Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh yeah that’s the one most don’t like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wing was an even bigger shift than G Gundam. G was wildly, immediately ridiculous and full of Hot Blooded tropes.

Wing was more subtly stupid, packed to the brim with Cute Boyz, and the first episode made it seem like a chunk of it would be taken up by Releena/Heero school bullshit. Then it immediately goes up its rear end about clandestine Government illuminati like OZ, the Roemafeller Foundation, The Treize Faction, and White Fang.

It's like someone made a US adaptation of MSGundam and the notes read "Instead of one cool pilot let's have 5, and let's have them all have very different robots, and instead of political intrigue Char ZECHS MERQUIS can talk about how disillusioned he is with humanity like an emo kid.. just take out all yhe war is hell stuff and make it into Dawson's Creek existential dread."

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Also has a fantastic chinese title, which can be translated to "Dammit, Troublesome Universe"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Frankenstein: The Man Who Created a Human Being"

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/IanWaffles/status/1503203369841664003?s=20&t=UofQjZQ3dekw6qHHRvyBmQ

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

FreudianSlippers posted:

"Frankenstein: The Man Who Created a Human Being"

Varför inte 'Den Moderna Prometheus'? Not only is it closer to the original English it is much more fitting.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

FilthyImp posted:

Wing was an even bigger shift than G Gundam. G was wildly, immediately ridiculous and full of Hot Blooded tropes.

Wing was more subtly stupid, packed to the brim with Cute Boyz, and the first episode made it seem like a chunk of it would be taken up by Releena/Heero school bullshit. Then it immediately goes up its rear end about clandestine Government illuminati like OZ, the Roemafeller Foundation, The Treize Faction, and White Fang.

It's like someone made a US adaptation of MSGundam and the notes read "Instead of one cool pilot let's have 5, and let's have them all have very different robots, and instead of political intrigue Char ZECHS MERQUIS can talk about how disillusioned he is with humanity like an emo kid.. just take out all yhe war is hell stuff and make it into Dawson's Creek existential dread."

Which is exactly why it was the only massive hit Gundam in the states (excluding G which was b/c of its shonen as gently caress story airing next to DBZ). It was like a proto-CW show.

Wing still owns regardless.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Even if you wanted cute anime boys fighting stuff, why would you bother with Gundam Wing when CN also aired Yuyu Hakusho?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Schwarzwald posted:

Even if you wanted cute anime boys fighting stuff, why would you bother with Gundam Wing when CN also aired Yuyu Hakusho?

They were on the same channel at different times, you didn't have to choose

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Gripweed posted:

They were on the same channel at different times, you didn't have to choose

Different years (YYH was with G Gundam).

Wing was in the same lineup with not one, but two (2) different shows involving a main dude with a harem (Tenchi Muyo and Outlaw Star). Possibly 3 if you count Batman Beyond.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Outlaw Star was a year after GWing premiered, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also Outlaw Star isn't....really a harem anime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

dog king?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Jfc I remember Endless Waltz airing one Friday during G Gundam's airing, so maybe that immediate pre/post 9/11 time blurs together.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also Outlaw Star isn't....really a harem anime.

He's the sole adult male on a ship with 3 hot chicks for the majority of the series (including another one he actually sleeps with before she suicides) and the penultimate destination is a hot spring planet.

I'd argue it is.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 15, 2022

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Would like to see these two movie posters with their art styles switched.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Samovar posted:

Varför inte 'Den Moderna Prometheus'? Not only is it closer to the original English it is much more fitting.

The subtitle guy was far more concerned with the most important part of Frankenstein, which is correcting people who think Frankenstein was the name of the creation

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I got curious about the first Danish titles for Frankenstein, and it apparently wasn't published in translation until 1966 (abbreviated, at that!). It was just called Frankenstein, apparently no subtitle.

Anyway, I checked Danish newspapers, and aside from some 1800s notices about sales or lectures about the book (in English), I came across this short mention in the newspaper Folkets Avis February 28, 1884, in an article about "scientific novels" (my translation): "an in its time known, but now probably long forgotten fantastical novel by the poet Shelley's second wife Mary Godwin, "Frankenstein or the new Prometheus", where the terrible automata that the artisan has created demands of him a wife, and kills him when he, fearful of the horrible descent that such a union could create, refuses to fulfill the doll's demand."
https://www2.statsbiblioteket.dk/me...%20frankenstein

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean the book is a bit vague about how exactly Frankenstein constructs his monster. It's been a while since I read it but the only thing I remember is a few somewhat vague references to dissection and slaughter house byproducts.

So I could see someone reading it in the late 19th thinking the monster was some sort of flesh robot.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean the book is a bit vague about how exactly Frankenstein constructs his monster.
None of the actual art and science of putting the creature together is specified. It's all written as through a haze of inspiration, feverish work, and egomania. Though we do know that he had to create an larger-than-average creature since he didn't have the tools or technique to deal with things like capillaries being joined together.

There's previously a section talking about experiments with dead limbs and galvanism, and Victor himself is apparently an accomplished student of Natural Sciences (chemistry) who regards the work of alchemists as notable but incomplete or archaic.

Watching the creation come to life in the light of dawn and realizing that it's poorly held together and its musculature is all gross and sinewy under taut skin is one of those "what the gently caress was I doing" moments.

I love that whole section of the book.

