Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
We inherited a Dyson vacuum and despite being horrid & plasticky the stupid thing is a decade+ old and refuses to die. My brain cannot allow me to spend £ on 'just' a QOL improvement so I'm gonna be lugging this piece of crap around until it breaks irreperably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the airblade dryers are also noisy as hell and i hate it. almost as bad as the XLR8R or whatever those ones that sound like an F-16 are called. why do public bathrooms have to be so loving loud

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Sagebrush posted:

the airblade dryers are also noisy as hell and i hate it. almost as bad as the XLR8R or whatever those ones that sound like an F-16 are called. why do public bathrooms have to be so loving loud

a few years ago when my brother was in college and was living in the dorms i visited him. the dorm bathrooms were floor-to-ceiling tile and had xlr8r dryers. it was so loud when they ran that it was physically painful.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

my work put in those dyson faucet airblades back when covid first started, and they're awful and everytime i've tried to use it i just got sprinkles of water all over my shirt

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

those airblade things that require you to put your hands into the slot are the worst. it's like a sadistic challenge to not touch the dirty sides while your hands are being blown to and fro

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Agile Vector posted:

*sir james slowly shakes his head as he leaves the bank holding his "This Car Will Really Suck!" pitch deck*

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

AlbertFlasher posted:

I thought dyson moved to singapore after brexit?

dyson the person is a huge brexiteer so that'd be super ironic if they did that

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

jammyozzy posted:

We inherited a Dyson vacuum and despite being horrid & plasticky the stupid thing is a decade+ old and refuses to die. My brain cannot allow me to spend £ on 'just' a QOL improvement so I'm gonna be lugging this piece of crap around until it breaks irreperably.

My family was using a 1963 canister electrolux in 2002. It could be awhile.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

klite codec pack

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SYSV Fanfic posted:

My family was using a 1963 canister electrolux in 2002. It could be awhile.

oh man that brings back memories. my mom had an Electrolux that she bought from a door to door salesman in the early 70’s. the kind where the vacuum is a big tube on wheels that you drag behind the power head.

she used that well into the 90’s, feeding it spare parts and subjecting my dad to having to clean and repair it.

I’m pretty sure you could throw it off a skyscraper and it would be fine. as for how well it actually vacuumed, I think that was less impressive.

that image brings back a lot of memories, weirdly

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Foo posted:

klite codec pack

cccp or BUST :ussr:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

oh man that brings back memories. my mom had an Electrolux that she bought from a door to door salesman in the early 70’s. the kind where the vacuum is a big tube on wheels that you drag behind the power head.

she used that well into the 90’s, feeding it spare parts and subjecting my dad to having to clean and repair it.

I’m pretty sure you could throw it off a skyscraper and it would be fine. as for how well it actually vacuumed, I think that was less impressive.

that image brings back a lot of memories, weirdly

my mom had this one from 1982-2009. lot of memories using it as a kid!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
We got a Dyson wand vacuum for, I don't know, some pretty large percentage discount. I can't imagine paying like $700 for one of these things, but it certainly beats the poo poo of a $50 dustbuster.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tk posted:

We got a Dyson wand vacuum for, I don't know, some pretty large percentage discount. I can't imagine paying like $700 for one of these things, but it certainly beats the poo poo of a $50 dustbuster.

You paid list price, they just couched it as a "great sale" to engage your lizard brain.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

You paid list price, they just couched it as a "great sale" to engage your lizard brain.

I wish I did. I tried to buy one for my parents because I think they would really like it but even the blowout discounts don't come close

Maybe it's hot.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2EMGmv0FqM

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'll give them credit, the newer Dyson handheld vacuums are pretty good and the design is better than other ones I've used e.g. the end pivots better, cleaning the unit is easier etc.

