Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Anyone remember how small monitors used to be? Like usually 10" visible.

i honestly have no idea how i would even be productive programming on like a mac se/30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Anyone remember how small monitors used to be? Like usually 10" visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHQ4WCU1WQc

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

i honestly have no idea how i would even be productive programming on like a mac se/30

you’d be surprised just how zippy system 6 is on a 16MHz 68030, especially with 8MB or more RAM

you just need to actually use multiple overlapping windows instead of digging in your heels and insisting on tiling or keyboard equivalents or immediately zooming all windows to fullscreen

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
and if you install A/UX 2.0 you can upgrade that SE/30 to 128MB of RAM and actually use it when running Mac applications, at least those that both work with 32-bit addressing and run on System 6 (which included a lot of developer tools)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

eschaton posted:

you’d be surprised just how zippy system 6 is on a 16MHz 68030, especially with 8MB or more RAM

you just need to actually use multiple overlapping windows instead of digging in your heels and insisting on tiling or keyboard equivalents or immediately zooming all windows to fullscreen

"The os is pretty fast unless you try to use the whole screen" is one heck of a take.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

carry on then posted:

Ring binders full of documentation.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

sometimes their listed dimensions included the bezel, making that 15” screen more like 12

it was the actual size of the tube corner-to-corner, much of which was behind the bezel

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

carry on then posted:

You'd be super productive because it cant go online

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'd be super slow because swapping around tiny postage stamp windows would be the epitome of tedious

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

there's a reason macs of that era had a reputation as machines for creatives and education.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Volmarias posted:

"The os is pretty fast unless you try to use the whole screen" is one heck of a take.

with multiple overlapping windows you can actually use more than the whole screen

that’s the point

also the reason they’re still useful even in the era of 5K, 6K, and 8K displays

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You'd be super productive because it cant go online

except you could use TCP/IP over either LocalTalk or Ethernet from the SE/30’s release

I think the first IP stack for the Mac was developed in 1985-6 at Stanford and became the main way to do IP over LocalTalk

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
You could use a modem and connect to the "online" of the day. There are still dial in unix shell services out there, so with a terminal emulator, there's a way.

Not going to lie. I still use dial up for the hell of it sometimes. My parents have POTS service and I watch their cats when they vacation. I take my last dial up modem over there and dial in to BBS that are still up. Or at least I did. My parents got rid of their long distance the last time I used it.

Edit: My dad has free POTS dial tone for life at his address as an AT&T retiree. It was in the contract he started under back in... 1970 something.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

SYSV Fanfic posted:

You could use a modem and connect to the "online" of the day. There are still dial in unix shell services out there, so with a terminal emulator, there's a way.

or if you did have ARPAnet access through your university, employer, or whatever and they had some dialup endpoints (even, say, a modem on your lab’s minicomputer) you could use SLIP

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eschaton posted:

except you could use TCP/IP over either LocalTalk or Ethernet from the SE/30’s release

I think the first IP stack for the Mac was developed in 1985-6 at Stanford and became the main way to do IP over LocalTalk

yes I know it can get on Ethernet, using any sort of service you’d want to waste time on is another story.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

it just occurred to me that Dyson is the Tesla of things no one gives a poo poo about.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I take my last dial up modem over there and dial in to BBS that are still up. Or at least I did. My parents got rid of their long distance the last time I used it.

Edit: My dad has free POTS dial tone for life at his address as an AT&T retiree. It was in the contract he started under back in... 1970 something.

How does this work with the phone companies ripping out copper lines?

Thread content: the last time I was apartment hunting, I faxed in rental applications using my old USR 56k external connected through a Vonage connection. It took 45 minutes or so per page :allears:.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sure they’d give him whatever the current equivalent of POTS lines are

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

it just occurred to me that Dyson is the Tesla of things no one gives a poo poo about.

:hmmyes:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Thread content: the last time I was apartment hunting, I faxed in rental applications using my old USR 56k external connected through a Vonage connection. It took 45 minutes or so per page :allears:.

can’t imagine being at the same apartment for a quarter century, how much has the rent changed over the years?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

can’t imagine being at the same apartment for a quarter century, how much has the rent changed over the years?

ask redman, mtv cribs has visited him twice years apart and it's the same place both times.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

funy tech poo poo: dyson is the tesla of things no one gives a poo poo about

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Midjack posted:

ask redman, mtv cribs has visited him twice years apart and it's the same place both times.

