Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All the Jared Leto stuff is accounts from internet and social media sites, it never hit mainstream media. It's not that he has dirt on anybody, it's that nobody is covering the story. There isn't any reporting on him and a lot of the stuff about him is obfuscated by stories about other ways in which he is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah it's basically - supposed - whisper networks bubbling up telling people "stay away from this dude, he's a creep who's also into weird poo poo"

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Das Boo posted:

Literally only one I know of was Heaven's Gate, and that's because they all (including Applewhite) castrated themselves. Which makes it extra sad because they were all just a bunch of really mentally ill people who believed their nonsense and killed themselves.

I still think advocating castration in a group you have control of a form of sexual abuse. To me it feels like when the cult leader decides it's time for everyone to die, that's not really suicide, and when the leader starts telling people to fly down to Mexico to get their balls chopped off, it's probably not really a suggestion.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I still think advocating castration in a group you have control of a form of sexual abuse. To me it feels like when the cult leader decides it's time for everyone to die, that's not really suicide, and when the leader starts telling people to fly down to Mexico to get their balls chopped off, it's probably not really a suggestion.

You're absolutely not wrong, it's just the only one I know of where the leader wasn't a-rapin'.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

emo-ignorance posted:

He's constantly getting canceled, it just never sticks

The only person I can think of where it stuck is Kevin Spacey and I wouldn't be shocked if given enough time he starts to worm his way back into films or tv.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CPL593H posted:

The only person I can think of where it stuck is Kevin Spacey and I wouldn't be shocked if given enough time he starts to worm his way back into films or tv.

Now that Bruce Willis has retired, I wouldn't be surprised if Spacey started showing up in those low budget, direct-to-wherever films.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Jared Leto just needs a massive box office flop like Armie Hammer before suddenly the bizrags go "wow, how weird, this washed up actor has a ton of sex complaints"

The reality is as long as this person can still make the studios & networks more money then their toxic acts are worth they will put up with the worst poo poo imaginable. Louis CK is back in the spotlight and has gotten a pat on the back for 'daring' to admit to his misdeeds in his comedy show. He's on track to return to his highest point pre-scandal under the auspicious of being a "changed man" and being self-aware, a hilariously low standard.

If he's still alive in 5 years and not in prison there are absolutely people who will do serious business with Harvey Weinstein. Kevin Spacey will get a major studio role before long enough. No one who was 'canceled' who was already a millionaire will ever see actual consequences. I think the only ones who've suffered have been anyone low level enough that the lost income seriously derailed their life.

The Will Smith slap will probably have more cultural cachet/awareness in a few years then any of these #Metoo takedowns.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Echelon thing should have sunk him ages ago.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
arguably not really Hollywood, but director Sion Sono has been accused of sexual assault and generally being a predatory piece of poo poo

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/sion-sono-accused-sexual-assaults-1234714367/

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Can not take jared leto seriously after this burn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmke7G3ccjo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pentyne posted:

Jared Leto just needs a massive box office flop like Armie Hammer before suddenly the bizrags go "wow, how weird, this washed up actor has a ton of sex complaints"

Well good news!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

pentyne posted:

If he's still alive in 5 years and not in prison there are absolutely people who will do serious business with Harvey Weinstein. Kevin Spacey will get a major studio role before long enough.

I doubt both of these only because neither of them have anything to offer any more. They serve Hollywood the best at this point by being the sacrificial lambs everyone remembers, pulling attention from everything else going on. Armie Hammer might worm his way back, Ansel Elgort seems to still be doing okay, and Jared Leto seems to be coasting on the Jimmy Page / Steven Tyler / Bill Wyman rock star "so openly a creep that it's just a personality trait rather than a problem" approach. But Weinstein and Spacey's falls were too big and too public, and they serve a useful purpose to everyone else by remaining fallen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

All the Jared Leto stuff is accounts from internet and social media sites, it never hit mainstream media. It's not that he has dirt on anybody, it's that nobody is covering the story. There isn't any reporting on him and a lot of the stuff about him is obfuscated by stories about other ways in which he is weird.

Unfortunately quite the online tradition from very early on, see also the Dan Schneider rumours and how it occasionally breaks into the open like with Warren Ellis. Mainstream reporting serves capital first.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfortunately quite the online tradition from very early on, see also the Dan Schneider rumours and how it occasionally breaks into the open like with Warren Ellis. Mainstream reporting serves capital first.

Capitalism is specifically protecting Leto?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

pentyne posted:

The reality is as long as this person can still make the studios & networks more money then their toxic acts are worth they will put up with the worst poo poo imaginable. Louis CK is back in the spotlight and has gotten a pat on the back for 'daring' to admit to his misdeeds in his comedy show. He's on track to return to his highest point pre-scandal under the auspicious of being a "changed man" and being self-aware, a hilariously low standard.

