Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Obviously, it Aniq. He has clear motive and opportunity. Would be an interesting twist if it turns out it actually was just as the detective assumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think Lord and Miller are that mean-spirited in their storytelling and will probably get Aniq and Zoe together in the end but we’ll see

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought the latest episode of Servant was really good.

Yeah, this week's episode was very anxiety inducing (in a good way). The blocking during all those kitchen scenes was very, very good -- I know people praise the acting and writing on this show a lot, but I feel like it does a lot with its formal elements.

The slow invasion of the house this season has been absolutely fantastic (the cameras, the new locks, the bugs, the sudden influx of strangers after two seasons with just a cast of six or so people), as has been the season's pivot to start telling its story from Leanne's perspective.

Also Lauren Ambrose as Dorothy is so loving good. I have no idea how she keeps finding new shades of monstrous self-delusion to play, but she does (though it helps that we've never really seen the character during peacetime before). I do like moments when the show acknowledges that she's both the most and least capable of understanding what's happening to her, partly because it keeps her just the right side of unsympathetic, but partly because Ambrose just plays the shades to all of that so well.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, the latest Servant was hands down the best this season, but I can't put a finger on why

:v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this season wasn’t quite up to s2 before but it’s definitely getting there now. Excellent episode

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Afterparty speculation:

Got some "Xavier killed himself" vibes from the past couple episodes, dude just seems miserable when his mask comes off. That feels like a cop-out though and I'm not sure how you stretch that twist out for 3 more episodes. Probably a red herring.

I agree with others that it's probably Yasper. His HS Reunion expectations are way more delusional than anyone else's, he knows the layout of the house & how to access its systems, and we saw how manipulative he can be in the high school flashback. The only thing that kinda clears him right now is that text message, since Yasper has no motive to kill Xavier if he thinks working together is his ticket to fame... but then Danner mentions that there are websites you can use to send spoof texts from any number and that Xavier didn't have his phone on him when he died.

Really digging the show overall. Sam Richardson has been killing it lately, seems like he's in everything the past year.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Looking through upcoming Apple+ shows and I don’t know who reads these descriptions and thinks they want to watch this.

quote:

Ptolemy Grey is an ailing man forgotten by his family, by his friends, and by even himself. Suddenly left without his trusted caretaker and on the brink of sinking even deeper into a lonely dementia, Ptolemy is assigned to the care of orphaned teenager Robyn (Fishback). When they learn about a treatment that can restore Ptolemy’s dementia-addled memories, it begins a journey toward shocking truths about the past, present and future.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've said this before but they really need to get over the "inspiring heartwarming story" kick, especially since it's not even doing what that poo poo is designed to do and win awards.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

smackfu posted:

Looking through upcoming Apple+ shows and I don’t know who reads these descriptions and thinks they want to watch this.

I’m not sure if it’s better or worse than the true description:

quote:

This film stars Samuel L. Jackson.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/brettgoldstein/status/1493661592587804675?s=21

:3: Brett

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, Zoe is straight up insane.

Also Xavier is such a stupid douche that I'm glad he's dead.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Just when I was thinking Jenn 1 was the more obviously cruel Jenn, here comes Jenn 2 with the steel chair.

Other than that, I don't really know if there's something really new we learned about the night, although its good to see that Zoe is so much more weird than other people noticed.

Edit: Actually I have new thoughts after doing some late rewatching. While its possible Xavier's text was spoofed, I actually wonder if the text about track 12 was real... but maybe track 12 wasn't actually a was his revenge song Xavier'd been writing instead of their How Great Is This Party track.

Meanwhile, in Brett's episode, Jenn 2 is leaning next to the table right after Xavier's death is announced. In episode 1, that's right where Danner nearly slips on a puddle. I think Jenn's water broke.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 18, 2022

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think Afterparty would have worked better as a binge. Maybe I just have a lovely memory now but I just have a hard time keeping track of the changing versions of the reunion, especially with the flashback episode thrown in between.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sam Esmail is doing a Metropolis TV adaptation for Apple+.

Hopefully it's better than Foundation in terms of adapting a beloved sci-fi classic, but I trust Esmail, certainly more than the Foundation crew.

It's kind of surprising that Fritz Lang's work has not really been adapted or remade, although I guess you can say that Woman in the Moon, Spione, and M basically became the templates for the space opera, spy-fi, and noir genres.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like Servant's done this really cool thing, where it's resolved all its major mysteries in fairly straightforward ways, while also playing out a fairly out of left field heel turn in a way that feels inevitable. Still waiting for a dissicated Barbara Sukowa to rise up from out of the crawlspace.

Actually, this bug infestation thing has to be going somewhere crazy: my vote is a colony of worms reanimate a corpse.

I really love the way this season's been playing with our loyalties -- Dorothy is so horrible, but you can so clearly see her digging her own grave in that conversation about institutionalisation.

Also the Dunkin Donuts cliffhanger was some Atlanta level poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Servant is so loving sick omg

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
e: oh hey I'm a dumbass there's an actual thread for this show

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 16, 2022

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Escobarbarian posted:

Servant is so loving sick omg

It's gone from good to great here in the past few weeks. The slow burn of the first couple seasons is coming to fruition.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of Servant, did the most recent episode feel really short to anyone else?

