Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zat posted:

You don't need to worry about us readers keeping up with the plot, so who cares if there's gaps. Just post whatever whenever you feel like it.

Yeah, we want to hear everything, but it's interesting to see what stands out for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Beefeater1980 posted:

Edit: actually screw it, this is the one scene I still remember in detail a decade + on. I still get a shiver down my spine when I remember ”You have INCOVENIENCED me.”.
For me it's the same with "It is not enough for me simply to kill you." Years and years later I still have emotions remembering Peter Jurasik's line reads in that scene.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

S04E04: :stonk: :drat: :yosnice:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't think I'll ever forget watching that one for the first time.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Rewatched to refresh my memory and holy gently caress I wasn't ready for that opener, I kinda forgot that happened

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Just ran across one of my favorite quotes again:

"It is a natural law. Physics tells us that for every action there must be an equal and opposite reaction. They hate us, we hate them, they hate us back. And so here we are -- victims of mathematics."
Ambassador Londo Mollari of the Centauri Republic
B5 S1E18

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have not posted in this thread for an incredibly long time. I seriously dug season 1 so, so much and my favourite character is Sinclair. There were all these story questions I had and ideas for the future episodes and I was so stoked.

I started season 2 and watched four episodes and I missed him so much. It was really tough for me. Sheridan is not the same character so none of my questions would be answered. He does not have the same relationships that a whole season had spent building up. I stopped watching and I am sad at that, but it has been so long that I am going to try again. I am going to watch those four season 2 episodes again and get back into the swing of all this - because I utterly adored season 1.

Thank you for reading my rambling.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I'd consider your short absence being just a traditional short break between seasons.
We're all looking forward to your impressions/reactions.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

VideoGames posted:

I have not posted in this thread for an incredibly long time. I seriously dug season 1 so, so much and my favourite character is Sinclair. There were all these story questions I had and ideas for the future episodes and I was so stoked.

I started season 2 and watched four episodes and I missed him so much. It was really tough for me. Sheridan is not the same character so none of my questions would be answered. He does not have the same relationships that a whole season had spent building up. I stopped watching and I am sad at that, but it has been so long that I am going to try again. I am going to watch those four season 2 episodes again and get back into the swing of all this - because I utterly adored season 1.

it's definitely worth it. I'm gonna spoiler that middle para tho bc (points to thread title)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

sebmojo posted:

it's definitely worth it. I'm gonna spoiler that middle para tho bc (points to thread title)

Whoops! I had thought everyone had long since jumped past me. Apologies to anyone caught out.

adhuin posted:

I'd consider your short absence being just a traditional short break between seasons.
We're all looking forward to your impressions/reactions.

Hah, it was more a two year break, checking when my write ups of all season one were.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Whoops! I had thought everyone had long since jumped past me. Apologies to anyone caught out.

Everyone has. But because this is a blind watch thread for a 25 year old show, new people can come in fresh at any time and so the spoiler policy has to be without time limit.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

VideoGames posted:

For what it’s worth, you will still get the answers to some of your questions.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jedit posted:

Everyone has. But because this is a blind watch thread for a 25 year old show, new people can come in fresh at any time and so the spoiler policy has to be without time limit.

I completely understand and I am sorry.

Chevy Slyme posted:

For what it’s worth, you will still get the answers to some of your questions.

This makes me feel a little better, so thank you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VideoGames posted:

Hah, it was more a two year break, checking when my write ups of all season one were.

There's no set schedule or pace. My viewing partner travels for work, so there are times that I go on "hiatus" from seeing new episodes for weeks on end.

I'm looking back at your old season 1 writeups (I'm currently on season 3), and it's fascinating that although we're both really digging the show, we tend to focus on different stuff. There are a lot of ways to enjoy B5, I think.

Oh, and you can add my voice to the chorus that's telling you it's absolutely worth it to continue season 2.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

There's no set schedule or pace. My viewing partner travels for work, so there are times that I go on "hiatus" from seeing new episodes for weeks on end.

