Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just started a new job and they're a bit stuffy so I can't really browse SA during work so I thought "oh I can probably check out some tech sites when there's downtime, that's at least semi work-related so I decided to start poking around HN in earnest.

holy poo poo this place sucks man. is this just like pure distilled tech bro culture or is there something specific to this site that makes it particularly awful?

edit: :bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I just started a new job and they're a bit stuffy so I can't really browse SA during work so I thought "oh I can probably check out some tech sites when there's downtime, that's at least semi work-related so I decided to start poking around HN in earnest.

holy poo poo this place sucks man. is this just like pure distilled tech bro culture or is there something specific to this site that makes it particularly awful?
"Oops! All comments section"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I know the thread title will never change, but

hn thread: as one of the highest performing team members in every organization I’ve been at

rings in my head

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

FCKGW posted:

It's wantrepreneurship mixed with a healthy dose of techbro "I can code therefore I'm an expert in all other fields" attitude. Sprig of thyme. Pop in the basement for 25 years. Serve on Graham crackers.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Armitag3 posted:

Graham crackers

holy poo poo

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

DaTroof posted:

holy poo poo

lol

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I want to die

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30677466

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, good news

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Subjunctive posted:

I know the thread title will never change, but

hn thread: as one of the highest performing team members in every organization I’ve been at

rings in my head

Wait, they let mchurch come back?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Let's play "Guess the article topic!"

quote:

somenewaccount1 19 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]
I just wish the movie Idiocracy would stop turning into a f*&cking documentary. Is that so much to ask?!?!?!

US Senate unanimously votes to make daylight savings time permanent

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
lol, from that same thread:

lostcolony 5 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

"Auto update from a standard list" - please point me to this standard list. Note - I need to know for a given user at a given location what a millis from epoch equates to in local time, for times that could be before or after this change, so I need timezone conversions AND what dates they were in effect for. I also need some SLAs, and ideally someone I can pay; not much, but enough to feel confident I can get support and/or that it'll be around a decade from now.

this is literally something published by the iana at no charge

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
sure but that's just a text file. i need it in javascript, please

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wolverine876 36 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

It feels like we live in such a post-truth world, even the clock will now be an untruth. Couldn't we just use standard time, and let people wake and sleep when they choose, instead of creating an illusion for them?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I realize now that he just means standard instead of daylight but I immediately was thinking of Grimes’s description of “sidereal” and abolishing time zones.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hn is unironically the character obsessed with time zone fealty from Eastern Standard Tribe but for very specific months

mystes
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I realize now that he just means standard instead of daylight but I immediately was thinking of Grimes’s description of “sidereal” and abolishing time zones.
Yeah same I initially couldn't understand why they would want everyone to use gmt rather than staying on dst until I reread it and realized what they actually mean.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

which of the insufferable characters i'm referring to is an exercise left to no one

mystes
May 31, 2006

graderjs 10 hours ago | prev | next [–]

It may be a stupid question...but why doesn't a country simply use something like "LSD gas" or "psyilocybin gas"? The assumptions are: 1) it renders people temporarily crazy and docile / compliant, 2) it will wear off in a day or two, 3) people will fully recover, 4) while they are gassed, you can just gently shepherd them out of their dwellings / fortifications and onto buses to take to refugee camps or something, while they have an out-of-body mystical experience and comprehend the totality of existence.

Everybody wins.

It seems that a non-lethal / no permanent disability hallucinogenic agent would not violate the treaty against chemical/biological weapons, would basically achieve passive area denial, with create zero casualties, and would (if it actually worked as intended) probably be a heck of a lot of fun (ignoring all the un-fun aspects of war like "these new people now own this territory and here are the consequences for everyone who used to own it".)

Note: if a gas is impractical as delivery mechanism (hello, gas masks), be creative: a 'contact agent' (skin absorption ~~ like DMSO), cheap 'cluster darts' sprayed from drones, etc, etc.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

one weird trick to disarm your opponents military, the Geneva convention hates him!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

metadat 4 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Goroutines and channels seem comparatively simple compared to the representational symbolic changes involved with generics, which make the code look and read more like Greek. The beauty of Go is (was) largely in its simplicity and python-esque (or maybe better than python) readability.

With generics, reading and reasoning about code becomes [even] more challenging.

Personally for me, at this juncture I'm finding that for new projects I might just as soon spring for Java or maybe even prefer it to Go. For the straightforward mvn-style dependency management, if nothing else.

It's all moot now, though. There's no going back, this puppy is cooked!

My favorite language got a new feature I don't like, so I'll switch to a different language that got that feature 15 years ago? :confused:

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

i feel like it’s especially bad now because the tech sector has completely run out of even marginally plausible ideas to hype, so you’re just left with guys arguing endlessly about blockchain, whining about the bay area, or how leetcode sucks but there’s no other possible way to do interviews

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

metadat 4 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Goroutines and channels seem comparatively simple compared to the representational symbolic changes involved with generics, which make the code look and read more like Greek. The beauty of Go is (was) largely in its simplicity and python-esque (or maybe better than python) readability.

