Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Flopsy posted:

Lets be honest here: pokemon is gay as all hell but they're never going to outright say it. Trying to portray Wallace as a "ladies man" made me loving howl laughing even back in the day though. Him and Steven just guys being dudes.

Selene and Lillie's whole thing made SuMo just absolutely adorable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Flopsy posted:

Lets be honest here: pokemon is gay as all hell but they're never going to outright say it. Trying to portray Wallace as a "ladies man" made me loving howl laughing even back in the day though. Him and Steven just guys being dudes.

Calling her 'yuri' but everyone is just gals being pals with the character writer saying wink out loud.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Shiroc posted:

Calling her 'yuri' but everyone is just gals being pals with the character writer saying wink out loud.

Man they all do that. It's the most Japanese thing ever to drop the biggest wink wink nudge nudges but never say it out loud. Like imagine watching Promare and thinking the main ship was Galo x Aina

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Shiroc posted:

I know that I've brought up the general idea before but the Pokemon Card Game also supports that the real plot of Sword/Shield was the budding romance between Yuri and Marnie

I just found out what failing a knowledge check in real life looks like.

It's googling "Yuri and Marnie," To find out who these two characters are.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Been catching up to the pokemon anime lately, about to get to the new OP. Journeys is just weaker than SM for me, but it's like one in 4 episodes is super my jam. Gengar's whole little arc was delightful, the recent circus episode was super good, a Team Rocket episode where they find out Butch and Cassidy retired (extra good because it doesn't do the "TR are terrible bad guys, but they'd be good nice guys" and instead shows they're still fuckups in their early 20s)

In my catchup, I've gone through both sets of specials for BDSP and then Arceus.
BDSP Special: interesting story of timespace getting hosed and pokemon being unbirthed in a mirror dimension... but it's a story about timespace getting hosed and pokemon being unbirthed in a mirror dimension happening over 2 episodes, like 40 minutes total. Most of it is just kinda explaining the concepts and actors in it.

Arceus: this one's just kinda nothing. 4 "short" episodes, 20 minutes for the first one and then 17 for the other 3. It's a cheaper set of episodes than the regular show because it's like specifically for amazon prime japan. Episode 1 is Goh and Ash go on a date at a festival about Hisui.. Then the Team Galactic members want to get Cyrus back because he fell in a timespace hole in the anime like twenty years ago. So they catch a Heatran and have it pump lava to the fire plate. The whole rest of the special is that Heatran gets hosed up from doing this and is going up spear pillar, and the gang's gotta try and stop it.

It gets to the point where Heatran has so much power it'll set off basically a nuclear explosion, so to stop that our heroes... watch god come down from heaven and just put a giant orb of water that defuses the nuclearness. Ash and everyone kinda save the day, but i'm really checked out when part of it is god deciding to actively help but not actively help Too much?

The only neurons that fired were when Brock showed up and ripped his shirt off to reveal he's still loving sculpted as per SM and also he owns his own private jet.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

MorningMoon posted:

Been catching up to the pokemon anime lately, about to get to the new OP. Journeys is just weaker than SM for me, but it's like one in 4 episodes is super my jam. Gengar's whole little arc was delightful, the recent circus episode was super good, a Team Rocket episode where they find out Butch and Cassidy retired (extra good because it doesn't do the "TR are terrible bad guys, but they'd be good nice guys" and instead shows they're still fuckups in their early 20s)

In my catchup, I've gone through both sets of specials for BDSP and then Arceus.
BDSP Special: interesting story of timespace getting hosed and pokemon being unbirthed in a mirror dimension... but it's a story about timespace getting hosed and pokemon being unbirthed in a mirror dimension happening over 2 episodes, like 40 minutes total. Most of it is just kinda explaining the concepts and actors in it.

Arceus: this one's just kinda nothing. 4 "short" episodes, 20 minutes for the first one and then 17 for the other 3. It's a cheaper set of episodes than the regular show because it's like specifically for amazon prime japan. Episode 1 is Goh and Ash go on a date at a festival about Hisui.. Then the Team Galactic members want to get Cyrus back because he fell in a timespace hole in the anime like twenty years ago. So they catch a Heatran and have it pump lava to the fire plate. The whole rest of the special is that Heatran gets hosed up from doing this and is going up spear pillar, and the gang's gotta try and stop it.

