Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

2 major game conventions are going on this weekend (GaryCon in Wisconsin and Adepticon in Illinois) and everyone in the pics is just walking around maskless except one smart goon:

edit: paying the tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Maybe I haven't crack pinged hard enough, but there's some glimmer of hope on the effects of BA.2 in my mind, as the two largest hospitals serving the area I work (a real big area north of Chicago/Cook County) have a grand total of 3 covid positive patients and that's it, compared to triple digits during the omicron peak. I guess we'll see in 4-6 weeks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

alg posted:

2 major game conventions are going on this weekend (GaryCon in Wisconsin and Adepticon in Illinois) and everyone in the pics is just walking around maskless except one smart goon:

Steal his look

3M 7503 $34
3M 6001 $17
3M 501 $3
3M 5P71 $3

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Fenarisk posted:

Maybe I haven't crack pinged hard enough, but there's some glimmer of hope on the effects of BA.2 in my mind, as the two largest hospitals serving the area I work (a real big area north of Chicago/Cook County) have a grand total of 3 covid positive patients and that's it, compared to triple digits during the omicron peak. I guess we'll see in 4-6 weeks.

counting your eggs covid patients before they hatch die

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Thoguh posted:

I think every state, or at least most of them, have a vaccine database. Some are just easier for the public to access. My doctor's office has a record of my shots even though I got them via an unaffiliated pharmacy.
Do any goons have cross-state experiences here? I’m moving from CA (we can get QR code records for our phones) to the east coast soon, so I’m curious if places will be able to look me up easily, should I decide to go the bandit route for boosters.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Ok - Finished.

Wastewater Data Changes over 15 days.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Thoguh posted:

I’d be interested to know what percentage of people still give a gently caress about COVID. I know we joke about only posters ITT care but there’s a bunch of huge Facebook groups out there that make this thread look fairly open Biden and also a bunch of still cautious people on twitter so it’s gotta be at least 5-10% of people if not a little more.
I continue to be genuinely shocked when I go out in public at the number of people who mask. I can't think of any store that I've been to in the past few weeks since VT's mandate was dropped where I was the only one masked up.

At one store I went to yesterday afternoon a kind of "dented cans but from Whole Foods" type of store, all employees were masked and maybe 80% of the customers. It felt unreal to me.

The next store was a coop grocery and with a similar customer base, only 10%. The local chain grocery had more masking at around 30%.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Fenarisk posted:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

alg posted:

from the looks of that pic a respirator might be a good idea even if there wasn't a pandemic

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Nocturtle posted:

Guy I've looked into this. Unfortunately these are not widely available yet and explicitly not for residential use.

For reference Care222 is a far-UVC buld+filter produced by USHIO, the industry partner of Columbia University and the researchers that wrote that paper and hold the correspinding patent. If you look up the partners listed on the Care222 website you will find some distributors that are already selling integrated lamp systems to commercial businesses. However it's one of those situations where you need to contact a sales representative for a quote etc. Half considering doing just that from my business email address just to see the cost, and I'm guessing if you can get one shipped to a business address if you really want.

Also note from the Care222 website:

Going to assume this is due to FDA foot-dragging. At the same time this is real-deal UV light so some caution is probably warranted. But having one of these in every classroom and shared indoor air-space should be a no-brainerl. However COVID is already over, too late.

cool now put it in the body

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

sorry "Suppose you brought the light inside hte body"

(which you can do, either through the skin or in some other way)

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Fenarisk posted:

It's possible that BA2 hits like an aftershock, causing a lower peak in the U.S. than BA1. It's all a question of how quickly BA1 immune memory wanes and how much immune response crossover there is between BA2 and BA1. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything in terms of solid data about either of these factors. As you said, there's nothing to do but wait and continue to take protective measures. My pure wild guess is that the U.S. will be primed for another death wave midyear or so, certainly by August, but if BA2 really does escape BA1 immunity then that could happen much sooner.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

Ok - Finished.

Wastewater Data Changes over 15 days.

we defeated omicron again !

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
looking forward to UV strobe lights in every room

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

alg posted:

comorbidity.jpg also tax is theft

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

I knew my pet lizards would help me through the apocalypse somehow, and now I know it's by letting me borrow their UV lamps and teaching me the importance of mealworm farming for when the famine hits

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Given what we know about how long COVID can linger in various parts of the body - even in corpses - could it be that wastewater has become a lagging rather than leading indicator? Like the COVID in the poop we are seeing is just because Omicron likes to live in the gut more than prior variants did?

I'm legitimately asking as someone ignorant of why this could or could not be the case. It just seems from what I'm gathering here that from what we've seen WRT wastewater in prior waves, that seems should be popping off more than they are now even given the CDC's deliberate ofuscation of the data.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fenarisk posted:

I think that while we are very much undercounting cases currently we are legitimately in a lull, not as low as last summer but still pretty low. What I don’t think anyone knows though is how long it will last. Will BA.2 gently caress us up in April? Or will we dodge this one and not get another big wave until late summer or fall?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Thoguh posted:

I think that while we are very much undercounting cases currently we are legitimately in a lull, not as low as last summer but still pretty low. What I don’t think anyone knows though is how long it will last. Will BA.2 gently caress us up in April? Or will we dodge this one and not get another big wave until late summer or fall?

