Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A quick google has this on the first page:

So yeah the CHUDs are feeding on this despite having never given the slightest gently caress about women's swimming before and forgetting all about it in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I know that college sports are a big thing in America and all but do people actually care about college swimming? Swimming is afaik a sport people care about once every four years when the Summer Olympics come around.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I know that college sports are a big thing in America and all but do people actually care about college swimming? Swimming is afaik a sport people care about once every four years when the Summer Olympics come around.
They do not!

Well, not unless it can be used as a bludgeon against your enemies in a bullshit culture war then yeah its suddenly something you care deeply about.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

Lia Thomas. And yes, one of many reasons it's all just manufactured stupidity.

ok. I don't pay much attention to it since it is dumb and trans athletes should be able to participate for a variety of reasons and modern athletes are so many sigmas outside the norm it doesn't make that much of a difference (see: Phelps or any linebacker or basketball player, who are all absolute mutants) but I saw women sort of asymptomatically approaching 4:30 as technique and technology improve and then two crushing times that destroy it. and I was like "hmm". I value sport along the sort of dionysian "everyone together u
ooh-ra-ra" scale so that doesn't bother me but i wae like, wow, thats pretty crushing if it is repeatable.

so I googled it and it appeared to have no relevance to their (insane) argument.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ravenfood posted:

They do not!

Well, not unless it can be used as a bludgeon against your enemies in a bullshit culture war then yeah its suddenly something you care deeply about.
Basically no one cares about it in general, but I guarantee the people making the headlines about this care even less than everyone else. The people who circulate email chain letters about why the WNBA is unwatchable are now the defenders of the sanctity of women's sports.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It’s not just swimming to be fair. Nobody cares about ANY womens sports at any level.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

oldpainless posted:

It’s not just swimming to be fair. Nobody cares about ANY womens sports at any level.

I mean, if you ignore tennis and soccer this is true.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Well we ignore All of them is my point

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, if you ignore tennis and soccer this is true.

Women's soccer is mostly only popular in America, and only because they win world championships and our men's team really loving sucks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

oldpainless posted:

Well we ignore All of them is my point

That's why Serena Williams isn't famous. Oh, wait, she is and you're being an idiot on social media.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

That's why Serena Williams isn't famous. Oh, wait, she is and you're being an idiot on social media.

Tennis in general is kind of a weird one in terms of sport popularity, where people only really care about it when there's a big tournament going on, but since there's apparently six million annual tennis opens then it blips into the public interest at least a couple times a year depending on where you are.

But then you've also got the situation where if a woman is the top of a sport that doesn't get much public interest, then she can break through that. Venus and Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka, Simone Biles, Megan Rapinoe, you can break into public interest from a less watched sport, it just requires you to be among the best.

...and even if you are among the best, most of the public interest is probably going to be insults and criticism.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Tennis in general is kind of a weird one in terms of sport popularity, where people only really care about it when there's a big tournament going on, but since there's apparently six million annual tennis opens then it blips into the public interest at least a couple times a year depending on where you are.

Tennis is a weird one because it's pretty much the only sport where total take home including endorsements is higher for women. Women used to get less prize money for being lazy and only playing 3 sets but they get better sponsorship deals.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cleretic posted:

Tennis in general is kind of a weird one in terms of sport popularity, where people only really care about it when there's a big tournament going on

Yes, like with every individual sport. There aren't crowds gathering at stadiums to watch sprinters practice for their tournaments either.

What about WNBA, I thought that was a popular league.
Fake edit: My extensive research (reading the first paragraph of this article) suggests its audience is growing by double digit percentages annually.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Women’s basketball in general is growing popularity wise. Gymnastics has pretty fervent supporters even in non-Olympic years. But nobody watches swimming, even though lots of people have swum competitively at some point in their youth.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Tennis is a weird one because it's pretty much the only sport where total take home including endorsements is higher for women. Women used to get less prize money for being lazy and only playing 3 sets but they get better sponsorship deals.

Yeah, Djokovic showed he was an idiot rear end in a top hat long before the whole not getting vaccinated saga by constantly crying about female tennis players getting equal pay

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Lots of hostility here but that’s ok friend I forgive you.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Women's Aussie rules football is getting significant attention in Australia especially considering how little time it's been A Thing, which pleasantly surprised me considering the proportion of sexist fuckwits that inhabit this country. Still not getting paid enough to do it professionally so touch wood that'll get traction.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Women’s basketball in general is growing popularity wise. Gymnastics has pretty fervent supporters even in non-Olympic years. But nobody watches swimming, even though lots of people have swum competitively at some point in their youth.

That’s mainly because womens basketball is still pretty young as a professional endeavor.

They aren’t on the NBA level but the NBA wasn’t always like this either

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Breetai posted:

Women's Aussie rules football is getting significant attention in Australia especially considering how little time it's been A Thing, which pleasantly surprised me considering the proportion of sexist fuckwits that inhabit this country. Still not getting paid enough to do it professionally so touch wood that'll get traction.

Australians are a little bit nuts about any sport. Even American football gets some attention, I have some cousins who've played it. I really suspect sometimes, you put a sport in front of em and they'll watch it, and probably pick someone to cheer for within thirty seconds.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Skwirl posted:

Women's soccer is mostly only popular in America, and only because they win world championships and our men's team really loving sucks.

It’s shifted to caring about women’s soccer in America because some of them dared kneel during an anthem, so now people rush to congratulate the other team if they win or just to call them all traitors. So it’s exactly the same poo poo as this, really.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Skwirl posted:

I recently learned that women's soccer in England had become as or even more popular than men's soccer by the early 1920's. So the men banned women's soccer for fifty years.

Wikipedia posted:

Despite being more popular than some men's football events (one match saw a 53,000 strong crowd), women's football in England was halted in 1921 when The Football Association outlawed the playing of the game on Association members' pitches, on the grounds stating that "the game of football is quite unsuitable for females and ought not to be encouraged."

The ban was maintained by the FA for fifty years until 1971.

It was not until 2008 (87 years later), that the FA issued an apology for banning women from the game of football.

I wonder how popular women's soccer would be in England if the men hadn't been a bunch of dicks and set them back fifty years.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

jjack229 posted:

I recently learned that women's soccer in England had become as or even more popular than men's soccer by the early 1920's. So the men banned women's soccer for fifty years.

I wonder how popular women's soccer would be in England if the men hadn't been a bunch of dicks and set them back fifty years.

Englishmen being a bunch of dicks contributes to a lot of world history at this point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Including themselves for the last handful of years. Guess that's what happens when you run out of people to be assholes to.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Including themselves for the last handful of years. Guess that's what happens when you run out of people to be assholes to.

To be fair they were aiming for the polish, they just hosed themselves because they aren’t good at consequences

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/gilltaylor/status/1505405754710364166
Such small stupid people. Such smugness and moral superiority despite an existence entirely based on generations of barbaric genocide and intentional starving/exploitation of the global south.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

mind the walrus posted:

A quick google has this on the first page:

So yeah the CHUDs are feeding on this despite having never given the slightest gently caress about women's swimming before and forgetting all about it in a few months.

Idgi first they were angry because they said a trans woman would have some unfair advantage and would win races because of that. Now the trans woman has competed and not done well and they’re angry about that?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Weird heil to die on

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Scratch Monkey posted:

Idgi first they were angry because they said a trans woman would have some unfair advantage and would win races because of that. Now the trans woman has competed and not done well and they’re angry about that?

They're saying "the trans woman has a natural advantage and shouldn't compete, and that's why she did very very well in one competition this year" but also "this is a "political" issue and it's us versus them and we're going to take great joy in her failures because she represents all of leftdom."

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Ah the old fascist “our enemy is simultaneously overwhelmingly menacing and ridiculously inept” thing

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Exactly that. Concern trolling that inevitably gives way to out-and-out bullying and celebration of pain. It'd be more pathetic if it didn't run like a clockwork machine of eternally soft-pricked rage.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

Ah the old fascist “our enemy is simultaneously overwhelmingly menacing and ridiculously inept” thing

I remember the lead up to the US invading Iraq being about how the Iraq military represented a clear and present threat and then the gloating about how weak the Iraq military was when the US invaded.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Bigots were angry because they thought Lia had an unfair advantage against cis women. Lia pre transition was ranked 400 something among the men then wins a women's match. This gives them the impression Lia transitioned in part due to having weaker competition.

There was of course a notorious South Park episode a few years back and people are pointing to that episode and claiming this is where the future is headed in women's athletics. This fuels their slippery slope arguments so if you point out how rare trans athletes are they'll just act like this will inevitably be so common as to dominate these sports.

Sadly it isn't just transphobes coming out of the woodwork to suddenly care about the dignity of the sport. Though among people active in, say, women's swimming it is overwhelmingly either the parents of athletes or older adults who previously swam in HS/college who are critical of trans athletes. I haven't heard much direct criticism from the swimmers themselves, there was a controversial article about how the other members of the team are uncomfortable seeing/changing in front of Lia. This is kind of dubious for two reasons: one, the story came I think not directly from a teammate but from a 'friend' who spoke on their behalf. Two, I really doubt a trans athlete already facing enormous and humiliating amounts of scrutiny would go out of their way to give transphobes ammo.

The other ironic thing is that people will keep suggesting the other competitors just refuse to leave the starting block in protest, or refuse to attend, yet this doesn't seem to happen very much or fox news/Prager U would be singing it from the heavens. It's so unacceptable and yet nobody is doing anything about it, which must infuriate them to no end.

Also, seems like there could be an angle for whatever cis woman gets beaten by a trans competitor. So many people who think they were 'robbed' of a victory that if they really wanted they could easily play into the narrative by emphasizing how hard they trained and how disappointed they didn't win. Of course, this in itself contradicts the narrative in itself - how much of a tragedy is it for them to get second place when losing to a trans woman gets them more notoriety than winning against other cis women?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/Harpers/status/1505494105840828419

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Not widely, no. There is a solid enough following of college swimming fans that keeps it afloat, though

:v:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Press [F] to get erect

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Are men who are less invested in maintaining strict gender roles more likely to use available medication to treat an issue? Or are they just giant pussies? - Researchers

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Researchers """speculate""" that the data they've collected about boner pills somehow proves feminism "forfeits" masculinity. This is real science so you have to take us seriously.

It's either that they want to have fulfilling, mutually enjoyable sex with their partners OR... that their sociological beliefs are somehow physically making their bodies unable to get boners. One of the two!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hmmm yes correlation is always causation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Maybe they just want to have huge rock-hard boners? Why overthink it?