Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

v38 changelog

quote:

App Library

When you are in a Party any owned apps that support enhanced Multiplayer features will be highlighted, making it easier to jump into a multiplayer game/app.

Recently Met

You can now view, join and friend recently met players by pressing the Oculus home button when in a game/app.
You can also see people you recently played with in the People Tab as well as in the Oculus Mobile App.

MR Couch and Desk

MR Couch and Desk are moving from Experimental features to the Guardian settings. Now all users will be able to place persistent desks and couches in their Horizon Home environment.

Tracking Updates

We're making improvements to the tracking system on your device. Some users will need to create a new Guardian.

Settings Updates

We’ve redesigned the Settings page to make it easier to find what you‘re looking for.
In addition to design enhancements, we’re adding a search bar in the Settings menu to use when you know exactly what you’re looking for.

Logo Updates

We’ve updated some of the UI elements to use the Meta Logo.

Tooltips

Hovering over an option in the Quick Action Menu brings up a tooltip to help guide you through the various Quick Actions available.

Keyboard and Bluetooth

Tracked Keyboards and BT settings will now be moving from Experimental Features to Device Settings.

also
https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-move-updates-track-your-vr-fitness-stats-and-goals-outside-your-headset/

and Nock is out
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5157404804284116/

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, my Chilldex v2 arrived today. The package smelt musty, and the cardboard was slightly damp. It came via Sydney, and NSW has been hit by some pretty bad flooding, but still not great.

I've just used it in VTOLVR. It's... underwhelming. The "temperature based" setting doesn't seem to work right, unless I've missed something and it's temperature based and also you can control the setting no, it does work, I think I wanted it cooler than it wants to cool. It makes things a bit cooler, mostly in the form of air rushing past my face rather than my head feeling cooler. It's also loud as hell.

No idea whether that's a property of this product in particular, or just a fact of life when you plug a fan into the front of your headset. Or if I'm not quite using it correctly.

I'll experiment more with it.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 11, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitch.tv/videos/1421218968?t=4138s

Cities VR footage

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A bundle of racing games, including a few with VR support

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/ultimate-racing-sim-bundle

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone messed with Nock yet?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So I've really been enjoying BigScreen. Two nights ago I spent $4 to watch Top Gun in 3D, and I made my viewing space a campground, which was charming as hell.

I also opened the room to the public and a man in a wizard hat threw popcorn at me and made airplane "noises" any time an aircraft was on screen.

Last night I made myself a stiff drink and chilled in a room of strangers that were watching vintage episodes of Cops. It was an absolute madhouse laugh riot. Really reminded me of the college days of coming home from the bar to watch lovely vhs tapes in the basement with my friends as we all laugh our asses off.

Give it a try 10/10

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I was messing about with bigscreen for the first time the other day and jumped in a room to watch star trek tng and didn't realize there were other people there and turned and this dude was like a few inches away from me just staring at my avatar not saying anything and it just creeped me the gently caress out

then a fight broke out between two people who were throwing popcorn at each other and no one was watching star trek, just a typical social vr experience i imagine

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm playing Ultrawings 2, a bit every day. I'm on the third airport, where things start to be more difficult. Now I'm getting more silver medals than gold medals. I still don't have the option to buy the chopper, I guess I have to reach the 4th airport.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thats not a hard support ticket. Smash that "send a replacement cable" button no questions asked

Seems like this is what's gonna happen - inevitably the $129 will get spent on the Steam Store instead. Submit cat pics with your support tickets!

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm playing Ultrawings 2, a bit every day. I'm on the third airport, where things start to be more difficult. Now I'm getting more silver medals than gold medals. I still don't have the option to buy the chopper, I guess I have to reach the 4th airport.

It will prompt you in the hanger when its time to buy new airports and vehicles. I thought it was a bug that I had 100k but could not get the stunt plane but when you buy Uptown Park you can once you have the cash.

eidt: Discord says multiplayer should be out this summer too!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

How are y'all dealing with your Q2 slipping down your face during heavy activity? I'm getting tired of having to pause and readjust back into the visual sweet spot.