With generics, reading and reasoning about code becomes [even] more challenging.

Personally for me, at this juncture I'm finding that for new projects I might just as soon spring for Java or maybe even prefer it to Go. For the straightforward mvn-style dependency management, if nothing else.

It's all moot now, though. There's no going back, this puppy is cooked!

My favorite language got a new feature I don't like, so I'll switch to a different language that got that feature 15 years ago? :confused:

C still exists if you hate features I guess

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

man in the eyeball hat posted:

one weird trick to disarm your opponents military, the Geneva convention hates him!

too fanciful and complicated. we should stick to simple, plain, salt-of-the-earth nonlethal weapons designed by serious military labs, like gay pheromone bombs

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NihilCredo posted:

too fanciful and complicated. we should stick to simple, plain, salt-of-the-earth nonlethal weapons designed by serious military labs, like gay pheromone bombs

Make hot sweaty man-love, not war.

I see no downsides to this.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

C still exists if you hate features I guess

:hmmyes:

mystes
May 31, 2006

elmerfud 1 day ago | next [–]

This is not at all shocking to me and actually makes a lot of sense. I'm single, middle-aged and I live in a neighborhood that is not representative of my educational or income status. Living alone my household income is roughly seven times the average household income of the neighborhood. I actively go out of my way to meet people that are fundamentally different in their income, education and other factors. When it comes to dating people in my neighborhood there is two general classifications of people that I come across.

The first is one that is difficult to have any kind of meaningful or deep conversation about anything on. They are so addicted to their phone and taking selfies and fluff pop culture that there is no foundation to even build a relationship around.

The second is the person who you can have an interesting conversation with on many topics but once they find out you're a software engineer or have another job that they assume is well paying (regardless of how you dress or live) all they become interested in is finding how to take money out of your wallet. Literally trying to push buttons as if you're an ATM machine.

When I date people of similar education backgrounds similar work experience and socioeconomic levels it's totally different. It's a totally new set of problems but it actually gives the hope of someone to have a long-term relationship with. Because they have their own money and they don't need constant affirmations from their glowing rectangle.

One other thing that I have discovered from traveling the world is that it's not like this in all cultures. Especially having traveled around Southeast Asia there are many women of all ages that are seeking to better their lifestyle and it's a natural assumption that when you were a tourist there you're probably better off than they are financially. Unlike the people in my neighborhood though they are willing to engage in an actual relationship in order to better their financial status. They understand the concept of either marrying into it or being a long-term partner in a relationship to get that financial advantage.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

yes, there is no reason to read a book other than the ending. none at all. if the ending is bad then nothing matters

tsimionescu 29 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Entitlement issues (2009)

I don't know The Kingiller Chronicles so I'm not going to comment on that, but I don't think you can call A Song of Ice and Fire a masterpiece until you see it's ending. A lot of the quality is in the intricate plots it implies, but it has yet to resolve the vast majority of them, and if it falls flat, a lot of the majesty of what was started will turn put to have been smoke and mirrors.

This is what the Game of Thrones TV show proved: overall the show should not be considered a masterpiece, even though the early seasons seemed good at the time, since the stories they were telling mostly led nowhere. Sure, it had its excellent moments, but that's about it - overall, it was a show about the good guys winning easily, women being irrational and just kinda forgetting, armies fighting without consequences, and so on. The fact that the early seasons made you think it would be a different story was proven an illusion by the end.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

mystes posted:

This is not at all shocking to me and actually makes a lot of sense. I'm single, middle-aged and I live in a neighborhood that is not representative of my educational or income status. Living alone my household income is roughly seven times the average household income of the neighborhood. I actively go out of my way to meet people that are fundamentally different in their income, education and other factors. When it comes to dating people in my neighborhood there is two general classifications of people that I come across.

The first is one that is difficult to have any kind of meaningful or deep conversation about anything on. They are so addicted to their phone and taking selfies and fluff pop culture that there is no foundation to even build a relationship around.

The second is the person who you can have an interesting conversation with on many topics but once they find out you're a software engineer or have another job that they assume is well paying (regardless of how you dress or live) all they become interested in is finding how to take money out of your wallet. Literally trying to push buttons as if you're an ATM machine.

When I date people of similar education backgrounds similar work experience and socioeconomic levels it's totally different. It's a totally new set of problems but it actually gives the hope of someone to have a long-term relationship with. Because they have their own money and they don't need constant affirmations from their glowing rectangle.

One other thing that I have discovered from traveling the world is that it's not like this in all cultures. Especially having traveled around Southeast Asia there are many women of all ages that are seeking to better their lifestyle and it's a natural assumption that whe n you were a tourist there you're probably better off than they are financially. Unlike the people in my neighborhood though they are willing to engage in an actual relationship in order to better their financial status. They understand the concept of either marrying into it or being a long-term partner in a relationship to get that financial advantage.

jfc

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

NihilCredo posted:

IIRC the actual proposal wasn't pheromones, but aerosolized MDMA, to lower the enemy's inhibitions so they're too busy having sex to fight. Which always kinda feels like projection to me. "If I had the chance and lost my inhibitions, I would gently caress all of my coworkers."

