Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
a third of all children that died of covid in the states have died in the past 2 months

quote:

“We saw a massive surge of hospitalized young children during Omicron that we didn’t see in the earlier months of the pandemic,” said Jason Kane, a pediatric intensivist and associate professor of pediatrics at the University of Chicago Comer children’s hospital.

Since the beginning of the year, 550 children have died from Covid-19 in the US, compared with 1,017 children in the preceding 22 months, according to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

we have about 2-3 weeks before the BA.2 spike hits in the states (currently cases are ~20% and doubling every week) so if there's anything you need to do outdoors you need to do it soon. USA lags the rest of the world by about a month, so if you want to see what it's going to look like you just need to look overseas

unvaxxed are hosed, previous infections provide no protection after ~3 months, other variants provide no protection at all, vaccinations have ~93% chance of keeping you out of hospital according to studies out of denmark & finland but you're still going to catch it as it's insanely infectious and you've got a 1 in 3 chance of developing long covid once you do. it's a mass disabling event more on the order of polio, not the flu

i personally think the coming months are going to be the worst it's ever been, once it starts hitting the news at least all those back to the office plans are gonna get canned just like last year

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

omicron hosed it up

we were a poster child for no cases and now we’ve basically given up trying. half the people I know have covid or is in a household that does, and basically all restrictions except large groups things are lifted. you’re meant to isolate but that’s basically it.
this is true in the canadian maritimes too. pretty good track records before but stumbled big time in late summer 2021 and again going into xmas 2021 and the numbers have never been close to as bad as they are now but open 'er up/learn to live with this as we strip away the things that allow you to actually literally live with this

just about 3 months till my kid can get her first vaccine at least

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Gone in twice. View from my desk is still nice but I hate open offices now after years of birds chirping and ambient city sound.

Downtown Brooklyn from 1 WTC in the 80s-90s. The memorial is directly below me so that’s something I try not to think about.

also midtown to make up for that terrible photo

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 15, 2022

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Bhodi posted:

a third of all children that died of covid in the states have died in the past 2 months

we have about 2-3 weeks before the BA.2 spike hits in the states (currently cases are ~20% and doubling every week) so if there's anything you need to do outdoors you need to do it soon. USA lags the rest of the world by about a month, so if you want to see what it's going to look like you just need to look overseas

unvaxxed are hosed, previous infections provide no protection after ~3 months, other variants provide no protection at all, vaccinations have ~93% chance of keeping you out of hospital according to studies out of denmark & finland but you're still going to catch it as it's insanely infectious and you've got a 1 in 3 chance of developing long covid once you do. it's a mass disabling event more on the order of polio, not the flu

i personally think the coming months are going to be the worst it's ever been, once it starts hitting the news at least all those back to the office plans are gonna get canned just like last year

here in france we just had a first mandatory rto day where masks were entirely optional and i feel like i am in some parallel universe poo poo

you can see even from the official graphs that there has been a 21% increase in infections last 7 days

combined with what's happening in ukraine right now i am feeling everyone's lost the plot entirely. not sure asses in seats will help with this

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bhodi posted:

covid will never end. it will never not be extremely dangerous to be outside. or in any public place.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BC opened 'er back up and cases are still the lowest they've been since before delta

probably helps that kids are getting dosed up instead of just letting this poo poo run wild on anyone under 12

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

covid will never end. it will never not be extremely dangerous to be outside. or in any public place.

go to hell. i know you really want to believe that, but it's not dangerous to be outside.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

fuckkkk

apparently it’s ba2 that we have predominately so our spike is already ba2

I honestly don’t know how I don’t have it. I’ve been face to face (masked) with someone who called me two mins later to tell me the RAT test she bought off me showed she’s positive. i’ve been working at multiple pharmacies including a mall pharmacy and a pharmacy next to a emergency centre.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

go to hell. i know you really want to believe that, but it's not dangerous to be outside.

carry on then makes me look like a good poster and gently caress that’s saying a LOT

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

carry on then posted:

covid will never end but with rudimentary precautions, it's safe to be outside or in public. wear a well fitting, quality mask like an N95 and you're fine.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Sure but what if it feels more righteous to pretend that's not true? Ever think of that, smart guy?

Checkmate.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bhodi posted:

I think the coming months are going to be the worst it's ever been. I also think the back-to-the-office plans are here to stay because the feds and the state governments, of all political stripes, are deliberately dismantling all testing capacity and there'll be no way for us to know other than random people you know getting sick for a week or two at a time.