I had one of the first gen ones though and it was a PoS that the battery stopped holding any charge on after about 12 months

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr.Radar posted:

remember when dyson tried to build an electric car and then gave up when they realized how hard it actually was?

they realized they couldn’t get away with just putting a gasoline or diesel generator in a futuristic looking car with electric motors but would actually have to do work

the generator + electric motor hybrid design can actually be really efficient (that’s how locomotives work), but it’s not an “electric car” in the popular consciousness, so they couldn’t use their “bladeless fan” trick to sell it and what else do they know?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr.Radar posted:

a few years ago when my brother was in college and was living in the dorms i visited him. the dorm bathrooms were floor-to-ceiling tile and had xlr8r dryers. it was so loud when they ran that it was physically painful.

when I use one of those my watch gives me a dB alert for possible hearing damage

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

eschaton posted:

they realized they couldn’t get away with just putting a gasoline or diesel generator in a futuristic looking car with electric motors but would actually have to do work

the generator + electric motor hybrid design can actually be really efficient (that’s how locomotives work), but it’s not an “electric car” in the popular consciousness, so they couldn’t use their “bladeless fan” trick to sell it and what else do they know?

funny tech poo poo I just remembered: all the nerds who preordered volts lost their poo poo when gm announced that it had a direct drive mode instead of generator only, despite it being more efficient

anyway locomotive needs are wildly different than passenger cars so generator drive sounds good but doesn’t really make sense compared to something like the prius planetary gearset but I won’t say anything more because i dont want to summon a certain ex auto engineer from the tesla thread

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Trains need a lot of low-end torque, if you were relying on a friction clutch to get things moving from a standstill you would wear that out in very short order.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
> funy tech poo poo u just remembered

lindows

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dvorak

Mid 2000s a nerd in my upper level highschool comprutor class had to bring his keyboard in to type. I remember listening to him explain it the first time to the teacher and got really get interrogated over whether having to carry specialized input was worth the sick wpm gainz. Credit to teacher, he knew what Dvorak was, he just thought the kid was loving with him like how when we scheduled something with him in swatch time.

****Ripped back from portal in 2006***

Blergh, anyways I guess I don't type anymore. Predictive text basically got me covered.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

> funy tech poo poo u just remembered

lindows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSdRTOh2jeA

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

KirbyKhan posted:

Dvorak

Mid 2000s a nerd in my upper level highschool comprutor class had to bring his keyboard in to type. I remember listening to him explain it the first time to the teacher and got really get interrogated over whether having to carry specialized input was worth the sick wpm gainz. Credit to teacher, he knew what Dvorak was, he just thought the kid was loving with him like how when we scheduled something with him in swatch time.

nobody has ever used a dvorak keyboard for anything except writing giant blog posts about how they use a dvorak keyboard

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 19, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i used dvorak a bunch in college

i never actually typed anything on it, but i definitely did go into the keyboard settings and select dvorak layout on a whole bunch of lab machines

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

eschaton posted:

ironically my friend that used to work for dyson wrote his masters thesis* on something involving hybrid cars, I think when I asked him about it he said that it was doomed because James Dyson wouldn't listen to anybody telling him how difficult it was actually going to be. some Big Musk energy right there.

*he wrote like 25,000 words on it. It was entirely unreadable and he got a like 1% higher mark than me for writing about 4x more which he really did not like to be reminded of lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Your Master's thesis was only 6,000 words?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like dyson hand driers and our little dyson dustbuster thing

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

discussion of adobe software in another thread reminded me of macromedia

fireworks
dreamweaver
shockwave
flash

all lmao worthy in their own special way

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

OSI networking

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ASN.1

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

X.400 mail

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

X.500 directory services

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

X.25 packet-switched networking
V.35

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

no, it's macromedia

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Your Master's thesis was only 6,000 words?

you made me go and dig up the files and it was maybe 9k? the entire 4 person group project was 35k words total, so my friends must have been something like 30k solo then had 3 other people's work globbed onto it

this was mech eng and the report was 50% of the grade weighting for the year, I was very heavy on pictures, his was literally all words, I pity the assessors that had to read that

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Anyone remember how small monitors used to be? Like usually 10" visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sometimes their listed dimensions included the bezel, making that 15” screen more like 12