Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

the GWS in BDSP is FINALLY LIVE!

https://twitter.com/OfSavita/status/1503929095721152515

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Bulbapedia says of the 3/15 BDSP patch that:

quote:

Some issues have been fixed for more pleasant gameplay.
Any word on what these are?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Checked the dedicated trading thread and it seemed pretty dead. Can you even do online trading for X at this point? If so if any noble goons or goonettes or nb goons could help me evolve my stupid new bug guy that would be lit.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Checked the dedicated trading thread and it seemed pretty dead. Can you even do online trading for X at this point? If so if any noble goons or goonettes or nb goons could help me evolve my stupid new bug guy that would be lit.

Yell at me on the Discord linked in the OP sometime this week and I'll give it a whirl

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Are you willing to explain this to me very simply, like I'm an idiot? I've tried changing my 3DS DNS and nothing happens when I do Mystery Gift. Do I need to change the DNS for an Android hotspot I create? Do I do that by changing the DNS for my wireless connection? I can't find a way to gently caress with my hotspot DNS, but my husband says it makes no sense to gently caress with the wireless DNS since my phone will be replacing that.

Update: Also, Omg: https://twitter.com/Watchoutitsabe1/status/1504309311899529217?t=4NsK6pX_WZoU3agcuB8fkg&s=19

watchoutitsabear fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 17, 2022

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

watchoutitsabear posted:

Are you willing to explain this to me very simply, like I'm an idiot? I've tried changing my 3DS DNS and nothing happens when I do Mystery Gift. Do I need to change the DNS for an Android hotspot I create? Do I do that by changing the DNS for my wireless connection? I can't find a way to gently caress with my hotspot DNS, but my husband says it makes no sense to gently caress with the wireless DNS since my phone will be replacing that.

https://wii.guide/wiimmfi.html#ds-games

This is probably as step by step as can be for setting up the connection; remember that you need to change your 3ds' system date to the date of the mystery gift you want, and with ds games you set up the wifi connection in the game itself, not through the 3ds wifi connection menu. In most Pokémon games there should just be an option on the main menu to set up WFC/WiFi.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Polderjoch posted:

https://wii.guide/wiimmfi.html#ds-games

This is probably as step by step as can be for setting up the connection; remember that you need to change your 3ds' system date to the date of the mystery gift you want, and with ds games you set up the wifi connection in the game itself, not through the 3ds wifi connection menu. In most Pokémon games there should just be an option on the main menu to set up WFC/WiFi.

That's what I was doing wrong, thank you!

Gaaahhhh shiny Eevee in a cherish ball is so good but I cannot nickname it therefore I cannot love it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Shiny Vulpix in a mass outbreak last night! Shiny Ninetales is goorgeous, I'm very pleased. Also wow, Volo is really giving me the creeps as I approach the end of the story.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Shiny Ninetails is very good and pretty, congrats!

My Japanese copy of SoulSilver has arrived, and I am thrilled to report that although I can read the Japanese phonetic alphabets, I don't actually speak Japanese. Did y'all know there is a LOT of text in these games?? Sadly there was no existing save file so I'm going to have to play through long enough to catch a Ditto. My husband keeps encouraging me that Twitch was able to play Pokemon.

I'm going to do this in stages. I've got a female Japanese Cyndaquil that I've sent over to my completed save in HeartGold to breed for a shiny Cyndaquil to use for my new (English) game in SoulSilver. Once I've got that I figure I can play the English and Japanese copies at the same time to figure out what's going on until I get to Route 35 and Ditto time, and then I can cast Japanese SoulSilver aside and get to work on the rest of my team.

I'm doing all of this for maybe 30 minutes a night after the kids are in bed, so I figure it's going to take a few months/years to get a full team together, but so far this is a really fun stupid project to work on. I was surprised how pleasantly mindless soft resetting for shiny Shaymin was, I just tried a couple resets a day while waiting in line at the grocery store, watching TV, etc.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

watchoutitsabear posted:

Shiny Ninetails is very good and pretty, congrats!

