Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

NikkolasKing posted:

Interesting. That does all sound decently different. Thanks for the information everyone.

I think the Dark Phoenix Saga is one of the more memorable and well done parts of TAS, at least in my memory.
I'll never forget this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K956y2om92I&t=55s

That tracks, since it was one of the most memorable and well done X-Men stories ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jng2058 posted:

That tracks, since it was one of the most memorable and well done X-Men stories ever.

I wanted them to do more with the Hellfire Club, but they never did. There wasn't nearly enough (read: any, really) Emma Frost in TAS. :colbert:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

X Men 97 should be interesting. I never watched the original and don’t really have a desire to because of how shaky the animation is, but the new series should have better quality.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ccs posted:

X Men 97 should be interesting. I never watched the original and don’t really have a desire to because of how shaky the animation is, but the new series should have better quality.

It loving better not.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the old show looked good (except for the last season), although it definitely did fall on the side of higher detail and lower framerate that left things much less fluid. The original show I think was at the dying days of super fancy yet relatively cheap Japanese animation studios.

I have no idea what the new show will go for or how much it'll try to mirror the same look or how much money will get poured into the show. Digital tools will definitely push against a lot of the particular ways that the original show looked, both streamlining fluidity and pushing against kinda wiggly overly-detailed drawings that traditional animation uses. Probably they'll try to do less than 4 levels of shading.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I honestly think you can watch the first two episodes of X-Men 92 and get a good feel for the entire rest of the show. It might widen it's scope, but the vibe never changes that much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Really you just need this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-K1D8y_Pxs

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Excuse me but you also need
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzc5VHL1bPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5v2RdxYGqk

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just realized what I posted didn't have any Apocalypse quotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYt78FWfa5M

Literally the only voice actor I desperately want them to get back, everyone else would be nice, but I think you could find someone able to do a decent impression (Gambit and Storm would also be great)

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 6, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm pretty sure the VA for apocalypse died a few years ago, so no luck there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Crossposting from the Funny Panels thread

Lobok posted:

While this isn't funny, I just figured I'd tack it on to this post for curiosity's sake. That beloved BTAS episode where all the supervillains are playing poker and telling their "Almost Got 'Im" stories about Batman was an adaptation of a Golden Age issue.

Detective Comics #61 "The Three Racketeers"
And if you're wondering, no it does not have the same twist as the episode.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 6, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I only just learned that apparently Freakangels got an anime adaption?

Got to admit it was the first time I've thought about Freakangels in like 10 years. I'm surprised it would get adapted at all, let alone so much later.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I only just learned that apparently Freakangels got an anime adaption?

Got to admit it was the first time I've thought about Freakangels in like 10 years. I'm surprised it would get adapted at all, let alone so much later.

Holy poo poo. I liked Freakangels. Does the anime stick close to the comic art?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Holy poo poo. I liked Freakangels. Does the anime stick close to the comic art?

See for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-PvSMbDv6s

They did some interesting things. Added more racial diversity and nixed the 'all pale skin' thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have heard that it is very ,very bad

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Blockhouse posted:

I have heard that it is very ,very bad

It is. Animation has some cheap shortcuts and Ellis dialogue read out loud is an absolute nightmare. It's like a filthier Sorkin except nobody wanted to animate the walk half of a walk and talk, so the show just stops regularly to have people spit out compound swears.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I think Warren Ellis comic dialog probably takes a lot of changing to make work as a cartoon, which is funny because I thought his writing was fine for Castlevania and he wrote one of the most liked episodes of Justice League Unlimited (the one where they fight a grey goo type scenario and we find out The Watchtower satellite is basically a giant gun pointed at Earth).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I think Warren Ellis comic dialog probably takes a lot of changing to make work as a cartoon, which is funny because I thought his writing was fine for Castlevania and he wrote one of the most liked episodes of Justice League Unlimited (the one where they fight a grey goo type scenario and we find out The Watchtower satellite is basically a giant gun pointed at Earth).

Didn't he do a GI Joe special?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't he do a GI Joe special?

Yup, GI Joe: Resolute, the one with all the murder.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of comic anime, it's worth noting that a second season of Tiger & Bunny just came out on Netflix (It even has a dub already if you hate reading subtitles). I remember people liking it here when the first season came out a literal decade ago (daily reminder that you're old). If you haven't seen the show, the gimmick is that every hero is Booster Gold. Not the time traveler part but the part where they're trying to monetize heroism with corporate sponsors. There's a thread over here in ADTRW if you want to talk about it with us.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, this is nice.

https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status/1513517319841935363

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Really glad Nimona survived

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have no idea what that is.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

muscles like this! posted:

I have no idea what that is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimona

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was a webcomic back in the day.

America's comic industry outside of the big two has been booming like never before, but I don't think it's quite managed to make it to the screen yet despite the glut of cape movies.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQSzaWG_f-I

My GF really likes Evo Logan because there is no love triangle with Jean. I myself do love how naturally he falls into "Dadverine." It's a good dynamic and it works so much better than with Evo Storm. I never really liked Storm in anything so her failure in the show doesn't really stick out to me. Her and Spyke both failed. Contrast with the awesomeness of Wolverine as a dad and of course the spectacular success of X-23.

