Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Chad Sexington posted:

Reading Hanya Yanagihara's new book and it's mostly tortured literary fluff, but the third of three stories is a future story set in New York after successive waves of various pandemics in the 2090s or plus various knock-on climate change side effects.

It feels both grimly plausible and yet also totally out of reach because she describes pandemics getting so bad that society is actually spurned to become authoritarian instead of just slowly drifting that way naturally while letting people die in droves.

I guess once we got to the point where there are large numbers of visible climate refugees, people would take an airborne pandemic seriously... as a reason to holocaust other people.

that reminds me, I ought to get around to the new Orhan Pamuk

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/609187/nights-of-plague-by-orhan-pamuk/

quote:

The new book by the winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature. Part detective story, part historical epic—a bold and brilliant novel that imagines a plague taking over a fictional island in the Ottoman Empire.

It is April 1900, in the Levant, on the imaginary island of Mingheria—the twenty-ninth state of the Ottoman Empire—located in the eastern Mediterranean between Crete and Cyprus. Half the population is Muslim, the other half are Orthodox Greeks, and tension is high between the two. When a plague arrives—brought either by Muslim pilgrims returning from the Mecca or by merchant vessels coming from Alexandria—the island revolts.

To stop the epidemic, the Ottoman sultan Abdul Hamid II sends his most accomplished quarantine expert to the island—an Orthodox Christian. Some of the Muslims, including followers of a popular religious sect and its leader Sheikh Hamdullah, refuse to take precautions or respect the quarantine. And then a murder occurs.

As the plague continues its rapid spread, the Sultan sends a second doctor to the island, this time a Muslim, and strict quarantine measures are declared. But the incompetence of the island’s governor and local administration and the people’s refusal to respect the bans doom the quarantine to failure, and the death count continues to rise. Faced with the danger that the plague might spread to the West and to Istanbul, the Sultan bows to international pressure and allows foreign and Ottoman warships to blockade the island. Now the people of Mingheria are on their own, and they must find a way to defeat the plague themselves.

Steeped in history and rife with suspense, Nights of Plague is an epic story set more than one hundred years ago, with themes that feel remarkably contemporary.

English should be out in October if we make it

e:lol he’s so self orientalising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Cross-posting from the econ thread: have you checked your bean hoard lately?

https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1507050109904863236?s=20&t=MICgtZ3i6lvgT0Oa_HW5fA

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

now is probably the time to invest in coffee substitutes like energy drinks. this is rock solid investing advice

*5 years from now alone in a trench nervously guarding my yerba matte plant because war, famine, pestilence and death have stolen everything else from me*

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 389 days!
the cool thing about wearing an aura or envo during the workday in a big,multi-divisional office where everyone is unmasked but you is that you look insane by comparison, no matter what else is going on

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

1,000,000 dead bodies and a fertilizer shortage. Someone dropped the ball here.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Lacrosse posted:

https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1507050109904863236?s=20&t=MICgtZ3i6lvgT0Oa_HW5fA

The weird cough

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 389 days!

i just cant take this guy seriously sorry! 😀

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
https://twitter.com/OoCPokemon/status/1507031622176149506

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

tenderjerk posted:

i just cant take this guy seriously sorry! 😀

You shouldn’t. He’s a piece of poo poo that kills everything he touches. While that sounds threatening, you can’t defend yourself so you must allow him to kill you, counter intuitive I know, but you said you weren’t going to take his murdering lying rear end seriously

https://twitter.com/DefiantLs/status/1507083754292056066?s=20&t=6Mq_pSiHfRdFeLDmwwZILA

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Lacrosse posted:

thank you mr president!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Pillowpants posted:

Wastewater Data is back!

Missouri: Today I learned St. Louis is not in St. Louis county.
-Saint Louis City +183%
-Saint Louis County 1: +628%
-Saint Louis County 2: +736%
-Saint Louis County 3: +40%

the city has to be different from the county otherwise whites would pay for things black people need, can’t have that

also lol look at those whites go, goddamn. real curious where the 40% is. North County?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lastgirl posted:

You shouldn’t. He’s a piece of poo poo that kills everything he touches. While that sounds threatening, you can’t defend yourself so you must allow him to kill you, counter intuitive I know, but you said you weren’t going to take his murdering lying rear end seriously

https://twitter.com/DefiantLs/status/1507083754292056066?s=20&t=6Mq_pSiHfRdFeLDmwwZILA

real leadership simply tells their constituent to eat poo poo and like it because the economy is doing great

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

mawarannahr posted:

just found some interesting info for fellow info heads

https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/A...ged-Facts-finds

now is probably the time to invest in coffee substitutes like energy drinks. consumers are more likely to buy energy drinks from the gas station or vending machine. at the same time, coffee is probably more affected by things like rising shipping prices and political instability. this is rock solid investing advice

but i drink tea :ohdear:

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Lastgirl posted:

Piss Tape is Real is much more fun and lighthearted than Food Shortage is Real

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Petanque posted:

I think tea is more widely grown so you’re probably good unless you’re in North America and the following places aren’t sending tea no more for ??? reason:

compare

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

what year is it

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Petanque posted:

There's an american native plant that produces pretty good tea called Yaupon. It was basically drowned out and forgotten about by the british for obvious reasons but its making a come back.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

This is funnier now when I read a tweet about people discovering that Cardassians are an American analogue and they just went quiet, you could feel the despair from the realization

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mr. Pizza posted:

what year is it

1920, OP.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

MLK Ultra posted:

reposting in new thread since COVID == over.

