Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Polaron posted:

The most recent explanation seems to have been both side's agents playing contract chicken without actually talking to their clients until it was too late

yikes!

Season 5 is... I mean the season 4 ending was weird and felt very obviously "oh poo poo we have a new season! uHhhhhhhHhh". I am not really a fan of the "I'm in your computer system therefore I can immediately gain access to everything and understand the wire protocols and blah blah blah. It always feels icky to me.

Aside from the upheaval, it is very comfy. I missed a few episodes and now my folks are ahead lol. I feel less invested in this season as a whole, so it's difficult for me to go "Oh, I should catch up". It's not bad, it's just different, I think.

I'm extremely glad gababool got vidicated in the end of season 4. The telepaths part was a really good trick, and the win was a bit fast but felt gratifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

alexandriao posted:

Season 5 is... I mean the season 4 ending was weird and felt very obviously "oh poo poo we have a new season! uHhhhhhhHhh". I am not really a fan of the "I'm in your computer system therefore I can immediately gain access to everything and understand the wire protocols and blah blah blah. It always feels icky to me.

Aside from the upheaval, it is very comfy. I missed a few episodes and now my folks are ahead lol. I feel less invested in this season as a whole, so it's difficult for me to go "Oh, I should catch up". It's not bad, it's just different, I think.

I'm extremely glad gababool got vidicated in the end of season 4. The telepaths part was a really good trick, and the win was a bit fast but felt gratifying.

Early season 5 is iffy for a lot of reasons but if you've made it this far you absolutely owe it to yourself to catch the second half.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

Early season 5 is iffy for a lot of reasons but if you've made it this far you absolutely owe it to yourself to catch the second half.

2nded. the first half of s5 is the show finding its footing again so it's like a speed run of the worst parts of S1 all over again. but when it finds its footing it is quite good. Doesnt hit the highs of seasons 2-4 but it is still solid.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

loling at Lyta being totally undressed under her psycop gown. Dress for the job you want I guess? Do you think Bester wears undies or just goes totally bare assed

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Finding out Bester has been swinging freely for five whole seasons... holy poo poo, I see why yall are interested in the blind watch thread... this changes everything........

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

alexandriao posted:

I am not really a fan of the "I'm in your computer system therefore I can immediately gain access to everything and understand the wire protocols and blah blah blah. It always feels icky to me.

I've wondered if this was a jab at all the malfunctioning self aware holodeck episodes in star trek

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

alexandriao posted:

I am not really a fan of the "I'm in your computer system therefore I can immediately gain access to everything and understand the wire protocols and blah blah blah. It always feels icky to me.

This and the magic life transfer machine from S1 are the two bits that remind me most that scifi is just really dumb sometimes. B5 doesn't generally do that kind of technobabble handwaving and it feels so out of place, like a plot convenience from TNG or a bad Doctor Who episode.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 27, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Sweevo posted:

This and the magic life transfer machine from S1 are the two bits that remind me most that scifi is just really dumb sometimes. B5 doesn't generally do that kind of technobabble handwaving and it feels so out of place, like a plot convenience from TNG or a bad Doctor Who episode.

On the other hand, I'm always up for watching fascists get wrecked - even imaginary ones - so I like the scene

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

They could still have done it in a better way than "I am a magic computer ghost deleting ur filez!"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sweevo posted:

They could still have done it in a better way than "I am a magic computer ghost deleting ur filez!"

Except they couldn't have because that part was rad af

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

S05E26: OH poo poo HERE WE GO AGAIN

Except, not really...

"Have you told him this yet?"
"No, I was thinking of making it a surprise. I even booked the seat right next to his. It will give me someone to talk to during the flight."
"Londo once told me he hates it when people talk to him on long flights. He prefers to sleep."
"I know. Hahahahaha"

:allears:

Despite the situation, G'Kar and Londo being best buddies is just... finally... this is all I wanted...

The thing about that scene is you could show it to someone else, but, not really. Because the background of the characters matter so much to making that scene stand out and be so important.

-

Garabaldi turning out to have actually died of alcohol IRL makes these episodes a lot... different, huh

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

alexandriao posted:

S05E26: OH poo poo HERE WE GO AGAIN

there's more???