Homunculus or flesh-golem always seemed apt to me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I really liked that part of Deniro/Brannagh Frankenstein movie. He's just building a repulsive, horrible creature, with nonsensical science, but he doesn't realize it until it's too late.

Overall a bit of a naff movie, but interesting parts here and there. Felt like it was trying to capitalize on the success of Bram Stokers Dracula from 2 years earlier, but didn't quite get there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It was definitely going for the whole Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula thing, a grimy but flashy more faithful version of the classic with big stars. It doesn't live up to the former, of course, nothing does.

Dracula is such an incredibly self indulgent mix of fantastic production design, genuinely amazing in-camera effects, and baffling performances. It's simultaneously high art and absolute camp. Every actor seems like they're in a different movie, there's a cowboy and at one point Mina and the Count sexily pet a wolf inside a movie theater. Keanu is struggling, just completely fighting as hard as he can, to say every word of every line as wrong as possible, meanwhile Tom Waits is playing himself and may have just showed up one day so they figured might as well roll camera and call him Renfield, yes please get Mr Waits some more bugs please.

And then compared to all that, Frankenstein is just not a great movie. It's like that classic jpeg of the research paper vs the internet, how can a dull adaptation compete when placed up against girls in bikinis and a dinosaur in a party hat?

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 16, 2022

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

It was definitely going for the whole Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula thing, a grimy but flashy more faithful version of the classic with big stars. It doesn't live up to the former, of course, nothing does.

Dracula is such an incredibly self indulgent mix of fantastic production design, genuinely amazing in-camera effects, and baffling performances. It's simultaneously high art and absolute camp. Every actor seems like they're in a different movie, there's a cowboy and at one point Mina and the Count sexily pet a wolf inside a movie theater. Keanu is struggling, just completely fighting as hard as he can, to say every word of every line as wrong as possible, meanwhile Tom Waits is playing himself and may have just showed up one day so they figured might as well roll camera and call him Renfield, yes please get Mr Waits some more bugs please.

The cowboy is from the original novel.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/scottEmovienerd/status/1503292086162018304

Vincent fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 16, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Bram Stoker basically wrote an American character as a cowboy the same way an American writer might write their Japanese character as a samurai. Just kinda his entire personality.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The vampires were originally only a small part of the story. His editor stepped in or else we would have had Bram Stoker's Cowboy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Cowboye was an infamous Romanian boogeyman. Makes sense.

And yeah. That version of Dracula is just so decadent and unhinged. There's really, really amazing production design like Vlad's weird red muscle-fibre armor or the Succubi, or Old Queer Icon Drac.

And then you get the weirdest performances.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh I know the cowboy is in the novel, it's perfectly silly there too and some really great synergy between the book and movie. Either way, a more reasonable director would have toned him down and have him be just a big American with a big knife, FFC leaned into it and ended up with this cartoon cowboy, it's wonderful.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The book is also pretty silly, Van Helsing can't go like a second without going into a dramatic speech about how poor Mina Harker is suffering so much, we must end this vile creature once and for all.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, Bram Stoker basically wrote an American character as a cowboy the same way an American writer might write their Japanese character as a samurai. Just kinda his entire personality.

Also when he wrote it cowboys were still a thing. Billy the Kid running around, The Shootout at the O.K. Corral, and Jesse James getting shot were all happening only 16 or so years before Dracula came out.

It's not any more far fetched to have the American be a rootin' tootin' cowboy buckaroo with a big ol' bowie knife than it is to have Dracula be a count.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also when he wrote it cowboys were still a thing. Billy the Kid running around, The Shootout at the O.K. Corral, and Jesse James getting shot were all happening only 16 or so years before Dracula came out.

It's not any more far fetched to have the American be a rootin' tootin' cowboy buckaroo with a big ol' bowie knife than it is to have Dracula be a count.

Well I mean in the sense those cowboys didn’t exist. Same for the ideal Samurai really

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hank Hill rear end.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

the fish lips certainly was a choice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

kiimo posted:

the fish lips certainly was a choice

Fun fact, Ultraman has lips because originally the plan was that the mouth of the mask would move when the actor talked. But in production they could never get it to look right so that plan was dropped. The mask used for the first few episodes of Ultraman had a mouth that could move, they just never show it moving.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Fun fact, Ultraman has lips because originally the plan was that the mouth of the mask would move when the actor talked. But in production they could never get it to look right so that plan was dropped. The mask used for the first few episodes of Ultraman had a mouth that could move, they just never show it moving.

Though didn’t Ultraman not really start talking that much until the Heisei era?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Larryb posted:

Though didn’t Ultraman not really start talking that much until the Heisei era?

Ultraman talks the very first time we see him. But, yeah, ttbomk the Ultramans got a lot chattier once they figured out that thing where the Human host/form stands in a black void during the fights and then you could see the actor talking instead of having a voice come out of a static mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RItvTqBU7Qg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Ultraman talks the very first time we see him. But, yeah, ttbomk the Ultramans got a lot chattier once they figured out that thing where the Human host/form stands in a black void during the fights and then you could see the actor talking instead of having a voice come out of a static mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RItvTqBU7Qg

Ultraseven and Jonias from the first anime were somewhat chatty as well if I remember right

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

FilthyImp posted:

Hell yeah when I was 13 Gundam Wing brought the cute boys, cute girls and the fuckin Tallgeese and it turns out that's all I really needed.