Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Narwhals can also die of starvation.[15]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Antivehicular posted:

Narwhals can also die of starvation.[15]

adding to [[Category:List of creatures that can die from starvation]]

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

David Foster Wikipedia

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Prince Charles is the Duke of Rothesay and has visited the toilets. The urinal which he patronised is marked with his coat of arms, by royal appointment.[3] There is a visitors' book for other patrons.[3]

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

someone was just showing off their formatting skills

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jabberlock posted:

wikipedia can do some forms of latex formatting (math & stuff) but apparently this really is just css transforms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Stylized_LaTeX

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Jabberlock posted:

why do people do this. “you should use this typesetting software, we still use it in the era of wysiwyg because it produces beautiful output, and to prove it we write its name in the ugliest way imaginable”

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Soricidus posted:

why do people do this. “you should use this typesetting software, we still use it in the era of wysiwyg because it produces beautiful output, and to prove it we write its name in the ugliest way imaginable”

also, they insist that it's pronounced in a way that it isn't spelled :rant:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

the biggest lie about latex is that it has beautiful defaults, most obviously computer modern is one of the worst fonts in regular "professional" usage in the world.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prefect posted:

also, they insist that it's pronounced in a way that it isn't spelled :rant:

it is pronounced exactly as it's spelled, just that the last letter is a greek chi. because mixing latin and greek letters in a single word is something that people do.
:goonsay:

it's exactly as stupid as if i named my software "BOLT" but said "actually it's pronounced VOLT because the first letter is a cyrillic B, which makes a V sound"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LATEX is an engineer's idea of good typography, which is like how elon musk is a stupid person's idea of a smart person.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i used microsoft word for my dissertation with formulae and proofs. i also use it for my resume

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Achmed Jones posted:

i used microsoft word for my dissertation with formulae and proofs. i also use it for my resume

Good strategy, lets the recruiter tweak your resume to tailor it for the position.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Sagebrush posted:

LATEX is an engineer's idea of good typography, which is like how elon musk is a stupid person's idea of a smart person.

it is LATEX :colbert:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
and it's pronounced lah-tech where the ch in tech is throaty like you're saying chanukah

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DELETE CASCADE posted:

and it's pronounced lah-tech where the ch in tech is throaty like you're saying chanukah

why

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

shibboleth

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
gezundheit! :buddy:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

The characters 'T', 'E', and 'X' in the name come from the Greek capital letters tau, epsilon, and chi, as the name of TeX derives from the Ancient Greek: τέχνη ('skill', 'art', 'technique'); for this reason, TeX's creator Donald Knuth promotes its pronunciation as /tɛx/ (tekh)[16] (that is, with a voiceless velar fricative as in Modern Greek, similar to the ch in loch). Lamport remarks that "TeX is usually pronounced tech, making lah-tech, lah-tech, and lay-tech the logical choices; but language is not always logical, so lay-tecks is also possible."[17]

thread-relevant content itp

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

lol okay

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hate it so loving much

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

leave it to academia to come up with poo poo like this

the typography tho, it's great tho

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

latex resume is an excellent way to stand out as a nerd amongst nerds

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DELETE CASCADE posted:

latex resume is an excellent way to stand out as a nerd amongst nerds

do you mean a resume done in latex or a resume made of latex?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

omg, both

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sagebrush posted:

it's exactly as stupid as if i named my software "BOLT" but said "actually it's pronounced VOLT because the first letter is a cyrillic B, which makes a V sound"
Christ even when I kinda agree with you I still want to give you a wedgie

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no one ever wedgied me in school so i have to keep posting like this and hoping that someday it happens

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

playing with latex is fun until its infuriating

i have a package which is pretty much done that i intend to put on ctan but theres a bug in there that i cant figure out so ive been ignoring it for two years

anyway i would have to learn vbasic or whatever if i was gonna write these things in msword & lol at doing that

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sagebrush posted:

no one ever wedgied me in school

Anyway if you're ever in LA let me know and I'll make your dreams come true. You've earned it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

👀

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I'm pretty much alone in biology in writing my dissertation with LaTeX. I nerded out on how you could get a text with a nice straight right margin, something MS Word is still completely incapable of doing. what really sold me on LaTeX back then was BibTeX and having a database for references with control over formatting and automation over keeping track of references in the text and the bibliography. MS Word is really poo poo at references, and back then integration with Endnote and stuff was a nightmare.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

thanks for coming to my TeX talk, I'm your host Tom Collins and I will have a garden burger with fries and a lemonade.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

axolotl farmer posted:

I'm pretty much alone in biology in writing my dissertation with LaTeX. I nerded out on how you could get a text with a nice straight right margin, something MS Word is still completely incapable of doing. what really sold me on LaTeX back then was BibTeX and having a database for references with control over formatting and automation over keeping track of references in the text and the bibliography. MS Word is really poo poo at references, and back then integration with Endnote and stuff was a nightmare.

i bet framemaker would have done what you needed :)

(love that i was a technical writer who specialized in framemaker just as everybody stopped using it :saddowns:)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the big question is how xetex is actually pronounced

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not about to switch away from latex for just about any reason, but it sure is an easy target for criticism (same typesetting of the name of this most typographically advanced flavor is used everywhere)

(no wedgies plox)

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Sagebrush posted:

right but В is a separate codepoint

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mainstream rock is the true successor to the widespread album-oriented rock (AOR) format created in the 1970s. However, mainstream rock can be used as a modernized update of classic rock if any radio station playlist has to cut back on some active rock artists and songs due to ratings and popularity demand, which is an absolute variable in each local market by each state and each franchised or locally owned radio company operation. To this day, there are a select few mainstream rock programmed stations that will purposely play any new rock artist while keeping the classics involved, which sits on a borderline scale being influenced by active rock strongly. Meanwhile, some stations consist of playing all 40 years worth of rock hits, ranging from classic hard rock and hair metal artists all the way to 2000s hard rock and metal artists, the format is an open variable. Classic hard rock of the mid to late 1970s and glam metal from the mid to late 1980s alongside the traditional follow up of the 1990s alternative and grunge is the typical expectation for mainstream rock, it is less common to hear many newer rock artists.

It is becoming more rare to come across a rock station that will do so, meanwhile broadcasting and marketing the format. Mainstream rock is evolving into a sequel for the classic rock radio format, it is slowly removing any artist that are post 1990s and newer, this is a following trend since hardly any classic rock station will play harder and heavier songs and artists within their format.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

not about to switch away from latex for just about any reason, but it sure is an easy target for criticism (same typesetting of the name of this most typographically advanced flavor is used everywhere)

(no wedgies plox)

eh those red lines dont prove anything. it does look bad, but kerning is art, not science. you cant beep boop your way to the "correct" kern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

The song was featured during the 2016 Democratic National Convention, as the convention took place in Philadelphia, the city that the song is named for.