I kid, I kid.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hey folks, I'm back, and I've resumed the watchthrough -- I was very near the end of Season 3. But I have bad news for the thread: due to getting stranded in a hotel room halfway across the country for a few days with nothing to do but binge-watch TV, we watched a ton of episodes in a row and I'm afraid I don't have full writeups for each one. (Side note: the hotel TV didn't let you into the settings menu so there was no way to turn off the motion smoothing and oh my god, that poo poo makes the show look awful.) But here are a few brief reactions I remember having for specific episodes:

s03e22 - Z'ha'dum - The Shadow-collaborating humans are clearly being evil, but they have a point -- war has always fostered innovation.

s04e01 - The Hour of the Wolf - THANK you, G'Kar, you're the only one who seems to remember that there's a second person missing, everyone else is all Captain Captain Captain. And I really like the characterization of Daffy as one of Garibaldi's "household gods". Also, the White Star was quite dramatically destroyed, but hey, no problem, just get another identical one and carry on. Can't really complain though, the same thing happened to the Defiant over on the other space station show. :)

s04e03 - The Summoning - Holy poo poo the Vorlons. :stonk:

s04e05 - The Long Night - Vir Cotto, imperial assassin. Never would have seen that one coming.

s04e06 - Into the Fire - This... isn't actually the series finale, right? There's still a whole bunch of show left? ...You're SURE this isn't the finale? Because good goddamn does this ever feel like a series finale.

s04e07 - Epiphanies - Okay, cool, an episode to remind us of all the plot threads that DIDN'T get wrapped up last week. There's more than it felt like, it really seemed like the previous episode had put a bow on drat near everything.

s04e08 - The Illusion of Truth - You idiots, stop saying things that can be taken out of context so drat easily. (later) Told you so.

s04e11 - Lines of Communication - The "blurry guy" special effect for the Drakh looked pretty bad, I'm hoping that was partially an artifact of the motion smoothing on the drat hotel TV.

s04e14 - Moments of Transition - I was wondering if they were ever going to reference the Worker Caste in anything other than an offhand kind of way. (Has a Worker character ever even had a name or a spoken line of dialogue?) Anyway, I approve of this conclusion. And over in the telepath storyline, I can't help but wonder if Lyta's thing (psi abilities got goosed by a Vorlon and the Corps wants to know how it was done) is a drop-in replacement for where Talia's story would have gone in JMS's original plan, what with her getting the telekinesis and all that.

And that's as far as we got before finally getting a flight home. Overall reactions to this whole part of the show: I know I was flying through episodes quickly, but still, it feels like the whole Shadow War got wrapped up fast, really over the course of just a few episodes. And since it happened, there's no longer a single narrative thrust underlying all the various plotlines. So now, picking two big ones as an example, the Minbari drama and the Psi Corps situation don't really feel connected anymore, it's more like they're independent stories in a shared universe, involving characters who happen to know each other. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great show and I'm still enjoying the hell out of it, but it kind of feels like it's lost something.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
You might say the show is in a… moment of transition to something else.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a very dense season.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

IIRC they thought season 4 would be the end so they were trying to wrap it up quickly

FWIW, everyone else was 100% right, you owe it to yourself to watch to the end... don't wish to say more

*disappears like Ambassador Voltron*

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

alexandriao posted:

IIRC they thought season 4 would be the end so they were trying to wrap it up quickly

This is true but only matters later. Most of the season happens as planned.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Powered Descent posted:

s04e11 - Lines of Communication - The "blurry guy" special effect for the Drakh looked pretty bad, I'm hoping that was partially an artifact of the motion smoothing on the drat hotel TV.

