Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Just use [title] tags jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hydraulix989 2 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Ah yes, the think of the children argument. This is why other nice things like chemistry sets and science fiction / fantasy books are also banned.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

eimrine 5 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

Short answer: buy the cheapest phone you can find, especially if you can buy it from hands to hands without a post. Second rule is: the dumber the phone the simpler to grok its settings and the less likely it will bother you in unexpected situations.
Longer answer depends of what features you need: j2me (for reading HN if needed), qwerty keyboard (for writing long comments on same resource), jack 3.5mm (for radio/mp3/lossless depends of smartness), quality of camera if any, longevity of body, maybe something unique like that feeling from opening/closing a 8800. Somebody cares about GSM-900 which works best in deep woods. Today before buying smartphone we are reading about how much RAM and pixels it has and that's all. But 15-20 years ago choosing a phone was really interesting process.
Consider having several chargers especially if you are going to use something not common and not famous by longevity like thin Nokia's port. Maybe you want to solder USB-A instead of a socket with an integrated power supply to your proprietary charger socket (if 5V) to let your dumbphone be charged from powerbanks, for my Nokias with thin charger it works perfect. Avoid sh~ like Sony Ericson's FastPort (which is required for charging) and rare memory like MMC and prefer MicroUSB for charging and MicroSD for storage. For example, I love listening podcasts so my memory cards doesn't live for a long time if every week I need to refill all the memory with new files - but MicroSD costs next to nothing. Consider having extra batteries or maybe several phones having similar battery, especially if you love hiking. For example, some old Samsungs can use battery from smaller Samsungs (with spacer made from anything) and Nokia's BL-5C is one of the most popular batteries ever.
Nokia 1280 has jack 3.5 for a radio, a lighter (poor but better than nothing), its body is not much weaker from 3310 but replaceble without a screwdriver with several colors from grey to purple. Battery is not BL-5C but its SIM slot works decent even with cut simcards. So let this dumbphone be my go-to answer.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

matti posted:

it is good technical writing hygiene, yes. but maybe unnecessary when you are writing a post on-line

sierra on-line

I got nothing, but it's the only thing "on-line" makes me think of

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

the preceding comment, which prompted someone to ask him about his phone recommendation, is quite something too:

quote:

eimrine 8 hours ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Not smart but clever? The return of 'dumbphones'

I absolutely love dumbphones and stopped use smartphones since they began to require SIM to be cut, possibly for partly imcompatibility with dumbphones.

noooo not my credit-card-size simcardino

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lobsterminator posted:

Graycat has to be a troll. The main giveaway for me is the acronym explanations.

NTFS (new technology file system)
graphical user interface (GUI)
PDF (portable document format)

A real person would not need to keep explaining these standard things. Unless they are a hackernews weirdo.

lol this post is so good. perfect brain.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

the preceding comment, which prompted someone to ask him about his phone recommendation, is quite something too:

noooo not my credit-card-size simcardino

amazing, full size sims haven’t been used since 1g phones like the original startac

mystes
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

amazing, full size sims haven’t been used since 1g phones like the original startac
You know they don't actually mean a credit card size 1ff sim

They probably mean mini or micro

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i love those big sim bois tho. chunky tech ruled.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

kitten emergency posted:

i love those big sim bois tho. chunky tech ruled.

i generally quite like sims, some issues aside (mostly down to the standards process moving too slowly) it is such a nicely physically separated security border, one of the few which most people both engage with and broadly understand.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FCKGW posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A HIERARCHICAL FILE SYSTEM INTO THE SLOT. ITS NTFS (NEW TECHNOLOGY FILE SYSTEM) AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE OS (OPERATING SYSTEM). I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I DO A LOT OF TREE WALKING, SEARCHING, COPYING, DELETING, ETC.

lomarf

mystes
May 31, 2006

stuu99 1 day ago | root | parent | next [–]

Man I'm sorry to tell you, but your post is not even wrong. There are no good reasons for broken applications, when you have any client-server exe running on your PC you've lost your privacy and they've hacked your PC because you can't audit the code.

Game companies have been exfiltrating data on massive scale and gives them 100% access to everything we say and do, I'm sorry to tell you but we live in a global panopticon that you idiots enabled.

There's zero reason for any application not to be local on your PC, you don't grasp in an internet enabled world your PC is a chip in a global sized motherboard that content companies and intel and AMD want replaced and turned into a dumb locked down consumer device.

TPM is about putting copyright cops on your PC's, and all your beautiful local exe's will be signed binaries in the future, no more dumping MP4's from netflix because they will be end to end encrypted and signed.

Windows 10/11+ is them changing how binary executables work going forward.

From 1960 to roughly 2010, all cpu's were using plaintext binaries, microsoft and the media and content industries desperately want to change this to defeat piracy. They will not give up on locking down your PC, they can finally turn files and give them rivalrous qualities by way of encryption, internet and digital signing. Just like consoles.

