Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

wesleywillis posted:

Am I reading that right and theiy're only giving 50 dollar credits for the stuff thats not included at the time?

I wonder if those things, once installed will be only covered by whatever is left of the factory warranty, or the full 3 years, 36,000 for (only) the items that were installed later.

Correct. The first 2 items will never be installed. Only the 3rd one which says later retrofit will ever get installed (maybe). That car will never get the 4 way lumbar or steering wheel lock, at least that's the way I understand it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KillHour posted:

News to me - BMW didn't offer to do anything about adding it. I suppose I could ask.

No, that's what GM is doing. Dunno re: bmw.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil posted:

Just curious how to think about our next car purchase.

Our current car in question is a 2017 Macan (purchased new in 2016) that's coming up on 6 years old, 133k miles. This car was a hand me down from my wife to me, and we're both driving significantly less now, so we're probably only putting 10-15k miles/year on it now. The car has been fairly reliable, with the only oddball thing being a turbo that had to be replaced twice (under warranty). Otherwise, we've just kept up on the regular maintenance schedule.

I was thinking about at least considering replacing the car next year (2023) when it'll have closer to 150k miles on it, but I'm wondering if that means I should start thinking about that car now, knowing it may be a year before whatever we get comes in. Am I crazy for thinking about that now, in early 2022? I'm beginning to think this current car supply situation is going to stretch in to next year.

If that new car is going to be a new Porsche there may be a significant delay until a build allocation is available, depending on model. So in that case yes it would probably not be a bad idea to speak to the dealer.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

https://twitter.com/JosephPolitano/status/1505658168894009344?s=20&t=dzmjq121vSyoDeZBQyeVhw

If you look at the second graph, thing are finally starting to improve. Who knows how long it'll take, this is bad as it's going to get it but if you have a car you're trying to sell now is the time.

As far as 3 row SUVs and minivans go, it feels like it's worse now than it was late last year.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Correct. The first 2 items will never be installed. Only the 3rd one which says later retrofit will ever get installed (maybe). That car will never get the 4 way lumbar or steering wheel lock, at least that's the way I understand it right now.

Looking forward to paying $50,000 for a new Toyota Corolla with no air conditioning, manual seats, roll up windows and manual locks in five years :homebrew:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Looking forward to paying $50,000 for a new Toyota Corolla with no air conditioning, manual seats, roll up windows and manual locks in five years :homebrew:

Corolla GR, you see it’s it’s weight reduction.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Hadlock posted:

At least you know that it'll last you 20 years....

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I'm seeing this "SmartPath' process available with certain Toyota dealerships (for example this NYC area one), which claims to make the entire car purchase process online:

quote:

SmartPath lets you do as much online (or as little) as you like. Unlike some other outdated car shopping sites, we show you all the actual inventory on the dealer’s lot, with current pricing, so you’ll never miss out on a great deal.
Share your selections with the dealer, then determine how you’d like to finalize your purchase: in person or online.
This seems like an improvement over the process where you show up in person and the dealer tries various tricks to inflate the total cost. Guessing there's a catch or disadvantage of some sort, does anyone know or have had experience with this type of purchase process?

There seem to be some good NYC area brokers which might also help circumvent the standard in-person purchase process too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

There seem to be some good NYC area brokers which might also help circumvent the standard in-person purchase process too.

I went through one of these and the only contact I had with the dealer was when I went to pick up the car. I gave them a credit card for the taxes due at signing and they handed me the keys.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nocturtle posted:

I'm seeing this "SmartPath' process available with certain Toyota dealerships (for example this NYC area one), which claims to make the entire car purchase process online:

This seems like an improvement over the process where you show up in person and the dealer tries various tricks to inflate the total cost. Guessing there's a catch or disadvantage of some sort, does anyone know or have had experience with this type of purchase process?

I found a problem

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

this isn't normal, right? $1k extra on a used car for "accessories" that came with the car from the factory?

i sorta wanted this car at their listed price, but drat. (ignore the financing numbers, I'm getting ~2.5% from my credit union)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They scotch guarded it and put a LoJack in it so the bank can repo it easier if you don’t make payments, those things didn’t come with it from the factory.

$75 for “tech package” is probably a cigarette lighter USB charger.

