Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if you would love to wear GNU shirts there's probably a therapy program or toejamholics anonymous that you can find a drop-in session for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh my god what is wront with people

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

it's more of a glory keyhole really

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Doom Mathematic posted:

As good an excuse as any to repost this listing of GNU project logos. Tag yourself, I'm the two copulating turtles.

hook em horns?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a bunch of those "gnu projects" seem to just be included because they use the GPL at all. for example the R language has its own foundation at this point and aside from using the GPL from early on i don't think it's ever had any affiliation with GNU so seems like a bit stolen valor to list it as a "gnu project" - particularly given that i don't think it would have been nearly as successful if it had been involved with gnu as an organization

and then other ones like dia have been dead for years. i'm kinda bummed about that because I used to use dia a lot, now i just use some "diagrams.net" electron trash to do the same things :argh:

also lol at including icecat on there, isnt that just a copy of firefox with trademarks crossed out with crayon? i thought debian had finally relented on their bullshit and went back to using firefox so i assume that's just for stallman cultists at this point

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Progressive JPEG posted:

a bunch of those "gnu projects" seem to just be included because they use the GPL at all. for example the R language has its own foundation at this point and aside from using the GPL from early on i don't think it's ever had any affiliation with GNU so seems like a bit stolen valor to list it as a "gnu project"

claiming credit for other people's work by attaching the word "gnu" to it is literally goal #1 of gnu

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Doom Mathematic posted:

As good an excuse as any to repost this listing of GNU project logos. Tag yourself, I'm the two copulating turtles.

as good a reason to never touch gnu as I've never seen

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sweevo posted:

claiming credit for other people's work by attaching the word "gnu" to it is literally goal #1 of gnu

see e.g. gnu/linux

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

see e.g. gnu/linux

Ehh I've gotta give that one to Gnu actually, especially at the time the rant was written.

Gnu provided basically the entire command-line userland - all the way down to /bin/sh and /bin/ls. Linux was only a hobby kernel without it, with no way to -use- that kernel to do anything.

Gnu provided Linux's bash, coreutils, gcc, grep, sed, awk, find, make, binutils, gdb, autotools, etc. For the first 20 years of Linux's life or so, there was literally no way to even compile it without using gcc.

We lump it together and call it all "Linux" even though that's only the name of the actual kernel itself. I'd be salty about it too if I was Richard Gnu Plus Stall Man

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 27, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you do not, under any circumstances,

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

unironic allow me to interject in the pos, I thought i’d never see the day

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

Ehh I've gotta give that one to Gnu actually, especially at the time the rant was written.

Gnu provided basically the entire command-line userland - all the way down to /bin/sh and /bin/ls. Linux was only a hobby kernel without it, with no way to -use- that kernel to do anything.

Gnu provided Linux's bash, coreutils, gcc, grep, sed, awk, find, make, binutils, gdb, autotools, etc. For the first 20 years of Linux's life or so, there was literally no way to even compile it without using gcc.

We lump it together and call it all "Linux" even though that's only the name of the actual kernel itself. I'd be salty about it too if I was Richard Gnu Plus Stall Man

the only thing of even distant relevance here is gcc, and of the time when the fragments of the rant was new the relevant version of gcc was the non-gnu egcs. even before that it would probably make more sense clamoring for calling it cygnus/linux.

linux, like us all, would have been better off had autotools not existed

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
the layman's understanding of an operating system exists pretty much entirely in userland

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

gcc would have been way better off without stallman stallmanning in every couple years to make sure that gcc doesn't work with any external tooling. some of that tooling could be proprietary, so just in case we better keep those errors unparseable!

having clang breathing down their necks has been a net positive in that it finally gave the gcc team motivation to tell stallman to gently caress off

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This is magneto's helmet, not a keyhole, what is happening

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Poopernickel posted:

those are all programs that run on the OS - the OS called linux

Windows is not called Paint/Windows just because MS Paint runs on it

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

those are all programs that run on the OS - the OS called linux

Windows is not called Paint/Windows just because MS Paint runs on it

What you think of as Windows is the probably the desktop UI, file explorer, browser, control panel, etc. None of that is the kernel. MS swapped out the kernel a couple of times and nobody gave a poo poo.