E:

mystes posted:

It may be a stupid question...but why doesn't a country simply use something like "LSD gas" or "psyilocybin gas"? <snip>

Serious answer: Ignoring the difficulties in making that kind of knockout gas, there are a couple very good reasons nobody (serious) uses them.
1. Knockout gases are unreliable WRT dosing, and can very easily knock somebody to death. See also the Moscow theater siege, where 170 people died as a result of knockout gas the Russians pumped into the theater. I expect this would be a particular issue for LSD gas, since AIUI the average dose for that is measured in mcg, so gas will be super variable.
2. If you can target somebody well enough to drop a ton of knockout gas on them, or hit them with "cluster darts", you can drop a ton of explosives on them and deal with them much more easily and effectively.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 17, 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im sending that guy to jail.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mystes posted:

It may be a stupid question...but why doesn't a country simply use something like "LSD gas" or "psyilocybin gas"? The assumptions are: 1) it renders people temporarily crazy and docile / compliant, 2) it will wear off in a day or two, 3) people will fully recover, 4) while they are gassed, you can just gently shepherd them out of their dwellings / fortifications and onto buses to take to refugee camps or something, while they have an out-of-body mystical experience and comprehend the totality of existence.

Everybody wins.

It seems that a non-lethal / no permanent disability hallucinogenic agent would not violate the treaty against chemical/biological weapons, would basically achieve passive area denial, with create zero casualties, and would (if it actually worked as intended) probably be a heck of a lot of fun (ignoring all the un-fun aspects of war like "these new people now own this territory and here are the consequences for everyone who used to own it".)

Note: if a gas is impractical as delivery mechanism (hello, gas masks), be creative: a 'contact agent' (skin absorption ~~ like DMSO), cheap 'cluster darts' sprayed from drones, etc, etc.

im not reading this thread anymore.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

mystes posted:

One other thing that I have discovered from traveling the world is that it's not like this in all cultures. Especially having traveled around Southeast Asia there are many women of all ages that are seeking to better their lifestyle and it's a natural assumption that when you were a tourist there you're probably better off than they are financially. Unlike the people in my neighborhood though they are willing to engage in an actual relationship in order to better their financial status. They understand the concept of either marrying into it or being a long-term partner in a relationship to get that financial advantage.

please buy a copy of my book, "dating for advantage"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

alexandriao posted:

yes, there is no reason to read a book other than the ending. none at all. if the ending is bad then nothing matters

tsimionescu 29 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Entitlement issues (2009)

I don't know The Kingiller Chronicles so I'm not going to comment on that, but I don't think you can call A Song of Ice and Fire a masterpiece until you see it's ending. A lot of the quality is in the intricate plots it implies, but it has yet to resolve the vast majority of them, and if it falls flat, a lot of the majesty of what was started will turn put to have been smoke and mirrors.

This is what the Game of Thrones TV show proved: overall the show should not be considered a masterpiece, even though the early seasons seemed good at the time, since the stories they were telling mostly led nowhere. Sure, it had its excellent moments, but that's about it - overall, it was a show about the good guys winning easily, women being irrational and just kinda forgetting, armies fighting without consequences, and so on. The fact that the early seasons made you think it would be a different story was proven an illusion by the end.

you're supposed to post things that are wrong

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

WaxedChewbacca 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Ivermectin Didn’t Reduce Covid-19 Hospitalizations...

Meanwhile, back in reality, ivermectin is associated with 70%-ish reductions in hospitalization and death. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz4adJXLHgA

It's a pity Ivermectin doesn't work on brainworms because then we might have an effective treatment for HN'ers.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr.Radar posted:

It's a pity Ivermectin doesn't work on brainworms because then we might have an effective treatment for HN'ers.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

at the start of the pandemic i watched that dude’s videos now and again, he analysed case numbers and compared patterns from country to country etc and it was fine. then he got a bee in his bonnet about vitamin d and it kind of broke his brain and he started talking like a conspiracy nut. sad!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jesus WEP posted:

at the start of the pandemic i watched that dude’s videos now and again, he analysed case numbers and compared patterns from country to country etc and it was fine. then he got a bee in his bonnet about vitamin d and it kind of broke his brain and he started talking like a conspiracy nut. sad!
engagement metrics are literally poison

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

maybe he’ll start thinking engagement metrics cure covid :xd:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
bleach cures engagement metrics but only when injected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr.Radar posted:

WaxedChewbacca 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Ivermectin Didn’t Reduce Covid-19 Hospitalizations...

Meanwhile, back in reality, ivermectin is associated with 70%-ish reductions in hospitalization and death. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz4adJXLHgA

pibechorro 5 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Nor should you from any politically influenced or funded talking head. Unfortunately, the whole thing became political when lockdowns, forced vaccines and massive tax funding (and legal immunity) where given to historically sketchy pharma companies. Thankfully, we have this forum for intelligent discussion without the rampant censorship we saw on more mainstream platforms.