Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm pretty sure DeLancie is a right winger him and Barclay actors are both

I'm still enjoying this season of Picard though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure DeLancie is a right winger him and Barclay actors are both

I'm still enjoying this season of Picard though.

He’s a hardcore atheist at least

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
lol at he Rick and Morty reference. Double lol that a kid under the age of 12 should be allowed to watch it.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Bonzo posted:

lol at he Rick and Morty reference. Double lol that a kid under the age of 12 should be allowed to watch it.

He couldn’t possibly have the IQ necessary to understand the complex science jokes

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Well.. what if he reverses the flow of chocolate into the soup bowl, and turns up the color by 25%?

That should stabilise his comedy receptors and boost comprehension enough to compensate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Double lol that a kid under the age of 12 should be allowed to watch it.

lol allowed

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's supposed to be obvious to the viewer that Q isn't gonna be directly responsible for the evil timeline, right?

I never liked the concept of the Borg Queen. I get that bees have a queen and all, but come on, giving an individual to take out and defeat the hive mind is such a cop out. Also did they ever explain how there's multiple Queens? Are there multiple broods of Borg? It's still a dilution of the concept.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The Borg Queen exists so that Picard had someone to gently caress or fight in First Contact because First Contact was an action movie with an action movie script and you can't very well have the hero hand to hand fighting an implacable expansionist force.

It made the Borg just another generic Star Trek villain and then the brilliant minds behind Voyager just rode that into the ground.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I liked the angry drug fiend lizard guys in DS9.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
they are going back in time to make sure the globalists dont steal the 2024 election ensuring the future star trek promised us instead of the hellscape liberals want.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There's probably been a lot of retconning with the Borg from their first appearance to their latter most. But the Borg are also a concept that it feels like no one has a complete 100% certainty 'how' it really works.

Hugh showed how fragile the whole collective is when he simply has a newly-developed unique identity and when remerged with a single cube he causes it to be severed from the collective.

If they hadn't tried to retcon the Queen as to being part of the collective from the the start, one might have been able to spun her introduction in First Contact as a consequence of the Hugh incident. Something of a response by the collective to create their own independent agent capable of maintaining autonomy to make choices on their own and to avoid similar corruption, with enough power to enact those choices, all merged with an identity/function/title that made maintaining the integrity and goals of the collective her top priority.

But that's probably not something you just throw in a movie out of the blue, either.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
In the TVIV thread we talked about how the Borg are basically engineers convinced they have a killer value prop so they can do sales. It ends the way engineers trying to sell always ends: they come on way too strong, more than a little weird and completely alienate their target audience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"who is watching this" indeed

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The recent RLM video on Picard is great and I think sums up old Trek and nu-Trek perfectly.

"We're going to figure out the right thing to do" vs "This is a reference to a bad thing"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

God this show just feels like it's dumping bunches of TNG references, halfassed comedy bits, and attempts at Serious Drama in a bucket and throwing them at the wall, and then just kind of connecting the dots between whatever comes out. Why am I even watching this. I can't even explain that decision

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I'm extremely angry that 21st century Guinan didn't remember Picard from 18th century San Francisco. Pretty sure he saved her life.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MakaVillian posted:

I'm extremely angry that 21st century Guinan didn't remember Picard from 18th century San Francisco. Pretty sure he saved her life.

"Fans" The writers are coming up with all sorts of dumb theories and excuses as to why or claiming she did remember even though there's nothing to indicate this. They just can't admit the writers are stupid and hosed up.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 26, 2022

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

"Fans" are coming up with all sorts of dumb theories and excuses as to why or claiming she did remember even though there's nothing to indicate this. They just can't admit the writers are stupid and hosed up.
Dude it’s coming from the writers, not the fans

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Isn't it just that she's younger due to implied eventual time travel shenanigans so she wouldn't have actually met him yet in her own personal timeline? Of all the things I didn't like, that specific thing didn't seem like a plot hole.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Isn't it just that she's younger due to implied eventual time travel shenanigans so she wouldn't have actually met him yet in her own personal timeline? Of all the things I didn't like, that specific thing didn't seem like a plot hole.

From the visionary mind of Terry Matalas: https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/picard-showrunner-guinan-2024-jean-luc-star-trek/amp

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

Dude it’s coming from the writers, not the fans

Lmao you're right I totally forgot. That's even more sad.

edit: I read that link and I guess? But they went back to before the timelines diverged so the events of Time's Arrow may have still happened.

