Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Kild posted:

Can't wait for Luffy insisting he ate the Gomu fruit and that he's not Joyboy.

"iya, gomu da"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
there are 1,000000,00,0,0,00000% literal souls inside devil fruits and its related to the shandian legend about souls going to the trees after someone dies

i had to sit and think about this chapter a little bit but i come down ultimately on loving it. it's just really perfect, and i'll swallow the stupid chosen one stuff because obviously, this is something oda's been waiting ages to implement, and the execution was flawless, genuinely.

how the gently caress is luffy somehow scary while in this form. the sheer ease with which he is throwing around kaido is absurd.

only thing i'm slightly nervous about is that we have a dumb plotline of him being unable to access this power again down the road at will

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Coaaab posted:

When this chapter gets animated, I'll be waiting for youtube clips of luffy goofily, effortlessly beating up kaido set to stars and stripes forever

When this chapter gets animated

They had better outsource those scenes to Warner Bros goddammit :argh:

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Since Zoans have a will of their own, it could easily be the other way around. Luffy is special not because he ate the fruit, but because the fruit recognized the qualities that make Luffy Luffy and hopped onto his plate.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Fungah! posted:

idgaf about the chosen one poo poo because i stopped reading naruto and bleach before they could poison the joy centers of my brain so instead i'm gonna reread the panels of luffy throwing kaido around so hard he gets googoo eyes and turning the ground into a trampoline and whistle the popeye theme for the rest f the night. ONE PIECE RULES

I read them and this chapter still rules. gently caress anyone who hates ~the chosen one~ trope just to hate it. Everything is good if done right. If people think Oda can't do this right then why are they still reading one piece after 25 years. Get hosed losers

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The weird thing (well one of the weird things) is He basically appears to just be stronger, possibly with more control over his rubber body, but his real new ability is that he grabbed the ground and used it like a sheet of rubber. It's the bouncy castle awakening that we were all eagerly anticipating... except it's also a god zoan.

I like the concept that spirit of liberation means cartoon physics, but I was worried it would be way too open ended. Except it appears to just be awakened rubber powers and a new outfit?

I've got such mixed thoughts about this, even though it is undeniably cool for it to be so goofy.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I interpreted the Zoan's will as it being able to escape from harm (to what degree we don't know, maybe like a One Ring slipping from Isildur's finger kind of way), but anyone can still eat it if they get their hands on it. Someone on Shank's crew could have scoffed it before it reached Luffy. I didn't get the vibe from the translation that it had that kind of control, but it's too early to say for sure
Yeah, fair enough. I'm not supposing it was hopping around doing stuff, and I definitely think we're going with vague Lord of the Rings luck/fate stuff. But that still means that luck/fate has a will, and it brought the fruit to Luffy, so there's a pretty strong implication.

RatHat posted:

He was already son of Dragon, grandson of Garp, brothers(kinda) with the son of Roger, has the special Haki, can hear the Voice of all things, ect.
His relatives' fame didn't get him where he was, and the special haki and voice of all things stuff could have been related to his character, and they were not unique traits to him.

The fruit, which has a will, choosing Luffy, is a bit more significant than all that.

I'm also kind of assuming that things like Joyboy's apology and Kaido wishing he was Joyboy are actually hinting at something in the future that must be done by the Heir to Joyboy- i.e. Luffy and Luffy alone because he's chosen.

I also want to emphasize that is is not a badly executed development. It is cool as heck. But pretending he's not a chosen one is like pretending haki isn't an energy force. He is and it is and Oda's pretty good at using these things in a not-bad way, but there are still reasons they're not hugely appealing concepts to some people.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
"actually luffy's fruit was a super special legendary zoan all this time" is stupid. if it were just "joyboy had the same fruit so the wg is scared now it's awakening" that would probably be fine but the super special legendary zoan thing is so silly. at least it wasn't roger's fruit i guess. gear 5 being awakening leading to cartoon physics powers is great though.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

derra posted:

Since Zoans have a will of their own, it could easily be the other way around. Luffy is special not because he ate the fruit, but because the fruit recognized the qualities that make Luffy Luffy and hopped onto his plate.

yeah thats where i land on it. the fruit said hey...this kid maybe has what it takes. or hell, maybe it just knew this kid wants to party like crazy. either way let's roll.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
blackbeard's awakened form revealed

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Great chapter.

