Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

xd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

02B6C4 posted:

proton doesn't work well with DRM heavy games

LTSC gets security updates until 2029 you know

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

One of you windows nerds probably knows this. Is there any equivalent of screen or tmux for windows?

You use the windows key (known to you linuxers as the MEGA key) + the arrow keys OP hth

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Lol

Love to pay Microsoft $9/month for cloud file storage when I already have 1TB from o365

I can't wait to sign up for a monthly Microsoft Paint cloud subscription to unlock the eraser tool

kind of doubt that is the pay structure it'll have, it is a screenshot of the clipchamp website which hasn't been changed since microsoft bought them a couple of months back.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
as far as I can tell you can't set no password for windows without detaching from an account

at least thats how I rememeber

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

kind of doubt that is the pay structure it'll have, it is a screenshot of the clipchamp website which hasn't been changed since microsoft bought them a couple of months back.
The way they worded it made it sound like it was being installed on new installations of Windows 11 now but I guess maybe they just meant that it is decided that it will be in the future so yeah hopefully they'll change that and either stop the stupid limitations of the free version or include it with o365 or something.

echinopsis posted:

as far as I can tell you can't set no password for windows without detaching from an account

at least thats how I rememeber
I believe this is true and microsoft accounts are going to be mandatory now so it will essentially be impossible to not have a password.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

It's a screenshot of what you see when you click the Upgrade button (which you need to do if you want to export a video higher than 480p). In the app. It was installed to my Win11 system, which is not in the Insiders branch.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

It's a screenshot of what you see when you click the Upgrade button (which you need to do if you want to export a video higher than 480p). In the app. It was installed to my Win11 system, which is not in the Insiders branch.

oho, i stand corrected, but also really doubt that'll stick.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
im reaaaaaaally tempted to jump ship to macs, .net development seem to be fine over there now

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

if ms makes me pay for windows i’ll just stop using it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

I believe this is true and microsoft accounts are going to be mandatory now so it will essentially be impossible to not have a password.

I detest logging into my own home pc gently caress this bullshit

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kernel Sanders posted:

im reaaaaaaally tempted to jump ship to macs, .net development seem to be fine over there now
as long as you don't need to support framework stuff yeah, rider on macos is great

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

friends don't let friends buy macs

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like to use a mac

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

i like to use a mac

low energy even for your long history of low energy yosposting

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

low energy even for your long history of low energy yosposting

:tipshat:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I plugged a samsung phone into my windows pc today to grab a picture or something and this immediately happened

event log says windows itself downloaded the driver responsible for this garbage as soon as the device connected

nice operating system good job

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

burning swine posted:

I plugged a samsung phone into my windows pc today to grab a picture or something and this immediately happened

event log says windows itself downloaded the driver responsible for this garbage as soon as the device connected

nice operating system good job

i wonder if they hosed up that installer like razer did: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/razer-bug-lets-you-become-a-windows-10-admin-by-plugging-in-a-mouse/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
had to figure out something for work, and now I like powershell

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Sorry to hear it

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Chris Knight posted:

There's help out there

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

:barf:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

its weird but kind of fun in its way

mystes
May 31, 2006

post hole digger posted:

its weird but kind of fun in its way
It's actually not particularly weird but also incredibly annoying in various ways

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it did exactly what I needed to get done, and I was able to figure it out pretty quickly. no complaints at all.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I didn't know because I have it disabled anyway but apparently the weather widget thing in the taskbar was updated to show randomly changing stock charts?

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is microsoft dead set on doing only windows these days or?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

Microsoft, like google, is dead set on not having any idea what it's trying to do

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mystes posted:

Microsoft, like google, is dead set on not having any idea what it's trying to do

there's no emphasis from these companies on expansion

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

what do you mean? their bread and butter is (and has been for a LONG time) office365 and associated support contracts

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

the shocking thing was that windows 10 wasn't the LAST windows

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

I didn't know because I have it disabled anyway but apparently the weather widget thing in the taskbar was updated to show randomly changing stock charts?
they're really forcing their loving weather thing everywhere. on by default in the Outlook calendar, in the taskbar, on the default Edge tabs. yeesh

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

what do you mean? their bread and butter is (and has been for a LONG time) office365 and associated support contracts

is it still, or has azure/enterprise cloud stuff overtaken it?

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
talk about boring

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

The_Franz posted:

is it still, or has azure/enterprise cloud stuff overtaken it?

im curious myself

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I will actually pay MS $500 for a license of Windows called 'gently caress Off' edition, where it's just Pro and has removed all the ads, MS account requirements, and ships without the Windows Store.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Chris Knight posted:

they're really forcing their loving weather thing everywhere. on by default in the Outlook calendar, in the taskbar, on the default Edge tabs. yeesh

the weather always defaults to loving Redmond even though it knows where I am

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
All Microsoft features are bonusware

They exist to get the program manager who insisted on it a juicy bonus

On a scale of 1 to 10, how likely are you to recommend Microsoft Windows to a friend or colleague?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Didn't the weather thing get removed in Windows 11?

I actually missed it so I used ExplorerPatcher to both bring it back and replace it with Accuweather lmbo

e: I still like WSA and WSL a fair bit, it's worth the hassle, plus there's gaming

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
it's still there but it lives in the systray so it looks like a TSR rather than a spyware searchbar