If he's still alive in 5 years and not in prison there are absolutely people who will do serious business with Harvey Weinstein. Kevin Spacey will get a major studio role before long enough. No one who was 'canceled' who was already a millionaire will ever see actual consequences. I think the only ones who've suffered have been anyone low level enough that the lost income seriously derailed their life.

The Will Smith slap will probably have more cultural cachet/awareness in a few years then any of these #Metoo takedowns.

Yeah I'm not so sure tbh, being a star is kind of a tenuous position, the whole history of the business is stars who were up for a while until they weren't. The norm for most actors careers is to have a 'moment' and then fade, with only some lasting the distance. Theres no reason to dip so far into cynicism to think that any actor is just going to stay at the top forever untouchable, sex scandals be damned.

In terms of financial consequences though thats harder to measure. I doubt Spacey will ever get a major studio role again (as I mentioned in the previous post, the big fact there is that by harassing other people in the business he directly shat where he ate) but since he already probably was a millionaire I doubt he'll ever be poor poor. Louie CK can still play sold out halls, but probably isnt getting his Louie FX show back.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 7, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

live with fruit posted:

Probably? Why else does he keep getting work? Like he's a decent actor but there's not really any roles he's done where it's impossible to imagine another actor doing as good a job. Like, I guess his Joker was a way of doing Joker that no actor would have done, but it's no one's favorite Joker, and a different version could have worked as well in Suicide Squad.

At least Guillermo Del Toro's niece or daughter got a pet rat out of it. That's nice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

live with fruit posted:

Capital. But yes. He's a wealthy white man in a position that makes other wealthy white men lots of money. The entire apparatus is keeping him in that position as long as tenable, because that is what it is meant to do.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

massive spider posted:

Yeah I'm not so sure tbh, being a star is kind of a tenuous position, the whole history of the business is stars who were up for a while until they weren't. The norm for most actors careers is to have a 'moment' and then fade, with only some lasting the distance. Theres no reason to dip so far into cynicism to think that any actor is just going to stay at the top forever untouchable, sex scandals be damned.

In terms of financial consequences though thats harder to measure. I doubt Spacey will ever get a major studio role again (as I mentioned in the previous post, the big fact there is that by harassing other people in the business he directly shat where he ate) but since he already probably was a millionaire I doubt he'll ever be poor poor. Louie CK can still play sold out halls, but probably isnt getting his Louie FX show back.

Everyone's thought Leto is hot poo poo since Dallas Buyers club and that was about ten years ago. I figured he'd be on his way down by now, especially since all these people came out against him but he just continues to thrive like a cockroach. Hopefully Morbius is enough of a cat turd to finally derail him but I doubt it. It's not going to make Spider-Man/Avengers money but I'm sure it'll turn at least enough of a profit to not be a bomb because enough people will watch any of these loving things. Shang Chi and the Eternals were instantly forgotten and they still did big numbers. Not the aforementioned Spider-Man numbers but still a poo poo ton of money. Morbius doesn't have the Disney logo but there's a built in audience for all of this poo poo regardless and like it or not comic book movies are still a printing press for money even if they're mediocre by the standards of these things. And most of the people buying movie tickets aren't the terminally online nerds poo poo talking the thing on twitter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

Everyone's thought Leto is hot poo poo since Dallas Buyers club and that was about ten years ago. I figured he'd be on his way down by now, especially since all these people came out against him but he just continues to thrive like a cockroach. Hopefully Morbius is enough of a cat turd to finally derail him but I doubt it. It's not going to make Spider-Man/Avengers money but I'm sure it'll turn at least enough of a profit to not be a bomb because enough people will watch any of these loving things. Shang Chi and the Eternals were instantly forgotten and they still did big numbers. Not the aforementioned Spider-Man numbers but still a poo poo ton of money. Morbius doesn't have the Disney logo but there's a built in audience for all of this poo poo regardless and like it or not comic book movies are still a printing press for money even if they're mediocre by the standards of these things. And most of the people buying movie tickets aren't the terminally online nerds poo poo talking the thing on twitter.

Morbius made 38 million opening weekend, Shang Chi made 75 million. Also the audience reaction hasn't been great and remember when Sony made a Spider-Man film that grossed three quarters of a billion dollars and it was considered such a failure that they went begging to Disney/Marvel saying "please make Spider-Man an Avenger."

