Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sometimes jobs are just poo poo shows. my old job went on a hiring freeze for a year right after I referred a friend and he started interviewing. he definitely would have gotten an offer if they didn't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
comparing fb to the holocaust or even weapons companies is exactly what i was talking about. like fb/ig/wa has some baseline amount of value. my friend went from being broke as poo poo to being a "content creator" on ig for example. i use ig to look at animal photos while i wait for the subway and wa whenever i travel

the rise of computer mediated communication was going to happen with or without fb the company. i'm also not gonna pretend that my work has much more value, and i don't think anyone else here in big tech should either

btw to that one guy, netflix absolutely experiments on engagement lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

they know i have a job and am not in a rush. why not just reject me and move on?

because you were accepted and then some sort of corporate drama happened and now ???

the recruiter isn’t going to reject if some VP could come in and make some firm decisions tomorrow that settles whatever the drama is and then finds out that the NY hiring has to start over again from zero

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Pie Colony posted:

comparing fb to the holocaust or even weapons companies is exactly what i was talking about. like fb/ig/wa has some baseline amount of value. my friend went from being broke as poo poo to being a "content creator" on ig for example. i use ig to look at animal photos while i wait for the subway and wa whenever i travel

the rise of computer mediated communication was going to happen with or without fb the company. i'm also not gonna pretend that my work has much more value, and i don't think anyone else here in big tech should either

do you honestly think "experiments on engagement" is the same as "facilitating genocide?"

the rest of your post boils down to the dril tweet about how its impossible to tell if drunk driving is bad or not

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

they know i have a job and am not in a rush. why not just reject me and move on?

it sounds like their intentions changed in the middle of your interview cycle but want to keep you in the loop at some point in the unspecified future for when they might be hiring again. Which is like a 80% rejection but not 100%.

They might also be fishing for a willingness to relocate to NY.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

KidDynamite posted:

they know i have a job and am not in a rush. why not just reject me and move on? it's just so loving odd because i said i would be open to relocation for the right offer and the team is still remote... so why this focus on nyc now? i have so many questions.

y'all are right. i should just say "sure reach back out when you know more and i'll let you know what's up with me."

Old hiring manager wanted/tried/intended to hire you but couldn't. Could be the manager didn't know wtf or something out of their control.

They may actually get back to you but I'd forget about it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tk posted:

They may actually get back to you but I'd forget about it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The way to ace that interview is to ask if you can bring your own brown child cutout to blow up in the combat simulations.

talk about your home lab

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

rotor posted:

it sounds like their intentions changed in the middle of your interview cycle but want to keep you in the loop at some point in the unspecified future for when they might be hiring again. Which is like a 80% rejection but not 100%.

They might also be fishing for a willingness to relocate to NY.

hiring manager and most of the team is in pittsburgh so relocation would have been there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

they know i have a job and am not in a rush. why not just reject me and move on? it's just so loving odd because i said i would be open to relocation for the right offer and the team is still remote... so why this focus on nyc now? i have so many questions.

y'all are right. i should just say "sure reach back out when you know more and i'll let you know what's up with me."

I would bet it’s an internal budgeting problem based on their reply. Team A has no more budget for additional headcount but there is going to be a team B so they want to keep slightly engaged in case that happens.

I would absolutely believe you’re applying to the company I work for which is this level of disorganised, except we’re hiring for the Atlanta office not the NY one.

Treat it as a rejection for now.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

it's apple.

i just want to know if i passed because i can't take more hits to my confidence.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

it's apple.

i just want to know if i passed because i can't take more hits to my confidence.

apple would just tell you if they rejected you. this sounds like you passed but someone lost headcount, which happens.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

rotor posted:

apple would just tell you if they rejected you. this sounds like you passed but someone lost headcount, which happens.

Yeah almost certainly this. This has happened to a lot of businesses recently as they restructure. We had headcount for 300 which got changed to 150 then up a bit but only for new teams in specific locations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
you definitely passed, if you hadn't you wouldn't have been told all that other stuff. something happened on their end to gently caress the hire up and the recruiter doesn't know if or when it will be fixed.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PCjr sidecar posted:

talk about your home lab

They won't appreciate my meth lab.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pie Colony posted:

There is a massive difference between experiments on engagement and medical research without consent and without properly ethical guidelines.

asur fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 31, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A while back my team interviewed a guy, liked him, and went to made an offer but the company instituted a hiring freeze before we could extend the offer. Things like this happen sometimes.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

asur posted:

There is a massive difference between experiments on engagement and medical research without consent and without properly ethical guidelines.

this is different. this is on a computer

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ultrafilter posted:

A while back my team interviewed a guy, liked him, and went to made an offer but the company instituted a hiring freeze before we could extend the offer. Things like this happen sometimes.

