Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1506284565521854464

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1506646974715478017

Seems like they still need to work out some kinks with the city placements and/or names.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ThaumPenguin posted:

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1506646974715478017

Seems like they still need to work out some kinks with the city placements and/or names.
Akita is a Japanese dog
Another Japanese dog is a shiba inu
A shiba inu is the mascot of doge coin
Dogecoin is a crypto currency

Victoria III will feature a crypto miner.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
the map is looking pretty good in recent screenshots I think

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah that could be a screenshot from like previous-gen total war game.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1507039791241519106?s=20&t=agh04GgQH2cdDV-wclHgng

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Norway made much of its 19th century wealth transporting goods overseas on behalf of other countries, notably Britain, whose liberalization reforms allowed non-British ships to not only transport goods in and out of the country, but also within it. I wonder if something like that would be possible to model in this system.

e: For those wondering, members of a community would come together and construct individual ships, each of which was owned by the people involved (though I'm not entirely clear on whether this meant the crew {who were also local}, or just the builders, it probably varied). This meant that Norway ended up with a huge yet extremely decentralized merchant fleet that by nature of its ownership spread its wealth fairly widely, rather than just ending up in the hands of a few shipping tycoons. This all came to an end with the rise of metal ships, as those are quite a bit harder to make with just the materials you happen to have access to in your fishing village.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 24, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I wonder about trade routes always forming between the closest ports.

Would this result in the massive overexpansion of a bare handful of ports in a given country, those closest to your biggest colonies and/or trade partners? Not only centralizing port development rather myopically, but creating great single targets for blockades and attack?

This also seems to ignore the land infrastructure within countries. Take the shown example of the British importing fabric from the American market, through Maine. If the fabric is produced in southern states, but there is less than ideal infrastructure between those states and the American market center, but better infrastructure connections to a different port, like Charleston, how is that factored in and does it effect the route efficiency at all?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Norway made much of its 19th century wealth transporting goods overseas on behalf of other countries, notably Britain, whose liberalization reforms allowed non-British ships to not only transport goods in and out of the country, but also within it. I wonder if something like that would be possible to model in this system.

e: For those wondering, members of a community would come together and construct individual ships, each of which was owned by the people involved (though I'm not entirely clear on whether this meant the crew {who were also local}, or just the builders, it probably varied). This meant that Norway ended up with a huge yet extremely decentralized merchant fleet that by nature of its ownership spread its wealth fairly widely, rather than just ending up in the hands of a few shipping tycoons. This all came to an end with the rise of metal ships, as those are quite a bit harder to make with just the materials you happen to have access to in your fishing village.

That feels like it could be modeled fairly easy by allowing countries to sell excess convoys on the market?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

That feels like it could be modeled fairly easy by allowing countries to sell excess convoys on the market?

Yeah that could work. Convoys are generated by ports, which use clippers for upkeep. So in Norway's case there would be extensive (for the lack of a more appropriate in-game option) "worker-owned" clipper yards producing clippers for the government-owned ports (doesn't really fit with IRL, but oh well), which themselves produce a disproportionate amount of Convoys, most of which are leased to countries with the appropriate liberal policies. Yeah, yeah that could actually work!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Yeah, so long as the mechanic is “ports buy clippers from the national market or from trade partners”, then Norway offering shipping would be modeled by Norway selling clippers to trade partners.

Now one related question would be how widely clippers can be sold. My understanding is that there is no longer a “world market” that sells goods not purchased on the national market. Instead you have the national market and trade partners only. So there’s no great way to represent Norway selling shipping to everyone, globally.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah, so long as the mechanic is “ports buy clippers from the national market or from trade partners”, then Norway offering shipping would be modeled by Norway selling clippers to trade partners.

Now one related question would be how widely clippers can be sold. My understanding is that there is no longer a “world market” that sells goods not purchased on the national market. Instead you have the national market and trade partners only. So there’s no great way to represent Norway selling shipping to everyone, globally.

Well Norway didn't. Maybe they would have taken the offer if they got it, but there weren't a lot of norwegians making regular runs between say, Nagasaki, Shanghai, and San Francisco.

The markets thing makes perfect sense. A british capitalist has way more interest in norwegian shipping than a San Francisco capitalist.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 24, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Arrath posted:

I wonder about trade routes always forming between the closest ports.

Would this result in the massive overexpansion of a bare handful of ports in a given country, those closest to your biggest colonies and/or trade partners? Not only centralizing port development rather myopically, but creating great single targets for blockades and attack?

