Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I'm clumsy as gently caress and that arrow key thing made trying to edit typos a miserable experience

Vaguely related, why tf does Outlook have an invisible border around the search box that makes me have to re-adjust my aim every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i use the windows mail app instead of outlook cause outlook sucks.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

thanks thread for making me glad we use slack and webex

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think you may be ascribing (and yourself applying) more thought to the whole process than actually happened at microsoft.

yeah, i feel that this may be the case a lot of the time when it comes to ms products and mishandling their acquisitions...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

carry on then posted:

thanks thread for making me glad we use slack and webex

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

JumpinJackFlash posted:

I should do electron apps in my career change since the bar is so low.

we entered a new and unending nadir of software design when developers realized that electron apps meant you could embed google ads in desktop programs with zero effort

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Sapozhnik posted:

Microsoft software, when in doubt, will just display a spinny icon while pausing and doing absolutely nothing for 30 minutes (PM note: let's make this 90 min to be on the safe side -Jeff) and then display an "uwu we made a fucky wucky :(" message

last job in outlook we had emails being archived automatically in the cloud or whatever and whenever you tried to open them the entire gui would hang and be unresponsive until it got the email over the network.

Beyond ReTarTed.
Dec 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HappyHippo posted:

last job in outlook we had emails being archived automatically in the cloud or whatever and whenever you tried to open them the entire gui would hang and be unresponsive until it got the email over the network.

that was me 2 minutes ago looking for baseball tickets on mlb.com with a 2021 chromebook

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

whenever a customer invites me to a zoom call i feel like zoom is pretty good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

lol skype was bought by MS in 2011. teams released in what.. 2017? no way they were thinking that far ahead.

slack and discord came out somewhere in between and ms has been trying to catch up to them ever since

discord is good because it refuses it let you get notifications to one than one logged in device at once and you can’t respond to pleas for help if you don’t get notifications for them *taps head*

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Chris Knight posted:

goddamn loving SharePoint loving Microsoft loving bullshit goddamn gently caress
I agree with this post

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

echinopsis posted:

discord is good because it refuses it let you get notifications to one than one logged in device at once and you can’t respond to pleas for help if you don’t get notifications for them *taps head*

discord is bad because it's just another lockin platform

give me something that you can run yourself with discord's features

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

JumpinJackFlash posted:

I should do electron apps in my career change since the bar is so low.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

its actually unironically very cool and good that windows 10 has a built-in 3d object viewer so you can preview .obj files without loading up blender or something equally heavy

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
what was dumb was the 3D Objects folder in windows 10, which they actually removed in 11

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perplx posted:

what was dumb was the 3D Objects folder in windows 10, which they actually removed in 11

the fun kind of dumb though, a strange flight of fancy that somehow wound up on hundreds of millions of computers for a bit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for those curious about when microsoft are going to fix the bunch of multi-monitor/dpi regressions 11 stupidly introduced i can report from an insider build (which i installed entirely because i was fed up with these issues) that they've decided to instead make them worse.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

windows has been bad at multiple monitors for so long it must be intentional

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

nah, 10 was perfectly fine, even dpi stuff had mostly been fixed up. but seems that was to be only for that one fleeting version.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
beta tested in the future

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I’m still happily running the world’s most advanced operating system, Microsoft Windows 10

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

qirex posted:

works for me great in windows 10 hope this helps

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, 10 was perfectly fine, even dpi stuff had mostly been fixed up. but seems that was to be only for that one fleeting version.

what's broken, because they fixed windows not remembering where to go when a monitor turns off and on again

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

what's broken, because they fixed windows not remembering where to go when a monitor turns off and on again

i mean, i can't really know to what extent this is my setup, but i've certainly made every effort to fix it, but it does quite the opposite for me. i.e. places windows on the turned off monitor, until i turn it on, when it moves all the windows to another one. it seems generally confused about which monitor is which in some way, including dpi issues, fullscreening a window onto a monitor different from which it was on, sometimes seemingly confusing which monitor had which dpi, etc.

i mean, hopefully i'm the only one with this particular breakage, but as i am getting no other advantage from 11 i am very comfortable calling it garbage for this regression.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

one time for some reason it changed all content to washed-out grey like if SDR-to-HDR slider is set to 0 and nothing short of restart would help

this was last week

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/evil_mog/status/1518616510125658112

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the old one never worked either

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

voidtools everything for filename searching, ripgrep for file content searching

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
really is amazing that basic os functionality has been defective for decades in a way that is easily implemented by a third party tool that was also finished and feature complete for about as many decades

but implementing a performant and unobtrusive os feature doesn't get the manager responsible a thick, juicy, glistening, throbbing, veiny bonus

... sorry got a bit sidetracked there

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

why does my computer keep making random sniffing noises

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the dog was really cool and also turning it off forever and watching it jump to its doom was cool too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

voidtools everything for filename searching, ripgrep for file content searching

I havent used voidtools but all I want is to hit the windows button and type something and I find it

does voidtools do that or is it a program I have to load by itself

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

I havent used voidtools but all I want is to hit the windows button and type something and I find it

does voidtools do that or is it a program I have to load by itself

separate program but I think it has integration as a beta feature

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol I don't want no beta features

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

lol I don't want no beta features

we dont need no beta features
we dont need no app control

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
it's actually a separate app not a beta feature. main app is trying to remain small and fast so they seem reluctant to add features. i just keep Everything running in my systray.

i've been meaning to try windows search again though and see if it's improved at all because i use power toys a lot and power toys includes a pop-up bar ("powertoys run") that uses windows search indexes but is also way less lovely than windows start menu "searching" with respect to finding files and apps vs searching the web. one thing people forget/don't realize is you have to add folders that are outside the defaults if you want them indexed ie i have a c:\src\ folder for source code.

if windows search gave you a "index meta-data but not file content" option i'd just index the whole drat drive and not even bother with Everything :shrug:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cold on a Cob posted:

one thing people forget/don't realize is you have to add folders that are outside the defaults if you want them indexed ie i have a c:\src\ folder for source code.

which is one of many reasons why windows search is dumb and bad

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mediaphage posted:

which is one of many reasons why windows search is dumb and bad

completely agreed

a few tweaks and it would be 100x better

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm in the options now and i forgot how much of a turd they are

want to change which file types are fully indexed vs metadata only? here's a long, unsearchable list for you to go through

want to filter out a particular subfolder name universally? nope sorry you have to exclude every instance manually

goddamn it's so bad

e: oh, of course. there are two options screens now. the original one is now the 'advanced' one, which has an 'advanced' button for what i guess are now 'advanced advanced' options

e2: at least the new screen gives you a big obvious button to index the entire hdd. annoyingly i can't force it to immediately index everything though so i can't search for anything i just added to the index. lol. lmao. what a loving joke

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

we dont need no beta features
we dont need no app control