My Japanese copy of SoulSilver has arrived, and I am thrilled to report that although I can read the Japanese phonetic alphabets, I don't actually speak Japanese. Did y'all know there is a LOT of text in these games?? Sadly there was no existing save file so I'm going to have to play through long enough to catch a Ditto. My husband keeps encouraging me that Twitch was able to play Pokemon.

I'm going to do this in stages. I've got a female Japanese Cyndaquil that I've sent over to my completed save in HeartGold to breed for a shiny Cyndaquil to use for my new (English) game in SoulSilver. Once I've got that I figure I can play the English and Japanese copies at the same time to figure out what's going on until I get to Route 35 and Ditto time, and then I can cast Japanese SoulSilver aside and get to work on the rest of my team.

I'm doing all of this for maybe 30 minutes a night after the kids are in bed, so I figure it's going to take a few months/years to get a full team together, but so far this is a really fun stupid project to work on. I was surprised how pleasantly mindless soft resetting for shiny Shaymin was, I just tried a couple resets a day while waiting in line at the grocery store, watching TV, etc.

Consider using a capture card and streaming/casting this with commentary.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There’s currently a max raid event in Sword/Shield where you can get shiny Tyrantrum.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

No thanks, I'm not some kind of sick simp for Tyrantrums

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

There’s currently a max raid event in Sword/Shield where you can get shiny Tyrantrum.

How do these events work?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

good news, they don’t!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

So I missed an entire corner of the highlands map and just went and scooped up Cleffa, Clefairy and alpha Clefable all in one journey. I better check the other areas now -.-

Nabbed Shaymin too. I love Shaymin so much. What a cute little chap.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

During the event period, connect to the internet or use the "Get the latest Wild Area news" option in the mystery gift menu. After doing this, the event raids will be mixed randomly among the normal raids in the Wild Area, Isle of Armor, and Crown Tundra.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

RIP to a real one. The fairy gym proved to be fatal

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Keep hunting for max raids with Tyrantrums silhouette until you pop a shiny one. There’s a 2% chance, but if you’re jumping into other peoples raids, the odds are a little better.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Scholtz posted:

No thanks, I'm not some kind of sick simp for Tyrantrums

Ah, an Aurorus man are we?

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

I forgot that in addition to leveling up in daycare in HGSS, Pokemon will learn new moves while they're in there. My male Cyndaquil unlearned Extrasensory and now I have two boxes full of eggs that don't have the egg move I want.

Sigh. The defining HGSS experience really is delayed gratification.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
When gen 9 takes away the move swapping mechanic introduced in Arceus im going to be so unsurprised and furious at the same time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/R1ZMY/status/1505205122950868995?s=20&t=r4kke-kLWq5VEvuCaA4-mw

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Just dealt with a mass outbreak of incredibly aggressive and perspicacious cascoons. Calm the gently caress down you horrible little footballs.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

Just dealt with a mass outbreak of incredibly aggressive and perspicacious cascoons. Calm the gently caress down you horrible little footballs.

The footballs are alive and angry

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
came here to say i mostly enjoyed pl: arceus because of sneasler specifically. embodies all of the traits i admire in guys (tall, lanky, fuzzy, awkward).

pretty much 70s ric ocasek as a pokemon

euroshopper fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 21, 2022

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

HopperUK posted:

they're loving mean! why are they so mean?!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I loved Arceus until I had to capture the incarnates. I don't know who created that minigame but it's absurdly miserable, especially for a pokemon game.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really loved the catching aspect and the way it works. But I got pretty burned out before the end. I went back and got to the credits now. But I'm probably going to take a break before I go through with all the extra stuff after.

I'm pretty excited to see how this will transfer into the new gen though, if they do keep the catching mechanic this way. Maybe having gyms again will help break up the feeling of getting a little burned out on it. But I think for me, it was probably also that they encouraged getting so many of each pokemon to fill the dex. If I'm playing a normal game, I'd just get one and move on.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I kind of feel that this is a bit of a catch 22 for game freak. If pokemon are in the open world, then you need a lot of them or the game will feel weirdly empty. However if there are a lot of them, but no reason to interact with them, then you just create a situation where the player is trying to dodge around like crazy for the entire playthrough.