It gets to the point where Heatran has so much power it'll set off basically a nuclear explosion, so to stop that our heroes... watch god come down from heaven and just put a giant orb of water that defuses the nuclearness. Ash and everyone kinda save the day, but i'm really checked out when part of it is god deciding to actively help but not actively help Too much?

The only neurons that fired were when Brock showed up and ripped his shirt off to reveal he's still loving sculpted as per SM and also he owns his own private jet.

drat Brock :eyepop:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That looks like some poo poo you would see out of an 80's cartoon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Eh, I find the best way to enjoy Pokemon anime is the smaller offshoot series like Twilight wings and the like. The main series is too tied to merchandise and marketing for me and they've long since given up having a rational plot. Sometimes the whole the characters never age and everything stays the same thing doesn't bother me but with Pokemon and the plethora of storylines and characters they have now it just feels like such a gigantic waste to cling to Ash's coattails endlessly. I know why they do it but it just bums me out. We could be getting a series like Detective Pikachu and actually have some fun poo poo like Pokemon being interviewed as witnesses to a kidnapping or even exploring the mafioso themes of team rocket. Instead it's all gotta catch em' all but more aimless.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 29, 2022

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MorningMoon posted:

I want the toy of this as soon as it's released.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Plot is for losers.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Took a whole bunch of tries but I finally beat the "wielder". Lost several attempts to Shadow Force alone. While I was frustrated at first, having to plan which Pokemon to use when was kinda satisfying! It was more of a puzzle than a battle, nice change of pace.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Baller Ina posted:

Took a whole bunch of tries but I finally beat the "wielder". Lost several attempts to Shadow Force alone. While I was frustrated at first, having to plan which Pokemon to use when was kinda satisfying! It was more of a puzzle than a battle, nice change of pace.

Trick to it is using moves that never miss for example the pulse moves.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Plot is for losers.

Tell me again how thrilling the build up to Chairman Rose was again?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flopsy posted:

Tell me again how thrilling the build up to Chairman Rose was again?

"Leon's late for dinner, let's storm onto private property and beat up its employees!"

"The chairman is in the middle of an important meeting, so let's have a loud battle complete with kaiju smackdowns six feet away from him."

"Yo I know this champion match means a lot to literally millions of people but I'm gonna start the apocalypse - oh gently caress oh poo poo it's too strong why did we torture a radioactive alien and turn its body into the regional gimmick no wonder it's mad heeeeeeelp!"

:allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yes the plot for SwSh was bad and if everything with Rose was dropped and it just went straight to champion fight and then postgame story it would have been better.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Every time Leon brought up "but that isn't for 1,000 years" I kept waiting for Rose to respond with "That is what we have been telling people to prevent a panic. Our reserves will actually only last another 6 months" or something. It wouldn't have solved all the problems. Or even most of them. But at least some of the character motivations would make sense.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The manga is getting to the end of SwSh and the plot reads a whole lot better just by taking out the 1000 years part and having Rose keeps the plan a secret from everyone so it's not like Leon agrees to help but just to wait a couple of days.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Boba Pearl posted:

I just found out what failing a knowledge check in real life looks like.

It's googling "Yuri and Marnie," To find out who these two characters are.

Marnie is the cute punk chick with the slappin battle theme. If you remember a single Swish character it should be her.

I don’t know who Yuri is but it had better be the canon name for the aggressively Scottish female player trainer and I will be angry if corrected on this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Marnie is the cute punk chick with the slappin battle theme. If you remember a single Swish character it should be her.

I don’t know who Yuri is but it had better be the canon name for the aggressively Scottish female player trainer and I will be angry if corrected on this.

