Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

The Berzerker posted:

I watched a few seasons of Oz back in the day but I'm currently watching it all the way through and I've noticed Bodie and Carver, I still have lots to go though.

There's already some you're missing. Busmalis was an FBI agent in the wire. He was also a cop in trading places but that's not important right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

zenguitarman posted:

A friend recommended me Borgias a while ago, is that any good?

Also, I've never watched Oz, but I guess it has a bunch of actors from the wire in it too? It looks a little "early 2000s" in the way the first season of the wire looks a little dated sometimes too.

The Borgias with John Doman is the European one made by.... Canal+ I think? It's not the Starz one with Jeremy Irons. The Starz one is .... not ideal. Jeremy Irons is great, but everyone else is meh and the historical changes make me want to stab the writers in the neck because they sort of try to make Cesare the anti-hero, but end up whitewashing a dude who was a legit psychotic monster.

The European one is better, but I have yet to finish the second season. The first season is pretty good though. My only complaint is that the actors are supposed to be Italians/Spaniards and whoever cast them does absolutely nothing to maintain consistent accents or ways of speaking which results in some absolutely hilarious results at times. The entire Borgia family look and sound nothing alike. For example, John Doman does literally nothing about his accent and plays the part of Rodrigo Borgia as though he's Bill Rawls - if Bill Rawls was Pope Alexander VI.

edit: seriously, he plays the part exactly like he's still playing Bill Rawls.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 19, 2022

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Ithle01 posted:

plays the part of Rodrigo Borgia as though he's Bill Rawls - if Bill Rawls was Pope Alexander VI.

If he plays it like this scene I have zero problem with that.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Off the top of my head: Avon, Rawls, The Greek's FBI Handler, Bodie, Carver, Herc, Daniels, Cheese, the Mayor's #2, Michael's stepdad and Burrell all have actors who played parts in Oz.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

V-Men posted:

If he plays it like this scene I have zero problem with that.

There are a couple of scenes where he's dressing down the college of cardinals and watching it feels ..... weird. Like, I've seen it before, but the context is all wrong.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ithle01 posted:

The Borgias with John Doman is the European one made by.... Canal+ I think? It's not the Starz one with Jeremy Irons. The Starz one is .... not ideal. Jeremy Irons is great, but everyone else is meh and the historical changes make me want to stab the writers in the neck because they sort of try to make Cesare the anti-hero, but end up whitewashing a dude who was a legit psychotic monster.

The European one is better, but I have yet to finish the second season. The first season is pretty good though. My only complaint is that the actors are supposed to be Italians/Spaniards and whoever cast them does absolutely nothing to maintain consistent accents or ways of speaking which results in some absolutely hilarious results at times. The entire Borgia family look and sound nothing alike. For example, John Doman does literally nothing about his accent and plays the part of Rodrigo Borgia as though he's Bill Rawls - if Bill Rawls was Pope Alexander VI.

"These are for you, Savonarola"

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Been sort of going through all five seasons and skipping through episodes to catch the highlights I remember. I don't think there's another show that captures the early 2000s like The Wire does. I mean, there are television shows that are more representative of the absurd overexposure of the time, like 24 or CSI, but The Wire cuts past all that bullshit and gets to how it really was.

edit: I'm wrong about this, Spotlight (about the Boston Globe uncovering the Catholic church pedo priest scandal) does a great job of nailing the era too (and in a nice bit of irony, directed by the guy who played Templeton in season 5).

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 6, 2022

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The changes in technology over the course of the series is always interesting to think about, also because it ends right before the modern smartphone era. Would have really liked to see what a season would be like built upon when you start getting cheap smartphones out to people and how that changes the game.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I can't wait to see what Simon does with We Own This City as an epilogue or sequel.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH0ya7oMqDY

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Landsman :3

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

gently caress yeah.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:fap:
looks awesome

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Collichio was in Ukraine training freedom fighters.

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1503904083836641282?s=21

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

We Own This City is just what I want.

I really adore The Wire, especially for its realism. I've spent time looking into it, trying to find out things they got wrong in how different people are portrayed-- cops, teachers, lawyers, gangsters etc. The show has an excellent rep for a reason.

Only one criticism has stood out for me though. It came from some sociologist who was watching The Wire with a bunch of former gangsters. And one thing they kept saying is how this cop or that cop should be on the take. Should be corrupt. And given how much has come out about the police force in Baltimore, it looks like these gangsters were right, there are indeed lots of corrupt cops. So I'm very interested in seeing this aspect explored.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
McNulty could never be on the take.

I mean, that's mostly because he's already fully compromised in a completely different way but still

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn this show looks great, can't loving wait.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

christmas boots posted:

McNulty could never be on the take.

I mean, that's mostly because he's already fully compromised in a completely different way but still

Yeah, the gangsters were saying McNulty was on the take which means they weren't paying attention to the show.