They stuck the blurry filter on because JMS hated the Drakh costume they came up with but didn't have time or cash to get a new one made. But he also hated the blurry effect, so they never did it again, either.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

s04e15 - No Surrender, No Retreat
  • The scene where Londo offers a drink to G'Kar. Goddamn. I was on the edge of my seat, with NO idea how G'Kar would respond. I was ready for anything from agreement to pushing the drink away to throwing the drink in Londo's face to throwing the drink across the room and screaming. This is such a complicated moment, with 90+% of it totally unspoken.
  • Sci-fi writers love to do the dramatic moment of a subordinate officer relieving the Captain of command. It's happened in various Star Treks and in Battlestar Galactica. In reality, doing such a thing would be by far the most serious event in that officer's LIFE, an event that (win or lose) would be studied and referenced for many years. This episode did it TWICE, once successfully and once failed, and damned if it didn't make us feel the actual weight of both of them.

s04e16 - The Exercise of Vital Powers
  • Garibaldi is still in love with Lise. Why am I not surprised. I think I'm going to have a heart attack and die of not surprise.
  • I wonder if Psi Corps will come looking for their dead telepath.
  • A takeover happens due to fear and stupidity, such as the Germans in 1939, the Russians in 1917 and 2013, the Iraqis in 2025, and the French in 2112. A couple of interesting ones from the vantage point of 25 years on, and I can only believe that last one is a Rush reference.
  • I'd be tremendously disappointed in Garibaldi if it hadn't been made abundantly clear that he's been Manchurian-Candidate-ized by... someone. I'm still guessing Psi Corps, since that's exactly the sort of thing that they do.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

s04e17 - The Face of the Enemy
  • That one guy in an institution somewhere, screaming 24 hours a day because of the things Psi Corps put in his mind. :stare: drat, telepaths, you scary.
  • I guess the director decided to get all artsy and creative with the scene where Sheridan gets beaten up as he passes out.
  • The tooth. Remember the tooth, Duke Leto Atreides Mr. Garibaldi.

s04e18 - Intersections in Real Time
  • Jesus Christ this is a heavy episode. It just never lets you up for air.
  • It certainly takes the record for the most non-appearances by the main cast. And no scenes aboard the station (or anywhere outside the interrogation center); I think that's a first too.
  • I totally called it that the Drazi "prisoner" was in on it and the execution was all an act. :smug:
  • gently caress, what a dark episode. And it makes you HATE that interrogator.
  • It's a little odd that they didn't bring in a telepath for this, though. They said that they don't want him reprogrammed since that could be detected, but a telepath could at least help poke his emotions in the direction they want. Perhaps that's the next step, if they fail to break him the old-fashioned way.

s04e19 - Between the Darkness and the Light
  • Wait, how the hell did Sheridan get back to -- ohhh, I see, it's a fake. Carry on.
  • They hardly need to keep tricking him into taking whatever drug they want. They can just give it to him.
  • Garibaldi certainly seems to have come around on the topic of being scanned. I suppose imminent death will do that to you.
  • Odd to see G'Kar and Londo being so civil with each other. Just a few episodes ago G'Kar didn't even want their signatures on the same page.
  • Garibaldi getting stabbed in the back -- symbolic repayment for him stabbing Sheridan in the back?
  • Sure, give a gun to the traumatized guy on who-knows-what drugs who's barely even aware of what's going on. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Ivanova :ohdear:

e: One more thought on the last episode: If Ivanova has eidetic memory, why was she having such trouble a few episodes ago remembering how to say things in Minbari?

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 10, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Powered Descent posted:

s04e17 - The Face of the Enemy
  • That one guy in an institution somewhere, screaming 24 hours a day because of the things Psi Corps put in his mind. :stare: drat, telepaths, you scary.
  • I guess the director decided to get all artsy and creative with the scene where Sheridan gets beaten up as he passes out.
  • The tooth. Remember the tooth, Duke Leto Atreides Mr. Garibaldi.

s04e18 - Intersections in Real Time
  • Jesus Christ this is a heavy episode. It just never lets you up for air.
  • It certainly takes the record for the most non-appearances by the main cast. And no scenes aboard the station (or anywhere outside the interrogation center); I think that's a first too.
  • I totally called it that the Drazi "prisoner" was in on it and the execution was all an act. :smug:
  • gently caress, what a dark episode. And it makes you HATE that interrogator.
  • It's a little odd that they didn't bring in a telepath for this, though. They said that they don't want him reprogrammed since that could be detected, but a telepath could at least help poke his emotions in the direction they want. Perhaps that's the next step, if they fail to break him the old-fashioned way.