You don't seem to grasp we've lost the battle and are too stupid to realize, the future of hardcore gaming on the PC was supposed to be level editors, dedicated servers and local applications, not logon screens, user acccounts and stolen videgames.

Because every "software as a service game" is entirely downloaded to your PC making a mockery of the concept, if Dota 2 and league require a $2000 computer with the latest 3D video card.

If I didn't live with morons these games would be normally coded PC games like we had in the late 90's and early 2000's before the stolen RPG apocalypse (Mmmo's).

MMO's were just rpg's with their networking code stolen out of the game and sold back to you as some "new type of product" the whole thing was a scam, to defraud gamers out of game ownership because the game industry desperately wanted to kill the local infinitely copyable binaries. You don't seem to get this was part of the game plan to kill "piracy" buy literally stealing the game from their customers. Can't easily pirate it (during its period) without the files that used to come inside the game.

That' why modern multiplayer that used to be embedded in the exe is stolen out of most modern games while games from the 90s' you can still play multiplayer because its embedded inside the program.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mystes posted:

stuu99 1 day ago | root | parent | next [–]

Man I'm sorry to tell you, but your post is not even wrong. There are no good reasons for broken applications, when you have any client-server exe running on your PC you've lost your privacy and they've hacked your PC because you can't audit the code.

Game companies have been exfiltrating data on massive scale and gives them 100% access to everything we say and do, I'm sorry to tell you but we live in a global panopticon that you idiots enabled.

There's zero reason for any application not to be local on your PC, you don't grasp in an internet enabled world your PC is a chip in a global sized motherboard that content companies and intel and AMD want replaced and turned into a dumb locked down consumer device.

TPM is about putting copyright cops on your PC's, and all your beautiful local exe's will be signed binaries in the future, no more dumping MP4's from netflix because they will be end to end encrypted and signed.

Windows 10/11+ is them changing how binary executables work going forward.

From 1960 to roughly 2010, all cpu's were using plaintext binaries, microsoft and the media and content industries desperately want to change this to defeat piracy. They will not give up on locking down your PC, they can finally turn files and give them rivalrous qualities by way of encryption, internet and digital signing. Just like consoles.

You don't seem to grasp we've lost the battle and are too stupid to realize, the future of hardcore gaming on the PC was supposed to be level editors, dedicated servers and local applications, not logon screens, user acccounts and stolen videgames.

Because every "software as a service game" is entirely downloaded to your PC making a mockery of the concept, if Dota 2 and league require a $2000 computer with the latest 3D video card.

If I didn't live with morons these games would be normally coded PC games like we had in the late 90's and early 2000's before the stolen RPG apocalypse (Mmmo's).

MMO's were just rpg's with their networking code stolen out of the game and sold back to you as some "new type of product" the whole thing was a scam, to defraud gamers out of game ownership because the game industry desperately wanted to kill the local infinitely copyable binaries. You don't seem to get this was part of the game plan to kill "piracy" buy literally stealing the game from their customers. Can't easily pirate it (during its period) without the files that used to come inside the game.

That' why modern multiplayer that used to be embedded in the exe is stolen out of most modern games while games from the 90s' you can still play multiplayer because its embedded inside the program.

:2bong: like, mmo networking code isn't real maaaan :okpos:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

i've eaten enough toe jam to more or less agree with all of those ideas but way to sound like an azeroth sovereign citizen man

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

NihilCredo posted:

i've eaten enough toe jam to more or less agree with all of those ideas but way to sound like an azeroth sovereign citizen man

yeah if you're old enough to remember 90s computer gaming you should be old enough to not embarrass yourself talking about it

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

astrobe_ 15 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

FWIW, that's one reason why I turned away from commercial games and play almost only FOSS games.

Yes, they don't have an income so they are at least 10 years behind on tech and generally have less good assets (textures, shaders, sound) (there are exceptions), yes, the player base is more on the 10,000s at best than on the million (an obvious problem for multiplayer games), but on the bright side their decisions are not tainted by profitability or business model considerations.

For instance, to replace Rocket League, OP could try the soccer mode of SuperTuxKart.

:3:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

FWIW, that's one reason why I turned away from commercial games and play almost only FOSS games.

Yes, they don't have an income so they are at least 10 years behind on tech and generally have less good assets (textures, shaders, sound) (there are exceptions), yes, the player base is more on the 10,000s at best than on the million (an obvious problem for multiplayer games), but on the bright side their decisions are not tainted by profitability or business model considerations.

