Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's April and we're all the fools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There is no April 1 this year, it's march 32nd

This whole year has been a joke.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MA-Horus posted:

There is no April 1 this year, it's march 32nd

This whole year has been a joke.

It's still 2020.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

MA-Horus posted:

This whole decade has been a joke.

One that never, ever ends. :smith:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

"IT'S A JOKE BRO!" Cronos screams non-stop from the edge of the crystalline sphere he inhabits for a century.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The United States Government is functioning well

lololol rofl lmao april fools

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Luca is now president for life

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Luca is now president for life

Please don't give us false hope.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
New Mexico recreational weed sales start today.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Almost three weeks early

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1509887023036964865?t=tu3MSHxBsDg1oQTMNw1E6A&s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
West texas cops must be so hard this morning. I wonder if they'll start the kansas treatment on drivers puttering through their western border. But at least texans can now go somewhere else for their weed other than colorado.

Also Tennessee's weed bill is officially dead for the year. Mississippi's medical weed bill passed earlier this year though, so not all hope is lost. Maybe next decade, TN.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The economy sucks, I guess

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1509871301372137473?t=olFiOME6_xSE68CdakPYKQ&s=19

And everyone's whining about inflation because supply is restricted, demand is through the roof, and $12 haircuts are now an obscene (to my dad) $17.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

West texas cops must be so hard this morning. I wonder if they'll start the kansas treatment on drivers puttering through their western border. But at least texans can now go somewhere else for their weed other than colorado.

Also Tennessee's weed bill is officially dead for the year. Mississippi's medical weed bill passed earlier this year though, so not all hope is lost. Maybe next decade, TN.

Smokable weed is effectively decriminalized in Texas already because it is impossible to field test between legal CBD weed, delta-8, and other legal smokeable weed and illegal thc weed.

If you have any concentrates you're still very much hosed.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Nice! posted:

Smokable weed is effectively decriminalized in Texas already because it is impossible to field test between legal CBD weed, delta-8, and other legal smokeable weed and illegal thc weed.

When I lived there is was effectively decriminalized because more texas have joints than guns. Texas seriously love them some weed

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mr. Nice! posted:

Meanwhile, in Colorado:

Gonna call my drawer the Texas Life Sentence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Gonna call my drawer the Texas Life Sentence.

Arsenal of Democracy :911:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's much better.

3 years ago, that drawer would have been maybe 2 months supply for me. It's probably 9 months at my current consumption rate.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not legalizing allows Texas police to decide who they want to put charges on vs who they don't. I truly believe this is part of the reason many places keep these laws around.

Hell that dumb Kennedy kid in MA was arguing against legalization because it made weed smell not useful to police during stops to justify a search.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

That Works posted:

Not legalizing allows Texas police to decide who they want to put charges on vs who they don't. I truly believe this is part of the reason many places keep these laws around.

Hell that dumb Kennedy kid in MA was arguing against legalization because it made weed smell not useful to police during stops to justify a search.

I just have to ask, was "that dumb Kennedy kid in MA" Justice Kennedy?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pretty sure that's the same rationality keeping it illegal in Tennessee, too. I mean, when Mississippi has got the jump on you on weed laws, it's pretty obvious the laws are being used to oppress certain groups of people.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No checkbox, no vote. :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Every black person in FL smells like pot to cops because it allows them a free search.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

The economy sucks, I guess

for the vast majority of americans, it truly does

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
in actual good news for workers, the unionization vote at an Amazon Staten Island warehouse is continuing, with unionization currently ahead

https://twitter.com/amazonlabor/status/1509910659386990592

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CainFortea posted:

No checkbox, no vote. :colbert:

Always vote checkbox.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Proud Christian Mom posted:

for the vast majority of americans, it truly does

Oh absolutely, I'm just annoyed by people touting how awesome the Donnie economy was pre-pandemic versus today when they're the same-ish if not better. Mostly a media thing about inflation inflation inflation trying to push government into literally not doing more because inflation inflation inflation

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Had a good break there for a bit because of a global pandemic killing millions of people but it's great to hear the austerity wardrums warming up again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
To that anti abortion lady with fetuses in her fridge, the commentary I saw was it’s a really stupid attempt to get arrested with human remains, just making abortion then totally murder!

This lady is going to be mad when she gets charged with breaking and entering, trespassing, larceny if and improper disposal of biological waste.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RFC2324 posted:

I just have to ask, was "that dumb Kennedy kid in MA" Justice Kennedy?

