Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Wonder why it got private'd

Whatever it was they just undid it and it's public again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
to no one's surprise, here's another banger video from anthony to explain directstorage perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlf2I1TYd8U

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kanye/comments/tp20pg/linus_stretch_my_hands_pt_1_the_life_of_linus/

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i kept expecting him to turn to the camera and go you know, totalitarian regimes and stuff there are justifications for needing to do this but overall stay out of prison, etc. and it never came, which kind of impresses me strangely.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Linus really shilling now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slwai2Jhy_A

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Haha

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Took me wayyyy too long to get what was going on

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

SalTheBard posted:

Took me wayyyy too long to get what was going on

took me one and a half since they didn't do the intro, which honestly does not say nice things about my ability to detect LTT rhythms lol

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I wasn't really paying attention at first so I only clued in when it got to the cheese

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

CoolCab posted:

took me one and a half since they didn't do the intro, which honestly does not say nice things about my ability to detect LTT rhythms lol

IIRC, they mentioned on a recent WAN Show they're planning to phase out the intro since Youtube now punishes you if people skip too much of the first ~minute or so of your video.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr.Radar posted:

IIRC, they mentioned on a recent WAN Show they're planning to phase out the intro since Youtube now punishes you if people skip too much of the first ~minute or so of your video.

lmao. could you be any more obvious about sabotaging the ability of creators to ignore youtube ads in favor of sponsorships to make money?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's even funnier that one of the biggest channel groups on Youtube is still scared of incurring the wrath of The Algorithm.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it loving sucks rear end to run a business through a middleman who can arbitrarily and radically change conditions but welcome to the conglomerated internet :/

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Youtube is in it to make money, doesn't seem surprising.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 1, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

Floatplane is the escape strategy if Youtube gets egregious, but I think LTT has enough clout to cut sweetheart deals with Youtube anyway

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Youtube is in it to make money, doesn't seem surprising.
The only thing that makes money for Alphabet is their ad business, the rest is a lossleader to get people to buy/see ads.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Linus talking about labour protections and unionization was pretty hilarious. I don't think he's the villain people would have him be, but having his wife handle internal HR complaints is a weird thing to boast of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEdAosuqAsM&t=5854s

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

mewse posted:

Floatplane is the escape strategy if Youtube gets egregious, but I think LTT has enough clout to cut sweetheart deals with Youtube anyway

I suppose if you like having a fraction of the viewer base.

The size of YouTube doesn't exactly leave anyone with an exit plan. When is the last time someone linked a video from Vimeo? Let alone the gated-community paid sites like Nebula. Linus could try and cut YouTube out if poo poo gets bad, but his haircut will leave him looking pretty bald.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Floatplane isn't even well designed; the landing page is all creator focused. Apparently if you sign in it's different but I'm not going to create an account just to view a list of stuff I might want to subscribe to.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They also take much higher fees than Patreon from what I've seen.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

kliras posted:

Linus talking about labour protections and unionization was pretty hilarious. I don't think he's the villain people would have him be, but having his wife handle internal HR complaints is a weird thing to boast of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEdAosuqAsM&t=5854s

"It's hard to fire employees, what more could they want"

Small business owner whining about employees in a nutshell.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Warmachine posted:

The size of YouTube doesn't exactly leave anyone with an exit plan. When is the last time someone linked a video from Vimeo? Let alone the gated-community paid sites like Nebula. Linus could try and cut YouTube out if poo poo gets bad, but his haircut will leave him looking pretty bald.

I think the exit plan for someone the size of Linus isn't going to vimeo or floatplane, it's doing something like Giant Bomb. Keep the stuff that youtube loves -- ie destroying stuff and dumb antics -- on youtube, and move some of the more in-depth content onto ltt.com

GN could probably do this even better.

kliras posted:

I don't think he's the villain people would have him be, but having his wife handle internal HR complaints is a weird thing to boast of.

