Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.random
May 7, 2007

I think it’s really cool tech the way the barista and the coffee cup both quantum jump to new locations during the course of this video. When you’re modeling things at the subatomic level, you naturally start to see the underpinnings of our galaxy begin to peek out their heads.

Is it disconcerting for someone used to the 120hz fakery in CoD? Well sure. But have you noticed how movements in HD TV and games are actually SMOOTHER than what you see with your eye? Have you ever wondered why? It’s because they’re both faking it, using shortcuts to not only trick you as a person, but to trick your subconscious animal brain as well. And if you’re one of those that wonder why SC isn’t like that, it’s probably already too late for you. They’ve truly pulled the rug over your eyes and neither I, nor Chris Roberts, owe you anything to try to save you from yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

trucutru posted:

Oh, and here is a full fly-over the place that'll introduce years of gameplay. Period!

https://v.redd.it/9tpkr7wjyuq81/DASH_480.mp4?source=fallback.gif

cantwellmuckenfuss
Mar 30, 2011

LOL at the dirt dam between the lake and the river. If those two bodies of water actually intersected the entire universe would collapse on itself.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I hope the star citizen backer watches it and enjoys it greatly, because that's where his money is actually going.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mirificus posted:

How can cig hire so many people and not achieve anything?! Preposterous!

So...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15443124/

So the unthinkable alternative to cig is that yes, there is a lot of people there, but no, they are not all hard at work on Star Citizen.

They are actually doing other things, likely not even using the CIG/CI name but some LLC shell company or something.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
the two most sci fi concepts ever conceived: A river and a coffee machine, together in one game at last

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic posted:

So...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15443124/

So the unthinkable alternative to cig is that yes, there is a lot of people there, but no, they are not all hard at work on Star Citizen.

They are actually doing other things, likely not even using the CIG/CI name but some LLC shell company or something.

Even better, follow the link to Chris and it looks like he's back to playing executive producer for a movie titled Black Water Transit (announced with no set date).

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That part of my joke was basically that Chris can't get her to come.

I misunderstood which post you were answering. I absolve myself of that, though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mirificus posted:

quote:

The absolute simplest answer is: the community doesn't understand the development process, doesn't appreciate the complexity and depth of the project, and has no patience.

That is 1000x more likely than any other explanation. It's also 100% true.

Yes. That's the absolute simplest answer. And not like...... poor management.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Okay, here's what I don't get about SC, at this point: Backers are lining up to suck off this river like it's the greatest, best designed river in video game history. A cursory search for "No man's sky River" yields the below and like like hundreds of other results.

It's a game that exists, came out, works, and has been patched to like, function. What exactly is SC aiming to do that Elite Dangerous and No Mans' sky, and Eve online aren't already doing? It seems like the answer to that question is: be a scam.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I am so glad they showed us a "Rome: Total War" map

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am so glad they showed us a "Rome: Total War" map

How dare you disparage Rome: Total War that way!

If you order your troops into the river the horses will drown but part of the infantry will make it; If their shields are big enough!

In conclusion -> Buy an Idris or watch Sandi's movie which is a real tough choice.

.random
May 7, 2007

Plan R posted:

In conclusion -> Buy an Idris or watch Sandi's movie which is a real tough choice.

A real Sandi’s choice there

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

This didn't even add up to two watchable minutes of video.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Plan R posted:

How dare you disparage Rome: Total War that way!

If you order your troops into the river the horses will drown but part of the infantry will make it; If their shields are big enough!

What if I could watch Sandi's movie in-Verse? Surely in the far future her rightful status as the galaxy's most beautiful and famous actress would be a reality...

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

"The simplest answer is that it's too complicated for anyone to understand."

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

.random posted:

A real Sandi’s choice there

It's...what is it up to?

<googles>

Jeepers H Crackers!

I just spent about five hundred bucks on a new video card. It can run everything (Elite, Control) I like very smoothly; it was a birthday present to myself. No sense going after a ps5 because there's no there there.

But I could commit to RobertsChris for ONLY another thousand dollars! Their powers combined will provide me the opportunity to purchase a picture of a ship that does not exist and is useless without a few dozen schlubs to crew it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mozi posted:

What if I could watch Sandi's movie in-Verse? Surely in the far future her rightful status as the galaxy's most beautiful and famous actress would be a reality...

