Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I know a crazy character who has had an insane life, and part of that was being friends with George Clinton. When George was in town he’d be part of all the hangers-on. They’d all be partying in the dressing room and when George left to go perform everyone would start searching his chair and the floor around it for all the fallen crack rocks. That would hold them over until the afterparty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If it hasn't been mentioned, the documentary on Disney Plus about the rescue of those Thai boys from the submerged cave is pretty good. "The Rescue". It's funny that it completely omits Elon Musk's attempt to insert himself into the situation, which makes me glad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched the documentary series about the murders at Starved Rock and I really didn't see the twist coming: In the previous episodes the show has been leading up to making Weger seems totally innocent and having the support of the local community. In the last episode it's shown that he sent dark and sexual letters to the producer, that he can't keep his story straight and that the locals who support him are total lunatics who believe that framing Weger for murder is part of a larger conspiracy that involves pede organisations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alhazred posted:

Watched the documentary series about the murders at Starved Rock and I really didn't see the twist coming: In the previous episodes the show has been leading up to making Weger seems totally innocent and having the support of the local community. In the last episode it's shown that he sent dark and sexual letters to the producer, that he can't keep his story straight and that the locals who support him are total lunatics who believe that framing Weger for murder is part of a larger conspiracy that involves pede organisations.

I just wanna second this, really great documentary work that actually manages to pull a 'twist' off really loving well

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I didn't read the spoiler and was expecting a bigger twist but overall it was pretty compelling. Not so much for the source material but yeah, the way it was framed was neat. I grew very concerned when they showed the psychic "energy.. whatever" and thought it was going somewhere but thankfully it didn't.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Zwabu posted:

If it hasn't been mentioned, the documentary on Disney Plus about the rescue of those Thai boys from the submerged cave is pretty good. "The Rescue". It's funny that it completely omits Elon Musk's attempt to insert himself into the situation, which makes me glad.

S-tier documentary and a bigger tear-jerker than the best Pixar movies

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop recently and it's kind of a mind gently caress. I don't think it was an elaborate ruse but ... it could be?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
HBO max documentary about Trump's attempted coup comes out in a few hours.
https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/four-hours-at-the-capitol

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Why was I sure that documentary came out a few months ago? There was definitely a Jan 6 doc on HBO that I watched. Are they seriously doing another one?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
poo poo, it did. My bad. I just saw that it was upcoming on HBO Max and assumed it was new.

Here's an article from October.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/19/entertainment/four-hours-at-the-capitol-review/index.html

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

deoju posted:

poo poo, it did. My bad. I just saw that it was upcoming on HBO Max and assumed it was new.

Here's an article from October.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/19/entertainment/four-hours-at-the-capitol-review/index.html

It's a good watch

Also, regarding the WM3 and Paradise Lost case for those that liked those docs, there's news on it.

Evidence that Echols' lawyers asked for and were told was "destroyed in a fire" was found intact, specifically the ligatures that have untested hairs on them. The state lied about a fire and the police chief has resigned. This case never ever stops being insane. Also didn't see it mentioned but John Mark Byers died a while back from a single car traffic accident.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/587211-evidence-believed-to-be-lost-in-west-memphis-3-case-reportedly-found-at

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/dec/22/west-memphis-three-granted-access-to-evidence/

Evidence believed lost in West Memphis Three case found at police department

quote:

Attorney Patrick Benca, who represents defendant Damien Echols, wrote in a Wednesday statement that he located evidence from the case after being granted access to the police department through an Arkansas state court order, according to WREG. He said the evidence, which he claims city officials previously told him was lost, destroyed or missing, was found intact and organized.

"We are pleased that the evidence is intact," Benca said, according to WREG. "We are planning to move ahead and test this evidence using the latest DNA technology available to hopefully identify the real killer(s) of the three children in 1993, and exonerate Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jesse Misskelley."

I started a WM3 thread several years ago and am considering a new one. I'm very well versed in the case and have even had correspondence with some of those involved, including Byers.

If anyone's interested, I start one but not sure where to put it. Ask/Tell I guess?

EDIT:

Here's a good in depth podcast about the recent news. S5 E5 parts 1 and 2.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-serial-dynasty-podcast

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 5, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I thought the condition of their release is they wouldn't legally pursue exoneration?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they did it for a second, I'm just confused.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

BiggerBoat posted:

I started a WM3 thread several years ago and am considering a new one. I'm very well versed in the case and have even had correspondence with some of those involved, including Byers.

If anyone's interested, I start one but not sure where to put it. Ask/Tell I guess?