:vince:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The house is one block away from the CO. They can't get uverse because it's too close, and AT&T doesn't sell faster internet out of the COs so resellers can't offer them. Here it's less they're ripping them out and more they're refusing start up service. When there aren't any clients left on a cable they cut the trunk off. My dad got the joy of malicious compliance when he tried to tell a new second level that the engineers were wrong, there were still 500 lines on this trunk. He was told to cut it and he did.

I asked him and he said he'd probably have trouble if he changed his address. My guess is they'd offer him an apology and a $500 check as a settlement for being unable to uphold the contract. He'd just transfer the number to a cellphone he left in the house probably.

There are still air blown, paper insulated cables in service. My dad is mostly doing air crew stuff while waiting for the paper work for a medical retirement. The phone company has some extremely long term contracts and obligations so they'll have to figure out a 100% compatible alternative - including power from the CO to stop using copper completely.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The house is one block away from the CO. They can't get uverse because it's too close,

I know copper DSL is distance limited and excludes many people that way, but this is the first case I’ve head of where someone is too close to get service :psyduck:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

he did upgrade a bunch of things between the first and second visit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNtKT9_1KXQ

mtv wanted him to rent some big mansion which is what most people on there apparently do. he said gently caress that come to my house.

i don't know if the revisit is still on youtube, but that's the og.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wait people rent mansions for mtv cribs? isn't the whole point that they actually live in the places being shown

yes yes i know one could also say "isn't the entire point of reality tv that it's real and unscripted?" and my naïveté is showing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't get the sense that celebrities really "live in" their houses anyway. they all have like 5 different houses, they're always traveling and staying in hotels on top of that, they buy and sell houses on whims, and even when they are at their main house they hire people to do everything from cooking to picking the furniture. it might as well just be another hotel suite.

and they're all indistinguishable from one another too. if you walked in the door of one of these places and someone asked "okay, is this drake's house, kylie jenner's house, or lebron james' house?" would you be able to figure it out?

nothing that suggests a unique human with personal tastes lives here.

lebron / drake / kylie

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah that's a fair point i guess

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i have way more respect for celebs who use their house just to enjoy some personal hobby and who cares what anyone thinks

like that dragonforce dude's massive pinball hall

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
actually that's not completely true, i have zero respect for notch's enormous twitter shutin jerk-off basement

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
notch is not a celebrity, he's just rich

who is celebrating that mf

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The_Franz posted:

I know copper DSL is distance limited and excludes many people that way, but this is the first case I’ve head of where someone is too close to get service :psyduck:

this happened to me years ago. I was close enough to the exchange that I was (copper) wired to it directly instead of a local cabinet and for some obscure UK reason, it was not allowed to put the new generation DSL hardware inside an exchange so I was stuck with an old sub 10mpbs connection.

the clearly very difficult to imagine idea of "just rewire me to a cabinet" was beyond BT, in the end I just moved house.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

this happened to me years ago. I was close enough to the exchange that I was (copper) wired to it directly instead of a local cabinet and for some obscure UK reason, it was not allowed to put the new generation DSL hardware inside an exchange so I was stuck with an old sub 10mpbs connection.

My heart tells me the "obscure UK reason" was AT&T had made the manufacture add a warning "for outside use only" to keep US telecom resellers from suing about the no CO thing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

tripod.com

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

but enough about my personal modeling site,

Mantle
May 15, 2004

teaching a person how to open a file with a double click when they were slow clicking

then teaching the same person to rename a file using slow click instead of double clicking

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mantle posted:

teaching a person how to open a file with a double click when they were slow clicking

then teaching the same person to rename a file using slow click instead of double clicking

i just tried to teach a 77 year old how to use aerosnap via a lovely remote connection. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I’m so fuckin happy that forcetouch died

no you press down hard but no not for a long tume thats a different thing altogether