s04e19 - Between the Darkness and the Light
  • Wait, how the hell did Sheridan get back to -- ohhh, I see, it's a fake. Carry on.
  • They hardly need to keep tricking him into taking whatever drug they want. They can just give it to him.
  • Garibaldi certainly seems to have come around on the topic of being scanned. I suppose imminent death will do that to you.
  • Odd to see G'Kar and Londo being so civil with each other. Just a few episodes ago G'Kar didn't even want their signatures on the same page.
  • Garibaldi getting stabbed in the back -- symbolic repayment for him stabbing Sheridan in the back?
  • Sure, give a gun to the traumatized guy on who-knows-what drugs who's barely even aware of what's going on. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Ivanova :ohdear:

e: One more thought on the last episode: If Ivanova has eidetic memory, why was she having such trouble a few episodes ago remembering how to say things in Minbari?

meant to say that Intersections in Real Time is indeed in real time

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

During the original run there was a roughly five month gap between s4e18 and s4e19.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

[*] It's a little odd that they didn't bring in a telepath for this, though. They said that they don't want him reprogrammed since that could be detected, but a telepath could at least help poke his emotions in the direction they want. Perhaps that's the next step, if they fail to break him the old-fashioned way.

It's like the interrogation in 1984. They could easily make him feel or say something, but they want it to be real. They want Sheridan to truly believe the lies.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Continuing to plow through to the end of the season at high speed.

s04e20 - Endgame
  • Endgame, this is the last episode of Voyager, right? :haw:
  • Aw gently caress, the lazy-plot-device lifeforce-transfer machine, I'd forgotten about that. :ohdear:
  • Peace on Earth, purity of essence...
  • Nice touch, having the bad guys' flagship come around at the last moment and save the good guys.
  • Hell of an enjoyable episode, the big battle that everything has been leading up to did not disappoint.

s04e21 - Rising Star

• But seriously, some excellent acting by Claudia Christian here. drat near brought both of us to tears.
  • Londo and G'Kar seem downright chummy here. I get that a lot has happened, but it's still hard to believe that G'Kar would ever forgive Londo for starting the war in the first place.
  • How exactly did Walter Koenig make a simple conversation in a conference room into one of the best Bester scenes yet?
  • I question the wisdom of having a fleet of tremendously powerful alien warships fly menacingly overhead, literally shaking the very ground, while making a pitch for peace and cooperation. Sends a mixed message.
  • Awww, Sheridan's dad. :3:
  • Well, the grieving widow has certainly wasted no time, has she? I get that it wasn't quite a storybook marriage, and Lise did find out at the end that Edgars wasn't all sweetness and light. But it still feels just a little icky that the first thing she does is leap blissfully into bed with her ex, celebrating all the while that she inherited everything.
  • Wait, Ivanova's leaving after all? Seems a bit of a waste to have done the whole near-death miraculous save. Or will there maybe be a time jump before next season -- a year later, Captain Ivanova returns to take command of B5, working closely with President Sheridan, perhaps?
  • What the hell, G'Kar, ever heard of privacy? (I had rather been expecting the wireless eye thing to be used for a serious plot point.) This is clearly intended as an "oh you scamp" kind of moment, but it just hit me as a bit scummy.
  • Sooo.... once again, this isn't the series finale? Not even the season finale? You're SURE there's more show coming after this? Because once again this sure feels like a finale.
  • This episode wrapped things up pretty well, but I'm not always on board with the tone.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Production backstory: while B5 was planned as a 5 year arc, early on in the production of season 4, it was not clear that the show would be renewed for a fifth season, so a lot of the back of season 4 is “wrapping up the threads that should have been the first half of season five.” They even shot the series finale! Once they did get the season 5 order, they doubled back and shot a new finale for S4. There are some other impacts from this that you’ll see once s5 starts…

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

s04e21 - Rising Star
  • Sooo.... once again, this isn't the series finale? Not even the season finale? You're SURE there's more show coming after this? Because once again this sure feels like a finale.