Number-wise I don't know if this is exactly like last summer but it sure feels like it. So I'm just trying to enjoy it with the understanding that it won't last. When last summer's lull ended I didn't handle that very well so I'm trying to keep my head on straight this time.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1508075545338294276
Glad we're opening schools

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Given what we know about how long COVID can linger in various parts of the body - even in corpses - could it be that wastewater has become a lagging rather than leading indicator? Like the COVID in the poop we are seeing is just because Omicron likes to live in the gut more than prior variants did?

I'm legitimately asking as someone ignorant of why this could or could not be the case. It just seems from what I'm gathering here that from what we've seen WRT wastewater in prior waves, that seems should be popping off more than they are now even given the CDC's deliberate ofuscation of the data.

Honestly - and I'm not an expert but It seems to me we may end up like what happened when Alpha ravaged Western Europe and not here.

BA2 is over 50% in the Northeast, Wastewater is showing big numbers NYC, Providence, and Stamford - but admissions haven't increased at all. There was a 3 day period at the beginning of march where NY's admissions went from 250 to 1200, but now they're around 250 again.

But it doesn't help that weekend reporting blows and that 600 hospitals routinely don't report covid data on Tuesdays. But, we are open biden and immunity will wane for everyone eoon.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Rauros posted:

my mood has been so much better since i applied to adopt a dog.

We're going to be doing this later this spring or in the summer, my wife really needs one if we're going to keep isolating liking this. I'm scared of course because it means I'm going to have to go outside every day, but I think we can make it work COVID-wise between the respirators and vets here still doing curbside. The rescues we've contacted said they're willing to do the meet and greet outside and distanced and masked, and the home visit via Zoom.

I miss dogs. It would be so nice to have an elderbull here on the couch with us reminding us that not everything in the world is horrible.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I think wastewater spikes are still a pretty good leading indicator. take a tour through the dark red counties pillowpants just posted. everything I've checked so far, about 2 weeks ago cases flatlined or have been rising.

you can see this at the regional aggregates as well

of course even the 7 day case numbers are hosed now, with Florida reporting only every other week lol. can't wait for other poo poo holes to follow

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Haven't listened yet but sounds like a potentially good podcast.
https://twitter.com/YouAreLobbyLud/status/1507972153362513920

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

"I've been cancelled!" = "publicly expressing my horrible opinions had negative consequences and I don't like it!"

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I wouldn't suspect wastewater becoming a lagging indicator versus a leading one, but I do think it's completely plausible that different strains result in different amounts of GI tract viral shed, so that the absolute amount of virus in wastewater does not correlate to the number of cases in any consistent way. So an uptick in wastewater testing would still warn of a rising wave, but you can't determine anything about the size of the wave just by looking at the wastewater numbers.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

mdemone posted:

everyone read this book right now

I am halfway through this book.

Is this thread slowing down because of the new cdc guidelines, Ukraine, or something else?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Greg Legg posted:

Is this thread slowing down because of the new cdc guidelines, Ukraine, or something else?

covid's over

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

alg posted:

They’re gamers, they actively desire death

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Greg Legg posted:

This is the COVID Victory and Applebee's Southwest Chicken Bowl appreciation station

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

open biden :shepicide:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

honestly a little annoyed, a big respirator can easily be turned into Space Marine cosplay, and that would rule, c'mon son!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Greg Legg posted:

It's because we are running blind and can't trust the numbers. Trying to read the tea leaves from the bottom of an Arizona bottle.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
i for one am still keeping track of the data but there’s no point in making big long posts if there’s nothing happening.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1508137117150552068

quote:

Some 200,000 children are off school in England due to coronavirus, the Education Secretary said, as he promised more details on rapid testing this week when universal free provision is stopped. Nadhim Zahawi said further information about lateral flow tests will be set out on Friday, when mass free testing will end in England.

The Government has said free tests will only be made available to the most vulnerable but an education union has said removing free access when Covid-19 cases are high “feels irresponsible”, while a health expert labelled it “a disaster” for NHS workers. There has been confusion within the NHS as to whether tests will remain free for staff, with the NHS Confederation saying workers may be forced to pay about £50 a month if they have to fund the mandatory tests themselves, as it called for clarity over the issue.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i wonder if the study controlled for reinfections

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
Something I noticed with your last post pillowpants, you’re just not a logistics guy so like. All the spikes you were calling out were for Spring Break locations. I was doing Midwest gas jet and diesel before and now I’m doing jet for all airports west of the Rockies so maybe I can contribute some context if that would help

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:46 on Mar 4, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Tulip posted:

honestly a little annoyed, a big respirator can easily be turned into Space Marine cosplay, and that would rule, c'mon son!

Take a respirator... well, Secure click and faceplate would fit it entirely well with an Admech cosplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

my 90 year old obese Italian grandma was euthanized via morphine in a hospital in New Jersey in March 2020 because they weren’t putting ppl like that on ventilators at the time. my boomer aunt gave it to her while visiting

sometimes I think about what her last moments must have been like but for the most part I force myself to not think about it.