Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

(no wedgies plox)
you will be spared.

for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

eh those red lines dont prove anything. it does look bad, but kerning is art, not science. you cant beep boop your way to the "correct" kern

no professional did the kerning for a backwards vertically offset E. i am saying it looks like garbage, are you saying that you think it looks good?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

After they appeared as guests on the Sonny & Cher show in early 1974, a producer for CBS was impressed by the brothers' stage presence and offered them their own variety hour on the network for the summer slot.[6] The Hudson Brothers Show[7] aired Wednesday nights on CBS from July 31, 1974 to August 28, 1974.[8] The show was so successful that CBS devised The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show, which aired on Saturday mornings, from September 7, 1974 to August 30, 1975, in a half-hour format.[8] The group's television exposure resulted in the brothers becoming teen idols.[8] Although stated above & incorrectly accepted as fact, The Hudson Brothers NEVER appeared on Sonny & Cher in early 1974. The ONLY appearance by The Hudson Brothers on Sonny & Cher was the October 31, 1976 episode of The Sonny & Cher Show, which was AFTER their summer replacement show in 1974.[9]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

eh those red lines dont prove anything. it does look bad, but kerning is art, not science. you cant beep boop your way to the "correct" kern

Isn't the point that the serif on the E lines up with the straight line on the X? Setting it so they were the exact same distance apart would look way, way worse than doing it that way (obviously just not being cute with the typography was never an option)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

no professional did the kerning for a backwards vertically offset E. i am saying it looks like garbage, are you saying that you think it looks good?

no it does look like garbage, but the red lines are irrelevant. the difference between the mid-E and the low-X serif distances arent the reason

like how a lowercase v goes under a capital T, it's not the same kern to the left or right cause the v or T might not be symmetrical. its not a mathematical function, but a judgment call by an artist

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Isn't the point that the serif on the E lines up with the straight line on the X? Setting it so they were the exact same distance apart would look way, way worse than doing it that way (obviously just not being cute with the typography was never an option)

omg lol yea they clearly lined up the upper E/X serifs like that was the formula for good typography

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 18, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anyone who cares about making nicely typeset documents is these days doing it in something like indesign.

𝓛𝓐𝓣𝓔𝓧 is for stupid dorks who think that there's a mathematical equation that defines how letters should be arranged on a page, and it's just as dumb as thinking you can come up with a mathematical formula to make beautiful paintings. they want to believe that you can optimize everything into one correct solution and then apply that everywhere. it's an attitude you encounter a lot in engineering and it's so tedious and frustrating.

point to consider: when was the last time you saw a XƎ⊥∀˥ document that wasn't using the default configuration, or something very similar to it? have you ever seen, say, a poster done in ℓαтєχ? a restaurant menu? an infographic?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

there's a nice tex package that changes the font to i think adobe utopia which i used on literally ever tex document i made in college, went a long way to make things look like i didn't use tex

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was talking with an engineer once about sketching and drawing, since that is something designers are good at (at least until they become directors. lol) and engineers are...generally not.

he commented that he liked the way i could draw, and said "i think if i could learn to draw one thing really well, that would be enough for me. like if i could draw, you know, a really good martini glass that looked like glass, or something, then i'd consider myself a good artist."

that was like 10 years ago and i'm still baffled by it today. what an incredibly bizarre way to think about art.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

point to consider: when was the last time you saw a XƎ⊥∀˥ document that wasn't using the default configuration, or something very similar to it?

thats like 100% of the latex documents ive seen in ten years

e: thats not true, that guy with the trebuchet definitely used defaults, but aside from him i dont think ive seen a lot of defaults recently

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i feel like there must be some survival bias(?) in there. like if it looks obvs like lovely latex, its lovely latex, but if you cant tell its latex, who knows what it is?

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 18, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

i was talking with an engineer once about sketching and drawing, since that is something designers are good at (at least until they become directors. lol) and engineers are...generally not.

he commented that he liked the way i could draw, and said "i think if i could learn to draw one thing really well, that would be enough for me. like if i could draw, you know, a really good martini glass that looked like glass, or something, then i'd consider myself a good artist."

that was like 10 years ago and i'm still baffled by it today. what an incredibly bizarre way to think about art.

haha nice

i am really good at skulls. i mean i can draw most things fairly well, but skulls is my main competence. i just get more into it for some reason

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

have you ever seen, say, a poster done in ℓαтєχ?

Why yes, I have been to an ACM conference or 2. Institutions make matching templates for their posters and their presentation slides.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Carthag Tuek posted:

i feel like there must be some survival bias(?) in there. like if it looks obvs like lovely latex, its lovely latex, but if you cant tell its latex, who knows what it is?

"how often have you seen something created in latex that doesn't obviously look like it was created in latex" is a pretty obviously unanswerable question

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Plorkyeran posted:

"how often have you seen something created in latex that doesn't obviously look like it was created in latex" is a pretty obviously unanswerable question
that’s their point. it’s akin to survivorship bias: much like you don’t notice all of the entrepreneurs who failed because they just fade into the background, you don’t notice the latex documents that were good because you didn’t realize they were latex

vv: misunderstood your post then; my bad

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 19, 2022

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
yes i was agreeing with them

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

haha nice

i am really good at skulls. i mean i can draw most things fairly well, but skulls is my main competence. i just get more into it for some reason

BARONS PORTRAIT ARTIST

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

i feel like there must be some survival bias(?) in there.
Also sagebrush is an insufferable know-it-all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

true but we are all nerds here

or at least i am

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jabor posted:

Good strategy, lets the recruiter tweak your resume to tailor it for the position.

word for editing, pdf for sending ya goose

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

true but we are all nerds here

or at least i am
I am a dork, and not one to put on airs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

i'm in this post and i like it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

It's true. I do know all (in certain fields)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

i always thought dork was fancier than nerd

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
dork > nerd > geek

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

dork > nerd > geek
https://www.theonion.com/gaywads-dorkwads-sign-historic-wad-accord-1819565037

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
hail ctan

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

til he is also a draw-it-all

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sagebrush posted:

It's true. I do know all (in certain fields)

seems like you missed epistemology

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Highballs are popular in Japan, often made with Japanese whisky as a haibōru (ハイボール)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

https://twitter.com/punished_picnic/status/1505423900921970689?t=lq-aNOCNdaSH1qYc2U6Jlw&s=19

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the arson was excusable, they were trying to stop a dangerous invasive species

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Indecent exposure is not a real crime. If you're naked and doing something gross and sexual and offensive, then it's sexual harassment. Otherwise you're just being naked and there's nothing wrong with that

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
do we need to watch out for you being naked around playgrounds?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qsvui posted:

do we need to watch out for you being naked around playgrounds?

"i'm not indecent! i'm not indecent!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a registered sex offender

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Midjack posted:

"i'm not indecent! i'm not indecent!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a registered sex offender

lol

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Relevant

https://twitter.com/snep__ebooks/status/1504319115456139264

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Indecent exposure is not a real crime. If you're naked and doing something gross and sexual and offensive, then it's sexual harassment.
do you have a fetish for being wrong about things?

Sexual harassment is a tort.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
41% of Ukrainians had a "good" attitude towards Russians (42% negatively),[14] while in general 54% of Russians had a positive attitude towards Ukraine, according to an October 2021 of the country's population. This has likely changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:france: