Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

SUNKOS posted:

Testament is a really nice surprise and gives me hope for Zappa finally returning in a future DLC pack. He's the character I miss most.

I have some questions about Street Fighter I was hoping someone could help me with please! The first is regarding the 30th Anniversary Collection and the two games I'm interested in purchasing it for are Alpha 3 and Third Strike. How are they? Are there any issues? I was excited as heck over the Darkstalkers collection announcement and read some mumblings about the Street Fighter Collection having some issues and Third Strike not being as good as the standalone Third Strike Online which was released for PS3/360 and has since been removed from the online stores. Are there a lot of problems with the collection or is it minor stuff?

I've been thinking about picking up Ultra Street Fighter IV again as well and I'm torn between getting the PS4/PS5 version or getting the backwards compatible Xbox 360 version. Again, this is because I remember reading that the PlayStation remaster has a lot of issues and the 360 version is still the best way to play? I have vague memories of people complaining that Sony forced the PS version for Evo over the 360 one which was still considered the best apparently so thought it worth asking here. I've got a PS5 and a Series X so can get whatever version, I just wanted to check here first since I don't know what the best option is right now.

3rd strike is fine, the weirdest thing with the 30th collection from what I remember is, even in friendly rooms, you both choose what game you wanna play before every match and if one of you misclicks or you don't both choose the same thing it flips a coin and just yeets you into the game

my experience is with the steam version btw so console stuff may vary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

The biggest online scene for Alpha and 3S is on Fightcade PC worldwide, including America.

System requirements are very low, if you have a windows PC in 2022 chances are it will run Fightcade.

I'm not sure about console numbers but 30th anniversary is really dead on PC because of this.

I also remember there being issues with 30th versions of those games not being 100% arcade accurate but those issues are most likely only visible to the top 1% of players

I think there are cool art pieces to unlock in 30th though?

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
absolutely play on fightcade if you have the means/if it at all appeals to you

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Fightcade is way better than the 30th anniversary ports in terms of playing other people and input latency. 3rd strike also has an excellent training mode lua plugin that is better than almost every other training mode that exists. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MG6Ly-HnXtigaUQS5BGT8Jkvvk9O8ibtCbsXIHcgYRI/edit

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I seem to remember 30th plopping you into the same stage over and over again because of how it loads a state on the character screen every time you rematch. I don’t remember if or how this can be circumvented or if it applies to online play, but I remember it being a problem for local play.

Also yeah it’s super dead online.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Big Scary Owl posted:

No Tekken 8 but there's an anime coming at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTc2xXcJFwU

This is loving rad, if this had debuted like 15 years ago I would have been stoked. As it is, I'm still happy about it tbh. Two things I have questions about : was that Leroy? And will they remember that Paul Phoenix actually did beat Ogre?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thank you! I'm moving away from Windows to Mac but a quick look at the Fightcade site shows it works on Mac as well which is great, so that seems like a much better way to play those games. A quick Google search says that Darkstalkers works on Fightcade as well which is an awesome surprise, as well thousands of other games it seems, so it'll be interesting to see if any old MAME favorites work on there or not, especially since Fightcade has a much nicer UI.

Glad I've passed on the 30th Collection. Would be frustrated buying Alpha 3 & Third Strike again only to have all those issues and no playerbase, which is something that has me concerned about the Darkstalkers Collection too since I have no issues buying it again considering it seems to be gauging interest in a new Darkstalkers game, but if it will have similar issues I'd regret getting it.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Gologle posted:

This is loving rad, if this had debuted like 15 years ago I would have been stoked. As it is, I'm still happy about it tbh. Two things I have questions about : was that Leroy? And will they remember that Paul Phoenix actually did beat Ogre?

The Leroy thing isn't that much of a retcon, the show seems to start in the period before T3, and then the bulk of the show will be T3's events. Leroy was introduced in 7 which is only like 2 years after T3, and it wasn't in a story capacity so they can just stay he came back from Hong Kong in T3 since they never specified a date and that lets him participate in that year's king of iron fist tourney.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 20, 2022

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Why yea I’d love to be fed more VF 5 DLC. Hope it packs more customization items and music like the last couple.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Just put like Miguel in VF. TIA, Harada.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Nazzadan posted:

The Leroy thing isn't that much of a retcon, the show seems to start in the period before T3, and then the bulk of the show will be T3's events. Leroy was introduced in 7 which is only like 2 years after T3, and it wasn't in a story capacity so they can just stay he came back from Hong Kong in T3 since they never specified a date and that lets him participate in that year's king of iron fist tourney.

does t4 take place 2 years after t3

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Big Scary Owl posted:

No Tekken 8 but there's an anime coming at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTc2xXcJFwU

It can't be any worse than the 2009 movie where Kazuya had a threesome with the Williams sisters and redid the plot so that he raped Jun instead of them actually being a brief item.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

skipmyseashells posted:

does t4 take place 2 years after t3

Ya Google says there's a 2 year gap between 3 and 4, and then 4 through 7 all take place within the same year-ish.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Thank you! I'm moving away from Windows to Mac but a quick look at the Fightcade site shows it works on Mac as well which is great, so that seems like a much better way to play those games. A quick Google search says that Darkstalkers works on Fightcade as well which is an awesome surprise, as well thousands of other games it seems, so it'll be interesting to see if any old MAME favorites work on there or not, especially since Fightcade has a much nicer UI.

Glad I've passed on the 30th Collection. Would be frustrated buying Alpha 3 & Third Strike again only to have all those issues and no playerbase, which is something that has me concerned about the Darkstalkers Collection too since I have no issues buying it again considering it seems to be gauging interest in a new Darkstalkers game, but if it will have similar issues I'd regret getting it.

Darkstalkers (VSAV2) even has a ranked scene on fightcade, my handsome merman made it to B-rank in his prime

edit: the newest games to just come out only a few months ago on Fightcade are Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Marvel vs. Capcom 2, CVS2 has a gigantic scene all day and there's always a handful of crazy marvel 2 guys (like me) in the lobby as well

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SUNKOS posted:

you can totally fightcade on mac no worries

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TulliusCicero posted:

I really want to see what this dev team could do with a Bridget update now tbh

My favourite suggestion for that is beefcake bridget but he still wears the nun outfit.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lord_Magmar posted:

My favourite suggestion for that is beefcake bridget but he still wears the nun outfit.

personally i'd rather bridget get to use she/her pronouns and not become even more of a lovely joke

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

A true practitioner of the famed Hokuto no Yoyo.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

flatluigi posted:

personally i'd rather bridget get to use she/her pronouns and not become even more of a lovely joke

Bridget is pretty insistent on being a boy though. The lovely joke is the "wait you're a boooyyyyyyy?!?!?!" stuff, not that Bridget is dressed like a nun as a boy.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole deal with Bridget is he was raised as a girl and a nun because of weird superstitions about twins/brothers. He doesn't mind the nun stuff but identifies as male. Yeah a quick check suggests that Bridget is out being a bounty hunter specifically to prove he's manly and not bad luck (the bad luck thing is the superstition about twins born the same gender).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 21, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like the best way for Bridget to appear in a new Guilty Gear is secretly. Have him finally reach a point of personal and bodily independence that he can make and own decisions about his presentation, and he does so to such a degree that we only piece together that it's Bridget a few months in.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The content creators will be churning out BRIDGET????? videos before that patch even releases, with mouth-agape faces and giant red arrows in the thumbnail. They are feral things.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah the in story explanation is Bridget's village has a superstition about having two kids of the same sex, so his parents secretly raised him as a girl which doesn't bother him. But that's just the meta story justification for a really feminine dude because it was the 2000s, and as a character Bridget's just a guy who's comfortably feminine. The only jokes I remember about Bridget's gender identity are at Johnny's expense, not Bridget's.