Unfortunately her name is Gloria apparently (assuming you’re talking about the female MC that is)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gloria's Japanese name is Yuri, yes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Gloria's Japanese name is Yuri, yes

Ah, nevermind in that case

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Marnie is Mary in Japan which feels better as a 'legal name but her punk name is Marnie' than being what everyone calls her.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The fake leak about Sw/Sh's plot being about Rose illegally doping Leon's Charizard would have been really stupid and also much better than what we got

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

JRPGs are at their best when they’re extremely stupid, they are at their worst when they take themselves seriously

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zore posted:

The fake leak about Sw/Sh's plot being about Rose illegally doping Leon's Charizard would have been really stupid and also much better than what we got

Yeah that would have been really stupid but still fun somehow. you could even do what I said and have an unwinnable fight against Leon and the big plot event is finding evidence that Charizard pissed hot

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like my games to emphasize how all CEOs are unstable villains who would destroy the world out of at best ignorance even if they seem nice.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It would have to make sense in-universe to somehow raise Charizard's stats beyond its limits. Therefore Rose would have had to create radioactive bottle caps.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Shiroc posted:

I like my games to emphasize how all CEOs are unstable villains who would destroy the world out of at best ignorance even if they seem nice.

Pokemon out here with the realest loving takes. And no this isn't sarcasm fascinatingly Pokemon has a history of touching on really hard topics a lot of other games don't even want to acknowledge. The plot line about workers burning themselves out physically and mentally and losing their families while having positive corporate slogans shoved down their throats in ORAS was rough. Worse was encountering a one of the remaining ones and finding out they're suicidally depressed about the whole ordeal.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MorningMoon posted:

It would have to make sense in-universe to somehow raise Charizard's stats beyond its limits. Therefore Rose would have had to create radioactive bottle caps.

Tournament official: So you're telling me that this man's Charizard is exactly level 255?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hrist posted:

Tournament official: So you're telling me that this man's Charizard is exactly level 255?

The twist was that Leon's Charizard was in fact not a Charizard, but was a Charizard 'M, as Missingno is finally made canon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hrist posted:

I really feel bad for all the pokemon forced into early retirement when Hoenn was let into the league and suddenly all their maxed EVs were illegal

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Flopsy posted:

Pokemon out here with the realest loving takes. And no this isn't sarcasm fascinatingly Pokemon has a history of touching on really hard topics a lot of other games don't even want to acknowledge. The plot line about workers burning themselves out physically and mentally and losing their families while having positive corporate slogans shoved down their throats in ORAS was rough. Worse was encountering a one of the remaining ones and finding out they're suicidally depressed about the whole ordeal.

For as terrible as Swoshi's endgame got I don't think I'll ever forget the guy who's lifesavings you took storming Rose's tower.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Flopsy posted:

That was even in Gen 6, where you also had Kalosians making idle conversation about how great it is to have unionized labor and government-mandated maximum work hours and minimum vacation time that even a humble office worker got to enjoy. It made for a pretty stark contrast.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That was even in Gen 6, where you also had Kalosians making idle conversation about how great it is to have unionized labor and government-mandated maximum work hours and minimum vacation time that even a humble office worker got to enjoy. It made for a pretty stark contrast.

GameFreak workers throwing in a “HINT HINT WINK” at their employers.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I have reached lysandre labs or whatever the secret team flare base is. Going into gym seven I had Fan Rotom and Mega Abomasnow as new teammates but abomasnow kind of sucks wrt move pool and typing and defensive stats so I dumped it back in the box for nidoqueen. Maybe I’ll swap it back in when it’s e4 time.

Hoping I luck out and get either heatmor or Durant on the next route. Would be nice to have a fire option

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Got a free code here for Pokemon Legends: Arceus, it's from the Uk so it may or may not work elsewhere.

E2010SUFE735P948

If you take it and get it to work make a reply so people know not to bother trying once claimed.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I ran into a level 78 alpha Gengar in a distortion and stupidly fainted it by overestimating how much of a hit it could take. Level advantage isn't a big thing in PLA! But then I ran into another level 78 alpha Gengar in another distortion later on in the same expedition, and managed to catch it. The game took pity on me.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hot take:

Bede was a better and more interesting character than Marnie. :colbert:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Marnie is what I, personally, would want out of a rival in the series at this point, but she had 3 total scenes so she's not exactly good.

I like the idea of 'professional rival aiming for the same championship, who holds no personal grudge but aims to win it'. I don't really care for Bede/Silver style 'I hate your guts and am a huge rear end in a top hat' and the whole 'rival is your friend' thing is just overplayed at this point.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vandar posted:

Hot take:

Bede is good imo. Shame he drops out of the story after gym 5 but he's got a solid arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Vandar posted:

Hot take:

This isn't a surprise since they've had far more experience writing male rivals with interesting personalities and character arcs then female characters in similar roles.