Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

coding jokes are never fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that's a good door handle

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i like it but i'm a terrible person

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

i like it but i'm a terrible person

;}

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

update: i got another 6x improvement on the new cpu

update 2: running it on the gpu made it go slow as dogshit and i'm not really sure why but w/e, the cpu side is fast enough

now the real fun begins

i've now split the neural net that i was using just to get everything else built into four distinct models and updated the code on both ends appropriately. after a bunch of testing i've now set dynamic thresholds for both an individual simulation to end once there's enough confidence that the superior models have bubbled up to the top and i'm selecting the models to use for the next generation with a standard deviation calculation rather than using a hard percentage like i was before. now i just need to implement a crude mutation algo and i can run my first experiement to see how long it takes to get something that at least looks like it barely understands the game if you squint at it

if i can even get that much i'll be over the moon. then comes building a much more sophisticated mutation algo, tripling/quadrupling the amount of information i'm feeding into each of the models, and building a dynamic threshold for the generations so that it can see when the models are converging and end the experiment on its own without me having to eyeball it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
why not make a neural net to detect when your neural nets are responding well?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i coworker of mine unironically suggested that lol

oh he’s our ai expert too

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you want skynet? because that is how you get skynet

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

update:

i feel so loving good right now. haven't enjoyed programming like this since college

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

PIZZA.BAT posted:

update:

i feel so loving good right now. haven't enjoyed programming like this since college

What are you working on that's got you reinvigorated?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Armauk posted:

What are you working on that's got you reinvigorated?

in my new job i'm not really hands on keyboard anymore in my role which funny enough has made programming in general fun again. about a year ago i decided i was gonna teach myself ai by teaching a bot how to play poker. i thought it was gonna be like a month tops to get something that mostly worked but wouldn't really play well against players who actually knew what they were doing. it turned into a massive rabbit hole of research / using tools in ways they weren't designed because no one else has really done what i'm trying to accomplish before

i've finally- FINALLY- built out the tool framework such that i can now start testing hypothesis and actually, you know, start training models and loving around with things

my first hypothesis was just confirmed: the models would initially adopt a strategy which favors way overfolding as i deliberately set up the games such that they couldn't bleed out from the blinds. they would then very quickly abandon that strategy in subsequent generations for pretty obvious reasons. i accidentally confirmed a second hypothesis as well: that each subsequent generation would take gradually longer than the one before it because as the models converge it will take longer with each generation to find a meaningful difference between the models

i'm pretty excited!!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you should train a network that can spot networks that will be more likely to have meaningful differences before they’re run

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I bought a copy of Micro Focus Personal COBOL from 1983 on eBay and imaged the disks since they weren’t online anywhere. :toot:

now I’m teaching myself cobol for some reason

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

how different could it be from rails anyway

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Are you sure it's from 1983 and not from 2022
https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/products/cobol-development/overview

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I regularly use a piece of software that was written in Delphi (Borland's dialect of Objective Pascal) and continues to be maintained into the 2020s. I was surprised to find there is even a company still maintaining the IDE and selling licenses for it. These sorts of things have a very long decay.

Logflat Badness
Sep 17, 2020
i've spent the past 60hrs not looking at my other horrible projects like my gay little website and my horrendous little drawing program and have decided to implement the "Bicomonad" which is a structure i made up. it technically does exist but its completely useless in haskell along with the rest of the Bi- family past Biapply.
i will explain why it sucks so bad if we compare the Comonad and the Bicomonad

code:
class Functor w => Comonad w where
   extract :: w a -> a
   duplicate :: w a -> w (w a)
   extend :: (w a -> b) -> w a -> w b
this is cool and useful and u can use it to make your friends very upset. if instead of one functor you make two functors hold hands you can make the Bicomonad

code:
class Bifunctor w => Bicomonad w where
  biextract :: w a b -> Either a b
  biduplicate :: w a b -> w (w a b) (w a b)
  biextend :: (w a b -> c) -> (w a b -> d) -> w a b -> w c d
that motherfucker Either is the correct right and good lawful type thats meant to be there to make all the Laws work out which is sad because that makes the entire typeclass completely loving useless. Either is uh either "Left a" or "Right b", and theres no real way to choose which one you get out of something as general as biextract. the other sad thing is that haskell's """"category"" `Hask` kinda looks like its Set-enriched, so products (like (a,b) and friends) and coproducts (which is Either) cant be made the same thing (this is called a biproduct i think. contact ur local category theoryist for more info). the best thing i can do at this point is say that Either a b and (a,b) are the "same thing", which is a secret haskell technique called "lying". i should eat today

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Stack Machine posted:

I regularly use a piece of software that was written in Delphi (Borland's dialect of Objective Pascal) and continues to be maintained into the 2020s. I was surprised to find there is even a company still maintaining the IDE and selling licenses for it. These sorts of things have a very long decay.

i learned a fair amount of delphi by trying to reverse engineer a piece of closed source software that was written in it (eve fitting tool), it is weird as hell

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

i use a micro focus product for a specific client and their terminal emulator sucks donkey dick

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

COBOL, Containers, and the cloud. I'd probably say "you know what, time to go outside" as well.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ullerrm posted:

i learned a fair amount of delphi by trying to reverse engineer a piece of closed source software that was written in it (eve fitting tool), it is weird as hell

except it’s not really, Pascal with systems programming extensions is practically identical to C in the broad strokes (convergent evolution) and Borland’s enhancements on top of Apple’s original OOP extensions to Pascal are rather straightforward