I'm looking back at your old season 1 writeups (I'm currently on season 3), and it's fascinating that although we're both really digging the show, we tend to focus on different stuff. There are a lot of ways to enjoy B5, I think.

Oh, and you can add my voice to the chorus that's telling you it's absolutely worth it to continue season 2.

Absolutely agree. And this show delivers on almost all of its storyline promises. There’s one thread I can think of that gets set up in S1 and then dropped, but it’s a sideline and all the critical parts of that story get continued in a different way. There’s almost none of the big twists that shows like Lost or BSG dropped which were clearly invented on the spot: just about every twist is set up well in advance, to the point that several of them are more like “yeah, obviously” and thus don’t feel like a twist at all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Narsham posted:

There’s one thread I can think of that gets set up in S1 and then dropped

Which one are you thinking of? All that comes to mind for me is Bureau 13 from season 2.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Which one are you thinking of? All that comes to mind for me is Bureau 13 from season 2.

Do you want to take it to the regular thread?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

VideoGames posted:

I completely understand and I am sorry.

This makes me feel a little better, so thank you.

No worries at all!

Personally I think spoiler obsession universally lowers the quality of discourse without that much benefit in return, but I guess this thread is the exception that proves that rule because it's super fun to watch people taking the b5 rollercoaster completely blind...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

Do you want to take it to the regular thread?

Yes pleas

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

S04 in general (im watching episode 16):

- I really really don't like Garabaldi's arc. I don't like the fact that Bester hosed with his head and it was just ignored, and I don't like the fact that his personality has changed a lot as a result of either Aliens or Psy-Corp or that rich guy, and that is being ignored. It just really really messes with me. Guhhh.

- I feel like, before they hosed outta the galaxy, Voltron was holding them back before it died. I feel like Ambassador Voltron's faction held a lot of sway, and then it died and, whoops, the Extremely Strict Militaristic fucks were in charge ! Maybe it made a "Try your strategy and see if it fails or not, but we don't have full confidence in it" deal. Volty seemed to like humans, or at least be suuuper good at manipulating them, whereas his replacement was much more antagonistic and hostile.

- Sheridan! Oh, Sheridan, finally taking the fight to the home turf ! I was a little worried by the speeches but he's making sure everything is above board so?? Woo!

- Really really glad Delenn didn't die. Lenny, too (i dont know how to spell his name).

- Love Lyta's arc.

- gently caress offfff Bester. Also rude of the writers to make him vaguely sympathetic and then antagonistic again !

- Grats on making the Voltrons and Old Shady gently caress off

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I think Delenn's aide's name is spelled "Lennier".

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I forgot to mention these two characters

- G'Kar. Poor G'Kar :( But I'm superduper glad he's having fun with his new eye :)

- Super glad that Londo fixed poo poo. Go Vir for stabbing that extremely unstable emperor :)

While I hope that Londo and G'Kar can at least shake hands, I know that's pretty impossible and unlikely, and probably rude of me to not consider the full depth of G'Kar's torture.

Also, a slight retcon, when Londo visited G'Kar, he said he had never seen G'Kar's office. He did, when they shook hands, I thought? Although far be it from me to not be misremembering or it be intentional that Londo doesn't remember.

I feel like this show is really good at showing how interpersonal conflict bleeds into interpersonal conflict, and vice versa. I'm sad that the warrior dude. Nonon or something, died in the big laser beam :/ I liked that dude.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Midjack posted:

I think Delenn's aide's name is spelled "Lennier".

No I think he is definitely Lenny from now on

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

alexandriao posted:

- I really really don't like Garabaldi's arc. I don't like the fact that Bester hosed with his head and it was just ignored, and I don't like the fact that his personality has changed a lot as a result of either Aliens or Psy-Corp or that rich guy, and that is being ignored. It just really really messes with me. Guhhh.

I'm with you. It's good storytelling but as a Garibaldi lover it's real hard to watch.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Lenny, Voltron, Baldy, Delenn, Ivanova, Sheridan, Lyta, etc.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm with you. It's good storytelling but as a Garibaldi lover it's real hard to watch.

