Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What was the better of the PS2/Xbox era MKs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Easily Deception.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Haven't gone back like, ever, to see how it holds up but from my memories around the time, MK Deception imho. The story mode is dumb and Shujinko is a thoroughly owned idiot but it's kind of nice wandering around the Realms. Puzzle Kombat is a neat little minigame. The fighting feels less clunky than Deadly Alliance.

e;fb but nice to know I picked the correct one

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Better in what sense? MK sickos seem to think Deadly Alliance is the most playable one in the conventional sense, but they still mostly play Armageddon because it's really busted.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Deception in terms of pure insane content and improvements from Deadly Alliance like tiered arenas with instant stage fatality ring outs and silly stuff like that. It was badass and silly in all the right ways.

I remember I was so hyped for it but only had a GameCube at the time of its announcement, I literally saved up and got myself a PS2 with the internet adapter and everything.

Fuckin’ worth it. I ate that poo poo up.

I mean I would never ever recommend anyone play those games as a serious fighting game, or even casually nowadays, but it was the best MK had been since the original trilogy for my money.

I remember Armageddon being such a huge loving letdown after that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

man i lost track of MK after the n64 3d one

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mode 7 posted:

Haven't gone back like, ever, to see how it holds up but from my memories around the time, MK Deception imho. The story mode is dumb and Shujinko is a thoroughly owned idiot but it's kind of nice wandering around the Realms. Puzzle Kombat is a neat little minigame. The fighting feels less clunky than Deadly Alliance.

e;fb but nice to know I picked the correct one

Shujinko being the most gullible moron in all of fighting games is worth the price of admission alone

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's cool that they just decided to name the new main character "protagonist".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

man i lost track of MK after the n64 3d one

MK4 was so fuckin dogshit lmao

My grandma passed away around the time it came out and my little brother used the final $5 birthday money he got from her to rent it and he was so pissed off and cried

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It really is insane how bad MK4 is, especially when you consider how much later it came out than a lot of its contemporaries - VF3 was out a full year earlier, and Tekken 3 and DOA weren't far behind.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Yeah, MK4 really salted the earth for me on MK for a long while. I think I didn't try another MK game until MK vs DC, which was also bad, and if it hadn't been for Maximilian, I never would have given Injustice a chance. Fortunately I ended up loving it, and that led into MKXL/Inj2/MK11.

Now that I think about it, watching Max has gotten me to play a lot of games I wouldn't have otherwise. KOF14 and Niddhogg are two more games I bought after watching him play them

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I liked MK4 because I played it on a lovely PC and it was all I could play aside from like, VF2 (which was of course the superior game but MK had gore)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's also great how MK Gold was even worse than base 4 (both arcade and home conversions)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It brought us the Quan Chi fatality, so we should be a little grateful.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

The Dave posted:

It brought us the Quan Chi fatality, so we should be a little grateful.

Let's also not forget the greatest arcade ladder ending of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkRvcUn6VM

Also "arright"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/DailyMK4/status/1506993302842884107

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

pretty soft girl posted:

Let's also not forget the greatest arcade ladder ending of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkRvcUn6VM

Also "arright"

Haha holy poo poo that's amazing. Why are they talking like they're dubbing a Chinese Kung Fu movie

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's also great how MK Gold was even worse than base 4 (both arcade and home conversions)

What, how, why?? :psyduck:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Saoshyant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxKbIH2QbJ4

Honestly I think mk4 would be a lot more fondly remembered as stupid hilarious jank if it wasn't the successor to 3 of the most popular arcade games of all time

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 1, 2022

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

MK was always bad I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Medullah posted:

Haha holy poo poo that's amazing. Why are they talking like they're dubbing a Chinese Kung Fu movie

It’s the Mortal Kombat way

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

The initial release was so buggy that they had to re-release it with bugfixes and a "Hot! New!" sticker on the box a whole month after release.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdXAVTrOpbU
Brazilians religiously playing mk trilogy on n64 is actually good

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Flinger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdXAVTrOpbU
Brazilians religiously playing mk trilogy on n64 is actually good
IIRC the N64 version removes various animation frames for cartridge space reasons, but didn't adjust the framedata to match so the game ends up faster and more aggressive than the PS1 version.

K&M did an analysis of the different versions of MKT from a playing-something-resembling-seriously perspective, and how utterly busted they are, a while back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlC2yMFlVY0

The Kins fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 1, 2022

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

why were trilogy and umk3 in the arcades at the same time? i just remember growing up they both showed up locally around the same time and it always confused me

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
You'd have to ask Midwa......well, guess we sort of answered that one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Trilogy was in arcades? I thought it was a console exclusive.

I had it for PS1 and was so jealous of the N64 version because Shang Tsung had no load times on his morphs

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

why were trilogy and umk3 in the arcades at the same time? i just remember growing up they both showed up locally around the same time and it always confused me

Trilogy is console only

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Trilogy also came out like a year later after UMK3 on consoles. They were only contemporary in the KOF-sense that you could see '96 and '97 in the wild on the same day.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

what the heck am i thinking of then, i dont think it was mk3/umk3.

idk im dumb but ty for that

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is MK11 Ultimate worth $15 for the single-player kontent? Never really kared for MK but kould use a distraktion

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Imo the story is fun and well put together but probably makes more sense if you know what happened in the original trilogy and 9/X.

There's a great variety of stuff to do between the Story, Krypt and towers.

The only bad part is you're playing Mortal Kombat

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

morestuff posted:

Is MK11 Ultimate worth $15 for the single-player kontent? Never really kared for MK but kould use a distraktion

It's on Gamepass, if you have a PC/xbox

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

morestuff posted:

There is a metric fuckton of content between the story, krypt, and rotating towers of time. You could never touch online and have game to play for ages. It excels in flashy production values and single player content. If you want something to mindlessly enjoy you can’t do much better.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Eurocom were cool but Gold is probably the worst thing they did and I'm sure it was because Midway was on life support and needed to poo poo it out asap

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jesus it was 30 years ago today that EGM posted the Shang Long fakes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbzy0aRM7PD/?utm_medium=copy_link

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Dave posted:

Jesus it was 30 years ago today that EGM posted the Shang Long fakes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbzy0aRM7PD/?utm_medium=copy_link

:negative: so old...

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Jfc, the 2nd DNF Duel beta is as off to a bad start as it was the first time. Can't get into half the rooms, and I get disconnected from the other half as soon as I get in

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Nanpon_Xiv/status/1510218420385550337

It lives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mg hikaru!!! My boy!