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i use a micro focus product for a specific client and their terminal emulator sucks donkey dick

really because what I’ve been hearing from the HP3000 crowd is that WRQ/Attachmate/Micro Focus Reflection’s HP terminal emulation is top-notch

I got freevt3k building last weekend, and then added local pty support to it so I can use its xhpterm to telnet to my A500’s GSP and use the A500 on console

unfortunately there are still some bugs with function keys and MPE applications are absolutely reliant on function keys so I still need to keep an actual HP 700/96 attached until I can figure that out

at least I have an Xcode project for it so I have a nice graphical debugger, the whole thing builds in a second on my 2017 i7 MacBook, etc.

my guess as to the problem is more misunderstanding of POSIX semantics on the part of the author (i.e. system calls returning -1 isn’t always an error, partial read/write are a thing, etc.)

I’ve toyed with the idea of making its raw emulation engine into a separate library and figure out how to wire it into iTerm2 to get nice app features for free

eschaton fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 20, 2022

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That does remind me I need to get a replacement PSU for my HP 9000

Also to get my dad to box up my MicroXE and ship it up here

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

in my new job i'm not really hands on keyboard anymore in my role which funny enough has made programming in general fun again. about a year ago i decided i was gonna teach myself ai by teaching a bot how to play poker. i thought it was gonna be like a month tops to get something that mostly worked but wouldn't really play well against players who actually knew what they were doing. it turned into a massive rabbit hole of research / using tools in ways they weren't designed because no one else has really done what i'm trying to accomplish before

i've finally- FINALLY- built out the tool framework such that i can now start testing hypothesis and actually, you know, start training models and loving around with things

my first hypothesis was just confirmed: the models would initially adopt a strategy which favors way overfolding as i deliberately set up the games such that they couldn't bleed out from the blinds. they would then very quickly abandon that strategy in subsequent generations for pretty obvious reasons. i accidentally confirmed a second hypothesis as well: that each subsequent generation would take gradually longer than the one before it because as the models converge it will take longer with each generation to find a meaningful difference between the models

i'm pretty excited!!
That's cool as hell.

Once you've got it working, train an NN to play cheat/liar/bullshit complete with AI generated facial expressions so it can bluff convincingly

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
i made a xml/html/react-jsx lexer parser thing. i've still so got so much to learn about parsing though it seems to work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm pretty excited!!

this is fuckin cool as hell man

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Stack Machine posted:

pascal and delphi are still used for new software today too, linux' total commander clone is made in it, and is a good piece of software: https://doublecmd.sourceforge.io/

you'd write it in the Lazarus IDE using Free Pascal. it has bindings to both qt and gtk

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
That's cool and good IMO. Diversity in programming languages is one of those things that puts up a little barrier to dam in technical subcultures and it'd be a shame to see all of those go away as the world settles on about a half dozen languages that all look like slightly sick C.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Clascal is over 40 years old though

eschaton fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 28, 2022

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Speaking tangentially of Borland... this is a fuckin' long shot, and probably the wrong thread as well (but what would be the right one?), but just in case anyone else here shares some of my particular weirdnesses: anyone got a line on the patches for Premia Starbase Borland CodeGear Embarcadero "Embarcadero, An Idera, Inc. Company" CodeWright?

I have the latest version Embarcadero sold (and maybe still sells?) -- 7.5 -- as of not all that long ago, but it's basically patch level 3 (e.g., 7.5.3) instead of patch level 5 (e.g., 7.5.5). Every now and again, I go looking for archives in The Wayback Machine, etc. or stashed away versions of the patch installers, but no dice so far. I've even attempted emailing folks who posted 10+ years ago or more on various fora about the patches/about CodeWright, but nothing has yet worked out there either. I'm hoping someone has the patch installers squirreled away somewhere, and that I can find that person.

For a while, I thought I was gonna be out of luck on tracking down the CodeWright 7.5 SDK installer too, but luckily I did manage to dredge that up via some creative sleuthing & spelunking. Maybe I still haven't spent enough calories on the patch installers, but I haven't repeated the success there yet.

At least for Windows, patch installers were typically named something like "xcw753_4.exe", which would update an existing version 7.5.3 to version 7.5.4. Likewise xcw754_5.exe would update 7.5.4 to 7.5.5.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have a gutted BC Rich Warlock bass. Rather than just buying some pickups and knobs, give me suggestions for something better than just replacing the pickups and knobs.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

GWBBQ posted:

I have a gutted BC Rich Warlock bass. Rather than just buying some pickups and knobs, give me suggestions for something better than just replacing the pickups and knobs.

Build a mini amp into the bass

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

embed the circuit from a Metal Zone into it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

been making a browser extension for the forums, just got done loving with one of the endpoints of the forums API so that i can Make A Thing in the extension

itll need people who wanna use it to register tokens for the API though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what will this extension do

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

echinopsis posted:

what will this extension do

many things
at the moment all it has is an option to hide probations with images in them

trying to think of more things to add

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it should put a big ol warning flag above the avatars of anyone with more than 1 post/day in QCS

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

it should put a big ol warning flag above the avatars of anyone with more than 1 post/day in QCS

im not sure if there's a way to check posts per day of specific forums (plus implementing that would probably piss astral off with how many extra requests itd be sending)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
could you write a plugin that disables the user's ability to post between a certain time range, say like 00:00 - 08:00 GMT?