Do it. It's an insane case that never stops developing new angles - but I'm not reading the armchair detectives and wine mom's on true crime boards to understand what's going on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I thought the condition of their release is they wouldn't legally pursue exoneration?

They can't sue the state but they can pursue evidence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They were unfortunately forced into an Alford plea to get released - it's where you plead guilty but still assert your innocence but admit they have enough evidence to prove you're guilty. They were sentenced to time served after putting in the pleas and let out. So like BiggerBoat said they can't sue for being wrongfully imprisoned as is the norm for innocent people who are let out as the norm is legal exoneration.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Kind of Documentary related and I know a new thread was made from discussions in this thread but I can’t seem to find it, but the West Memphis 3 are up in court on June 23rd with new DNA evidence hoping to clear their names.

The documentary’s on this case are something else and if you haven’t seen them they’re well worth a watch.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

They were unfortunately forced into an Alford plea to get released - it's where you plead guilty but still assert your innocence but admit they have enough evidence to prove you're guilty. They were sentenced to time served after putting in the pleas and let out. So like BiggerBoat said they can't sue for being wrongfully imprisoned as is the norm for innocent people who are let out as the norm is legal exoneration.

So would their current course of action expunge the crime from their record, or...

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I saw that YouTube just pulled Oliver Stone's doc on Ukraine from 2016, so now I guess I gotta see it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

So would their current course of action expunge the crime from their record, or...

An Alford plea is a guilty plea so I don't think so. As far as the "justice" system is concerned they committed the murders.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 12, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

Kind of Documentary related and I know a new thread was made from discussions in this thread but I can’t seem to find it, but the West Memphis 3 are up in court on June 23rd with new DNA evidence hoping to clear their names.

The documentary’s on this case are something else and if you haven’t seen them they’re well worth a watch.

I hadn't heard about this so thanks. Here's a link

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/l...RAJ6YIBPCIUKBU/

This is just to decide IF the evidence will even be allowed to be tested, which is insane. First they said it lost, then it was destroyed in a fire that never happened, then it was found intact and now the state is denying testing by Echols' team. I'm not a conspiracy minded sort but this really feels like the state and/or the WMPD is hiding something. They fight every step.

I post on a few WM3 message boards and it's crazy to me how many people still believe the WM3 are guilty. Now, why the gently caress would they push for more evidence testing if there was a chance in hell of their DNA showing up? People point out that they accepted the Alford Plea and since it was the defense team's idea as evidence of their guilt as well. gently caress that.

I'd have admitted to the Lindbergh kidnapping, the Zodiac murders and JFK if it meant I could get out of jail after 18 years. I also wouldn't want to rot in a jail cell for however long the process might take and to roll the dice once more with what is obviously a backwoods and hosed up justice system. There was no guarantee that the court would even allow evidence or, if they did, that they would make the right call on any of it. And, again, who knows how loving long this may have taken? Far easier to fight from outside prison than inside.

And these same believers in their guilt refuse who ask "why did the WM3 accept the guilty plea" are unable to answer why the STATE would agree to it and just let three Satan worshiping child killers walk scot free? They also ignore that Jadon Baldwin didn't want to take the Alford Plea but was talked into it because of Damien's failing health.

Also, check out Peter Jackson and Amy Berg's West of Memphis for the best doc on the case, IMO.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't Damian's eyesight permanently damaged from being kept in protective custody? I think that might hurry up my willingness to compromise.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 12, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This is loving bizarre and depressing because I swear to god I've watched the HBO documentaries that led up to the one I watched today. It was like the movie "Boyhood" only with junkies in the wastelands of Newark, NJ.

It's called "Life of Crime, 1984-2020". I don't know how HBO got so much access to these people's lives but Jesus Christ was it as enlightening as it was depressing. I've struggled on and off with addiction all my life but good god all mighty am I glad I never tried heroin or dabbled with needles.

I don't know if this link will work or if it's behind my pay wall but I'm gonna post it anyway

https://play.hbomax.com/page/urn:hbo:page:GYYLgQggO0Kd9wgEAAACg:type:feature

It aint a pick me up, like AT ALL, but it will give you a glimpse at things you don't want to see but still might want to from behind the safety of a lens. I loving cried at the end and I don't break down easily. For the Grace of God Go I and all that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FWIW I found the orginal WM3 thread I made a while back if anyone wants to read it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657059&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

It's called "Life of Crime, 1984-2020". I don't know how HBO got so much access to these people's lives but Jesus Christ was it as enlightening as it was depressing. I've struggled on and off with addiction all my life but good god all mighty am I glad I never tried heroin or dabbled with needles.

This is a good recommendation. I wouldn't say it's actually "good" as a film, but the access to the subject's lives and the length of time over which they are followed is pretty incredible. It's very hard to watch in certain places and the title strongly hints at the ultimate outcomes of the people documented, but I still found myself on the rollercoaster of hope and disappointment every time it looked like someone had a shot at stability but ultimately fell back into active addiction.

I also have some experience with addiction, recovery, and relapse, though my socioeconomic circumstances are very different and I'm lucky to have a solid social safety net. For the people followed in the film, the difference in quality of life between active addiction and incarceration versus sobriety and participation in society is much more narrow and it seems like everyone they know is encouraging them to use all the time they are clean. It's all very desperate and illustrative of both the pull of addiction and the difficulty of building something solid to stand on out of the rubble of your life when you get a rare opportunity to change things.

I would have liked more frequent check ins with the subjects, especially at the beginning when they start experiencing the consequences of their behavior. So much of the film is the result of the decisions they made early in their lives. I would also like to know more about how they got to the point at which we join them in their 20s. Addiction runs deep and whatever brought them to where they are at the beginning of the film is as important as anything that follows and maybe more so.

All in all, I strongly recommend watching it if you have an interest in poverty, crime, and addiction. Be aware that one of the original subjects who drops out fairly early is an abusive piece of poo poo and assaults his pregnant partner on film at one point. When the director, John, visits him in jail for the last time, he seems to be taunting him about the length of his sentence, like he's happy that some moral arc of consequence is punishing him. Probably not great for someone who is supposed to be a neutral observer, but totally understandable and deserved.

Another documentary that follows people over the span of decades, albeit on the opposite end of the socioeconomic spectrum, is Doctor's Diaries, which follows a group of people from med school to late in their careers. The focus is on their profession, but you necessarily also get information about their personal lives, and it's really fascinating to watch how they change as people over time. It's a series and all of the episodes are available at the link. I'd recommend skipping the first episode so you get the slow reveal of the arc of their lives.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just finished my first proper documentary short. It’s about a Slovakian busker who lives off the money he makes in the street, and gets into issues like what it means to follow your dreams and be an outsider. It’s not public release yet but if anyone wants to watch, drop me a pm and I’ll get you a link. It’s only 25 minutes too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BrianRx posted:

This is a good recommendation. I wouldn't say it's actually "good" as a film, but the access to the subject's lives and the length of time over which they are followed is pretty incredible. It's very hard to watch in certain places and the title strongly hints at the ultimate outcomes of the people documented, but I still found myself on the rollercoaster of hope and disappointment every time it looked like someone had a shot at stability but ultimately fell back into active addiction.

I also have some experience with addiction, recovery, and relapse, though my socioeconomic circumstances are very different and I'm lucky to have a solid social safety net. For the people followed in the film, the difference in quality of life between active addiction and incarceration versus sobriety and participation in society is much more narrow and it seems like everyone they know is encouraging them to use all the time they are clean. It's all very desperate and illustrative of both the pull of addiction and the difficulty of building something solid to stand on out of the rubble of your life when you get a rare opportunity to change things.

I would have liked more frequent check ins with the subjects, especially at the beginning when they start experiencing the consequences of their behavior. So much of the film is the result of the decisions they made early in their lives. I would also like to know more about how they got to the point at which we join them in their 20s. Addiction runs deep and whatever brought them to where they are at the beginning of the film is as important as anything that follows and maybe more so.

All in all, I strongly recommend watching it if you have an interest in poverty, crime, and addiction. Be aware that one of the original subjects who drops out fairly early is an abusive piece of poo poo and assaults his pregnant partner on film at one point. When the director, John, visits him in jail for the last time, he seems to be taunting him about the length of his sentence, like he's happy that some moral arc of consequence is punishing him. Probably not great for someone who is supposed to be a neutral observer, but totally understandable and deserved.

1. I think we got a strong glimpse of that with a few of the parents and step fathers. Couple of those male parental figures were pretty far gone and I didn't see anyone really taking on the role of a father in any meaningful way. The one mom was in "what are you gonna do?" mode when her son skipped his court date. The whole scenario just reeked of helplessness.

2. I didn't think the director was taunting that dude you mentioned. I'm not a punitive minded type but I have to admit I was glad to see that pregnant wife beating motherfucker go down, especially given his bravado and macho posturing. I wanted to beat the poo poo out of him myself with that "get back in your loving hole" diatribe he went on. In what way did you think the director was taunting him?