For instance, to replace Rocket League, OP could try the soccer mode of SuperTuxKart.

lol i respect the dedication to the cause

matti
Mar 31, 2019

lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

telling my son this is sekiro and offering him the controller.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Maximo Roboto posted:

this is probably more like 20 years behind rocket league
https://youtu.be/RhDn-cBph3k

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Someone should do a foss gaming let's play

mystes
May 31, 2006

On an article about someone who tried unsuccessfully to launch a startup for a website that would recommend different OTC painkillers to people based on their symptoms or something:

kdkirsch 57 minutes ago | next [–]

I’m a physician. I really appreciate Tom’s enthusiasm, but I think that enthusiasm led him to overestimate the significance of the problem. Moreover he didn’t really understand for whom he was building this product. At first he thought it would be a consumer product. But he realized that consumers would not pay/subscribe and later learned that advertising wouldn’t work. Next he thought doctors would pay because “Doctors have money, right?” Again paying for this or any service is an expense. Its value has to justify the expense. We pay hundreds of dollars a year for UpToDate because it’s valuable. Cochrane is the gold standard for meta-analyses and they’re publishing for topics that are of clinical significance. Ultimately I doubt anyone is going to change their practice based on this product because there isn’t a compelling reason to do so. My major observation is that Tom tried to make a healthcare startup with negligible understanding of healthcare: the players, how payments work, how physicians practice, and what patients want/need. By not understanding the environment you’re not going to be able to understand the Problem which means your Solution will probably fail. This is a mistake repeated by most of the engineer founded health startups I’ve read about. Finally for anyone wondering I usually recommend ibuprofen 800mg every 8 hours and Tylenol 1000mg every 8 hours. This isn’t medical advice, just something you may find from a quick search.

BoiledCabbage 33 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

I agree. And what Tom didn't realize is that Doctors aren't financially incetivized to give better healthcare. There is n money in it for them. If anything return visits because of a partial prior resolution make more money.

Not clearly I'm not saying that doctors try to give bad diagnoses for profit (because they don't). But beyond a certain minimum bar, and on a purely financial basis, improving diagnostics or prescription accuracy doesn't not make a medical practice more money. And the responses here illustrte that.

Now, whether that's the right/wrong incentive strucgture is a whole nother discussion. And I personally can't think of something better than what we currently have - but it is a truth of the current system.

antattack 2 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

He actually received a clue from 'Susan', one of the doctors he demonstrated his application to: "in many cases I’ll just prescribe what I normally do, since I’m comfortable with it"

He should have sold his tool to sales and marketing at pharmaceutical companies who would use it to convince doctors to prescribe their product.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

you can get mailorder adderall from startups what use fake doctors now, let me get percocets the same way.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
there’s a foss might & magic clone that doesn’t completely suck. well, at least not more than might & magic games all kinda suck

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

rjmccall posted:

there’s a foss might & magic clone that doesn’t completely suck. well, at least not more than might & magic games all kinda suck

please clarify whether you are including Heroes of Might & Magic in this statement

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mystes posted:

On an article about someone who tried unsuccessfully to launch a startup for a website that would recommend different OTC painkillers to people based on their symptoms or something:

there's what, four different kinds of those in this country? (asprin, tylenol, ibuprofen, naproxen)

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Asleep Style posted:

this is probably more like 20 years behind rocket league
https://youtu.be/RhDn-cBph3k

like getting invited to hang out with the quiet religious kid and having to play weird lovely jesus knockoff video games except the parents are foss zealots

matti
Mar 31, 2019

openttd is good

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

matti posted:

openttd is good

:hmmyes:

openrct2 is also quite good

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Doc Hawkins posted:

yeah if you're old enough to remember 90s computer gaming you should be old enough to not embarrass yourself talking about it

Why would I be embarrassed by playing doom?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Are there good OSS games that aren't reimplementations of classic games? Being able to knock off an existing game isn't exactly high praise

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i suppose it depends on what you mean by "open source", since e.g. byond is a closed source engine but there are several open-source games built for it like space station 13

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Xarn posted:

Are there good OSS games that aren't reimplementations of classic games? Being able to knock off an existing game isn't exactly high praise

Well... Nethack? That was the last big OSS gaming success.

That's the hard think about OSS, because games need a pretty singular vision. So it's possible for a random online team to remake a classic game, but it's harder for someone to rally a group of random people to build their vision.

And if you make a game by committee it will turn out a mess.

Even Nethack had a pretty solid foundation of Hack to build on.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
netrek is foss what more do you need

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

the pixels in that player sprite are loving killing me

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

rjmccall posted:

well if we're including clones i've been enjoying OpenMW a lot lately

Xarn posted:

Why would I be embarrassed by playing doom?

i didn't mention playing

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Xarn posted:

A bunch of roguelikes. Nethack mentioned above, but there's Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Cataclysm, KeeperRL, etc.

That said--being able to reimplement an existing game, in a way that's worth playing, is absolutely high praise. It's really, really hard to make any game of more than moderate complexity even if somebody writes out the design document for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

linux is the greatest foss clone of all