Overall I feel PLA balances this pretty well, but sometimes when your just trying to get somewhere past more aggressive mons it can still be annoying trying to Leeroy though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Hrist posted:

they encouraged getting so many of each pokemon to fill the dex.

Not really though? I mean yes, you can just catch a ton of a species of Pokemon to get it to level 10, but that's not efficient, and in fact it's actually impossible to fill an entry purely by catching for most species, since most Pokemon only give you one point per catch level, and that maxes out at 5. Some will give you 2 points per level but those are pretty rare. It doesn't really matter though because it's absolutely possible to get a completed dex by only catching one of each Pokemon, with rare exceptions (one that's been mentioned in the thread is Shieldon; unless you catch a heavy specimen on your first attempt, you have to catch two to complete its entry).

So in fact, it's the opposite: the game very much encourages you to actually use Pokemon and fill other research tasks, like seeing them use a style move, a particular move, or even just the sidequests that will give you research points too. Unless you want a Perfect on every species (in which case you're nuts).

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

euroshopper posted:

came here to say i mostly enjoyed pl: arceus because of sneasler specifically. embodies all of the traits i admire in guys (tall, lanky, fuzzy, awkward).

pretty much 70s ric ocasek as a pokemon

Sneasler looks like an ORIGINAL CHARACTER: DONUT STEAL Sonic OC and I am here for it

Also I kinda wish there was more settlements in PLA tbh.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I agree that it can be a little annoying trying to make your way through an area and 40 things get really pissed off at you and start trying to assault you. Like, I get it, but when there's no cover and I want a chance to actually look around, it's annoying that I can't really do that without wiping out or catching everything there. It makes more sense when it's a den of bears, less so when it's a bunch of frogs chilling in ponds or tiny mush-cicadas.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not really though? I mean yes, you can just catch a ton of a species of Pokemon to get it to level 10, but that's not efficient, and in fact it's actually impossible to fill an entry purely by catching for most species, since most Pokemon only give you one point per catch level, and that maxes out at 5. Some will give you 2 points per level but those are pretty rare. It doesn't really matter though because it's absolutely possible to get a completed dex by only catching one of each Pokemon, with rare exceptions (one that's been mentioned in the thread is Shieldon; unless you catch a heavy specimen on your first attempt, you have to catch two to complete its entry).

So in fact, it's the opposite: the game very much encourages you to actually use Pokemon and fill other research tasks, like seeing them use a style move, a particular move, or even just the sidequests that will give you research points too. Unless you want a Perfect on every species (in which case you're nuts).

I don't know. I'm not crazy about watching a thing use the same move 20+ times either. I never use the majority of these pokemon. Especially in a game where they all die in one hit anyway. And when there's always 10 of them spawning within 5 feet of each other, it's easier to just do the catching requirements and coincidentally get a few of the moves checked off while I fight a few. There's so many that I got to 10 just by catching them after I flew back to camp to heal, and going back to the objective over and over.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think the shiny completion tasks are one level too high, but getting to level ten on a Pokemon usually doesn't require more than three moves in the appropriate style.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I do wish the balloon ghosts and the parases would chill out a bit.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Hrist posted:

There's so many that I got to 10 just by catching them

no there’s not

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

indigi posted:

no there’s not

There's quite a few if by "catch" they mean "encounter, and chuch pokeballs while it attacks me" like how most people catch alphas before they learn food is worth it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
well if you’re fighting every single thing you try to catch no wonder you don’t like the game

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

indigi posted:

well if you’re fighting every single thing you try to catch no wonder you don’t like the game

I'm just saying a lot of the ones I got to 10 were because they broke out of the pokeball and turned hostile and I would fight them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fight a dozen while defeating with certain types, catch a dozen after feeding them, easy research level 10 for, what, 90% of the dex?

The most tedium for me was getting the starters filled out via "use style/move x number of times" before evolving and repeating the process two more times for each of them

At least it's easy to double or triple up on tasks, like using Agile Psyshield Bash with Stantler to fill out its dex and evolve it