I'm using the elite strap and a vrcover face thing, if that matters

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Manager Hoyden posted:

How are y'all dealing with your Q2 slipping down your face during heavy activity? I'm getting tired of having to pause and readjust back into the visual sweet spot.

I'm using the elite strap and a vrcover face thing, if that matters

gotta counterweight it with a battery strapped to the back

edit:

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 12, 2022

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Nock
I got through the tutorial on my lunch break. It feels real cool to fly up in the air and shoot an arrow at poo poo.

You use the trigger on your non bow hand to pull back and shoot the arrow. you move by pressing the palm button on your bow hand and kinda scooting it down by your side. the motion has a nice easy glide to it. if you use the palm trigger on your other hand and swing it down you jump!

it feels more like ice skating rather than running around but im itching to play a full game after work

Edit:
Got to play one full game 2v2 on my break. Its quite an arm work out but is really fun. its easier to stay in one place and play this one as opposed to Echo Area where I swing my arms around all around and hit things

Edit 2
Ive been playing for about 90 minutes now. My elbow hurts, but my aim is improving. I really like this in the same way I enjoy Echo Arena. Its easy to start and play but you can really fine tune and get good.

I like it, id say spend the ten bux, set a 45 minute timer, by the time it goes off you will have decided if you want to keep it or not.

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 13, 2022

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Does it have any single player/bot matches or just a basic tutorial? I like to get comfortable with game mechanics before jumping into multiplayer.

Plus I’m weirdly indecisive sometimes about what I feel like playing in VR so it’s nice to have a mode where I can bounce if I’m not feeling it or move on to multiplayer if I am.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

i think there is the ability to set custom matches with bots and stuff but I have not checked it out.

edit: Yes you can do a match with AI players of varying difficulty

For the regular game you can pick 1v1, 2v2 or 3v3

Ive been focusing on 3 v 3's because more people means more fun but ive been playing all morning. A few times the game dysynced you get dumped back to the menu screen but no real bugs or anything that i have encountered

The locomotion still isnt my favorite thing but it takes some getting used to, my elbow hurts.

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 13, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

finally VR church

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Bought Nock and enjoying it quite a bit so far.

In a brave step for left handed equality, it initially sets your right hand as the bow hand and my brain actually broke down for a few seconds trying to shoot the “switch hands” option. I’d have never thought that shooting with the non-dominant hand would feel THAT awkward, jeez.

TIP posted:

finally VR church

It’s just a lame 2d projected screen. Jesus wept.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Someone's already ahead of them there (skip to 18:15 if it doesn't automatically):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J65ci5C5ml4&t=1095s

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 13, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Audi is doing an in car VR thing?

https://www.engadget.com/amp/audi-holoride-summer-2022-154356466.html

Seems like a bad idea, but idk. Bigscreen and Plex on a long car ride could be cool. That said I don’t seem to be able to be motion sick anymore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
gently caress yessss, my Tundra Trackers finally shipped! :peanut:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Did the quest 2 Facebook account fuckery ever get sorted out, or is that still going on. Is there a $$$ business account that you can actually :10bux: for

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Did the quest 2 Facebook account fuckery ever get sorted out, or is that still going on. Is there a $$$ business account that you can actually :10bux: for

Same fuckery for now. I guess the biggest chance for less fuckery will be whenever they announce the Cambria device (my bet is May). They actually retired the business program and the new one (Quest for Business is still not online).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Huh I'll check back in when Cambria finally gets released I guess, thanks

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hadlock posted:

Its been "Fixed", but anyone who created another account in attempts to "fix it themselves" have 2 accounts now with 2 IDs and its apparently a pain in the dick to fix and is taking time for some people.

Generally though if you didn't gently caress with anything, it got fixed.

I think theres edge cases but yeah.

EDIT: I'm assuming you mean the recent account clusterfuck stuff. Otherwise yeah still facebook/oculus account poo poo like normal.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No just the normal poo poo. Ok thanks

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have been wondering the same thing and kind of expected it to happen by now, actually.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Guy Godin just pushed a Virtual Desktop update to the beta channel that finally adds alternate eye rendering support - ie: all the Luke Ross VR mods now work in VD (except for GTA which will work after the mod gets updated).