The series was cancelled during season 4 so JMS was left with the choice between rushing to finish everything up in four years or possibly never finishing. He chose the former.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

s04e22 - The Deconstruction of Falling Stars
  • what
  • No really, what
  • Okay, so taking this episode at face value for what it is
  • I guess Sheridan does indeed die right on schedule, and if I remember the dialogue right, the station gets destroyed right around the same time.
  • Delenn's old-age makeup was well done, although her "staring down the academics" scene went on a bit long.
  • If Season Five doesn't cover all of these "historical events" that happened in 2262 I'll be terribly disappointed.
  • The 500-year future bad guy is sporting a barely-disguised Nazi SS lightning logo; a little too on-the-nose, there.
  • Who the hell programmed this simulation of 500-year-old brains in such a way that they could mentally hack the whole drat system? Haven't you people ever heard of sandboxing?
  • Why yes, I too have read A Canticle For Liebowitz, and cheered when the monks rediscovered the electric arc lamp. Still, it kind of sucks that despite all of our heroes' efforts, Earth still gets blown back to the stone age (okay, not quite) in the end.
  • All right, I guess the stone age monks aren't THE END the end, there's our mysterious fellow a million years hence who spent his last few minutes reviewing old Babylon 5 episodes through a 1997 interface... which, I've come to appreciate, isn't the worst way to run out Earth's clock. And that last guy out the door before the sun blows was wearing a human-styled Vorlon-ish encounter suit, which was kind of neat. It seems humans have reached a similar state to what the First Ones did. So this "New Earth" that they're going to, is that outside the galaxy like where the Vorlons and Shadows and Lorien went? Or are the humans still hanging around and providing cryptic clues to the hapless younger races that still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea?
  • Still... my main reaction to this weird-rear end episode is:
  • what
  • And also... are you certain THIS isn't the finale? Because this also kind of feels like a weird artsy-fartsy finale.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Powered Descent posted:

• And also... are you certain THIS isn't the finale? Because this also kind of feels like a weird artsy-fartsy finale.

When they got the season 5 order, and pushed the finale they had already shot back to the end of season 5, this is the episode they made to take its place. Make of that whatever you will.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

[*] All right, I guess the stone age monks aren't THE END the end, there's our mysterious fellow a million years hence who spent his last few minutes reviewing old Babylon 5 episodes through a 1997 interface... which, I've come to appreciate, isn't the worst way to run out Earth's clock. And that last guy out the door before the sun blows was wearing a human-styled Vorlon-ish encounter suit, which was kind of neat. It seems humans have reached a similar state to what the First Ones did. So this "New Earth" that they're going to, is that outside the galaxy like where the Vorlons and Shadows and Lorien went? Or are the humans still hanging around and providing cryptic clues to the hapless younger races that still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea?
[/list]

According to JMS....New Earth is the old Vorlon Homeworld, Humans having finally reached a level of tech that allows them to turn off the automated defenses the Vorlons left behind. And yes, the implication is that the combined Human/Minbari future humans have taken up the stewardship of the galaxy to watch over the younger races...presumably for however long they can manage it before they gently caress it up like the Vorlons and Shadows did and some future Sheridan equivalent kicks them beyond the Rim too.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 11, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jng2058 posted:

According to JMS....New Earth is the old Vorlon Homeworld, Humans having finally reached a level of tech that allows them to turn off the automated defenses the Vorlons left behind. And yes, the implication is that the combined Human/Minbari future humans have taken up the stewardship of the galaxy to watch over the younger races...presumably for however long they can manage it before they gently caress it up like the Vorlons and Shadows did and some future Sheridan equivalent kicks them beyond the Rim too.

You might want to fix your quote there.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Jedit posted:

You might want to fix your quote there.

Well spotted. Fixed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Powered Descent posted:

[*] The 500-year future bad guy is sporting a barely-disguised Nazi SS lightning logo; a little too on-the-nose, there.

If anything, that it's disguised at all is the unrealistic part - Azov, various police forces in the US, etc...

jng2058 posted:

Well spotted. Fixed.

Nearly :v:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

Who the hell programmed this simulation of 500-year-old brains in such a way that they could mentally hack the whole drat system? Haven't you people ever heard of sandboxing?