Honestly I'm not really sure that it is because they used a literal Deus Ex Machina to alter his character to make the plot thread work

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

alexandriao posted:

Oh yeah your names are fun, for sure. :cheerdoge:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
New thread mascot is Josh the Voltron

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

alexandriao posted:

I think the implication is that it only took a little tweaking to make Garibaldi change paths. All the way back in season 2, I think Garibaldi was distrustful of Sheridan, and he and Ivanova basically swapped their attitudes towards their CO after Sinclair left. It's still sad to see him just slash and burn everything he built up for the rest of the series though. Knowing what I do about Garibaldi's actor, I guess I'm more willing to believe that a lot of the resentment that powers Garibaldi was simmering just underneath the surface, and his other attitude was just waiting to slip out.

JMS did have ideas for one of the command staff turning traitor ever since the pilot movie where Takeshima was the one planned to turn eventually. JMS was pretty groundbreaking in how much story there was planned in advance, but it's also remarkable how flexible he was on top of those plans.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

alexandriao posted:

His full name is Leonard Robinson, his friends call him Lenny R.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Watching Thirdspace, I think i accidentally figured out the best place to put it, which is directly after season 4, episode 14. It relies on knowing events that happen in the episode directly before, but not in anything after. I grabbed it up at that point during my folks watch and it works so well

Its nice to see this storyline expanded on, but idk if it adds much to the story as a whole. I guess it had to be ripped out of season 4 because of the cancellation rumours?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I think if it was less rushed it could have been a lot better. I think that's what makes Babylon 5 stand out from a lot of other science fiction, it doesn't rush plotlines as much as contemporaries would or successors do

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

alexandriao posted:

Its nice to see this storyline expanded on, but idk if it adds much to the story as a whole. I guess it had to be ripped out of season 4 because of the cancellation rumours?

Spoilers for some behind the scenes goings on:

Thirdspace (along with In the Beginning) weren't planned when they were filming Season 4, but when TNT took on B5 for Season 5 after the cancellation they wanted some TV movies as well. ItB worked as an introduction for new viewers, and Thirdspace worked as a movie which didn't need intricate knowledge of the B5 arc.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Thirdspace is a nice little bottle episode that could fit in s4 but wouldn't when airing because all the episodes had to count. so it makes a great movie. chthulu in space is a good fit for b5. fanon rumors had them being the Hand fromlegend of the rangers
I'm glad that never happened since I like the idea of weird mysteries out there instead of pat stories. sometimes. the world needs both

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

alexandriao posted:

tell me again about the rabbits, marcus

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

S4E20: Oof, a lot in the last few episodes.

Glad Baldy got some kind of redemption and I'm incredibly glad for that. It's taken a weight off my feet. Because hooooly piss poo poo.

Did I say gently caress Bester? gently caress Bester and his rat rear end.

Incredible shame to see Ivanova gone :( One of the best characters in the show. Why did she leave? :ohdear:

Glad Sherry got out of the torture room :(

NICE use of the Telepaths!!!! gently caress yeahhhh.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lol at the episode/season number

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

alexandriao posted:

Incredible shame to see Ivanova gone :( One of the best characters in the show. Why did she leave? :ohdear:

Without going too deep into details...

The show was ended in season 4, so the actress went on to do other things. Then they got a surprise revival for season 5. But she was already doing other things.

The producers say she backed out.

She says she was fired before she even know the show was back.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

alexandriao posted:

S4E20: Oof, a lot in the last few episodes.

Glad Baldy got some kind of redemption and I'm incredibly glad for that. It's taken a weight off my feet. Because hooooly piss poo poo.

Did I say gently caress Bester? gently caress Bester and his rat rear end.

Glad Sherry got out of the torture room :(

NICE use of the Telepaths!!!! gently caress yeahhhh.

Ivanova: allegedly a contract dispute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

CainFortea posted:

Without going too deep into details...

The show was ended in season 4, so the actress went on to do other things. Then they got a surprise revival for season 5. But she was already doing other things.

The producers say she backed out.

She says she was fired before she even know the show was back.

The most recent explanation seems to have been both side's agents playing contract chicken without actually talking to their clients until it was too late