Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

wyoak posted:

66 straight GIRs is incomprehensible to me

I had a front nine once where I hit every green and I was so loving psyched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

I had a front nine once where I hit every green and I was so loving psyched.

I played in a scramble recently where we hit 17 of 18 greens as a team and we were ecstatic.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

wyoak posted:

66 straight GIRs is incomprehensible to me

If I get 2 consecutive GIRs I consider it cause for celebration.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Chambo's swing finally caught up to him.

Golf Digest posted:

Until last summer, the ceiling on DeChambeau’s quest for unprecedented distance seemed a physical one. Limitations were imposed by his equipment or his body. But the laws of gravity and diminishing returns remain stubbornly in play: Already this year, he skipped the Sony Open with a wrist injury, jacked up his back at the Farmers Insurance Open and withdrew after his opening round at the Saudi International, citing hand and hip problems. (He blamed those injuries on a fall, “not from hitting it far.” He added, “I know people won’t believe me, but that is the truth.”) He even nixed his defense of the API (Arnold Palmer Invitational), confessing: “Although I can hit some golf balls, it’s not comfortable.”

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 28, 2022

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
20 years from now, he's going to tell people "The titanium is poo poo, my doctors suck" when his robot knee gives out

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Won a set of Titleist 690.MBs 2-PW in a raffle (I spent $20 on tickets so not a bad deal). They should be here on Thursday and I can’t wait to hit them.

They need new grips for sure, gonna paint fill the lettering too and then new ferrules when I can catch a BB&F drop that I like.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Daric posted:

Won a set of Titleist 690.MBs 2-PW in a raffle (I spent $20 on tickets so not a bad deal). They should be here on Thursday and I can’t wait to hit them.

They need new grips for sure, gonna paint fill the lettering too and then new ferrules when I can catch a BB&F drop that I like.

Titleist blade gang :whatup:

Josh Lyman posted:

TITLEIST TITLEIST TITLEIST TITLEIST

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
You and me buddy, the last samurai

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Beautiful clubs but I’d be afraid to game those.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Kirios posted:

Beautiful clubs but I’d be afraid to game those.

Why?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Haywood Golf has started doing fittings at their Vancouver location for only $50. I've heard their clubs are comparable to the TM P7-series and they look gorgeous.

Plus for $50 I might give it a shot anyways just to see what my club stats are.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

MustardFacial posted:

Haywood Golf has started doing fittings at their Vancouver location for only $50. I've heard their clubs are comparable to the TM P7-series and they look gorgeous.

Plus for $50 I might give it a shot anyways just to see what my club stats are.

I was all set to purchase the Haywood MBs (I still may) until I won this auction late last week. They're gorgeous, well priced, and the ability to get fit at their location is certainly a big attractor. I had to do a fitting with the new Mizuno blades while my fitter was looking at the spec sheet for the Haywoods and making adjustments. He's going to die when I roll in with a 20 year old set of Titleist MBs instead.

To all of those people thinking you're not good enough to play blades, you are. Forgiveness is a marketing ploy, all it does is making your mishits go long and left. A mishit with a blade will leave you short and right which is preferable 99% of the time. The thin look of the club is just visual deception, it won't actually affect your swing. Don't limit yourself to ugly golf clubs because that's what you think you need to get better. Buy those blades, be free.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Daric posted:

nice clubs but my hands sting now

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Had a fun round today. I normally hit driver on just a couple of holes at this course, but decided to hit driver on every hole where a good driver wouldn't screw me, so 12 times (Driver reaches water on a couple of holes). Made me rethink some of my more conservative choices on this course, as I never ended up just closed out on a hole, even if on a couple my normal 3/5W would have been just as good.

Rainy day, so first tee time, by myself. Personal best 1:50 minutes for 18. And I did not hurry, and played two approach shots on about half the holes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

First round of my year tomorrow. Current forecast at tee off: 48*, sustained 20mph winds with gusts up to 40. Should be fun.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I don't want to get anyone too excited, but, Tiger is at Augusta and apparently playing practice rounds and walking the course. He has until friday to officially withdraw.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
So many holes at my local courses leave you dead in the water if you're long of the green. Never understood the obsession with not wanting to be short unless there's an obvious reason not to be.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The sweet spot of those isn't a dime - it's a pin needle. I always love how blades look but I'm simply not good enough to consistently hit the center of the club face. I'm only a 9 HCP Daric! :smith:

Also Masters is coming up soon - are we going to do a betting pool among us again?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
How do I measure the length of an installed driver shaft? Top of the hosel to the butt end of the grip?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

How do I measure the length of an installed driver shaft? Top of the hosel to the butt end of the grip?
This is a surprisingly complicated question because different manufacturers measure in different ways on both ends of the club. In other words, there are different ways to measure the bottom and different ways to measure the top. The top measure can be the raw shaft, include the grip cap, or include the grip cap but deduct some amount for the thickness of the grip cap, except that grip caps also vary in length.

Lots of variation here:

A decent rule of thumb is to sole the club and measure along the shaft with one end being the ground and the other end to the top of the grip cap (not dome) and subtract 1/8".

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 30, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

Anno posted:

First round of my year tomorrow. Current forecast at tee off: 48*, sustained 20mph winds with gusts up to 40. Should be fun.

This was indeed fun. For being my swings of the year I felt like I flushed the ball all day. And thank god because man was the wind a monster. I normally hit a 5* about 200 and today I hit one 230 and 165, both well struck. Still didn't score amazingly because my short game touch just isn't there yet but for the first time in a few years I'm pumped for the upcoming season.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
31km/h winds here today, just went and played a full 18 holes. Shot 84, easily lost 4 strokes to wind with my favourite being the drive that got pushed right up under a tree.

