Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

no that's me checking my weight after eating like a pig since christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

2022 will be the year of big gains

Hell yeah, it was my first day back in the gym since break and I’m ready to gain gain gain

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i hosed up my balance so I've been doing yoga and ab exercises over break. noticable improvements have been gained

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

and also doing drum warm up exercises using both feet have been fun and helped

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i sprained my ankle stepping off the treadmill

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

finally FINALLY my wrists feel flexible enough for me to focus on my legs during front squats, i can start increasing weight

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I hit 100 rides on peloton today. 96 days after we got it. down 15 or so pounds. guess I’ve got the right type of brain worms that pedaling with a leaderboard is the thing that gets me moving.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

welcome linux thread posters, get out there and do poo poo

my current dilemma is that i specifcally chose a gym walking distance but far (1 mile, to get light cardio in) and now its cutting into my time

can't wait til its warmer so i can bike again

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i'm not riding in sub-50 weather cause i'm not buying a ton of poo poo to prevent wind sheer from freezing me instantly

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Share Bear posted:

i'm not riding in sub-50 weather cause i'm not buying a ton of poo poo to prevent wind sheer from freezing me instantly
its a 7 minute ride and the "ton of poo poo" is a pair of $20 gloves and a pair of $15 leggings

you also won't freeze in 50 degree weather. you'll be fine.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

im currently riding 4 miles in 28-35F weather wearing that stuff and doing just fine. go outside!

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

its cold! i just wanna lift without crying at 15mph beforehand (and so i walk)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

KoRMaK posted:

im currently riding 4 miles in 28-35F weather wearing that stuff and doing just fine. go outside!

i don't give a poo poo what works for you, cold wind + riding or running makes my ears pressurize worse than any plane ride ever has. i'm not suffering through an hour of pure agony because you decide i need to.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

train that poser to the linux thread

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This is now the new linux thread.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

carry on then posted:

i don't give a poo poo what works for you, cold wind + riding or running makes my ears pressurize worse than any plane ride ever has. i'm not suffering through an hour of pure agony because you decide i need to.

that's fine but i wasn't talking to you i was talking to the person who only had a mile to go.

lol as if i can make decisions for you. if you don't give a poo poo then why post and engage in a social thread? i don't need to be attacked either. anyway....

GO OUTSIDE! or don't, it's up to you and what you're comfortable with

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 29, 2022

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Share Bear posted:

its cold! i just wanna lift without crying at 15mph beforehand (and so i walk)
its okay, do whatever works best for you!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

have only had a few climbing sessions under my belt and managed to send my first v4's since the car accident last year. took longer than i needed to to restart my membership but feel like im getting strength back pretty quick. dont feel like i lost much in the way of technique, on account of it being bad beforehand anyways. :toot: feels good.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i got a tonal in december and it's been great. welp cya

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Instead of exercising I decided to become a breathatarian

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If you can lift more than 1 bag of pet food or cat litter you're a freak.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
it takes an hour to bike a mile what the heck

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i've been doing stuff with resistance bands 4-6 time a week and it's worked better than any weightlifting plan I've done before in growing my upper body

now i look like a small guy who doesn't lift, which is a big improvement over looking like I have some kind of degenerative illness

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

This is the 2021 lifting thread everyone still posting in here is trespassing

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

just got back from the gym, feelin pretty swole bro

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Truman Peyote posted:

just got back from the gym, feelin pretty swole bro

this but 2 hours ago

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

tennis elbow is back, which means i have to not lift, which is unacceptable

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My trainer is having me do all these extremely slow tempo reps (stuff like a squat with a 3 second descend and a 3 second hold at the bottom), and while I do think that it is helping my strength it is also just the least pleasant thing in the world. I've got my monthly meeting set for this Friday, and I'm going to see about getting more conditioning built in to the program, since that is definitely where I'm weakest.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

carry on then posted:

tennis elbow is back, which means i have to not lift, which is unacceptable

I am not a doctor etc. but have you tried the theraband flexbar for this?
https://www.theraband.com/theraband-flexbar-resistance-bar.html

I would also get a lacrosse ball and roll out your triceps real good

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

c lift s: pre covid my baseline for deadlifts was 3 plates (315lb/142.8kg, meaning the minimum i would do in a set of 3) but lockdown + omicron + holiday binging set me way back to start over in january

we’re back baby, wish i could improve my grip without using tape/powder though, i get mad calluses on my palms

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Asleep Style posted:

can confirm these are great

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Share Bear posted:

c lift s: pre covid my baseline for deadlifts was 3 plates (315lb/142.8kg, meaning the minimum i would do in a set of 3) but lockdown + omicron + holiday binging set me way back to start over in january

we’re back baby, wish i could improve my grip without using tape/powder though, i get mad calluses on my palms

hell yes

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Share Bear posted:

I solved my deadlift grip issues by using a hook grip. It hurts like all hell, but I've never had it fail. (I'll go for a mixed grip if I'm going for a max, and that feels like a holiday after the hook grip.)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mixed grip ftw

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah i mixed grip i do one set left hand over and one set left hand under, ill look into the hook grip

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Share Bear posted:

yeah i mixed grip i do one set left hand over and one set left hand under, ill look into the hook grip

Hook grip is great, it's what I learned deadlifting with. I was told especially at the higher weights that you have a pretty high chance of tearing your bicep tendons with a mixed grip.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Asleep Style posted:

i'm interested, how do you know how much resistance you need?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

AnimeIsTrash posted:

no that's me checking my weight after eating like a pig since christmas

same

i took off like november to end of february from doing much exercise and i can feel it in my pants lol. not enough they don’t fit but they’re definitely tighter than i liked

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

carry on then posted:

i'm interested, how do you know how much resistance you need?

I only have the blue one, which is the most resistance. I don't think starting with blue is a good move, but I also don't have direct experience with the others. from googling a bit it looks like yellow is for grandmas or people with really bad tendonitis. I'd probably start with red if it's bad enough that you've stopped lifting entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Share Bear posted:

drat, nice