At long last I can play Cyberpunk 2077 from my comfy recliner without my gamepad dropping connection since VD supports gamepad passthrough and Oculus, loving oddly, still doesn’t.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Warbird posted:

Audi is doing an in car VR thing?

https://www.engadget.com/amp/audi-holoride-summer-2022-154356466.html

Seems like a bad idea, but idk. Bigscreen and Plex on a long car ride could be cool. That said I don’t seem to be able to be motion sick anymore.

I feel like the combination of car ride (even in a luxury car) and VR is a surefire recipe for a motion sickness disaster, but some people use VR on planes, so maybe it’s not as bad as I expect it to be.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They could do something clever like use the car's own sensors to provide the visual sensation of movement in the virtual space, using particle effects or something like that. Probably too clever for some half baked VR in-car entertainment system.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's more or less exactly what's happening! Holoride is the in-car VR thing, and the sensors to make it work are being embedded in the upcoming Audis.

I don't know any more than I have read, but it sounds like a neat idea.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

My fault for not reading past the headline!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

quote:

Of course, there are some safety problems to take in mind (especially what happens if the car has an accident and the people have a headset on)

Uhh yeah I think I got an answer to that, I think you just go blind from having shattered lenses smash into your eyeballs right?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.wired.com/story/palmer-luckey-drones-autonomous-weapons-ukraine/

quote:

Speaking of VR, maybe you heard that Facebook changed its name to Meta.

I heard, yeah.

Basically, the company they bought from you is at the center of their future. What do you make of that?

For about 10 years now I’ve used an email signature, “See you in the metaverse.” I don't know how many VR headsets I’ve signed with that phrase. I even said it in the open letter that we wrote when we were acquired by Facebook in 2014. That was what I always wanted to build. To see Meta focusing on that is very gratifying for me. I think they might be making some short-term tactical errors in how they go about it. But the strategic vision of building the metaverse is correct. When we were acquired, people told me Oculus would be taken over and turned into Facebook. I think it's been the other way around: Facebook got taken over by Oculus, and it turned into Oculus.

Is Mark Zuckerberg’s metaverse the same one that you envision?

The metaverse that Mark Zuckerberg has in his brain is almost perfectly aligned with what I have in my brain because it doesn't come from either of our brains. The origin point is Neal Stephenson and Snow Crash and decades of science fiction stacked on top of that. Mark is building what everyone wants. You can point to things like Horizon World and say, “That sure doesn't seem to be the metaverse,” but everyone would agree with that, even Mark. The reason I was attracted to Facebook and Mark was because they had a strong strategic incentive to bring about the metaverse as quickly as possible. I think the phrase that I used in an internal email is that maybe Mark is just playing us. But if he was, he's Van Halen, because the vision he pitched was perfectly aligned with ours. He is the number one VR fan in the world, measured by investment and dedication. I mean, he's putting more money and more time into VR than anyone on the planet.

At least he doesn't hide it anymore: https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=palmer+luckey&order=desc&sort=D

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Every loving time
https://twitter.com/alexblechman/status/1457842724128833538

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
wired magazine sucks so much lmao

when they aren't handing over whistleblowers to the fbi they are enthusiastically nodding along with every word weapons manufacturers say while giving them the biggest softball questions

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oculus has a new sale, but as usual it's kinda meh. Here it's the one with a 25% off or more :

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Jesus Christ, I was just reading about some techbro scheme to create lolbert paradise by making an artificial country of repurposed container ships. Now this Wired article.

Fully expecting to read about the Mafia getting into the pizza business by the weekend.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Leathal posted:

Fully expecting to read about the Mafia getting into the pizza business by the weekend.
I have some bad news.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 15, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Leathal posted:

Jesus Christ, I was just reading about some techbro scheme to create lolbert paradise by making an artificial country of repurposed container ships. Now this Wired article.

You know what, what I remember from Snow Crash is the weirder aspects of the setting. But... I don't remember anything of the famous 'Metaverse' from the novel...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

After the Fall released their horde mode a few days back. It's fun!