Putting his wife in charge of HR is loving terrible in all directions. Like, I wouldn't call it "villainous" because the general idea that brings up is evil + smart. It implies a plan. This is the opposite.

If he hypothetically had a lawsuit over workplace issues it's gonna be really hard to defend against "I did not feel that I could discuss my problem with the CEO with the CEO's wife".

So it's kinda thoughtlessly callous -- he isn't thinking about how it must feel for his employees to discuss problems with the wife of their employer -- but also deeply stupid. I don't have a good word for that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I thought he said they have an external HR firm

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Big "we'll fix political issues with technological solutions" energy.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Klyith posted:

Putting his wife in charge of HR is loving terrible in all directions. Like, I wouldn't call it "villainous" because the general idea that brings up is evil + smart. It implies a plan. This is the opposite.

If he hypothetically had a lawsuit over workplace issues it's gonna be really hard to defend against "I did not feel that I could discuss my problem with the CEO with the CEO's wife".

So it's kinda thoughtlessly callous -- he isn't thinking about how it must feel for his employees to discuss problems with the wife of their employer -- but also deeply stupid. I don't have a good word for that.
He doesn't seem to understand labour protections beyond a very basic level. It's not like he's uniquely careless with this given his complete mismanagement of the server/backup system and other things like that. It's just that you shouldn't mess up stuff as important as this.

If someone's as clueless as he is, I'd at least try to find a way to set up some annual audits. What a lot of employers don't get is that unions also work as a management layer that actually helps do a lot of the job for you, and he clearly needs the help. Not to mention whatever weird division of labour and authority he has set up with his wife.

I really wanna know what a visit from the Canadian equivalent of OSHA would be like.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

???

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think you were looking for "This company is a family" energy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Linus mentioned on his podcast that they got paid for all the sponsor spots in this video so it's less a "joke" and more a "block of paid ads"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
LTT STORE DOT COM!

Jesus loving Christ, selling out on a loving April fools unfunny joke.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

kliras posted:

He doesn't seem to understand labour protections beyond a very basic level. It's not like he's uniquely careless with this given his complete mismanagement of the server/backup system and other things like that. It's just that you shouldn't mess up stuff as important as this.

If someone's as clueless as he is, I'd at least try to find a way to set up some annual audits. What a lot of employers don't get is that unions also work as a management layer that actually helps do a lot of the job for you, and he clearly needs the help. Not to mention whatever weird division of labour and authority he has set up with his wife.

I really wanna know what a visit from the Canadian equivalent of OSHA would be like.

I don't doubt that he genuinely really cares about the well-being of his employees, and it's pretty obvious by everything from the clickbait thumbnails to the SEO-driven everything else that their priority is making it a sustainable business where they can pay their staff well and give everyone a secure future. So I kind of see his internal logic of ''I'm a nice guy boss". But yeah he seems to think unionisation is like a last resort thing employees have to do to fight the power, and not just good practice. Like, you should still have an HR policy even if your organisation has no HR incidents, it's the same thing. I'm sure LTT is a great place to work and the senior management team (some nerd and his wife) are super supporitve, but also if he's really a nice guy boss he should encourage his staff to join whatever sector-wide union might be out there. I don't really understand what he has to lose if everyone at LTT is as happy as he says they are.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Unions and HR are a lot like insurance.

You don't have it because you think things are going to go a certain way, you have it in case things go a very different way.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Combat Pretzel posted:

LTT STORE DOT COM!

Jesus loving Christ, selling out on a loving April fools unfunny joke.

He’s well past that point, he did a spot for NiceHash during the crypto boom and took money from Dyson.
This post is sponsored by Raid: Shadow legends. ELLTEETEESTOREDOTCOM

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There is a sponsor free version of the video on Floatplane.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

With judicious use of the seek bar and +15s button all videos and podcasts are sponsor free.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sponsorblock-for-youtube/mnjggcdmjocbbbhaepdhchncahnbgone

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And for a better browser: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sponsorblock/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Steve's on the warpath again, absolutely savage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsdeJszdV7I