Well I have a feeling you're not gonna find this on the pirate bay... ever. So might as well buy a $5,000 ship so you can watch it in the Verse.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mirificus posted:

quote:

"The less people know, the more stubbornly they know it." - Osho

huh, kinda surprised to see a star citizen fan quoting bhagwan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajneesh)

but i guess chris roberts is akin to a guru for star citizen true believers, so in a way it does make sense that there would be some crossover

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 3, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

.random posted:

I think it’s really cool tech the way the barista and the coffee cup both quantum jump to new locations during the course of this video. When you’re modeling things at the subatomic level, you naturally start to see the underpinnings of our galaxy begin to peek out their heads.

I'm not going to consider this a realistic space simulator until I can actually use an in-game CERN to look at subatomic collisions in realtime :colbert:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

When’s development starting?

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blue On Blue posted:

can't be , it has her kid and who i can only assume is her maid in it

Late but I believe the woman playing Sandi's mom is actually a fairly prolific small-time actress who has appeared in things like Legally Blonde and the Walking Dead:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1017246/

Wonder why she decided to cast an Asian woman for the role of her mom though.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nirvikalpa posted:

So she can submit the movie to the Asian-American film festival in oregon.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

I hire people for a living, in technology. It would be monumentally complicated to hire so badly, consistently, for this to ever even be an edge case factor. An absolute non-starter.

Occam's razor remains a solid analogy because the MOST likely outcome, as I stated, is that the game is complex enough that the good people they have working on it will take more than 10 years to get it done. That it isn't done at 10 years isn't because the team is bad, or they aren't up to the task. The simple answer is IT TAKES WHAT IT TAKES.

That is the entire, true point. There doesn't have to be "something they could have done better or differently" to be at a different level of "done" right now. Some people argue as if that is a given, that SOMETHING that can be controlled wasn't. But the unsatisfyingly accurate answer is: that's not the case.

quote:

I'll only reply to the idea that 'it takes what it takes' is a poo poo method.

Let me explain why it is appropriate for SC.

When you are delivering code, let's say a new screen in a policy administration system (something I have 20+ years of experience with), you should be able to pick a date, plan sprints and hit the target relatively close. You are working in a system that you've worked on often for a decade plus, have extensive knowledge with, and are delivering something you've delivered dozens of times before.

Now let's say that the underlying tools you rely on are no longer supported by the vendor and security concerns press you to replace the entire system from the ground up.

You find me the company, fortune 500, technological, I don't care, that has EVER hit their targets doing that, and you'll have created a fake document from scratch - because (and here is where the rubber meets the road on this concept) - just like with SC, doing something BRAND NEW FROM SCRATCH is not compatible with pre-defined dates. Simply stated, and factually accurate.

If CIG was churning out "yet another" formulaic shooter, then this would be a reasonable thing to suggest. But they aren't. They have ideas on how it might work (as opposed to existing code that shows it does work) so they ARE going to have REASONABLE and UNDERSTANDABLE delays.

If this weren't the case - if CIG wasn't creating brand new, edge-pushing technology and unprecedented stitched-together gameplay including net-new systems, net-new game engine functionality, etc. - then sure, they missed a date and have no excuse.

But that's not the case. And that's what CIG has stated, when Chris delivered his year-end 2020 letter it was clear. When they revamped the roadmap because we struggle to understand its actual intent, it was clear. They've stated as much as I've elucidated. There is no mystery.

Just an unwillingness to accept the facts.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Hi I’m from the project management institute and I’m here to take away your PMP

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So much of these posts on development read to me, someone in fintech dev, as complete bullshit. You have security concerns sure, but if that happens and you can't replace the system, you can fork it or pay for end of life support. There are options, you don't throw the whole project in the toilet. There are technical systems out there that have existed for decades, how do those people think it works when the newest BlahBlahAuth tech gets deprecated for BullShitAuth? None of these excuses of everything being BRAND NEW make sense. All technical problems can be boiled down. You are consuming data, you are transforming data, you are presenting data. If whatever framework you build is so fragile it can't handle tooling and tech change, I don't know what the gently caress you are doing.

Everything I've read makes it sound like everyone there is working on building cumbersome, poorly thought out systems that get thrown away for not meeting some arbitrary vision.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shirec posted:

Everything I've read makes it sound like everyone there is working on building cumbersome, poorly thought out systems that get thrown away for not meeting some arbitrary vision.

This tends to be the history of vaporware in a nutshell, yes.

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

I manage creative people who always want just a little more time and just a little more budget and I've always wondered what would happen if you just endlessly accepted all of those requests. Now we know.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

obithrawn posted:

I manage creative people who always want just a little more time and just a little more budget and I've always wondered what would happen if you just endlessly accepted all of those requests. Now we know.