Did you tell them there was a hiring freeze?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm sitting a zoom call with sorority sisters showing everyone a YouTube video of a dude doing a talk sponsored by google about interviewing and I don't understand why the halls of power are gated this poo poo sucks who even wants it who cares

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm sitting a zoom call with sorority sisters showing everyone a YouTube video of a dude doing a talk sponsored by google about interviewing and I don't understand why the halls of power are gated this poo poo sucks who even wants it who cares

well the other options for making serious figgies are to go to plutocrat school or any med school. ironically the weird tech interview dance is probably the easiest way to clear $300k if you’re starting from zero.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just a breakdown after hour 13 of being on camera shackled to computer. I shoulda been a streamer instead.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Did you tell them there was a hiring freeze?

I don't remember. This was about twenty years ago, so the details are fuzzy.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

you dont have to choose between the two

can i add "no baby killing" to the list or is it a pick two sort of situation (i pick <40hrs and no baby killing)

KirbyKhan posted:

Just a breakdown after hour 13 of being on camera shackled to computer. I shoulda been a streamer instead.

jesus christ who the hell is forcing you to do that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

can i add "no baby killing" to the list or is it a pick two sort of situation (i pick <40hrs and no baby killing)

ooh at the least that's gonna depend on which side of the line you consider google on.

i think dropbox pays figgies; i think microsoft/linkedin do as well and should be good on all those fronts. netflix people i know work sane hours but that'd be a far cry from optimizing for minimum work time so probably not in the running.

im sure there are a good grip of fairly boring tech companies in the bay area that'll pay 90-100% of faang but i can't name them beyond the above unfortunately

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sapozhnik posted:

jesus christ who the hell is forcing you to do that

Lern2code bootcamp with a housing stipend, government funding. The requirements have been straightforward easy but ugh, the thing that pushed me over the edge was family member inviting me to her corporate zoom jockey gig where she plays professional development materials and takes attendance. Im getting my first check tomorrow and that should soothe the soul.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
holy poo poo is that a thing these days? python gulag with ‘code will set you free’ on the door?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Achmed Jones posted:

ooh at the least that's gonna depend on which side of the line you consider google on.

i think dropbox pays figgies; i think microsoft/linkedin do as well and should be good on all those fronts. netflix people i know work sane hours but that'd be a far cry from optimizing for minimum work time so probably not in the running.

im sure there are a good grip of fairly boring tech companies in the bay area that'll pay 90-100% of faang but i can't name them beyond the above unfortunately

there's a bunch of bay area tech companies that'll pay >100% of faang. they aren't really the top-paying companies any more.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
netflix stripe databricks splunk box nvidia pinterest dropbox will all pay comparable to fb while you don't need to feel like a sack of poo poo

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I will never forgive Pinterest for messing up image search

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Google let it happen

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

any med school

eventually. first you go into massive debt for tuition, then spend years eating poo poo with a smile while working crazy hours (because that's how people who ran on cocaine did things 100 years ago) for relatively little money. after a few years of this you start making good money, but it's generally still a high-stress job and you still have your significant pile of student loan debt to pay off. never mind that to get into med school to begin with, you are competing with a bunch of hyper-overachievers who decided (or had it decided for them) that they wanted to be doctors when they were 12 and structured their entire lives around that

getting a job touching computers is 100x easier and probably better for your health in the long run

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

is red hat a bad company nowadays? seeing their remote offers in my area

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Penisface posted:

is red hat a bad company nowadays? seeing their remote offers in my area

They're owned by IBM now. Take that as you will.

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 1, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

holy poo poo is that a thing these days? python gulag with ‘code will set you free’ on the door?

Just give 50 vets a Kali vm and point them at the opposition.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They're owned by IBM now. That that as you will.

If you want to talk about Ethics in Who I Get Figgies From, IBM helped Nazi Germany efficiently genocide people. There isn’t a more evil company you could work for in the tech space. gently caress IBM

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

i am a moron posted:

If you want to talk about Ethics in Who I Get Figgies From, IBM helped Nazi Germany efficiently genocide people. There isn’t a more evil company you could work for in the tech space. gently caress IBM

depending on how strict your morals are anyone that has a USG contract is pretty bad! this includes my current employer, but I didn’t have a say in working for them.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

when lehman brothers went bankrupt i instead went to work in south africa, in the actual offices (and organization) where the bulk of the apartheid laws were drafted, then i tired of this and went to work for the german military instead.

what i am saying is; i do hope this historical reading is not how we should be doing ethics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

kitten emergency posted:

depending on how strict your morals are anyone that has a USG contract is pretty bad! this includes my current employer, but I didn’t have a say in working for them.

You didnt have a say? Theres a slavery/indentured servitude provision in basically every US government contract. If you know of a government contractor violating provisions of their USG contract you may be entitled to whistleblower compensation.