Lufy's fruit being cartoon powers is so loving perfect. He's not just a rubber man, he's a rubberhose man. I have my doubts about the anime being able to do this justice, but I'm sure video games and/or fans will be able to make it happen.

Orochi's death also ruled, and was perfect, although I'd still be open to him surviving in some wretched state and dying even more pathetically. Everyone in the country deserves a chance to kill that guy.

God, the panels where Luffy GRABBED Kaido and YANKED him up to the roof, with Kaido's eyes having animation smears, are just so incredible. Oda is a master of his craft, and clearly having the time of his life with this poo poo. I don't mind a chosen one plot at all if it's the legendary chosen on that is feared by the evil all-controlling world government is a goofy cartoon man with cartoon powers to do whatever he wants! THE MOST RIDICULOUS POWER IN THE WORLD...!!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Orochi is literally burning to death while the only person who could help him watches I'm pretty sure the dude is done

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
one piece is good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh man i just realized the fight between luffy and blackbear is just gonna be popeye v bluto

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RatHat posted:

So it’s basically 100% at this point that Joyboy also had this fruit huh?

Joyboy is this fruit?

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

lih posted:

"actually luffy's fruit was a super special legendary zoan all this time" is stupid. if it were just "joyboy had the same fruit so the wg is scared now it's awakening" that would probably be fine but the super special legendary zoan thing is so silly. at least it wasn't roger's fruit i guess. gear 5 being awakening leading to cartoon physics powers is great though.

I left my treasure all in one piece!!! But it literally doesn’t matter if you didn’t eat the chosen fruit!!

Like I love the power up itself but y’all are smoking if you think it’s good, I’m fully cheering for Blackbeard now

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Electric Phantasm posted:

Can't wait to find out Blackbeard's fruit is also a secret Zoan, Hito Hito Model: Bluto.

Oh my god please

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Did the fruit pick Luffy because he desires to be the freest?

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
Oda is amazing. The whole chapter had me laughing and grinning too. I knew Oda would nail the identity of the fruit. It fits perfectly.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

skipmyseashells posted:

I left my treasure all in one piece!!! But it literally doesn’t matter if you didn’t eat the chosen fruit!!

Like I love the power up itself but y’all are smoking if you think it’s good, I’m fully cheering for Blackbeard now

Here's my dumb theory that makes that make sense: The Hito Hito no Mi model Nika was One Piece. It was Roger's Treasure. He didn't eat it because Shirahoshi needed to be an adult for Joyboy's return to mean anything, so he left it at Laugh Tale for the next generation of Pirates.

But then Shanks went to Laugh Tale after Roger's death and never told anyone. He found One Piece there and was wondering what to do with this fruit. Luffy ate it by accident. He's had One Piece within him this whole time.

There are some obvious contradictions in this theory, but it almost works.

Veskit posted:

This is just about my take and it's why I think I'm going to be okay with this Chosen One plot. Maybe. It's got potential.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm ok with Luffy getting the legendary super special god power because it's framed that the danger is that it brings happiness by being a silly rascal. Its wily nature happens to be strong, but above all it's a sensible chuckle machine for all to see. Perfect.

Eiba posted:

Here's my dumb theory that makes that make sense: The Hito Hito no Mi model Nika was One Piece. It was Roger's Treasure. He didn't eat it because Shirahoshi needed to be an adult for Joyboy's return to mean anything, so he left it at Laugh Tale for the next generation of Pirates.

But then Shanks went to Laugh Tale after Roger's death and never told anyone. He found One Piece there and was wondering what to do with this fruit. Luffy ate it by accident. He's had One Piece within him this whole time.

There are some obvious contradictions in this theory, but it almost works.

This is just about my take and it's why I think I'm going to be okay with this Chosen One plot. Maybe. It's got potential.