Looking at all of them and their situation, I got the sense that there were just really limited ways out, even if some of them occasionally had good intentions, if that makes sense. I've lived in some rough parts of Philly, SF, Jacksonville and Atlanta but I was at least going to college or had some sort of regular job and a support system. That ending loving crushed me because I really thought Delirus had turned a corner there and it was rough seeing her catch a hot shot like that

This doc was like watching Boyhood only it was real.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

1. I think we got a strong glimpse of that with a few of the parents and step fathers. Couple of those male parental figures were pretty far gone and I didn't see anyone really taking on the role of a father in any meaningful way. The one mom was in "what are you gonna do?" mode when her son skipped his court date. The whole scenario just reeked of helplessness.

Definitely with regard to that mom. If I'm keeping people straight, both Freddie and Rob had barely functional alcoholics for father-figures. I dunno, you're right in that a lot can be inferred (I think Rob's family disowned him or passed away because John mentions to Freddie that his homecoming was way less depressing than Rob's). I guess you could see that the dynamic between Delirus and her kids may have been intergenerational. I think my desire for more information involves that, actually. What was different about her kids that kept them straight (or let them eventually get straight) where she failed?I think there's something important there about addiction and about childhood trauma.

quote:

2. I didn't think the director was taunting that dude you mentioned. I'm not a punitive minded type but I have to admit I was glad to see that pregnant wife beating motherfucker go down, especially given his bravado and macho posturing. I wanted to beat the poo poo out of him myself with that "get back in your loving hole" diatribe he went on. In what way did you think the director was taunting him?

I went back and reviewed it because I finished it around 2am last night and probably read things differently. At 23 minutes, Michael is crying in a holding cell after getting picked up for running and John says "I thought you said they weren't going to catch you, Michael?"

Later, when John visits Michael in prison, he says, "Hey Mike! The guards say you're going to be here for a REAL LONG time." I don't read either of those as strongly on second viewing and John sometimes has strange inflections when he's speaking (maybe to be heard on mic) so I'm probably wrong.

quote:

That ending loving crushed me because I really thought Delirus had turned a corner there and it was rough seeing her catch a hot shot like that

Strong agree. I was also pretty upset about the circumstances of Rob's death and the way he was found. He seemed like he was doing the work to build the tools to stay sober and was living the "service" part of recovery, but addiction did what it does. I really didn't need to see his badly decomposed face at the morgue.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jakabite posted:

Just finished my first proper documentary short. It’s about a Slovakian busker who lives off the money he makes in the street, and gets into issues like what it means to follow your dreams and be an outsider. It’s not public release yet but if anyone wants to watch, drop me a pm and I’ll get you a link. It’s only 25 minutes too.

i'd be into this

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BrianRx posted:

Strong agree. I was also pretty upset about the circumstances of Rob's death and the way he was found. He seemed like he was doing the work to build the tools to stay sober and was living the "service" part of recovery, but addiction did what it does. I really didn't need to see his badly decomposed face at the morgue.

No poo poo on that last point. Jesus Christ I turned my head fast but caught enough of it and didn't really think that was necessary to include. Thing I couldn't figure out was why there was so much blood but I guess it was a live vein he caught and it turned into like a siphon or something. The way they handled that was a little over the top and gratuitous.

Re-reading your explanation about Michael though and you're actually right. But I also have to think the film makers probably hated his loving guts from that poo poo they filmed. I imagine part of the non disclosure agreement or whatever it was that gained them access precluded them from doing anything about him beating the poo poo out of his pregnant wife so I can't really fault them for being a little bit "who's a big shot now, fuckface?" about it.

I wanted to loving beat that rear end in a top hat with a tire iron.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BrianRx posted:

Another documentary that follows people over the span of decades, albeit on the opposite end of the socioeconomic spectrum, is Doctor's Diaries, which follows a group of people from med school to late in their careers. The focus is on their profession, but you necessarily also get information about their personal lives, and it's really fascinating to watch how they change as people over time. It's a series and all of the episodes are available at the link. I'd recommend skipping the first episode so you get the slow reveal of the arc of their lives.

The "Up" series of documentaries following some English people at 7 year intervals from their childhood onwards is probably the best know of this type

First installment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4E6jdPNNc

One of the subjects, Neil, followed over many years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBS3_G7NhHg

There have been installments up to age 63 but I'm not sure if it will continue as Michael Apted, the filmmaker, died a couple of years ago.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks for recommending A Life of Crime. It's brutal and I'm crushed, but it's amazing film.

I was beyond grateful that Kiki and Chimo made it out okay. Their experience as little kids -- fending for themselves, being so close to drug use, knowing to check their mother's arms for track marks -- was the hardest part of the film for me. Chimo's speech at the end was amazing, and Kiki always loved Deliris so much. She was an adult in a kid's body. I was rooting for her so hard. I also thought that Freddie's daughter desperately wanting a relationship with him was really moving. When he can't express himself at the mall, it was so sad.