This also seems to ignore the land infrastructure within countries. Take the shown example of the British importing fabric from the American market, through Maine. If the fabric is produced in southern states, but there is less than ideal infrastructure between those states and the American market center, but better infrastructure connections to a different port, like Charleston, how is that factored in and does it effect the route efficiency at all?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Or the example of all Indian trade to Britain going through Bombay. Think it would make more sense if the pathfinding calculation for sea routes also included the cost of the adjoining land transit. So from eastern India you would be more likely to flow through Calcutta, and on the far west you'd go through Karachi or gwadar or something

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ThaumPenguin posted:

I recall Norway having a significant merchant marine still at the start of WW2 which then mostly joined the British no?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
still irrationally irritated by the use of "clippers" and "convoys" as general terms rather than specific ones

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

I recall Norway having a significant merchant marine still at the start of WW2 which then mostly joined the British no?

Yes, Norway as a country successfully pivoted to metal ships, but many of the individuals involved did not. The spread of metal shipbuilding saw the fall of the old decentralized model in favor of centralized shipyards owned by capitalists who were both wealthy enough to shoulder the initial investment costs, and willing to admit that wooden ships were on the way out.
For an example of the latter, the town of Arendal was a nexus for traditional wooden shipbuilding, but the shipyard owners there were too deeply invested in their increasingly obsolescent practices to let go before it was too late. In the neighboring rival town of Kristiansand, there had not been large-scale shipyards, and as a result the capitalists there were able to profit off of Arendal's hesitance by beating them to the punch, starting up shiny modern shipyards and pumping our steel steamers while the Arendalese were still weaving sails. They never regained their former regional economic prominence.

For Norway as a whole, this transition was a necessity to keep up the shipping economy, and by the time of World War 2, the Norwegian merchant fleet was the fourth or even third largest of its kind on the planet. But a change that is good for the country is not necessarily good for everyone within it.

One of the things I find very promising in Victoria 3 is the way the technology system is designed to cause situations like this, where tech can be genuinely socially disruptive, to the point where players might dread implementing them in certain places.

Note: Arendal vs Kristiansand make for a good case study of the more painful aspects of technological transition, but it doesn't really apply as an example of the small-scale decentralized shipbuilding I mentioned earlier. The Arendalese were wealthy capitalists through-and-through, they were just too entrenched.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 25, 2022

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yes, Norway as a country successfully pivoted to metal ships, but many of the individuals involved did not. The spread of metal shipbuilding saw the fall of the old decentralized model in favor of centralized shipyards owned by capitalists who were both wealthy enough to shoulder the initial investment costs, and willing to admit that wooden ships were on the way out.
For an example of the latter, the town of Arendal was a nexus for traditional wooden shipbuilding, but the shipyard owners there were too deeply invested in their increasingly obsolescent practices to let go before it was too late. In the neighboring rival town of Kristiansand, there had not been large-scale shipyards, and as a result the capitalists there were able to profit off of Arendal's hesitance by beating them to the punch, starting up shiny modern shipyards and pumping our steel steamers while the Arendalese were still weaving sails. They never regained their former regional economic prominence.

For Norway as a whole, this transition was a necessity to keep up the shipping economy, and by the time of World War 2, the Norwegian merchant fleet was the fourth or even third largest of its kind on the planet. But a change that is good for the country is not necessarily good for everyone within it.

One of the things I find very promising in Victoria 3 is the way the technology system is designed to cause situations like this, where tech can be genuinely socially disruptive, to the point where players might dread implementing them in certain places.

Note: Arendal vs Kristiansand make for a good case study of the more painful aspects of technological transition, but it doesn't really apply as an example of the small-scale decentralized shipbuilding I mentioned earlier. The Arendalese were wealthy capitalists through-and-through, they were just too entrenched.

Fascinating! Thanks for the :words: It's erudite posts like these that keep me coming back to SA.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

I don't recall, have they mentioned anything about the mechanics encouraging conservatism among long-running industries? Like in this example, or how Britain kinda slept on its laurels and let other countries run away with new hi-tech industries, like German chemical engineering?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Fascinating! Thanks for the :words: It's erudite posts like these that keep me coming back to SA.

Glad to hear it! :tipshat:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't recall, have they mentioned anything about the mechanics encouraging conservatism among long-running industries? Like in this example, or how Britain kinda slept on its laurels and let other countries run away with new hi-tech industries, like German chemical engineering?

I'm quite sure I remember them mentioning it, but I can't seem to find it in the Technology dev diary, maybe it was in one of the teaser tweets?

It had to do with buildings and production methods, and how changing them could be disruptive (ex improved automation leads to fewer workers required, causing unemployment and discontent), but it's been long enough that it's all quite vague, and not necessarily directly related.

I certainly would love to see the game model the benefits of being an industrial latecomer! :hundi:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I vaguely recall some sort of training bonus for pops? So pops that work at something for a long time may get small bonuses? But maybe that was one of the ideas we in the peanut gallery tossed out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Capfalcon posted:

I vaguely recall some sort of training bonus for pops? So pops that work at something for a long time may get small bonuses? But maybe that was one of the ideas we in the peanut gallery tossed out.