The kernel (currently called "NT") isn't what anybody means when they talk about Windows. Also nobody would know what you meant if you told them your computer ran Mach (the macos kernel).

Before it kind of became a generic word, Linux was only the name of the kernel - not the name of anything user would interact with. GNU provided all the rest of it back in the early days.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 27, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and yet gnu without a kernel is nonfunctional, prompting the development of linux, with people calling the resulting product "linux" since that was the key differentiating feature.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I recently discovered that that quote is not actually from RMS, but his response to it might be even better:

https://www.gnu.org/gnu/incorrect-quotation.en.html

quote:

It is OK to call it “GNU” when you want to be really short, but it is better to call it “GNU/Linux” so as to give Torvalds some credit.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

and yet gnu without a kernel is nonfunctional, prompting the development of linux, with people calling the resulting product "linux" since that was the key differentiating feature.

yep, for sure - it's 100% understandable. Also all modern distros ship a ton of non-gnu software but they all come with Linux.

I'm just sayin that I get why the stall man is salty about it.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

on the contrary i think linux should get the recognition for being willing to integrate with software written in gnu style

code:
if (foo)
  {
    if (bar)
      win ();
    else
      lose ();
  }

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that does drive me batty.

i haven't ever worked in a professional code factory so i don't know if this is an acceptable style, but i would write it either of these two ways that feel muuuuch better to me:

code:
if (foo) {
  if (bar) {
    win();
  }
  else {
    lose();
  }
}

if (foo) {
  if (bar) win();
  else lose();
}
alternately
code:

if (foo) {
  bar ? win() : lose();
}

:haw:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 27, 2022

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

that does drive me batty.

i haven't ever worked in a professional code factory so i don't know if this is an acceptable style, but i would write it either of these two ways that feel muuuuch better to me:

code:

if (foo) {
  if (bar) {
    win();
  }
  else {
    lose();
  }
}

if (foo) {
  if (bar) win();
  else lose();
}

yeah that's k&r style. shaggar will be along shortly pump allman style.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i just use whatever style the language-specific autoformatter produces for the record but gently caress gnu style lmao

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i just use whatever seems right at the time and it varies depending on what im working on or when, really

sometimes one way feels good, another time another way feels good

it all works in the end ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bsd knf or bust

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

allman users are all man

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Was it the gnu folks that insisted on using a w32 directory for os-specific stuff because they didn't want to have to describe Windows-specific code as "win"?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

carry on then posted:

let me get in first to say that allman style is the correct style

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

allman style is great for teaching people how to code in languages that use braces

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah most of my code looks more k&r style because verilog uses “begin” and “end” in a lot of places other languages use braces and

code:
if (whatever) begin
   butt.fart(smell);
end
just looks more clear to my brain than

code:
if (whatever)
begin
   butt.fart(smell);
end
but whatever it doesn’t really matter!

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
code:
if (foo) {
  (bar ? win : lose)();
}

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is a fuckin joke right? u having one over on me?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

this is a fuckin joke right? u having one over on me?

I believe you don't normally use braces like that in Haskell because you can use significant white space instead, and everyone always does that, but similar formatting with the separator on the next line is actually used for lists.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 28, 2022

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

mystes posted:

I believe you don't normally use braces like that in Haskell because you can use significant white space instead, and everyone always does that, but similar formatting with the separator on the next line is actually used for lists.

Working in academia rots your brain.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vinz Clortho posted:

Working in academia rots your brain.
Despite that reputation, Haskell is actually used in lots of real world software like PostgREST, PostgREST, PostgREST, and PostgREST

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

yeah allman style hard tabs only is objectively correct. k&r is some linux poo poo that can be resigned to the dumpster

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

k&r style supremacy

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lmao hard tabs. right on brand shaggar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
hard-t indent