Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DuckConference posted:

facebook pays a lot, can't have us lower classes getting uppity and threatening the ivy league rich kids and their old money, so you better not take the job because it's unethical

facebook, famously created by a rags-to-riches kid without any trust funds and without a harvard pedigree at all and staffed exclusively with blue-collar workers who don't have ivy pedigrees at all, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pie Colony posted:

facebook isn't a moral company but i feel like that's the norm, not the exception, for companies. like oh, you made your thing really addicting and compulsive? congrats on your fat raise and promotion at any tech company in the world. basically there's no moral faang, and from all accounts facebook is a good company _for the employees_, so i'm not gonna hate on someone going to work there

and not using whataboutism to deflect from their misdeeds or anything, just saying people here have too much smoke for it

FB's addiction and compulsion issues are the modern day tobacco equivalent and that is the least of the issues for the company. There's only a few products I can think of that are remotely equivalent and none* of them to the same level or have the compounding issues that FB does.

* Maybe TikTok, but I wouldn't work for ByteDance either.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not going to bother shaming qhat for the job given my own work history and the realities of the world, but lol if they ever post anything even distantly resembling a defense of fb again.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CarForumPoster posted:

man I gotta defend qhat AND say someones being too hard on facebook? I dislike posts from both those things!

I (very briefly) worked on some poo poo at a defense co once that I have some regrets over. facebook aint poo poo compared to things that are designed to or do kill thousands of innocents like smoking or bombs. I dislike and no longer use facebook, there are plenty of good things that came from it, perhaps at a cost to society that is unpalatable.

building and renting out the worlds most powerful propaganda engine to the worst people on earth is not identical to but is just as bad as building bombs.

I dont post in this thread but I popped in to say that I view working at Facebook to be immoral unless you're there to deliberately sabotage it. It's been apparent for many years who upper management is and they wont have their minds changed by people inside. You may not be pushing people into the ovens, but you're alphabetizing the victim lists.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
if you can get a job offer at Facebook you can probably get a job offer for somewhere that isn't the propaganda wing of the dudes who want to kill trans kids

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

kitten emergency posted:

if you can get a job offer at Facebook you can probably get a job offer for somewhere that isn't the propaganda wing of the dudes who want to kill trans kids

yeah, it's a great tool to squeeze more money out of a place where you would actually want to work

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

rotor posted:

building and renting out the worlds most powerful propaganda engine to the worst people on earth is not identical to but is just as bad as building bombs.

I dont post in this thread but I popped in to say that I view working at Facebook to be immoral unless you're there to deliberately sabotage it. It's been apparent for many years who upper management is and they wont have their minds changed by people inside. You may not be pushing people into the ovens, but you're alphabetizing the victim lists.

and to be clear, this isn't hyperbole. facebook is to the myanmar genocide as ibm was to the holocaust

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Are folk seriously discussing the objective morality of working for different companies in a thread dedicated to getting payed hundreds of thousands of dollars for little work?

I do love a little holocaust comparison in the interviewing thread.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Do you think all work is the same? This thread is about how you can make 250k writing an app for pizza delivery so why on earth would you work at loving facebook

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

because they’ll pay $500k if a pizza delivery app will pay 250?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

besides, if you work in the meta verse part surely you’re actively sabotaging Facebook’s ability to do bad stuff so it’s actually good

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

because they’ll pay $500k if a pizza delivery app will pay 250?

well, the actual terms we're talking about from qhat is 270k usd and you can deffo get 270k usd at a lotta places

not w/ vancouver hq's, tho

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

So will Netflix but they don't make children depressed on purpose as an experiment

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'm trying to interview with bae systems, any tips for the interview?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hobbesmaster posted:

besides, if you work in the meta verse part surely you’re actively sabotaging Facebook’s ability to do bad stuff so it’s actually good

This is a fair point though lol

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

facebook, famously created by a rags-to-riches kid without any trust funds and without a harvard pedigree at all and staffed exclusively with blue-collar workers who don't have ivy pedigrees at all, right?

those types at the top probably quite upset that they have to pay regular-rear end people plutocrat money to cj the metaverse

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Don't ask them to define collateral damage.

I have actually worked for BAE in the dim and distant past, wasn't a great place to work then.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Aramoro posted:

Are folk seriously discussing the objective morality of working for different companies in a thread dedicated to getting payed hundreds of thousands of dollars for little work?

Half the people here work for the other letter in FAANG. Lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Get me into the metaverse.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Aramoro posted:

Yes. The idea that I can't find facebooks actions immoral because i'm paid well strikes me as odd. Do only baristas get to think facebook is evil?

quote:

I do love a little holocaust comparison in the interviewing thread.

when the shoe fuckin fits

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

since we did not provide explicit accurate steps for each and every possible nuance and context on how to minimize the harm you do to the world while mocking fb, it's an idiot choice SO GO GET PAIDDDD

i made 7mil last year so i am also writing this to gatekeep people (for every possible bigoted reason) from my tech job

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

rotor posted:

Yes. The idea that I can't find facebooks actions immoral because i'm paid well strikes me as odd. Do only baristas get to think facebook is evil?

