Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Boywhiz88 posted:

Memories of Murder was great. High recommendation. Being aware of the change in color made it hard to ignore. Definitely very… green. At the same time, I felt like it accommodated the film well.

That movie is a serious bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Memories of Murder is sooooooo goooooood. They way all the characters are treated in that movie is really special. It’s also wild to see how much of Bong’s filmmaking style shines through even in his second major movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sat through all four hours of Cleopatra and it's very decidedly not bad. Obviously it looks great, but near the end you do start to feel it dragging just a little (but not nearly as much as you'd expect, it's just at the end really when they have to show every single detail of a war that's already lost.) And despite the runtime I do feel there are a few moments where it's not clear why some characters are doing what they do. Still, man, the sets you can build when money is apparently no object.

The cast is full of "Oh wait it's that guy" moments, too.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watched the new release is Miller’s Crossing. Looks good, and as this was my first viewing, no comment on the cut changes. But all the new extras were interesting. They are all various interviews with the coens on noir, Barry sonfield on shooting films with them, their composer and a few others.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
If anyone wanted more Ryusuke Hamaguchi... Wheels of Fortune and Fantasy, his other 2021 movie, is now streaming on Criterion. It has three short dramas that doesn't overlap and are all very good.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 15, 2022

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Check your emails btw, they sent out a $10 credit last week if you were a charter Criterion Channel member.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Turns out they sent me two! One in the middle of March and one last week. Too bad their flash sale was a little over a month ago.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Been trying for 3-4 years to see India Song and 30 minutes into it they take it off the channel lol

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

Been trying for 3-4 years to see India Song and 30 minutes into it they take it off the channel lol

I hate when that happens. Streaming services should give a grace period on that stuff.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Zogo posted:

I hate when that happens. Streaming services should give a grace period on that stuff.

I drunkenly complained in their support form and they put it back on so everyone go enjoy India Song it's a banger

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
July Releases:

i've seen summertime more than any other david lean movie, it's needed an upgrade for a while.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Now every time I get the Criterion announcement e-mail I'm going to be slamming a knife and fork on the table and yelling "HEROIC TRIO"

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

RichterIX posted:

Now every time I get the Criterion/Netflix announcement e-mail I'm going to be slamming a knife and fork on the table and yelling "TALL GIRL"

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

RichterIX posted:

Now every time I get the Criterion announcement e-mail I'm going to be slamming a knife and fork on the table and yelling "TANK GIRL: DIRECTORS CUT"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Looking forward to the twist w Raging Bull UHD is that it’s colorized.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Boywhiz88 posted:

Looking forward to the twist w Raging Bull UHD is that it’s colorized.

The Ted Turner Collection

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I've noticed that a few of the Japanese releases have that title band like Drive My Car. Is there a significance to it? It's really similar to the Nikkatsu Noir boxset.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That little band tends to come on a lot of physical media in Japan, whether you buy physical CDs, books, movie discs, almost everything that is media has that little slip that you slide off it. It usually will have the big single that’s on the CD, list special features if it’s a movie disc or have a critic’s rating on it, assorted info for books and sometimes just the barcode for easier scanning. It’s a nice little touch.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
adding to that great description, they're called "obi", like the kimono belt

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If anyone is very impatient, Barnes and Noble is doing 30% off Criterion 4K

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I see the channel has added a lot of Junzo Itami films. I love Tampopo. Any other of these that people recommend?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

checkplease posted:

I see the channel has added a lot of Junzo Itami films. I love Tampopo. Any other of these that people recommend?

Absolutely watch The Funeral.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

they’re all very very good. when you’re done with that track down Sweet Home, which he produced

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

checkplease posted:

Supermarket Woman is great

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

if you're impatient, Criterion is doing 30% this month

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Any particular favorites for the Films of Endearment collection?

Resurrection - 1980
Raggedy Man - 1981
Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean - 1982
Frances - 1982
Losing Ground - 1982 (<-I’ve seen this one and loved it)
Personal Best - 1982
Yentl - 1983
Bless Their Little Hearts - 1984
Falling in Love - 1984
Desert Hearts - 1985
Murphy’s Romance - 1985
Smooth Talk - 1985 (This one was great too. Nostalgic and dark with a great Laura Dern performance based off a Joyce Carol Oates short)
‘night Mother - 1986
Something Wild - 1986
Violets Are Blue… - 1986
The Dead - 1987
A Cry in the Dark - 1986

Desert Hearts has always sounded good to me and the Altman I’ve never heard of but am always willing to give him a chance.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 8, 2022

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Something Wild is pretty great.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Watched the first half of Tree of Wooden Clogs last night and man, this has to be one of the most distracting Ritrovata restorations I’ve ever seen. Color of Pomegranates was pretty bad too but this is so much murkier, and the teal tint borders on comical in a few scenes, it’s like a Mario 64 water level. I know Criterion doesn’t necessarily have control over this but good lord.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Something Wild is pretty great.

Yeah, this. Other than Smooth Talk (which I loved), it's the only movie I have seen on the list. It's fantastic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Something Wild is an all-time favorite for me.

It's probably my most-watched Criterion blu-ray. That or Blow Out.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Watched the first half of Tree of Wooden Clogs last night and man, this has to be one of the most distracting Ritrovata restorations I’ve ever seen. Color of Pomegranates was pretty bad too but this is so much murkier, and the teal tint borders on comical in a few scenes, it’s like a Mario 64 water level. I know Criterion doesn’t necessarily have control over this but good lord.

Well, they could have done what Arrow did. The latter's edition looks amazing. (Also, be sure to get The Legend of the Holy Drinker.)

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 16, 2022

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/criterion/status/1526242787905118209?s=21&t=dOx7xTrV7Yp9mzhzE-PqRw

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Frownland and Daddy Longlegs are both great. Daddy Longlegs is the accurate depiction of a Manhattan lovely dad to Squid & the Whale's accurate depiction of a Brooklyn lovely dad.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 17, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

goddamn, Buck and Preacher sounds fantastic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/JoannaNewSum41/status/1529178871190302720?s=20&t=FZPy9jYVJVai_JoExVkhyA

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Can't believe I'm watching The Poseidon Adventure on the channel, but here we are

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

why not. it’s good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Marathoned the WKW boxset over the last couple days with only 2046 to go. I’ve never seen it before and am excited!

Of the ones I hadn’t seen before so far Fallen Angels is my favourite. It might be my favourite visually and the hitman story is phenomenal. The one about the mute guy is a bit more mixed but still has some great highlights.

The restorations have all been really nice and the only one I think is worse in this new version is In the Mood for Love. Matrix tint just takes so much away for me. But the bitrate on the older criterion blu is significantly lower so it’s still a legit trade-off.

Oh yeah I also need to watch The Hand. Which disc is that on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Marathoned the WKW boxset over the last couple days with only 2046 to go. I’ve never seen it before and am excited!

Of the ones I hadn’t seen before so far Fallen Angels is my favourite. It might be my favourite visually and the hitman story is phenomenal. The one about the mute guy is a bit more mixed but still has some great highlights.

The restorations have all been really nice and the only one I think is worse in this new version is In the Mood for Love. Matrix tint just takes so much away for me. But the bitrate on the older criterion blu is significantly lower so it’s still a legit trade-off.

Oh yeah I also need to watch The Hand. Which disc is that on?

Watch The Hand before 2046. It's a much lighter, quick affair, and is maybe the weakest film in the box. You don't wanna end on it.