Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

I actually missed it
what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

it's nice to see what the weather is like at a glance

some people occasionally go outside, shocking I know

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i always have a weather widget on whatever os i'm using due to the fact that i walk to/from work when i can and the wather here can be unpredictable. i was a little taken aback by the windows 10 taskbar widget thing they shoved in there after an update but i've gotten used to it too. don't mind it much

my aging pc doesnt support windows 11 and i'm glad of it since it won't nag me

thanks for listening and have a good friday!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The next time I have to install windows I'm seriously thinking about making a github project that uses packer to apply tweaks to unfuck it and automate the install over pxe. So I don't see the default windows desktop for even a second.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

it's nice to see what the weather is like at a glance
true.dat, I just find the phone apps better so I stick to 'em

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
goddamn loving SharePoint loving Microsoft loving bullshit goddamn gently caress

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

goddamn loving SharePoint loving Microsoft loving bullshit goddamn gently caress

I agree with this post

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, hard to imagine anyone showing up to defend sharepoint, in the era of 365 especially. skype for business levels of bad.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm still convinced that skype was intentionally bought and deprecated in favour of teams

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

dioxazine posted:

i'm still convinced that skype was intentionally bought and deprecated in favour of teams

i think you may be ascribing (and yourself applying) more thought to the whole process than actually happened at microsoft.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we had a teams migration at work and it took a month during which we also had to be logged in to the old instance in an incognito browser window and it didn’t carry over any files or personal chats or more than a couple months of team activity, like apparently it’s impossible to copy those things from one sharepoint to another?

any other company they’d just make you hire more consultants to do it, microsoft seems unique in making certain tasks literally impossible

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, hard to imagine anyone showing up to defend sharepoint, in the era of 365 especially. skype for business levels of bad.
I have some bad news about all the o365 business products for you

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

I have some bad news about all the o365 business products for you

i am pretty sure you don't

mystes
May 31, 2006

they're all sharepoint, op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

they're all sharepoint, op

nah, it is still lurking to some extent, but once you're off the on-prem stuff it is rapidly receding from relevance.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

dioxazine posted:

lol skype was bought by MS in 2011. teams released in what.. 2017? no way they were thinking that far ahead.

slack and discord came out somewhere in between and ms has been trying to catch up to them ever since

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
windows 11 doesn’t exist. you can’t make me use it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

lol skype was bought by MS in 2011. teams released in what.. 2017? no way they were thinking that far ahead.

slack and discord came out somewhere in between and ms has been trying to catch up to them ever since

"trying" is kind of a weird word to use, the thing about teams is that i don't think anyone likes it nearly as much as slack, but kind of obviously it gets way more use as people are basically forced onto it by orgs. even within yospos i'm pretty sure more people are on teams than slack for work etc. by now.

hard to compare numbers, but even in 2020 the active user claims had teams with like 3x the users.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i can't install w11 on my i7 mac mini, oh well :grin:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"trying" is kind of a weird word to use, the thing about teams is that i don't think anyone likes it nearly as much as slack, but kind of obviously it gets way more use as people are basically forced onto it by orgs. even within yospos i'm pretty sure more people are on teams than slack for work etc. by now.

hard to compare numbers, but even in 2020 the active user claims had teams with like 3x the users.

I prefer teams to slack but it might just be how our installs are set up

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

i can't install w11 on my i7 mac mini, oh well :grin:
You probably can't install it on your Power Mac G5 or your IIGS either.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
skype and skype for business have nothing to do with each other. office communicator became lync which then became skype for business after the skype purchase.

skype for business had all the chat history and everything stored locally (or in outlook lmao) so it was a disaster if you wanted to use it across multiple devices. then in teams they made all the chat server side which is great.

but then someone had the idea that the chats should all be based on office groups in office 365 which are based on sharepoint. so if you ever wondered why file sharing sucks rear end in teams its because its all based in sharepoint.

and then you pile on the terrible javascript client and its just a mess. they still dont have an API for getting chat events in a reasonable mechanism (i.e. websockets) cause they dont want 3rd party teams clients

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

they still dont have an API for getting chat events in a reasonable mechanism (i.e. websockets) cause they dont want 3rd party teams clients
Perhaps it's also because the o365 people are determined to push stuff like Power Automate / Power Apps and allowing real api access would get in the way of that?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah cause if you want to do non-client stuff there are apis for things (including notifications via webhooks) that are platform agnostic. just nothing that would work for a client.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i seriously doubt anybody would try to write a third party teams client

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

Does pidgin still exist?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i would write one that just does chat and nothing else

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

issue might be that anyone who tries would instantly be better at it than the teams team. (*still* a vast improvement on sfb).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

i would write one that just does chat and nothing else
Are you sure you aren't a linux user?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

we were on slack and very happy but we moved to teams because its nice to have uniform user management through microsoft365 and also it makes some government reqs happy with an extra checkbox here or there.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

to clarify, i meant "trying to be as good" since you're right, people have been moving over to teams because microsoft has a stranglehold on company/education directory and people management, but teams does generally suck and has that feeling that a lot of microsoft products like outlook have where there's too much poo poo jammed into it and it's slow.

i mean i just opened our Teams channel (that is a ghost town because no one wants to use it) and I got a spinny icon for ~1 min before it gave up:

https://i.imgur.com/03702qu.mp4

its garbage

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i just clicked to see what "immersive reader" did and it's some large type thing where it does TTS but I was unable to exit the view and had to quit teams and restart it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Microsoft software, when in doubt, will just display a spinny icon while pausing and doing absolutely nothing for 30 minutes (PM note: let's make this 90 min to be on the safe side -Jeff) and then display an "uwu we made a fucky wucky :(" message

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nobody uses the "teams" in teams its all 1:1 and group chats and microsoft hates it cause it means nobody is using the sharepoint bullshit and if nobody is using the sharepoint bullshit then it means all of that was a waste of time.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i just clicked to see what "immersive reader" did and it's some large type thing where it does TTS but I was unable to exit the view and had to quit teams and restart it.

its the same thing as the "reader" button on edge and safari intended to create text only versions of web pages. why in the world you'd want that for a chat application i cannot fathom. my best guess is its an electron thing they just left enabled

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

nobody uses the "teams" in teams its all 1:1 and group chats and microsoft hates it cause it means nobody is using the sharepoint bullshit and if nobody is using the sharepoint bullshit then it means all of that was a waste of time.

this is how we use it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

its fun when someone from a different organization invites you to a teams meeting and if you click on the join meeting button from outlook it creates an infinite loop of launching a browser tab that tries to launch a teams session that launches a browser tab etc. the only fix is to close teams and click on the join in browser button before it can reopen teams

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

to clarify, i meant "trying to be as good" since you're right, people have been moving over to teams because microsoft has a stranglehold on company/education directory and people management, but teams does generally suck and has that feeling that a lot of microsoft products like outlook have where there's too much poo poo jammed into it and it's slow.

i mean i just opened our Teams channel (that is a ghost town because no one wants to use it) and I got a spinny icon for ~1 min before it gave up:

https://i.imgur.com/03702qu.mp4

its garbage

I had to use it for a microsoft interview and ended up using the web version because the native installed version just froze my computer. I've gotten recruiter emails for the teams team there too and I'm like "lol no"

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
I should do electron apps in my career change since the bar is so low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i liked last month when a teams update broke using cursor keys to move around text boxes. like how do you even do that?