my sister, who in turn gave them to my wife to borrow as my wife plays with me every week and my sister hasn't actually used them once.

It's not a full set, it's an older Taylormade driver (with no adjustability), a couple of Mizuno 3 & 4 hybrids, the irons are Callaway Rogue Pros in 5,7,9, and then a set of 56 and 60 Mizuno wedges. I would guess that these weren't a set of Stacy's gamers for the most part but she clearly used the wedges A LOT. The sweet spots are completely worn and there's not a single mark outside of those spots. That's the other difference between us and professionals. They're not missing the center of the club face.

My wife is just starting to learn to play so she's not good at all but she did manage to make 2 legitimate pars yesterday with those clubs so we're counting that as a win. I'm excited to see her progress through this summer.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

People who say "You should watch the LPGA because it's more similar to your game" aren't actually watching the LPGA. They're playing a completely different game than pretty much all of us.

You're splitting hairs, nobody is saying to watch LPGA golf because then you'll hit every fairway and green, they're saying it because their distances and decision making are much closer to how a weekend golfer should try and get around a course since most of us aren't flipping wedges into 450 yard par 4s and hitting 8 irons 195.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

You're splitting hairs, nobody is saying to watch LPGA golf because then you'll hit every fairway and green, they're saying it because their distances and decision making are much closer to how a weekend golfer should try and get around a course since most of us aren't flipping wedges into 450 yard par 4s and hitting 8 irons 195.

Speak for yourself buddy. I consistently hit 360 yard drives down the fairway.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Daric posted:

(with no adjustability)

This was all clubs when I was a young'un :bahgawd:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kirios posted:

Speak for yourself buddy. I consistently hit 360 yard drives down the fairway.

260 forward, 100 right, lands 2 fairways over, math checks out. My apologies.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Cam Smith has played 12 holes today and has one par... Jesus.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
14 holes now. 2 pars.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Oh dear

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

260 forward, 100 right, lands 2 fairways over, math checks out. My apologies.

Slices it so hard the fucker takes a hard 90° too

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
First round since first week of December. Had a tee time yesterday for 815, but frost delay "at least an hour" at a course where the range is closed, no thanks.

So, 815 time today, turned out to be the first time. Me and one other guy, he plays the white (forward, but not most forward) tees, so I just played with him. Short par 4 to start, triple bogey, and lucky to get that. Played the rest of the front at 5 over with 5 three putts on the slow, not recently mowed greens.

Played the back at 2 over, but lots of 6 foot putts made for par because I never could hit any long putt hard enough. 18 inches of snow at my house overnight into tomorrow. Should be able to play next week.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omerta posted:

Yo I’m going to be back in Orlando in about a week. Maybe we could get a round in.

Beautiful day today in Atlanta.

Bag is also looking on point.

Hey I just realized I never got an email from you. When are you in town again?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
does a scotty cameron fix this

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

wyoak posted:

does a scotty cameron fix this

no they're so nice you'll want to putt more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I guess I never mentioned it in here but my Skytrak shorted out about a month ago and it was out of warranty so I sent it in for repair, they emailed me back saying it was unrepairable but that I could buy a replacement from them for $519 or a brand new one for $1700. I went with the $519 option, which apparently comes with a 6 month warranty, so I figure I'll use it for 6 months and then look at the used market on Ebay. If they're still going for $1600ish used on Ebay then I'll sell it and pick up the Mevo+ or maybe even the new Bushnell one. Luckily, I got mine for about half that price originally and now spent an extra $500 on it but my work has reimbursed all of it through our fitness program.

I used the time it was getting repaired to come up with a new solution for my room though. It's an upstairs game room that's carpeted. I have a mat that's pretty thin that was sitting on top of 1" foam gym floor tiles. The tiles helped eliminate the elbow pain but because they were on carpet they were pretty squishy and depending on where you stood you could easily get a low spot in the mat.

So I cut a sheet of 3/4" MDF to size, slapped some trim around it, dropped the tiles into it, then the mat on top (the tiles and mat are double secured with extra sticky carpet tape). It feels so much better now. It's a lot more solid, I haven't felt any pain hitting off of it, and it overall just looks better. Plus if I really need to, I can just pick it up and lean it against the wall to get it out of the way.

I'd love to have this in the garage instead of in the house but that's a much longer project. That one is getting closer though as I actually have to do some work in the garage as a necessity that would start me on that path anyway.

Edit: If I was to do this project again, or if anyone else is interested, I would suggest having a table saw. Trying to get a straight cut on a giant sheet of MDF with a little circle saw was a nightmare as was trying to get clean 45 degree cuts on the trim. You can kind of see where the corners aren't great but they'll work. I would also be interested in trying a block of high density foam from amazon instead of the gym tiles too. I don't know if it'd be better or not, but I'd be interested in trying it out plus it'd probably be easier to get it fit since I could just cut the block to the size I needed instead of having to cut out puzzle tiles and try to fit them in again.

Daric fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 17, 2022