$699 “doc fee” is on the high side also.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

this isn't normal, right? $1k extra on a used car for "accessories" that came with the car from the factory?

i sorta wanted this car at their listed price, but drat. (ignore the financing numbers, I'm getting ~2.5% from my credit union)

Just what are these accessories? They may be charging you for a GPS tracker.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

The "accessories" almost certainly didn't come from the factory. It's likely to be a $60 cheap chinese "alarm system" that was hacked in by a methhead at the dealership causing massive wiring harness damage. Bonus that it almost definitely is cellular so they can track your car via GPS and even make it so it won't start so it's easier for their repo guys if you stop paying.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
oh that's what LoJack is... that's dumb, I'm not even going through their financing. still waiting on a response from the dealer on what the other poo poo is

i assumed the tech package was referring to the Hyundai tech package that it has (leather seats, panoramic sunroof, premium stereo, etc) since that's what Hyundai calls it, but that $75 fee makes more sense if it's something like that

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
where's the actual monroney?

edit oh wait used car, yeah. not normal and probably actively harmful poo poo like offbrand lo-jack.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

$699 “doc fee” is on the high side also.

I'd bet it's at or $1 below the legal maximum for their area.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
The accessories are itemized at the bottom of the page.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lol they billed you for detailing the car instead of eating it as a business expense

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Lol they billed you for detailing the car instead of eating it as a business expense

yeah I'm not buying from them even though i do want that car. scumbags

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Deteriorata posted:

Just what are these accessories? They may be charging you for a GPS tracker.

It's in the fine print at the bottom lol. They're all laughable.

Hadlock posted:

This is extremely common. I can't remember years later but I think they refused to remove that line item on my used car also. It was like a $300 detailing fee.

I was close to walking away but the out-the-door price that I hammered them to get was competitive so I still took it. Classic capitalist win-win scenario.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 24, 2022

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for the replies.

bird with big dick posted:

I found a problem

Haha yes that's a problem. Apparently dealers just can't help themselves.

KillHour posted:

I went through one of these and the only contact I had with the dealer was when I went to pick up the car. I gave them a credit card for the taxes due at signing and they handed me the keys.
Definitely looking like the way to go, thanks.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Here’s a weird, blessed conundrum I have: do I take a 7yr @ 3.7% unsecured loan or wait up to 10 months to get a ??% @ 5yr secured loan.

• I am fully approved through Lightstream for the unsecured Right Now. I’ll take the longest terms I could get because I’m relying on inflation to devalue my debt; I’m strongly cashflow positive, the choice of longer terms is intentional.
  • If I took the unsecured loan right now, I’d be making payments on the debt before actually spending any of the principal. This isn’t really a problem. I can just throw the money in a savings account.
  • It looks like standard, non-promotional manufacturer financing is around 2.5% right now.
  • It appears that the Fed is going to raise rates at least a little (1%), maybe a lot (2%) in the next 10 months.
  • I’m unable to get a secured auto loan until I actually have an auto to secure it against. By the time I have a vehicle to loan against, non-promo rates might hit 4-5%!

What would y’all do? I’m definitely leaning towards the unsecured loan. It’s an interesting financing decision regardless.

DNK fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 25, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

People here will tell you not to base decisions now about the future, but looking at what's been happening I can't imagine (and this is just a wild-rear end-guess) that inflation will drop below 3.7% any time soon and the unsecured loan is looking pretty good. In the before times when inflation was 1.8-2.1% I'd say pay it off sooner but the CPI is going to get higher before it levels off and it's already at 7.5%. My car has retained 100% of it's cash value since we bought it, and we've put ~15k miles on it and it's a luxobarge that historically deeply depreciates

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Cars are loving stupid.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shine posted:

Cars are loving stupid.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cool and fun cars are the good kind of stupid though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Not a thread regular, but can we put something in the OP about the car buying services (Carmax, etc)? I feel like I've been directing people from AI / the regional forum to this thread a bit lately for help getting their car sold and that might be helpful. Also every experience with Vroom I can find seems very negative.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wish someone in November had told me Vroom was awful, yeah. The more we get that word out, the better.