In the show, I think the only example of a cop working with the gangsters was the FBI guy working with the Greek. It should have been way more common.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't remember if we ever find out specifically what Daniels was doing before the show started, but I was under the impression that it was heavily implied that he was doing that kind of thing

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In my experience (edit: not mine personally but everything Ive read about it), usually the most violent cops are the ones working with the bad guys

So Herc and Carver

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Herc and Carver are definitely skimming seized money in S1, but it's never really explored in the following seasons except for Daniels' history in the eastern district.

Show looks so good.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Don't forget that Herc and Carver created Fuzzy Dunlop in S2, and Herc was still using him in S4

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Nearing the end of the rewatch with my dad.

The absolute gall of McNulty to accuse Freamon of being a supervisor's nightmare.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s this thing in The Wire where it’s supposed to be this hyper-realistic presentation of reality but it also does that theatrical thing where things happen perfectly in sequence. Like, conversations start precisely when the previous one ends; people enter the scene at precisely the moment when they’re relevant. I liked a lot about the show but it’s hard for me to reconcile its naturalism with its stageiness.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

There’s this thing in The Wire where it’s supposed to be this hyper-realistic presentation of reality but it also does that theatrical thing where things happen perfectly in sequence. Like, conversations start precisely when the previous one ends; people enter the scene at precisely the moment when they’re relevant. I liked a lot about the show but it’s hard for me to reconcile its naturalism with its stageiness.

It’s not meant to be a hyper realistic presentation of reality tho

its a work of fiction carefully constructed to highlight specific issues and themes, not a work of journalism

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 17, 2022

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm inclined to give the show a pass on things like that just due to its size and scope. For a first and only time watcher enough might go over their head with out some liberties being taken.
:shrug:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

GoutPatrol posted:

The changes in technology over the course of the series is always interesting to think about, also because it ends right before the modern smartphone era. Would have really liked to see what a season would be like built upon when you start getting cheap smartphones out to people and how that changes the game.

I was rewatching the first episode of the series recently and couldn't fuckin handle the fact that they were doing paperwork on loving typewriters at the beginning of the series

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Mike N Eich posted:

I was rewatching the first episode of the series recently and couldn't fuckin handle the fact that they were doing paperwork on loving typewriters at the beginning of the series

I think it's the end of season 2 where they get introduced to texting.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

V-Men posted:

I think it's the end of season 2 where they get introduced to texting.

"My teenage daughter is crazy about it!"

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
S2 also had a scene with Ziggy explaining to his cousin Nick what an internet search is.

I remember doing a rewatch with a friend 10 years ago and during that scene he turned to me and asked "uhhh when was this made?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean the whole titular "wire" is all about those newfangled :airquote: burner phones :airquote:, right?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I mean the whole titular "wire" is all about those newfangled :airquote: burner phones :airquote:, right?

Nah burners only show up in season 3. As usual the police are way behind the curve of new technology.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ProperCoochie posted:

S2 also had a scene with Ziggy explaining to his cousin Nick what an internet search is.

I remember doing a rewatch with a friend 10 years ago and during that scene he turned to me and asked "uhhh when was this made?"

Legit can't decide if it's reasonable for a 2002-era Baltimore longshoreman to have no clue about the internet or digital cameras. I could see Ziggy being a couple years younger and so his high school class catches on while Nick missed it?

Data Graham posted:

I thought "wire" was just a general term for eavesdropping, or so I've been informed by crossword clues.

And while I'm talking about things I legit can't decide, when some character says "nobody's ever tried [selling pre-tapped burners]", if that's possibly true or if the show really wants us to think it's clever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The trick is that not only would you have to tap them but you’d have to ensure that your targets specifically buy those tapped burners. I can see that being difficult to arrange outside of fiction

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In the first season the drug dealers were using the still operating public pay phones in the projects which the cops needed to justify tapping since other people use them and poo poo.

They also had to crack the phone code they were using which had an analog component the cops couldn’t figure out til Prez got eyes on it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

christmas boots posted:

The trick is that not only would you have to tap them but you’d have to ensure that your targets specifically buy those tapped burners. I can see that being difficult to arrange outside of fiction

In the show it was a bit of a stretch. They set up a fake phone store... with what budget?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Didn't they just tap a bunch of phones and give them to the guy who ran the store? Knowing that the guy who always argues with his girlfriend was too lazy to get his phones from different shops, thus ensuring he'd bulk buy a load of tapped burners?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Count Roland posted:

In the show it was a bit of a stretch. They set up a fake phone store... with what budget?
$20 and “hey Jim why don’t you go get some dinner on us and come back in an hour and we’ll forget about that thing last week”?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

I was working in a hospital in 2006 and we all had to be trained on how to use a typewriter because certain medical records were still transcribed using them.

Government and NGOs often are way behind the times when it comes to technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It was pretty weird for me to see movies and shows in even like 2010 where characters were talking about texting like it was some new fad when I've been regularly sending text messages since 1997.