They're nazis, and they're nazis.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Powered Descent posted:

s04e21 - Rising Star

• I question the wisdom of having a fleet of tremendously powerful alien warships fly menacingly overhead, literally shaking the very ground, while making a pitch for peace and cooperation. Sends a mixed message.

Carrot and stick, man. I feel like it's sending precisely the message it's meant to.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Polaron posted:

Carrot and stick, man. I feel like it's sending precisely the message it's meant to.

"Hey remember that guy who said I was being manipulated by aliens to invade Earth? He may not have been entirely wrong!" was always my read.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 13, 2022

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
One thing we learned from WWI the first Earth-Minbari War is that the losers have to know they have lost.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

s05e01 - No Compromises
  • So I guess Ivanova's gone after all. The new captain seems a little Ivanova-ish, but we'll see.
  • New Captain was totally on the wrong side of the war, wasn't she?
  • Oh, I guess they're wasting no time in getting to the colony of telepaths on the station that's going to prove to be an awful mistake.
  • Interesting choice the telepaths make, requesting to meet Lochley in the sketchiest, most suspicious possible circumstances.
  • They're going ahead with the inauguration... didn't a security guard just get killed right there in front of them moments ago? Seems like the sort of thing you'd pause for.
  • Got to admit, I love the grapple-and-pull-away maneuver with the starfuries.
  • I'm wondering how Garibaldi got into a fighter in the first place, though, since he resigned a while back. Oh well, he's shown that he can get through station security, and I guess everyone is okay with this now since he's a friend of the rest of the protagonists again.
  • "Do you want to be President? Put your hand on the book and say 'I do'." :lol:
  • Sheridan has already overridden Locksley twice, on allowing the telepaths to stay and on keeping Garibaldi in on official matters. If he keeps this up, I predict she won't be terribly happy with him.

s05e02 - The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari
  • Poor Lennier, he's sick of carrying Delenn's printer. :(
  • Cool, a dream episode. Weird symbolism ahoy!
  • We already know when and how he dies, so they're trying to restore tension by casting doubt on his prophetic dream, but come on. We the audience know it's not just a dream, there's the flash forward with Sheridan, and also Majel Barrett's pronouncement that he would be emperor. It's all too well established and I don't believe for a second they'll actually kill him off.
  • Dream G'Kar seems to hold a hell of a lot more of a grudge than Real G'Kar.

s05e03 - The Paragon of Animals
  • I sense a bit of self-mockery in all the attention to the odd habits of writers (in this case G'Kar).
  • I would find it extremely uncomfortable to be sensed by telepaths like they're doing to Garibaldi here.
  • Why is it such a big decision to send White Stars to counter raiders who are attacking along the borders of a non-aligned power? That's exactly what the White Stars have already been doing, for months.
  • I'm not sure if I believe the telepath that the Drazi are luring them into a trap. But if he's lying, I can't figure out what he would gain by driving such a wedge between them.
  • Welp, never mind, guess he was telling the truth. Maybe I'm just subconsciously prejudiced against telepaths. Or oh yeah, maybe we already know that having the telepaths there is going to go horribly wrong and I just jumped the gun a little.
  • I'm a little disappointed in the Drazi, though, I had always kind of liked them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s
[b]s05e02 - The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari

[*] Dream G'Kar seems to hold a hell of a lot more of a grudge than Real G'Kar.
[/list]

Dream G'Kar is all of Londo's guilt made manifest. And Londo got a lot of guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Catching up to a couple of writeups after seeing the episodes a week or so ago; giving my reactions as best I recall them.

s05e04 - A View from the Gallery
  • So I see what they're going for with this episode, and kudos for trying a different viewpoint.
  • Still, this one just didn't work for me.
  • Particularly the one comic relief guy who I can only see as Dollar Store Knockoff Buddy Hackett.

s05e05 - Learning Curve
  • I liked this one overall.
  • I expected to see Lennier, though, and in fact I went back and double-checked that yes, Bill Mumy is still listed in the opening credits as main cast.
  • Regarding Sheridan and Lochley's past... I absolutely love that the show trusts its audience to "get it" from Delenn's reaction alone, and doesn't feel the need to spell out the details yet.