Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
"A cumshot compilation, but for skeletons erupting from the ground" is the kind of line that keeps me coming back to this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

All the Layton iOS games are on sale, probably from the Duckfeed bump

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I am so excited for Garry and Kole to tear the god awful creepy pasta ARG stuff in Inscryption a new one. The FMV stuff in particular was embarrassingly bad and the game leaned so heavily on it for narrative weight.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
That episode perfectly summarized my thoughts on Inscryption. Especially the stuff at the end where they felt like it was trying to pull on heartstrings that it had in no way earned. I didn't even know about the Hitler stuff, that's completely new information, I just disliked the FMV segments because of the poor writing/acting which they also talk about in the episode.

I do think Act 2 is better than Act 3 though.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I really like their movie reviews, especially for Silent Hill Revelations as Kole is an expert on that franchise and so was particularly annoyed by how bad it was.

And for Sorry to Bother You, Kole called an actor’s appearance a “Stephen Root type” and Gary thought that was a mean thing to say.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm listening to the Fallout 4 episodes now that I finally got round to playing through it myself. They keep repeating "don't let the good be the enemy of the perfect" but the thing is, personally I wouldn't even describe Fallout 4 as 'good'. I walked away from that game bored out of my mind and feeling like I'd almost wasted 50 hours of my life.

Even if I did enjoy the game, I think their idea that you'll never be happy again if you compare a game to its direct predecessor is flawed, because there's always a billion other videogame series that have what I'm looking for and any number of which I could be playing instead.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 1, 2022

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Beartaco posted:

I'm listening to the Fallout 4 episodes now that I finally got round to playing through it myself. They keep repeating "don't let the good be the enemy of the perfect" but the thing is, personally I wouldn't even describe Fallout 4 as 'good'. I walked away from that game bored out of my mind and feeling like I'd almost wasted 50 hours of my life.

Even if I did enjoy the game, I think their idea that you'll never be happy again if you compare a game to its direct predecessor is flawed, because there's always a billion other videogame series that have what I'm looking for and any number of which I could be playing instead.

I find the attitude was needed to approach Fallout 4 otherwise it’d be 4+ hours of saying x was better in y Fallout.

It’s totally valid to approach a game on it’s own terms without any baggage while also having critical comparisons in the back of your mind.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Old Swerdlow posted:

I find the attitude was needed to approach Fallout 4 otherwise it’d be 4+ hours of saying x was better in y Fallout.

It’s totally valid to approach a game on it’s own terms without any baggage while also having critical comparisons in the back of your mind.

I think you're right that it's a good approach to take when you have to make a podcast about the game. I think the argument falls apart when they're telling this to me the listener, someone who could be playing Elden Ring instead.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Beartaco posted:

I think you're right that it's a good approach to take when you have to make a podcast about the game. I think the argument falls apart when they're telling this to me the listener, someone who could be playing Elden Ring instead.

Fallout 4 is seven years old bro, drop that poo poo like a stone and get on the Elden Train

For the record I loved 3 and New Vegas but 4 just didn't really add to the formula enough for my

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Fallout 4 is seven years old bro, drop that poo poo like a stone and get on the Elden Train

For the record I loved 3 and New Vegas but 4 just didn't really add to the formula enough for my

I'm perpetually half a decade behind on videogames at all times. I buy them at like $2 a pop and I don't have to be a part of the zeitgeist, it's a delight! I'm currently playing through Mafia 3 and my response to everyone and their grandmother playing Elden Ring has been to check out Sekiro (only to remember I don't actually enjoy souls likes and uninstall it).

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Beartaco posted:

I'm perpetually half a decade behind on videogames at all times. I buy them at like $2 a pop and I don't have to be a part of the zeitgeist, it's a delight! I'm currently playing through Mafia 3 and my response to everyone and their grandmother playing Elden Ring has been to check out Sekiro (only to remember I don't actually enjoy souls likes and uninstall it).

I'm normally the first person in the line saying don't fall for hype and don't treat videogames as more than the are but also mafia 3 and Fallout 4 are not great and Elden Ring might legitimately be the best game ever made so.....

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm normally the first person in the line saying don't fall for hype and don't treat videogames as more than the are but also mafia 3 and Fallout 4 are not great and Elden Ring might legitimately be the best game ever made so.....

I'm having a blast with Mafia 3 so far. It has probably one of my favourite soundtracks I've ever seen in a game, absolutely packed with 60s bops and jams. The writing is outstanding and it's often coupled with great cinematography and animations. I forget that these sorts of incredibly self serious crime dramas were a whole genre in videogames at one point. I'm fully invested in these characters. New Bordeuax is a really cool, lived in city designed for both pedestrian and motor vehicle use which isn't something that's often done well in these sorts of games. The missions themselves aren't especially bombastic but it has an almost immersive sim style loop of finding a preferred route into enemy territory and then treating it as a stealth game until it's not which I'm finding incredibly engaging.

I'm looking forward to playing more!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry, it will get extremely repetitive soon enough. There's a reason it isn't all that well-regarded.

It's essentially great cutscenes coupled to a subpar game.

I didn't find the soundtrack selection to be especially inspiring either, seems to be mostly very obvious choices.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
There are a lot of obvious choices but there's also just a lot of music. There's definitely at least one full "Best of CCR" record in there.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I've got two pre-schoolers at the moment, so this is me too. Probably won't be able to play Elden Ring for another 5 years.