Joe Kennedy III

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/03/30/25976878/the-great-white-nope-joe-kennedy-iii-disqualifies-himself

Article quotes an interview with Ezra Klein, (bolding mine):

quote:

JOE KENNEDY III: So this one, um, this one’s a tough one for me. My views are not do not exactly line up with my own state and it’s something I’m struggling with. I think, look, there’s—when it comes to legalization of marijuana, if that’s something that society has decided that we want to do, fine. I think we’ve got to be really careful about what exactly that means and how we do it. So, we decriminalized it when I was in the court system, when I was trying cases, or shortly thereafter, if I remember the years right, in Massachusetts. When we decriminalized it it actually had a pretty big consequence for the way that Massachusetts prosecutors went about trying cases in terms of—because an odor of marijuana was, at last initially, because marijuana was an illegal substance, if you smelled it in a car, you could search a car. When it became decriminalized you couldn’t do that. So that was the way that we hadn’t—the base case that prosecutors used to search cars for under cover contraband, guns, knives, a whole bunch of other stuff, all of that got thrown out the window. That’s not to say that’s right or wrong, but that is to say that when that went through a public referendum, which is how that law was passed, I don't think anybody had much though to you’re actually gonna change one of the foundational principles for law enforcement that we use in our court system.

2 years later he reversed his position shortly before another election cycle and lost. His position change I believe was entirely due to polling.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Good news!

https://twitter.com/amazonlabor/status/1509934286727749675

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That Works posted:

Joe Kennedy III

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/03/30/25976878/the-great-white-nope-joe-kennedy-iii-disqualifies-himself

Article quotes an interview with Ezra Klein, (bolding mine):

2 years later he reversed his position shortly before another election cycle and lost. His position change I believe was entirely due to polling.

Kennedy was an idiot who thought that the time was ripe to challenge the very popular Senator Ed Markey despite him being old enough that he probably would have retired after his last term and all but passed the reigns over to Kennedy.

Not as big of a blunder as, say, invading Ukraine but it’s up there.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Jen Psaki is shuffling off to MSNBC.

https://www.axios.com/jen-psaki-leaving-white-house-msnbc-a75bdbc6-4c6b-43f9-b406-e104ea3b88e9.html

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/apr/01/po-ferries-criminal-investigations-launched-after-staff-sackings

P&O Ferries fired like 800 crew in the UK last month and has done everything they can to compound on their evil corporation status.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

lightpole posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/apr/01/po-ferries-criminal-investigations-launched-after-staff-sackings

P&O Ferries fired like 800 crew in the UK last month and has done everything they can to compound on their evil corporation status.

I really hope something tangible and punitive comes of these investigations, not mere slaps on the wrist.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

Back when I was in school, I remember it was a debate between the idea that "politicians should do what their districts wanted" versus "politicians should do what they want to do and voters can kick them out if the politician is wrong".

I mention that because the best way for a "doing what my district wants" politician to determine what their district wants is... polling!

And uh... polling has kinda sucked lately :v:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

"politicians should do what their districts wanted"

https://twitter.com/RepDavidEPrice/status/1509898415110598660?t=qHm-3rgnwbAji_CHL0yupQ&s=19

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's April and we're all the fools.

Ain't that the truth.

"House passes bill to federally decriminalize marijuana."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/01/politics/house-vote-marijuana-decriminalization/index.html

posted:

The bill, sponsored by Democratic Rep. Jerry Nadler of New York, will prevent federal agencies from denying federal workers security clearances for cannabis use, and will allow the Veterans' Administration to recommend medical marijuana to veterans living with posttraumatic stress disorder, plus gains revenue by authorizing a sales tax on marijuana sales.
The bill also expunges the record of people convicted of non-violent cannabis offenses, which House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said, "can haunt people of color and impact the trajectory of their lives and career indefinitely."

The April Fools Day prank is that it won't pass the senate. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Wrong Theory posted:

Ain't that the truth.

"House passes bill to federally decriminalize marijuana."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/01/politics/house-vote-marijuana-decriminalization/index.html

The April Fools Day prank is that it won't pass the senate. :negative:

I wonder if the principal opposition comes from alcohol and cigarette MegaCorps that ran the numbers and saw their sales decline in states after pot legalization. In WA state there was something similar when there was a ballot measure to allow grocery stores to sell liquor and while TV ads against framed it as concerned firefighters worried about your kids nearly all ad money against was from liquor wholesalers, while most of the money in favor was from Costco as they'd been feuding with the state liquor board for decades.