Time travel give me a headache.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 26, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh god the actor just seemed so much younger than Whoopi Goldberg I just assumed that was the whole point. Everything about this show just seems like it's a hamhanded attempt at what it's trying to do

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Jose Oquendo posted:

edit: I read that link and I guess? But they went back to before the timelines diverged so the events of Time's Arrow may have still happened.

Exactly. Their explanation makes no sense.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Exactly. Their explanation makes no sense.

It makes “sense” as the timeline where the enterprise crew went back never happened.

It’s BttF logic and it’s fine

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

It makes “sense” as the timeline where the enterprise crew went back never happened.

It’s BttF logic and it’s fine

Guinan can 'sense' broken timelines and poo poo so she should have known instantly what was up, something wasn't right and possibly something about the events of Time's Arrow.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 26, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You know, I get the feeling they might just be making this poo poo up.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

I did chuckle at the punk from Star Trek IV with his 80’s boom box playing the I hate you remix

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Apparently if you have subtitles turned on you find out the lady at the end that Q is trying to gently caress with is Renee Picard

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Picard Season 2 is good.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Endless Trash posted:

Apparently if you have subtitles turned on you find out the lady at the end that Q is trying to gently caress with is Renee Picard

Is that going to be his mother's great great great whatever or are we doing the Bicentennial Man thing where she looks exactly like his mother?

My prediction: Q snapped his fingers to make Renee not travel to Mars which screws poo poo up for whatever reason. But since Q's Thanos Snap didn't work (probably due to The Watcher), Renee still wants to go to Mars so it's up to Picard and crew to steal a ship (powered by the Borg queen of course) and get their rear end to Mars all the while Q is trying to hamstring them. Borg Queen and Q have it while Picard steps in at the last minute and they successfully land on Mars. Timeline resets. And and at some point the Mirror Borg Queen is Picard's mom for some reason.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Picard Season 2 is good.

I don't believe you

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Prediction: Rios is going to Philip J. Fry himself.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Do they nasty in the pasty

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

This is the same problem I had with Chabon’s series of “well, actually” Instagram posts during season 1. If you have to resort to other media after the fact to explain inconsistencies in your story, you done hosed up.

I don’t get why the producers don’t seem to understand that the fans are going to nitpick a new Star Trek show (or any grognard sci-fi show) to hell and back. That’s what the fans have been doing the entire time the show has been around! Over 50 years! Instead, each time they want to flog the dead horse for a few more scraps, they bring somebody in who spouts some crap about being a true fan who loves these iconic characters, blah blah blah…

I’m just grateful that Avery Brooks would most likely laugh in their faces if they approached him about a DS9 revival.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

istewart posted:

This is the same problem I had with Chabon’s series of “well, actually” Instagram posts during season 1. If you have to resort to other media after the fact to explain inconsistencies in your story, you done hosed up.

I don’t get why the producers don’t seem to understand that the fans are going to nitpick a new Star Trek show (or any grognard sci-fi show) to hell and back. That’s what the fans have been doing the entire time the show has been around! Over 50 years! Instead, each time they want to flog the dead horse for a few more scraps, they bring somebody in who spouts some crap about being a true fan who loves these iconic characters, blah blah blah…

I’m just grateful that Avery Brooks would most likely laugh in their faces if they approached him about a DS9 revival.

Supposedly he did. The rumor is they wanted to bring him back but not Cirroc Lofton and he nixed interest because he didn't want Sisko to be a father that abandoned his child.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol star trek fans are even worse than star wars fans because they love to pretend this poo poo isn't schlock

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

it's schlocky but's it's got an internal consistence to it, until now i guess

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like internal consistency is something fans impose from the outside instead of something real that exists from creators. there are like gods that teleport and sentient AIs and the US constitution. the show is basically the twilight zone with a reoccurring cast.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

I don't believe you

S1 was insulting garbage and Disco is real bad. This is the most I’ve enjoyed live action Trek since Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Lol star trek fans are even worse than star wars fans because they love to pretend this poo poo isn't schlock

No way man! They use words like quantum and particle and space time continuum, this poo poo is real and only for people with a very high IQ

The writers have Star Trek Picard have ruined Star Trek by making a time travel plot with inconsistencies, unlike every other time travel plot in Star Trek (or literally anything else)