Currently playing Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 after hearing about it on the Inscryption episode. Just a few decades late.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Beartaco posted:

That's fair, I bought Fallout 4 at launch and thought it was mediocre and had game breaking bugs that locked me out of many quest lines. And dang the dialogue was poorly written and the male player actor sounded half asleep. Also did not care for the teleportation, cylon clones everywhere, and terminator robot infiltrators. If I had bought the gold edition for $5 on a steam sale with maxed out settings fully patched probably would have liked it more. Although that's true of most any fallout game, New Vegas on xbox 360 was fun but I did not like when Arcade stopped responding to interactions and could not be removed from the party 40 hours into a playthrough.

Recently picked up Outer Worlds and have been enjoying it. It is not New Vegas 2, inventory is clunky, and some side plots are cliche but still a good deal of fun. They put some effort into dialogue, combat is fun, and I like sci fi settings.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Why did I get like a dozen emails from Patreon today?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There was some issues with the new early release rss feed but it seems to be working now.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I wish that Patreon had a check box or something for not sending a message with each update. Not my intention to spam people. Just trying to solve problems.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I appreciated all of the updates and was able to get the feed to work thanks to the latest post so whatever you're doing is working. I also appreciate that you went back and redid the tags on the patreon posts, I too constantly feel the spider bite of a mislabeled file or an unorganized list on the back of my neck. Ever see someone else's email inbox and they have 15,000 unread emails? Same feeling.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know when the Elden Ring season of BSC starts?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Runaway Legs posted:

Does anyone know when the Elden Ring season of BSC starts?

Don't quote me but I think they said they'd be putting out something on the 6th

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Do quote me, we’re putting out a first impressions episode tomorrow (Sunday, 3/6).

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Song For The Deaf posted:

Do quote me, we’re putting out a first impressions episode tomorrow (Sunday, 3/6).

Awesome! Can't wait!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Elden Ring isn't showing up on the early access feed. Probably just the app being lovely, but thought I'd mention it in case other people are having the same issue.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Bug Squash posted:

Elden Ring isn't showing up on the early access feed. Probably just the app being lovely, but thought I'd mention it in case other people are having the same issue.

BSC is a premium show, so it’ll be in that feed, not the early bird feed.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beard Yawn posted:

BSC is a premium show, so it’ll be in that feed, not the early bird feed.

Ah shucks, I though early bird included the premium shows. I've gotten well confused by all the feeds updating.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

During the unfilmable ep on the Ritual they discuss the possibility of a Duckfeed trip to Chernobyl. It sounded like an interesting idea although unlikely to happen for a while now.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
In the NES Remix episode, did Kole say that Kid Icarus' arrows go "two Tomba widths" or am I mishearing?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

In the NES Remix episode, did Kole say that Kid Icarus' arrows go "two Tomba widths" or am I mishearing?

Thats a perfectly comulent unit of measure

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Chuckled at the idea of Gary playing a Silent Hill pachinko machine to get essential lore about the characters

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Interesting to hear Gary and Kole learn about the British Dennis the Menace in the new Exquisite Suffering, the comic book I grew up with as opposed to the weird aryan child Americans claim to be Dennis the Menace. I was immensely confused when I went to see that movie as a kid.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 28, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Listened to the Chrono Trigger ep and was a bit surprised Gary was down on the game (although to be fair he did make sure to note he thought it was fine) while Kole was more positive. Seemed to definitely be that Kole had played it when he was little while Gary had not, which would be a fair reason for their attitudes. I went through it blind as a kid and if you don't have the thrill of knowing who you can get in your party, what ages can be visited, or what combos you can discover as opposed to knowing all that from cultural osmosis, could understand being underwhelmed.

Was glad that it seemed to have aged better in their eyes than Ocarina of Time which I do understand could be a slog to go through if you aren't nostalgic about it, and now that I think about it I don't feel the need to ever revisit any N64 titles.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The lads are featured in aWired article on "Video Game Bookclubs", here.

https://twitter.com/adribbleofink/status/1511744368775901185?s=20&t=WACiuiyNZSdeR4q0_xLEdA

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oh cool! That’s a good interview. I remember Gary used to be quoted by the AV club’s Podmass sometimes but that was a while ago

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I’m a little late and not sure if it’s been mentioned but AS 430 has a peak homeownership Kole story. It might be the closest he’s come to yelling at someone, definitely a must listen and a good cautionary tale about plumbers.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Guppy has conditioned me to the point where I can’t tell if any editing errors or weird stuff going on is on purpose or an honest mistake. I’m happy to truck through it but it seems that this newest batch of episodes has Gary’s and Will’s audio out of sync.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’m a little late and not sure if it’s been mentioned but AS 430 has a peak homeownership Kole story. It might be the closest he’s come to yelling at someone, definitely a must listen and a good cautionary tale about plumbers.

You're not late at all. The episode just came out and I'm firmly on the side of the debate that Mario should not be given a time machine.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

King’s Bounty is a good WOFF, lots of good Heroes of Might and Magic nostalgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Dunno if this made the rounds already but one of the network’s favorite shows Review has new content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu2bOJweujE