I got my front license plate holder installed at a local dealership today, along with having four (minor) recall services from the last three years done, and fixed a front lane assist sensor fault thing under warranty, all poo poo a real in-state dealership probably would have done before selling the car in the first place; I think this concludes the last of my lingering business with Vroom's criminal incompetence and shittiness, and I can hopefully wash my hands of them forever. However I have no doubt they'll send me an email in three months asking for more paperwork for the registration they already completed, because that's just how they do. They did not respond to the BBB complaint I filed in Texas, naturally. Their rating is an F. Have you ever seen a BBB rating of F?
https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/stafford/profile/used-car-dealers/vroom-0915-90044633

4,458 Customer Complaints

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

all poo poo a real in-state dealership probably would have done before selling the car in the first place;

This is systemic, but a dealer get warranty reimbursement for doing that poo poo, so of course they will for anything on their used lot. It's not a motivation for buy-a-car-with-an-app places.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Have any businesses in the last 50 years actually given a gently caress about BBB ratings?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No but only because Google has replaced them. They care a lot about those.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Have any businesses in the last 50 years actually given a gently caress about BBB ratings?

Yeah that's why I didn't even think to look at that rating before buying from Vroom.

I didn't even think to look at online ratings either, though, and that's on me. Friends had a good experience from Carvana and I made the dumb leap to thinking all these car delivery sites were doing the Lord's work of undermining the ridiculous entrenched collusive anticompetitive interstate dealership network bullshit while simultaneously and laudably not being Tesla, and therefore, cool and good. Didn't occur to me to think "hmm well just because Carvana was good for my friends that doesn't mean every other company is also on the ball."

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that's why I didn't even think to look at that rating before buying from Vroom.

I didn't even think to look at online ratings either, though, and that's on me. Friends had a good experience from Carvana and I made the dumb leap to thinking all these car delivery sites were doing the Lord's work of undermining the ridiculous entrenched collusive anticompetitive interstate dealership network bullshit while simultaneously and laudably not being Tesla, and therefore, cool and good. Didn't occur to me to think "hmm well just because Carvana was good for my friends that doesn't mean every other company is also on the ball."

Well thank you for sharing your experience. I will steer people away from Vroom if I'm in that position again.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Oh wow nevermind. Not a great time to try to buy a hybrid.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 28, 2022

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Nocturtle posted:

Oh wow nevermind. Not a great time to try to buy a hybrid car.

FYP

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Friend of mine impulse-bought a 2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy about a year ago year and has only put 6k miles on it.

He's bitching that fuel efficiency is atrocious and wants to switch out to something better, ideally a Hybrid.

I know the market is dumb right now, but from what he tells me he'd be ok going carless for a 2-3 months since he's mostly WFH and in a big metro area so he can use public transportation or Uber as needed.

Would it make sense in this market for him walk into a dealership and try offer to trade-in the Santa Fe for a new car that might be delivered somewhere down the line? To me it seems like a barely used Santa Fe with immediate availability is something valuable enough that a dealer would be incentivized to slash the price of a new car. Or is the market too hosed for even that and he should just keep the Santa Fe until things calm down?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There is no way someone who mostly works from home and drive 6k miles a year is going to make up the transaction costs of getting a more fuel efficient car within the reasonable lifetime of that more fuel efficient car.

So the whole idea is dumb. Not just in todays car buying market. It's always been a dumb idea.

You should suggest to your friend that they do some basic math for a few minutes.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If he wants to sell the car, potentially for about what he paid for it, and go carless for an extended period of time (1yr+), it could make sense to get rid of it right now while the market is tight. But that's a bit different than what you've suggested.

If he's just going to immediately get into something else it's dumb and doesn't pencil out in cost savings at all.

He might just be trying to rationalize wanting a different car, which is fine, but he should admit it and stop coming up with bad math to justify decisions under false pretenses.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

He might just be trying to rationalize wanting a different car, which is fine, but he should admit it and stop coming up with bad math to justify decisions under false pretenses.

It is 100% this. He bought the Santa Fe and doesn't like it. He likes the gadgets and wants something in the SUV category, but doesn't like the Santa Fe, specifically.

To be fair to him, he just switched from a 70+ hour a week job to closer to 40 and actually has time to use the car now. Plus this job is outside of the city and he'll start driving more once they go back to in-person, but that won't happen until Q3, at the earliest, so the timing works out.

Edit: ok so in conclusion there's no clear advantage to trading in a good car right now, vs doing it 1 year down the line.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 28, 2022