Sleepy Joe has made it clear that covid is over now, and it's never coming back unless bodies start piling up in the streets like cordwood.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do you crew have or use rapid antigen tests?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

yeah my city gives away two per person per day if you want. got a stack in the bathroom

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

yeah. at least there's that.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

working from the outdoors today and in a funny twist my sunglasses are polarized in the direction that blocks the image on my laptop screen. anyone have recs for sunglasses polarized opposite to the plane they are normally?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c rto status: I am the only one that bothered to come into the office despite it being day one of supposed rto

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yesterday was my last day of officially having a desk and today is my first day of being officially perma-remote

i've been sick both days

also my salary is now 90% of what it was a week ago :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Asleep Style posted:

working from the outdoors today and in a funny twist my sunglasses are polarized in the direction that blocks the image on my laptop screen. anyone have recs for sunglasses polarized opposite to the plane they are normally?

just use the laptop in portrait

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

yesterday was my last day of officially having a desk and today is my first day of being officially perma-remote

i've been sick both days

frankly a tad jealous but since I’m new it behooves me to at least put my best foot forward

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Achmed Jones posted:

i've been sick both days

what, was the salary reduction connected?

i'm still pissed about our effective salary reductions over here and will be trying to at least fix it for the rest of my coworkers as i leave (or provide them with meaningful insight into management's 'thoughts' on the matter)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sell myself at the value I’m worth, so to speak

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

psiox posted:

what, was the salary reduction connected?

yeah, i moved from "premium plus" location (basically bay area + nyc) to "premium" (the rest of california, not sure what else). part of moving to the "remote california" office was the pay cut. if i has stayed in the bay and gone remote i would've transferred to a bay-area-specific remote office code and not have been hit with a pay cut. it's lame but the alternative is to either not move or quit so...

originally it was pitched as a reduction in salary only, but then later they changed it to a salary reduction and also a 5% equity reduction. the latter isn't taken away directly but rather from future projections. i'm pretty pissed about the bait and switch on that, but again...my choices are not-move and quit

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

frankly a tad jealous but since I’m new it behooves me to at least put my best foot forward

buy one of the houses in my cul de sac, then we can say your occupied street is a pos

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
if my company had tried to reduce my salary, i would simply hit da bricks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

man i just want money for my own property so i dont have to be beholden to shites

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah, i moved from "premium plus" location (basically bay area + nyc) to "premium" (the rest of california, not sure what else). part of moving to the "remote california" office was the pay cut. if i has stayed in the bay and gone remote i would've transferred to a bay-area-specific remote office code and not have been hit with a pay cut. it's lame but the alternative is to either not move or quit so...

originally it was pitched as a reduction in salary only, but then later they changed it to a salary reduction and also a 5% equity reduction. the latter isn't taken away directly but rather from future projections. i'm pretty pissed about the bait and switch on that, but again...my choices are not-move and quit

oh lol it's equity too? and that's on top of either a 5%~10% tc paycut? lol

imo they're just pissed that they spent money they didnt have to on new buildings for no good reason

Achmed Jones posted:

buy one of the houses in my cul de sac, then we can say your occupied street is a pos

mine certainly is already

cuz im here

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i'd take a pay cut to gtfo out of the bay area but idk how much

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

carry on then posted:

you dont actually believe this and are just doom posting.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

i'd take a pay cut to gtfo out of the bay area but idk how much

ya me too i dont really like it here anymore and havent for a while

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

ya me too i dont really like it here anymore and havent for a while

i'm kinda stuck for a while cause i dont wanna move my kids but after they're in college? Idk man i dont see myself staying here long.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
that is lovely, achmed jones

unfortunately companies that do that move into a different employer class and require a 10-15+% effort cut. you know how it is with ~regions~

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

oh lol it's equity too? and that's on top of either a 5%~10% tc paycut?

naw, it was 10% salary (not tc) and then later the 5% equity thing got added. over half my tc is equity these days though

ofc bonus is based on salary soooo

idk if the 5% thing applies to me cause when i signed my letter it didn't exist, but since there are no guarantees for equity modeling i have a really hard time believing i won't be affected by it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

psiox posted:

that is lovely, achmed jones

unfortunately companies that do that move into a different employer class and require a 10-15+% effort cut. you know how it is with ~regions~

i'm way ahead of them on this :smug:

because nobody's reviewing my PRs!!!!!!! and everyone's too busy with meetings for me. im approaching the point of just taking tickets off the vine and doing them

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

naw, it was 10% salary (not tc) and then later the 5% equity thing got added. over half my tc is equity these days though

ofc bonus is based on salary soooo

idk if the 5% thing applies to me cause when i signed my letter it didn't exist, but since there are no guarantees for equity modeling i have a really hard time believing i won't be affected by it

:hmbol: yeah that's sus as gently caress. when did that get added

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

i'm kinda stuck for a while cause i dont wanna move my kids but after they're in college? Idk man i dont see myself staying here long.

my parents moved me while i was in school and i turned out fine :whitewater:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

my parents moved me while i was in school and i turned out fine :whitewater:

yeah its just enough of a hassle that i dont wanna is all

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I got a message from IT at 10am asking if it was okay to shut off my PC at the office and I told them "uhh no I need that to work? all my VMs are on there"

apparently as of friday afternoon they're permanently shutting down all the remaining desktops at the office so I've spent the day moving poo poo over to this horrible awful piece of poo poo dell laptop they sent me that I never bothered setting up. it has the worst keyboard I've ever used. absolute garbage

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

between all teh school stuff and finding a new house and selling the old one and moving all my poo poo like all of a sudden my issues with this dumb city don't seem so big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

psiox posted:

lol💯