There might be something related to qualifications here. If you have a mature industry you'll likely have a lot of qualified pops for it, while trying to bootstrap a new one involves a very slow trickle of pops being trained for it. If you're not the first nation to develop that industry though, you can lure in immigrants who already have the appropriate qualifications, so there is an advantage to letting someone else eat the cost of being first, while you ride your more developed industries, until enough of a qualified labour pool exists that setting up the new industry would no longer be so difficult

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There might be something related to qualifications here. If you have a mature industry you'll likely have a lot of qualified pops for it, while trying to bootstrap a new one involves a very slow trickle of pops being trained for it. If you're not the first nation to develop that industry though, you can lure in immigrants who already have the appropriate qualifications, so there is an advantage to letting someone else eat the cost of being first, while you ride your more developed industries, until enough of a qualified labour pool exists that setting up the new industry would no longer be so difficult

Assuming you have a leg up on quality of life and other metrics that will help encourage those pops to emigrate, I imagine?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

Assuming you have a leg up on quality of life and other metrics that will help encourage those pops to emigrate, I imagine?

Yeah, it seems likely that a downside to this approach (alongside losing the tech advantage of being the first nation in the world to produce a new good) is that you would need to offer enough of an incentive for those pops to leave their current home and come to your country. I don't know what options are going to be available for that, but presumably there is going to be some way to subsidize industries that would allow them to pay out higher wages to entice qualified pops to immigrate.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Quality of life or whatever it's called is I think the biggest factor in drawing immigrants. Presumably political freedom will be a draw too though. 'Leave your autocratic homeland to work yourself literally to death in OUR factories and we promise we (probably) won't shoot you for voting wrong'

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, it seems likely that a downside to this approach (alongside losing the tech advantage of being the first nation in the world to produce a new good) is that you would need to offer enough of an incentive for those pops to leave their current home and come to your country. I don't know what options are going to be available for that, but presumably there is going to be some way to subsidize industries that would allow them to pay out higher wages to entice qualified pops to immigrate.

Agitating some giant pre-world war (while staying on the sidelines somehow) that tanks the standard of living in those advanced great powers so you can poach their workers!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This seems not super historical, and also the opposite of what you want. There's nothing stopping the country that originally developed that workforce from shifting their entire industry to a new more profitable one, and in fact it'd probably be much easier than trying to attract all their workers. Which would

Something as simple as the factory itself getting bonuses to efficiency and throughput over time*, to indicate institutional improvements, would be enough to encourage conservatism among capitalists. The old factory might not have as high potential profits as a fully developed new factory, but the bonuses could be large enough that the old one outcompetes the new base level factory. It wouldn't make them stick to an unprofitable industry, but it would put a dampener on potential market swings if capitalists were encouraged to not switch so easily. By doing, so up-and-coming powers would have free niches to develop, which would encourage differentiation between industrial powers with all the trade implications that has.

*and if possible, cheaper transportation costs to indicate the entire supply chain also being made more efficient

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

*and if possible, cheaper transportation costs to indicate the entire supply chain also being made more efficient

I like this thought. Abstracting things like older and consistently profitable factories doing things like paving the roads or building spur lines off the state railways and increasing market access over time giving them an incumbent advantage versus newcomers.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1508806181699026944

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I hope this means that peasants can rise up and burn down the local manor

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
An interesting post from KaiserJohan about how rebels work in V3

KaiserJohan posted:

Revols or Secessions are different now as they trigger a special kind of Diplomatic Play, allowing an international response on either side. Suppressing German socialists by crushing them will be risky as other powers might intervene on their side. But more on that in a future dev diary

Which is great, it was always kinda odd I couldnt support rebels/government which happened very frequently.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna piss of the rest of the world by aiding every single socialist rebellion

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gonna get impotently angry when the great powers come swinging their dicks in the middle of my internal struggle to down the landowners.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

Gonna get impotently angry when the great powers come swinging their dicks in the middle of my internal struggle to down the landowners.

The trick is to do it while they're all busy with say, a world war.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Going to spend my entire budget on supporting rebellions in my rivals. Any faction or ideology, doesn't matter, just cause every great power to fall into the rebellion death spiral.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The trick is to do it while they're all busy with say, a world war.

Even better to have set those dominoes up to fall.

It is I, the puppet master of nations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

Going to spend my entire budget on supporting rebellions in my rivals. Any faction or ideology, doesn't matter, just cause every great power to fall into the rebellion death spiral.

This film is dedicated to the brave Freikorps fighters of Germany

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

AnoHito posted:

This film is dedicated to the brave Freikorps fighters of Germany

Rerelease it next week dedicated to the Spartacists, the week after that to monarchists. Oh you won't let me into your coal and iron flush market Germany? We'll see how that goes for you

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ideological border gore. No men, no masters.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1509168577449893894

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Wondering what factors determine the demand for opium...