Also I love that the show does a dedicated Dorothy episode every season, and this one was good, but IMO nowhere near the level of the other two. The 2 am episode from Season 2 is a loving high bar to clear though.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’m watching the first episode of WeCrashed, and while I’m enjoying it, it really shows the limits of prequels. No matter what happens in the show I know that the main character is going to lose most of his money, change his name and move to LA where he will use the last of his fortune to fund a movie he will write, direct and star in about how a good man is devastated when he finds out his fiancée Lisa has cheated on him with his good friend Mark. It really defuses the tension if I know where it all ends up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’m watching the first episode of WeCrashed, and while I’m enjoying it, it really shows the limits of prequels. No matter what happens in the show I know that the main character is going to lose most of his money, change his name and move to LA where he will use the last of his fortune to fund a movie he will write, direct and star in about how a good man is devastated when he finds out his fiancée Lisa has cheated on him with his good friend Mark. It really defuses the tension if I know where it all ends up.

The show's got some pretty slow pacing, do you reckon this season can catch up to that point in the timeline?

I dunno if they have the room.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Both The Dropout and WeCrashed are just too long, there isn't enough story there to drag them out over 8 episodes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I could never watch WeCrashed because gently caress fuckin’ Jared Leto

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is suspicion worth checking out?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I haven’t seen it yet but it’s on my list for when I’m caught up on Severance.

Also hyped that Tehran has its second season soon, the first ended super clunkily but there’s hopefully enough to build on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Servant finale was a little underwhelming considering how the last few episodes ramped up. They clearly knew they were getting renewed before writing it, because most of it feels like setup for the final season. But the final couple minutes…..:drat:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Escobarbarian posted:

Servant finale was a little underwhelming considering how the last few episodes ramped up. They clearly knew they were getting renewed before writing it, because most of it feels like setup for the final season. But the final couple minutes…..:drat:

was just gonna post something like this myself. I expected more from the finale but yeah those last couple of minutes...

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Kingtheninja posted:

Is suspicion worth checking out?

Goes on too long, can't maintain the tension, wet fart of a thoroughly unsatisfying ending. Felt like I'd wasted my time, which is saying something for a TV thread. And as for Suspicion...

Massively enjoying WeCrashed though. Delightful WeTrash. Hathaway as producer is clearly loving putting the boot into distaff-Neumann every chance she gets. The voice. The Jay Ay Pee. The sunglasses. The gives-up-at-the-first-hurdle-and-throws-everyone-under-the-bus-ness.The mrs-neumann-out-of-the-shot-please-ness. The microexpressions of bubbling rage and annoyance she squashes every time someone mentions, you know, *grits teeth* her... it has me wriggling with glee.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Welp. Looking forward to Servant doing its take on Hector Salamanca's bell drama only starring Dorothy. Equal doses of Hitchcock and camp, gonna be amazing.

Only Kindness posted:

Massively enjoying WeCrashed though. Delightful WeTrash. Hathaway as producer is clearly loving putting the boot into distaff-Neumann every chance she gets. The voice. The Jay Ay Pee. The sunglasses. The gives-up-at-the-first-hurdle-and-throws-everyone-under-the-bus-ness.The mrs-neumann-out-of-the-shot-please-ness. The microexpressions of bubbling rage and annoyance she squashes every time someone mentions, you know, *grits teeth* her... it has me wriggling with glee.

Look, my love of Anne Hathaway is overriding my dislike of Jared Leto.

And look, Leto is very good at playing up his lizard persona in this, to the point where he's genuinely really funny. His speech about "living for disruption" in episode one is really, really funny. Leveraging Leto to mock the poo poo out of this psychopath and people like him is just a fundamentally smart way of harnessing his talents, like when Brian Taylor employed Nicolas Cage in Mom and Dad.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Servant S4: Whatever Happened To Baby Jane Jericho Dorothy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

Goes on too long, can't maintain the tension, wet fart of a thoroughly unsatisfying ending. Felt like I'd wasted my time, which is saying something for a TV thread. And as for Suspicion...

I watched the first episode yesterday and this sounds about right, one of the most boring first episodes I've seen in a while. The core conceit of a dude is kidnapped by 4 people in New York and therefore the suspects are 3 British people with no clear connection killed it right out the gate, it's just too huge a leap of logic right away.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Loving Pachinko so far

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I found Servant to be slow as gently caress and couldn't finish season 1

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
SHA-LA LA-LA LA-LA
LIVE FOR TODAY

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched I think four or five episodes of Suspicion. I'd classify it as "okay." It gets better once Noah Emmerich gets more involved and all the suspects get together, but still not close to the better Apple shows. Though also far above Foundation.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Look, my love of Anne Hathaway is overriding my dislike of Jared Leto.

And look, Leto is very good at playing up his lizard persona in this, to the point where he's genuinely really funny. His speech about "living for disruption" in episode one is really, really funny. Leveraging Leto to mock the poo poo out of this psychopath and people like him is just a fundamentally smart way of harnessing his talents, like when Brian Taylor employed Nicolas Cage in Mom and Dad.

yes theyre both very good, which is badly needed because the show itself is told in the most obvious and straightforward way possible

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

2 and 3 are a huge step up especially as they play more into the camp elements and Lauren Ambrose starts really chewing the scenery

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Escobarbarian posted:

2 and 3 are a huge step up especially as they play more into the camp elements and Lauren Ambrose starts really chewing the scenery

I found season two to be the weakest of the bunch. Season three was great though. And the finale.....0_o

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

blue squares posted:

I just really appreciate how even for a half-hour serialized drama, each episode is a stand alone plot. There's a conflict introduced and resolved within the context of the larger story and that's vanishingly common these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Suspicion is the first two episodes of Utopia drug out to series length yet also less compelling as a premise.