I ain't gonna say the almost certainly pedophile's career is over until I actually see proof of it because *waves at the entire history of Hollywood* but I think at the very least Sony is having some meetings about what they can do with their Spider-Man licenses that doesn't involve a Morbius sequel.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What is Leto's untouchable status built off of? Morbius is his first big lead role ever. Or did Mr. Nobody actually make a ton of money?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

30 seconds to mars is pretty popular isn’t it?

That plus Oscar crap…

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You don't actually have to be considerably rich or successful for the system to protect you. It's designed to protect the mediocre.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Yeah I was thinking of Spacey and Louie CK more than Leto. Leto I’m skeptical it ever will gain traction unless he directly fucks with someone else in the industry or one (or more) of his accusers directly undertakes legal action.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

live with fruit posted:

What is Leto's untouchable status built off of? Morbius is his first big lead role ever. Or did Mr. Nobody actually make a ton of money?

Him being an artistic freak has become a meme since Suicide Squad, it's not really surprising a studio would try to cash in on that. Why they would try that with a third-string Spider-Man character, who knows. It's got The Dark Universe written all over it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You don't actually have to be considerably rich or successful for the system to protect you. It's designed to protect the mediocre.

So it's not cause he's a wealthy white man in a position that makes other wealthy white men lots of money?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

live with fruit posted:

So it's not cause he's a wealthy white man in a position that makes other wealthy white men lots of money?

What part of that do you think is contradictory?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What part of that do you think is contradictory?

Leto is specifically protected because he makes people money but one doesn't need to be successful to be protected.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If you're a person with power who abuses that power, it is in your interest to protect those also doing the same around you. Or else they might come for you next.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Leto seems in that golden realm of just good enough (at acting, won an award), savvy enough (to creep on people who have no connections or power) and bankable enough (that he brings in more money than he causes trouble).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Leto is like Depp if you substrack charm and replace it with try-hard artistry. In fact, there are dozens of people I'm sure he'd love to be compared to (e.g. Bowie, Brando) that he is absolutely lesser than, but the thing is that the mere hint of a comparison is enough for studios to keep him around. He's an Artist.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Leto is like Depp if you substrack charm and replace it with try-hard artistry. In fact, there are dozens of people I'm sure he'd love to be compared to (e.g. Bowie, Brando) that he is absolutely lesser than, but the thing is that the mere hint of a comparison is enough for studios to keep him around. He's an Artist.
I think he's very much like Bowie. Rock bottom yo!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's no need to throw out conspiracies about Leto when it's not that hard to decipher: forum posts and whisper networks aren't allegations. Someone on Twitter saying 'this happened to a person I know' isn't really an allegation. Until someone is willing to say something, all you're going to see are the same variations of 'he likes to hit on 18 year olds' that imply a lot but say nothing.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 7, 2022

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean…whatever else he is, he’s a startlingly good-looking man and I feel like that gets him a lot further than anything else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm old enough to remember people raving about how gorgeous he was on My So Called Life.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

DrVenkman posted:

There's no need to throw out conspiracies about Leto when it's not that hard to decipher: forum posts and whisper networks aren't allegations. Someone on Twitter saying 'this happened to a person I know' isn't really an allegation. Until someone is willing to say something, all you're going to see are the same variations of 'he likes to hit on 18 year olds' that imply a lot but say nothing.

This. There had been rumors and speculation about Louis CK since at least 2012, but he denied it until the New York Times was about to put out an article where they interviewed the victims themselves. Unless someone specifically comes out and says "This happened to me," no amount of secondhand accounts will do much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

emo-ignorance posted:

This. There had been rumors and speculation about Louis CK since at least 2012, but he denied it until the New York Times was about to put out an article where they interviewed the victims themselves. Unless someone specifically comes out and says "This happened to me," no amount of secondhand accounts will do much.

Unfortunately this is why the chilling effect from what happens to accusers who DO come out and say what happened to them is so effective.

vvv: Also this. The police are famously unhelpful at best when it comes to victims of sexual assault. And not much has really changed from Saville's day, if anything at all.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 7, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

There's a good chance that there have been people who went to the police with credible allegations and were ignored. I posted about the Jimmy Saville documentary yesterday. For decades, people were trying to report him to the police in various jurisdictions but none of them listened and in some cases the police went out of their way to protect him. The documentary noted that social media was basically the one place where victims could openly have their voices heard and how the mainstream media went out of their way to discredit even the people on social media.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Well good news!

I'm afraid I have some bad news

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Jeb! is number one at the box office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Leto is specifically protected because he makes people money but one doesn't need to be successful to be protected.

Leto has a solid acting resume and that's enough for studios to keep on hiring him. It's not that he's protected, its more that the general public isn't yelling at studios for hiring him so they'll continue to take the path of least resistance.