[vids]

so i know lol goon project, but ive thought a lot about what a cspam covid doc would be like.

i have zero knowledge of how to do this but my IDEA was that it would have zero narration, zero interviews, zero Expose type poo poo—just a collection of videos that highlight the contradictions of this bizarre reality, like videos of freezer truck morgues with people partying it up.

i mean thats all i got. basically two hours of morgues and packed ICUs juxtaposed with people partying. with IRONIC song choices like black eyed peas and poo poo.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mr. Pizza posted:

what year is it

3 AC (anno covidi)

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

it's been a bad week for covid thread's posting enemies

good. i saw you in particular being one of the folks who were supportive in the thread, know that poo poo was both seen and appreciated

oh for gently caress's sake

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gio posted:

so i know lol goon project, but ive thought a lot about what a cspam covid doc would be like.

i have zero knowledge of how to do this but my IDEA was that it would have zero narration, zero interviews, zero Expose type poo poo—just a collection of videos that highlight the contradictions of this bizarre reality, like videos of freezer truck morgues with people partying it up.

i mean thats all i got. basically two hours of morgues and packed ICUs juxtaposed with people partying. with IRONIC song choices like black eyed peas and poo poo.

[British accent narrator]

but then something happened that the CDC hadn’t planned

*static*

*footage of people banging pots from their balconies*

*footage of a child struggling to walk across a playground at school*

[Burial soundtrack begins playing]

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Quoting so I can find it later.

Excellent job with the new thread, Ms. Trixie.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Joementum posted:

[British accent narrator]

but then something happened that the CDC hadn’t planned

*static*

*footage of people banging pots from their balconies*

*footage of a child struggling to walk across a playground at school*

[Burial soundtrack begins playing]

lol basically like his movies minus the dumb pretentious narration

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
when everyones like this thread doesn't want covid to end thats loving bullshit. i want Covid to end! just not as much as i want ryan reynolds VOs at the beginning of 2022 netflix action adventures to end

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Gio posted:

wasn't there a goon in the last thread who got laid off and started posting videos kinda like what you're describing? and i think a different goon posted a compilation video that was pretty good earlier this year

edit: lol its been quoted on this page

Sep 2, 2011

Gio posted:

Covidisqatsi

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

drat, i'm late to the new thread

here's to another million dead americans by a completely preventable disease

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Barry Soteriology posted:

wasn't there a goon in the last thread who got laid off and started posting videos kinda like what you're describing? and i think a different goon posted a compilation video that was pretty good earlier this year

edit: lol its been quoted on this page

Nope, sorry…that never happened. Must have been a covid fever dream.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

loading... posted:

Covidisqatsi

i have never seen or heard of this movie but after reading the description i am highly intrigued

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gio posted:

i have never seen or heard of this movie but after reading the description i am highly intrigued

it is very good

the sequels less so

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Mr. Pizza posted:

what year is it

I think it's year two of the Mayan Apocalypse

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
telling the job tomorrow of my intention to hit da bricks

new gig is fully remote and a 20% raise

impetus to look for it was asking to only work two days a week in the office instead of three (i'm a heart patient, any reduction in potential exposure is a good thing) and basically being told to gently caress off

so i'm loving off

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

U-DO Burger posted:

4. biden announces a test to treat program where people can get free covid testing, and free covid treatment if they test positive

5. congress drops all federal funding for covid, completely killing the goals outlined in the roadmap, and the test to treat program, while making our already useless CDC community transmission map even worse

Test to Treat was a dead letter even if if had funding.

It was only going to be at two hundred pharmacies nationwide, and it couldn’t have expanded to all that many because Paxlovid requires a doctor’s prescription. Only pharmacies with an attached clinic could provide that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Toaster Beef posted:

impetus to look for it was asking to only work two days a week in the office instead of three (i'm a heart patient, any reduction in potential exposure is a good thing) and basically being told to gently caress off

so i'm loving off

grats on the new job

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Toaster Beef posted:

so i'm loving off

hell yeah

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Iron Crowned posted:

Love that my work just sent out a "safety program" that I have to return a signed acknowledgement of. Like everything it's poorly written but includes the line "respirators are used only in the paint booth area."

I'm guessing I should probably order a case of Auras and start sourcing a Corsi Cube.

Auras are respirators.

This is usually considered a technicality within this thread, but legally, it is an absolute truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rasczak posted:

good. i saw you in particular being one of the folks who were supportive in the thread, know that poo poo was both seen and appreciated

:hai: that poo poo wasn't cool at all

Toaster Beef posted:

so i'm loving off

lol at employers treating employees as disposable right now