This is not the idle pose of a weak beta male terrified to wear a habit.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yes there's a lot of lore justification built into the fairly stock concept of ' "actually male" frequently mistaken for female' in bridget's whole deal, but it's still that stock concept. going 'well, bridget still wears a nun outfit, but now also is big and muscly' is just trading one stereotype for a different one (one that i got real tired about with the general fg community response to Ladiva)

i'm fine w/ the character deciding to present masculine but i'd also just prefer it if the devs leaned into the 'bridget is most comfortable presenting feminine' detail and made the character nb or trans? either's an improvement

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Oh yeah don't make Bridget super muscular, but honestly I'd prefer it if they just stick with Bridget as a dude who confidently wears skirts and poo poo. The story felt like it was borne out of a need justify something that didn't need it.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Redo Bridget but with King or Elizabeth's suit (because suit = manly, just look at Slayer), still keeping the Nun habit and dumb handcuffs, along with the Yo Yo trick bullshit.

Still play the 'guy who wants to be manly but still follows feminine due to tradition/preference' but give them an update to reflect their growth as a character and confidence in their ability as a bounty hunter since Vastedge.

Or just go all-in on the Nun outfit but everyone knows who they are so there's no surprise. "Yeah, that's just Bridget. You missed out on the whole 'Universal Will' thing. You ever find out what happened to your family?"

Either way, Bring Back Bridget you Arcsys Cowards. Also:

TGLT posted:

This is not the idle pose of a weak beta male terrified to wear a habit.

This animation stays. Update it, smooth it out, add in different pops and actiona for idle, but the funky dance has to be in there.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 21, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don't really see why it can't just be Bridget is a guy who likes yoyo based combat and dresses. I don't know his backstory but that seems perfectly fine design space in and of itself and different from testament who is NB.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

bridget can be a boy who likes to dress femme. that's allowed. if they wanna make bridget nb or trans thats cool but its fine if hes just a boy.

Lord_Magmar posted:

this is just a lovely joke though

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
bridget choosing to id as male and being femme is absolutely fine + what i wanted was mainly in the face of how lovely people have been about that and the character historically, especially since the core of the character was still 'forced to be this way since birth' and not 'is actively choosing to identify this way'

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5qI_RyXT0

Omega Rugal is free dlc for KOFXV

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

J.A.B.C. posted:

This animation stays. Update it, smooth it out, add in different pops and actiona for idle, but the funky dance has to be in there.

It’s up there with Twelve in terms of most iconic idle poses

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

I'm glad you suggested putting Bridget into a suit because I can see him really liking to dance and recontextualizing some of his attacks as variations on Disco or Latin American dance moves.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

He has an SNK Boss Challenge mode, and the trailer for it has a solid 5 seconds of him using 1-frame Genocide Cutter Counters back to back to back. He is back and busted.

Wonder if we'll get Mukai or Orochi, too.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I do prefer the normal Rugal Aesthetic (as in KoF 98 look, preferably with Disco Super), but this is pretty rad regardless.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Since it's specifically Omega Rugal my idea of Team Rugal with Mature and Vice is still possible right. :ohdear:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
This being Guilty Gear I'd be down for Bridget being reintroduced as a visual kei version of a priest.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

man nurse posted:

Why yea I’d love to be fed more VF 5 DLC. Hope it packs more customization items and music like the last couple.

hells yeah more vf5 stuff

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

2022 has been a pretty good year for fighting games, huh?

It's only March.
It is only March.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Brought To You By posted:

I'm glad you suggested putting Bridget into a suit because I can see him really liking to dance and recontextualizing some of his attacks as variations on Disco or Latin American dance moves.

Now I'm thinking of an updated Bridget having stance changes, but with different types of dances instead of stances

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

He looks really cool but I'm not feeling the GIANT PAULDRONS on his shoulders

Love the Genocide Cutter special effect tho! Slick as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014

J.A.B.C. posted:

He has an SNK Boss Challenge mode, and the trailer for it has a solid 5 seconds of him using 1-frame Genocide Cutter Counters back to back to back. He is back and busted.

Wonder if we'll get Mukai or Orochi, too.

Think we'll probably get most if not all the bosses...seems like too good a mode to let linger.