Thinking of how cringy Spyke is, how he was totally TAS Jubilee for a new generation, made me wonder what the hell they will do with Jubilee in X-Men '97. What the hell can you do with her? I guess just have somebody groan when she says anything, or at least anything too "cartoon 90s."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 12, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I liked Jubilee when I was 12, or at least didn't have a problem with her. And thought she was funny when I rewatched as an adult, in the same sense as Storm saying "I will meet you at the monorail" in her regal voice.

I agree that Storm sucks in most every adaptation, animated or live action, which sucks doubly because she's like the coolest character in the comics. I hope '97 does her 80's punk costume for at least an episode.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think Jubilee did much after the first few episodes. But I'd think of that more as an opportunity to come up with something for her to do and give extra characterization than a burden. Although whether they could come up with anything good is entirely contingent on how good the people making the new show are. I don't really remember much about Spyke, but the bit of being "the relatable young one" doesn't mean much when almost the entire cast are relatable teens.

I think Evolution was the most original take there has been on the X-Men, and I appreciate that even if I didn't really stick with the series when it was on TV and I'm not very interested in the teen high school drama.

Scott McNeil was great. I think that characterization of of Wolverine probably inspired the time in the comics where Wolverine thought that Cyclops corralling all remaining mutants into a paramilitary nation state was weird so he took most of the kids back to the X-Mansion where they could be in school again and he could be a soccer mom.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

fwiw, I'm fairly certain this is not the same movie Blue Sky was working on for years before Disney shut them down. Looks like the Netflix iteration has a much lower budget and shorter production timetable (apparently it only started production last year, but is slated to premiere next year)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think Jubilee did much after the first few episodes. But I'd think of that more as an opportunity to come up with something for her to do and give extra characterization than a burden. Although whether they could come up with anything good is entirely contingent on how good the people making the new show are. I don't really remember much about Spyke, but the bit of being "the relatable young one" doesn't mean much when almost the entire cast are relatable teens.

Yeah, Spyke was more 'whoops we need a young POC' and didn't want to use like Synch or somebody.

Evolution Rogue is best Rogue. Change my mind.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Evolution Rogue is best Rogue. Change my mind.

Why would anybody disagree with your entirely correct opinion? Evo Rogue is the best drat character in the whole show.

Seriously an amazing character and I'm pretty sure she's been the favorite in the fandom since the show aired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO43_-EW6ns

Trying to find the scene where she was brought to the petrified Mystique to heal her but instead kicked her off a cliff as a poor, traumatized Nightcrawler tried to save their mother and failed. What a powerful scene for a kids' cartoon.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I liked Evolution a lot more than the OG

original animated series always felt all over the place to me but I could chalk that up to:
1. I was a lot younger when the original show was airing, and a lot less familiar with the source material,
2. I was definitely catching episodes a lot less regularly, and it was a lottttttttt less episodic than Evolution

Maybe it's time for me to rewatch both

self-counterpoint:
Evolution did Gambit dirty
but they also mainlined Pyro
so it's impossible to say if it's good or bad, really.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 13, 2022

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

fwiw, I'm fairly certain this is not the same movie Blue Sky was working on for years before Disney shut them down. Looks like the Netflix iteration has a much lower budget and shorter production timetable (apparently it only started production last year, but is slated to premiere next year)

Yeah, this is deffo something else, Annapurna is a relatively big studio, but it's nowhere as big as Blue Sky was with its FOX funding.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sockser posted:

self-counterpoint:

one of my favorite scenes in the series is when we see Pyro watching Magneto, his former boss, seemingly get killed by Apocalypse on a loop and just laughing his head off

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, this is deffo something else, Annapurna is a relatively big studio, but it's nowhere as big as Blue Sky was with its FOX funding.

https://twitter.com/AnimComplex/status/1513545120234176515

At least from this tweet, it sounds like it's the same version?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

cartoons123 posted:

https://twitter.com/AnimComplex/status/1513545120234176515

At least from this tweet, it sounds like it's the same version?

Well, that's excellent news

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sockser posted:

self-counterpoint:

I wish we'd gotten that last season. They were going to put Scott and Rogue together as a couple and I really dig that because it A) made sense in the context of the series and B) was honestly something different.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I wish we'd gotten that last season. They were going to put Scott and Rogue together as a couple and I really dig that because it A) made sense in the context of the series and B) was honestly something different.

That would have been strange. I don't remember Rogue and Scott being seriously hinted at past Season 2, he and Jean were linked at the hip drat near the whole series from start to finish.

I guess something big would have happened in the proposed Season 5.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess something big would have happened in the proposed Season 5.

The little montage at the end strongly hinted that Jean goes full Phoenix in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Well the last ep of Young Justice definitely took a turn. :stare: I do enjoy the 4 ep format to show immediate stories and pepper in overarching stuff.

I definitely thought this was going to Phantom Zone territory, but fuuuuuuck what a reveal at the end with General Zod, AND Lor Zod as who I initially assumed was a rogue Time Ranger like Booster was or a rogue Monitor.

Also M'Gann's brother is such a piece of poo poo, it will be pretty satisfying to see him get his commupance like Arthur's brother did Indiana Jones style.