I'm thinking they found an epic mural explaining how to use it, and how it lead to the void century. And in front of that mural was an open chest lol. Someone had already taken the fruit, deffo with no idea about what they were grabbing since it would've shaken up the world in the right or wrong hands, and it's out there in the world.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 25, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Veskit posted:

Didn't he eat the fruit before he got that desire with Sabo's "death", though?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PirateZim posted:

all i needed was this one text box and i was on board

Absolutely agreed, I laughed and clapped like a loving trained seal when I got to that part, Luffy having the most ridiculous power in the world is absolute perfection.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Can't wait to find out Blackbeard's fruit is also a secret Zoan, Hito Hito Model: Bluto.

People have said it before, but realizing that Oda has been building for 20+ years to a Popeye/Bluto inspired throwdown makes me love him even more than I thought I already did.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fungah! posted:

oh man i just realized the fight between luffy and blackbear is just gonna be popeye v bluto

Related to the spoiler in this post:
https://youtu.be/nXgxDC7Dyt0

derra
Dec 29, 2012

skipmyseashells posted:

Roger laughed, though. He laughed.

Besides the absence of Zoro (although Luffy's gonna cartoon him back to life somehow I guess) Kaido's lack of a reaction is confusing me. Clearly the dude knows stuff about Joy Boy.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
hating aside luffy’s eyes popping out on some looney tunes poo poo is already one of my favourite panels

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

ThingOne posted:

Really, Awakened Luffy should just be Popeye

Holy poo poo I actually called it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can understand being a bit hesitant at this development, but Oda's got 25 years of good will, so I'm willing to give it time to settle in

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Somebody get on the Luffy/Roger Rabbit edit

derra
Dec 29, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Somebody get on the Luffy/Roger Rabbit edit

This is what I go to.

"You mean you could've gotten out of these cuffs at any time????"

"No! Not anytime! Only when it was funny! BLEHLHEBLHEBLHBLEHBLHBE"

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
I absolutely loved this and have to echo the sentiment that it just works so...perfectly. There are hints scattered throughout the story, and it's such a natural progression of Luffy's powers, and it's just FUN.

Anyways, someone on Reddit made an interesting observation that i keep thinking about; Kaido is obsessed with JoyBoy and the artificial fruits are SMILES. It kind of raises the implication that they were trying to recreate the JoyBoy fruit all along, and that perhaps the failed test subjects being unable to do anything but laugh/smile is a dark side-effect of their failed experiments.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

ThingOne posted:

Holy poo poo I actually called it

Takes a lot of guts to go read spoilers and post about them in the thread like it's some kind of "prediction"

On, uh... March 11th.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Literally my only problem with this chapter is the fact that it's not the Gomu Gomu fruit but a Zoan instead. Why? Seems unnecessary. You can still make the Gomu Gomu fruit a special fruit that only Joy Boy/Nika have eaten/created in the past or something. The "most ridiculous power in the world" line still lands if that's the Awakening of the Rubber fruit

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

if sanji ate this fruit he would be doing the cartoon wolf whistle every time he saw a lady

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm pogging

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yohoho he took a bite of rubber hose

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Something something squash and stretch animation taken to a literal degree

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Eating the sun god fruit makes a bigger foil to Bluto Blackbeard eating the dark dark fruit too I guess

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

davidHalestorm posted:

Literally my only problem with this chapter is the fact that it's not the Gomu Gomu fruit but a Zoan instead. Why? Seems unnecessary. You can still make the Gomu Gomu fruit a special fruit that only Joy Boy/Nika have eaten/created in the past or something. The "most ridiculous power in the world" line still lands if that's the Awakening of the Rubber fruit

the thing is that it's not rubber. Rubber is the best offhand way to explain it, but it's cartoons. Luffy's literally been doing Zoan transformations the whole time, which as Kaido pointed out, is not how rubber works

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Turns out Luffy's a rubber hose animation man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The way Kaido and the ground react to Luffy's antics, I think if he grabs someone or something now, he can cartoon them up a bit, too.