Chris Roberts, 2012 posted:

I needed a producer that could do more than just do a good deal. I needed someone to help me on the set, to tell me hey Chris I know you want to do these 10 things but we only have money to do 5 things really well. So let's pick what they are and knock them out of the park and cut the others. This is what a strong creative producer does, and its what I've tried to do for other directors I've worked with over the last 10 years.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/12grru/i_am_chris_roberts_creator_of_wing_commander/c6uzkyd/

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Sad he didn't hire that producer.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

obithrawn posted:

Just add on fans who continue egging them on to add new poo poo even though they haven't finished the last feature yet ans never will.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Nirvikalpa posted:

Late but I believe the woman playing Sandi's mom is actually a fairly prolific small-time actress who has appeared in things like Legally Blonde and the Walking Dead:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1017246/

The Star Citizen community loves diversity.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Nobody believes me, but I'm telling you, when I clipped through my ship trying to enter it and started falling into the endless void beneath the map, I DID see a space trout falling with me, rapidly oscillating.

Fish ARE coming.

.random
May 7, 2007

Nirvikalpa posted:

Her real-life mother is of Chinese/Filipino/something else descent or something, so it’s not all that odd.

Shirec posted:

someone in fintech dev

LOL but fins have already been developed, so it’s not a fair comparison, sir or madam! (I assume that poster was the same one from a while ago who was bragging about being in some Really Important Scaled Agile For Enterprise scrums or something, so I THINK I KNOW A LITTLE SOMETHING ABOUT QUARTERLY PLANNING, DAD :smuggo: oops, I’m dumb. apparently all these tech-adjacent people have irrelevant work experience they like to bring to bear)

.random fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 3, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

.random posted:

Her real-life mother is of Chinese/Filipino/something else descent or something, so it’s not all that odd.

LOL but fins have already been developed, so it’s not a fair comparison, sir or madam! (I assume that poster was the same one from a while ago who was bragging about being in some Really Important Scaled Agile For Enterprise scrums or something, so I THINK I KNOW A LITTLE SOMETHING ABOUT QUARTERLY PLANNING, DAD :smuggo: oops, I’m dumb. apparently all these tech-adjacent people have irrelevant work experience they like to bring to bear)

Can't have findom without fins

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Trollologist posted:

Okay, here's what I don't get about SC, at this point: Backers are lining up to suck off this river like it's the greatest, best designed river in video game history. A cursory search for "No man's sky River" yields the below and like like hundreds of other results.

It's a game that exists, came out, works, and has been patched to like, function. What exactly is SC aiming to do that Elite Dangerous and No Mans' sky, and Eve online aren't already doing? It seems like the answer to that question is: be a scam.

no coffee machine

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

no coffee machine

I'm kind of shocked at how accurate an answer this is.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

im a professional citizen, and, wherever you go, there you are

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Toilet Gameplay - a good and reasonable/realistic solution posted:

I always thought it´s a little exaggerated: toilets as gameplay?
But after a week of diarrhoea it was very obvious to me.

What can´t you do when you waited too long?
What can´t you do when the business is VERY urgent?

You can´t run.
You can´t run very fast.

So this could a good solution for Star Citizen.

Gaming-Loop:

- a while after drining/eating (some hours) a indicator appears that your avatar can go to the toilet
- first nothing happens 30 Minutes or so (we assume here you don´t go to the toilet)
- then after 30 or 40 Minutes your max. runspeed is slowing a bit down
- another 20 Minutes later your runspeed significant slower than normal
- another 20 Minutes and you can´t barely speed up (now it shows in your walking animation - we all know how it looks like...)
- another 20 Minutes later: you walking speed is slowing down too
After roundabout 90-120 Minutes your walking speed reached the slowest point - Let´s hope you find a toilette before you do some FPS-Action

[All numbers are just examples]

So what do you think? :slightly_smiling_face:
I like the idea, find it a little funny but also realistic.

I think the penalty for not going pee shouldn´t get any higher but with this it would make a difference for long time Missions.
Short Missions in something like a Cutlass shouldn´t be affected by this.

Oh and a good idea for the Starfarer Gold Pass or big ships: let smaller ships dock and let the passenger pee and have a drink or something ^^
So first you can tank and then you can go to toilet. And then the journey continuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Star Citizen - After a week of diarrhoea it was very obvious to me