You absolutely can, it's just that every FAANG company and most other companies paying big numbers are also immoral, just in different ways. Is Facebook worse than Apple? Probably, both are still bad though.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Aramoro posted:

You absolutely can, it's just that every FAANG company and most other companies paying big numbers are also immoral, just in different ways. Is Facebook worse than Apple? Probably, both are still bad though.

Sure, every company is immoral but some are far far moreso than others. Last I checked, Netflix was not facilitating genocides.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah you can draw the line in the sand wherever you want and if it's just $BIG you're after you don't have to do war crimes and make a propaganda horror machine to do it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah you can draw the line in the sand wherever you want and if it's just $BIG you're after you don't have to do war crimes and make a propaganda horror machine to do it

Exactly. Facebook doesnt pay THAT MUCH more than its competitors. If you can get a senior engineer job at fb, you can do it most other places and make more or less the same money. The "but i need money" argument doesnt hold water. Simply get your money elsewhere. Or just say "i dont care/prefer to remain deliberately ignorant."

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i always think of facebook's position wrt. myanmar as basically radio mille collines

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

actually the fact that nothing is perfect means that everything is the same. i am good at math and logic, i have a big engineer brain

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

AnimeIsTrash posted:

unhelpful yet topical anecdote: a college buddy of mine quit bae specifically because, quote, "it became too weird to work on products with the word 'kill' in the name"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

there's no ethical consumption under capitalism so I bought a few hundred ivory chess sets because what's the difference between that and wood

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i feel like shooting for figgies is good, but at some point you need to stop and think whether you really need all that money and whether your day job is uhh helping the world in generally or not or maybe there’s a job you could do that is less contributing to global or local problems

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

id never heard of bae until those two posts. it's basically british raytheon, right?

i did an interview at raytheon a few years ago. it wouldve been a super cool job but it basically would've been working on (digital) weapons. luckily the logistics of the job (move to DC area, better-than-i-was-making-but-not-eye-watering figgies) meant that the choice to decline the offer was pretty easy. im glad it wasn't facebook or something offering 600k to do the same job, its easier to not have to really face those choices

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'd rather optimize for a <40 hr work week rather than a >200k pay packet at this point

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

raminasi posted:

unhelpful yet topical anecdote: a college buddy of mine quit bae specifically because, quote, "it became too weird to work on products with the word 'kill' in the name"

The way to ace that interview is to ask if you can bring your own brown child cutout to blow up in the combat simulations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The way to ace that interview is to ask if you can bring your own brown child cutout to blow up in the combat simulations.

aren’t they English? just drop a line about finishing the job in Northern Ireland and you have your in

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

i'd rather optimize for a <40 hr work week rather than a >200k pay packet at this point

you dont have to choose between the two

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

ok i'm in a real odd situation and i don't know what the gently caress is going on.

recruiter posted:

I hope you’re having a great day so far! I chatted with [Hiring Manager] and the rest of the team and they all really enjoyed meeting you.

Unfortunately at this time, [Hiring Manager] is now no longer able to hire in NY as we currently do not have the resources available.

We are currently looking to hire a manager in NY first and then providing them with the resources necessary to build out a team there so not sure if you are willing/able to wait but just wanted to share this update and get your thoughts.

Thanks [KD]!

me posted:

Thanks for the update! I enjoyed meeting the team as well. Everyone was great to talk to and seemed great to work with. Could you provide more clarity on what this means for my interview process?

recruiter posted:

Thanks for checking! In terms of your interview process, it effectively is on pause at this point.

If you are considering other roles, we will definitely not stop you from interviewing but for now, we’d like to keep you warm while the dust settles on our end for New York.

Thoughts on this?

like thoughts on what? did i pass the interview and eventually have an offer coming? do i have to interview with the new nyc hiring manager?

i need to know more to have thoughts dude.

what do i say back? cause i'm not handling this well.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh they just completely don't have their poo poo together and don't know what to tell you

say "OK, thanks for the transparency" and pretend you got a rejection. they may or may not hit you up with an offer for a job, or an offer to continue the process, in the next week/month/whatever but basically it sounds like the recruiter doesnt know wtf is going on and it's kind of a shitshow

it sucks man, i'm sorry

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You aren't getting an offer anytime soon from the sounds of it. Keep looking for other jobs

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
congrats, ur the NY manager now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

they know i have a job and am not in a rush. why not just reject me and move on? it's just so loving odd because i said i would be open to relocation for the right offer and the team is still remote... so why this focus on nyc now? i have so many questions.

y'all are right. i should just say "sure reach back out when you know more and i'll let you know what's up with me."