Absolute treat though, playing in the wind is actually super fun as long as it's not cold. I also feel like for the first time since I started playing again I've gotten everything "under control", which is to say, even the wildest, shittiest of my shots don't put me in deep trouble, water, or out of bounds anymore.

edit; also had the first ever 180 degree lipout ever for birdie. Bout 5 foot putt, sent it, started going to pick it up then it spun in and right back out of the hole

abigserve fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 31, 2022

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Cleaned out the primary golf bag. I'll start this season with about a dozen balls, probably 100+ tees, a couple of ball markers and three or four green repair tools, one set of rain gloves, two towels (one clean, one "dirty" for glasses and clubs, respectively, bottle of motrin, one set of prescription drugs (if I forget to take them before I get to the course), two AA batteries, and about ten bucks in ones.

Miscellaneous chemical hand warmers, sun screen and chapstick.

At the end of the season I'll have closer to three dozen balls, 150+ tees, fifty bucks or so (I'll randomly stick a twenty in), no Motrin, no prescription drugs, no batteries, no hand warmers and no chapstick.

Anyone else have that kind of beginning/end setup?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You should use the clean towel for your glasses

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Couple dozen balls, maybe a dozen tees because I have a fancy dual-use non-breaking tee that I didn't lose in 3 years of using it almost exclusively. Repair tool, ball mark that clips to my hat. Current edition of the Rules of Golf. Some good-luck scorecards from my best rounds cap it all off.

I normally need to repack balls halfway through the season :v:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i just bring all the balls and tees i can fit in my bag and hope i pick up more than i lose. sometimes it works out but i'm wary of picking up random balls i see because the very first time i went golfing i got scolded for picking up a ball that turned out to be a mishit from an adjacent hole. other stuff includes towel, sunscreen, water, beer, vape (nicotine), vape (weed), ball marker/mark repair tool, a glove (rarely used), pepper gun (fortunately never used)

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
My new (to me) 690.MBs showed up this morning and they're gorgeous. I'll be doing paintfill tonight, grips should be here Monday, and then I'll be checking the BB&F site twice a day to catch a ferrule set that I like. Can't wait to hit them. I have to wait until my wife leaves this afternoon to hit them in my sim (it's in the room directly above her office right now) but we're going to play tomorrow so I should get a chance to see how they are on the course then.

The 2 iron should be here in the next week or so as it was coming from a different place and then I'll take them to my fitter to get them lie/loft adjusted. Should be a fun season!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Played my first 9 holes with my new (to me) srixon z785s. Even as a 20 handicap, they feel amazing. Shot a net par on a very, very wet course.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Daric posted:

My new (to me) 690.MBs showed up this morning and they're gorgeous. I'll be doing paintfill tonight, grips should be here Monday, and then I'll be checking the BB&F site twice a day to catch a ferrule set that I like. Can't wait to hit them. I have to wait until my wife leaves this afternoon to hit them in my sim (it's in the room directly above her office right now) but we're going to play tomorrow so I should get a chance to see how they are on the course then.

The 2 iron should be here in the next week or so as it was coming from a different place and then I'll take them to my fitter to get them lie/loft adjusted. Should be a fun season!

If you aren’t playing off a 48* PW you’re doing it wrong. :colbert:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Went to have dinner with some colleagues, showed up a bit early and saw there was a golftown in the same complex. Went in and started trying out all of the new putters, mostly just killing time. Picked up a TaylorMade Spider Tour 2020, the new Spider X, and the new Two Ball to compare against each other.

Dropped 6 in a row with the Spider Tour and walked straight to the checkout.

I don't think the wife believed me when I told her it followed me home :v:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I kept seeing Bridgestone balls on my course, so I decided to try some out. I took their little "ball selector" thing online and picked up some of the Tour B RXS.

Turns out I really need the spin I get from a Pro V1x. Wedge shots were sailing an extra 10 yards and bouncing off the green. I had a terrible round and wasn't even looking for wayward balls when they flew out anymore.

It also turns out I don't care for a soft ball anymore. Felt like a dull thud on every shot.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I carry my clubs, so try and keep weight down. What are the batteries for?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Saul Kain posted:

I carry my clubs, so try and keep weight down. What are the batteries for?

Rangefinder. It doesn't stay in the bag, it stays in the car with my shoes, but I keep batteries for it in the bag.

I'm going to walk more this year (push cart) and that's going to need a new bag. My cart bag is heavy as hell, even pushing it.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Anybody else gradually move from one shot shape to the next and wish you had the other one back every time you switch? Yeah, me either. :magemage:

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

:getin:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Rangefinder. It doesn't stay in the bag, it stays in the car with my shoes, but I keep batteries for it in the bag.

I'm going to walk more this year (push cart) and that's going to need a new bag. My cart bag is heavy as hell, even pushing it.
Just lmao if you aren't using a Ping Hoofer

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

Just lmao if you aren't using a Ping Hoofer

1. Hate stand bags.
2. 5.5 pounds? Jesus, I'm looking for light weight.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Never felt older than Tirico just saying that the co-leader of the ANWA was born in March 2006

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

torgeaux posted:

1. Hate stand bags.
2. 5.5 pounds? Jesus, I'm looking for light weight.

https://golfhq.com/ping-hoofer-craz...2061dd56c9c7621

Craz-e lite is 3 lbs. It’s great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

That looks nice. Still a stand bag, but I may have to accept that.