It's also interesting that Deliris ends up being collateral damage from COVID-19. Not a death that probably is counted, but definitely a casualty of the pandemic.

I've done some impulsive and stupid poo poo. I'm so grateful I never messed around with heroin. Finishing that film makes me feel similarly to when I read those crazy u/SpontaneousH threads on Reddit. edit: This reply especially.

bort fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 31, 2022

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BiggerBoat posted:

But I also have to think the film makers probably hated his loving guts from that poo poo they filmed. I imagine part of the non disclosure agreement or whatever it was that gained them access precluded them from doing anything about him beating the poo poo out of his pregnant wife so I can't really fault them for being a little bit "who's a big shot now, fuckface?" about it.

I wanted to loving beat that rear end in a top hat with a tire iron.

Justifiably so, in my opinion - Michael was a piece of poo poo abuser & nobody deserves to be treated the way he treated his girlfriend. I don't blame them for rubbing it in his face that he was a dipshit, especially after the whole debacle with his girlfriend trying to get an abortion through her mom. He's the only one I had zero pity or sympathy for at the end - everyone else at least tried to do better, but Michael was a piece of poo poo regardless.

Definitely hosed me up bad at the end to see who did & didn't survive, though. it's like Requiem for a Dream but like 1000% more graphic & unadulterated.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Justifiably so, in my opinion - Michael was a piece of poo poo abuser & nobody deserves to be treated the way he treated his girlfriend. I don't blame them for rubbing it in his face that he was a dipshit, especially after the whole debacle with his girlfriend trying to get an abortion through her mom. He's the only one I had zero pity or sympathy for at the end - everyone else at least tried to do better, but Michael was a piece of poo poo regardless.

Agreed. Michael was full of bravado and macho posturing that the other guys didn't really exhibit so I have to admit it was satisfying to see him get his. I mean the other two were cocky and poo poo but aside from the shoplifting, bad parenting and just being irresponsible addicts, they weren't violent, aggressive or loving mean and generally weren't assholes. Neither of them made me MAD.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzuPwTbo_tM

CHESTER P FOR MAYOR: Hip Hop, Homelessness & the Housing Crisis

"Full length documentary following Chester P along his journey through Hip Hop, Homelessness and the Housing Crisis. Featuring Focus E15, Love Activists, New Era Estate residents, Streets Kitchen plus many more."

Great doc about UK Hiphop, Chester P of UK Hiphop legends Taskforce & to a lesser extent about UK politics of around a decade ago. Well worth a watch especially for fans of the hippedy hop music

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

No poo poo on that last point. Jesus Christ I turned my head fast but caught enough of it and didn't really think that was necessary to include. Thing I couldn't figure out was why there was so much blood but I guess it was a live vein he caught and it turned into like a siphon or something. The way they handled that was a little over the top and gratuitous.

When they first showed the kitchen I thought the addict he let live with him had murdered him or something with how much blood there was. Is Life of Crime 2 worth it? It looked like the same story with slightly longer and some additional scenes? I wasnt really in the mood to watch it back to back after finishing LoC.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is Life of Crime 2 worth it?
A Life of Crime and Life of Crime 2 are two complete movies on their own. Life of Crime 1984-2020, the first hour is mostly footage from the other two movies. The second hour is mostly new, but with some of the Deliris footage repeated. If you've watched 1984-2020, you've seen most of the deeply compelling stuff, you only need to watch the others if you feel like seeing all of it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

bort posted:

A Life of Crime and Life of Crime 2 are two complete movies on their own. Life of Crime 1984-2020, the first hour is mostly footage from the other two movies. The second hour is mostly new, but with some of the Deliris footage repeated. If you've watched 1984-2020, you've seen most of the deeply compelling stuff, you only need to watch the others if you feel like seeing all of it.

Ah ok cool thanks

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

When they first showed the kitchen I thought the addict he let live with him had murdered him or something with how much blood there was.

That was my immediate reaction too. Like, whelp, he tried to put something good into the world instead of taking and that's the thing that got him. I guess that's just what it looks like when you overdose alone in the summer and there's no one in your life to notice that you're missing for a while.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I saw that the first one Life of Crime is on archive.org and was thinking of starting there but if the third one is half recap maybe I should just see that?

https://archive.org/details/oneyearinalifeofcrime1989

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I watched all three (but skipped the first hour of 1984-2020, and might have missed something if there was new stuff in there). I felt that was the richest experience. It's not a waste of time, there isn't a dull moment in any of them. It's just the "anthology" has repeats in it.

If you have the time, watch the first two, IMO.