Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

IUG posted:

I've been tasked with making a report email based on a certain type of ticket we have in our system (querying the postgres database directly). My company is cheap and does open source everything, mostly for being cheap rather than things being open source. So that means when I was tasked this, and wanted it to look nicer than a bash script outputting text, I was told to use Jaspersoft Studio Community Edition. This program looks like hot garbage, and hasn't been updated in years. There's got to be something better, but my DBA who's been working with this program for a while said he couldn't find anything. Please help me to not use this program, someone, I beg you.

Everyone loves Excel don't they?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/postgresql

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Please remember I am the predecessor moron.

We are going to roll out 365 2factor out to all staff eventually.

However, since I successfully have paired down the people using domain admin accounts to 5 (big fight to even get it there), I don’t know if we need 2FA for people to login to their computer every morning or whatever.

I was thinking of using the website Duo to add 2FA to their windows accounts.

But reading the docs, it seems like this will only use 2FA on computers the software is installed on. Am I right? Is this actually useful?

I guess I can install it on the server so at least those are fine right? But if these admins got their password ganked and someone logged in and remotes into a non server they could basically do whatever right?

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 30, 2022

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

You don't need to install MFA software on the endpoint. I think requiring MFA every time a user turns on the computer is a bit much. Require on first sign-on to the device. When they first sign in to win10 they'll take you through the rigamarole. This is assuming you're doing Azure AD.

The various software on the endpoint can require MFA periodically.

Your dom admins never need to sign in to a workstation as domain admin.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

nvrgrls posted:

You don't need to install MFA software on the endpoint. I think requiring MFA every time a user turns on the computer is a bit much. Require on first sign-on to the device. When they first sign in to win10 they'll take you through the rigamarole. This is assuming you're doing Azure AD.

The various software on the endpoint can require MFA periodically.

I tend to think you are right. We are being asked to institute it by our insurance company but I think maybe I am going to suggest trying it with email first and see how that goes.

quote:

Your dom admins never need to sign in to a workstation as domain admin.
100% agree completely agree 100%. Bosses don't though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Conditional access with device compliance policies and Windows Hello should be enough to handle device login.

Ignore this if you aren’t doing a 1:1 device:user deployment.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Rick posted:

I tend to think you are right. We are being asked to institute it by our insurance company but I think maybe I am going to suggest trying it with email first and see how that goes.

Are you talking about a question like 3D here?

(This is an example, from Travelers Insurance)

Here I think if you require MFA on first login, you can hang your hat on that for endpoint login. Remote admin should of course require MFA every time but I would imagine you're requiring that already once to even get into your remote management console, and then when you sign into the endpoint directly you may have done MFA already for first signon, whatever.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'd like to thank everyone for their time talking about monitoring software. I've managed to corral the boss into a limited deploy, and I'm hoping TeraMind drowns him in enough reports he'll forget about it.

Thank you to all for both suggestions and feedback.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

G workspace admins: Is there away to make gdrive sync known folders like onedrive out the box? I've looked all over and in switch operators and registry to try and make it do this. Trying not to touch every single computer as its dead simple to implement silently on onedrive through GPO.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I don't know if this is the correct place for this question but here goes...

Back at the beginning of the pandemic we got hit with ransomware. Since then we have been getting everything beefed up with security and backups and everything. We brought in a 3rd party to help with some of it and I am 2nd guessing some stuff with what they had us go with in regards to backups.

Currently we are using Veeam for backup to an iOsafe. The 3rd party claims that the iOsafe will keep us safe "because it is Linux based" as far as a repeat Ransomware attack. We are trying to get a 2nd form of backup running. Trying to use Veeam and our old tape library is having issues. We are talking about possibly doing a 2nd offsite iOsafe that is replicated to over a Site-to-Site VPN. Are they really any more secure? I dont buy the whole its linux based therefor safe but there may be more that I am not just getting a real explanation from him.

According to Veeam we seem to be doing about 350Gb a night of "Transferred" data on the incremental backups. Any ideas/suggestions?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I can't speak specifics, but I know with the Log4j vulnerability Linux boxes were just as vulnerable as anything else. So... I wouldn't trust anything as "safe". Everything will have holes needed to be plugged.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Ransomware generally doesn't care what OS your files are stored on. It's about whatever data can be reached by whatever accounts have been compromised or executed malware. The biggest issue in small business environments tends to be lack of access controls on file shares.

A Linux based NAS can be set up just as insecurely as a Windows based file server, and NAS vendors have historically not been the best about security especially when trying to make it easy for their users to access their poo poo remotely.

I'm a long time Linux nerd who only runs Windows for gaming, and I'd be wary of anyone claiming Linux was automatically inherently more secure in this context.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It used to be very common that Veeam backup repositories were stored on a Windows NTFS formatted disk attached to the Veeam server. This was real dumb and bit a lot of people. Veeam released a Linux appliance that was supported by them for backup repositories. This is better than storing your backups on a Windows share, something ransomware is going to hit trivially. Making sure your online backups, either on-prem or in the cloud, don't get hit when your prod data gets hit isn't a trivial problem. Another good approach is having it on immutable storage or backups that can only age out and not be deleted, but you are trusting that the storage provider marking it as immutable is actually secure. The Veeam Linux appliance for backup repositories can do this. A lot of backup and prod storage providers are doing this, I know Pure and Cohesity are. If you can get your stuff up to the cloud, Azure storage allows for this.

Your question of 350 Gb a night "Transferred" is impossible to answer without knowing more about your environment. Do you think it's accurate that you have 350 Gb of data change every day? If not, then I'd start looking into that.

[edit: To clarify, since the above comments are correct about it not being more secure just because it's on Linux. If the Linux box is off the domain, has a unique root password, uses an off-domain service account that's defined on the Linux server, has read/write access to the share with a unique password that's only used by the backup service, then you're better off than a lot of Veeam installs that have a share on a server that's on the domain and uses a service account that's on the domain. In the later example, if an attacker gets domain admin they can get themselves access to the share.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 7, 2022

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Use Veeam to offload to an S3 storage bucket that supports immutability. We use Wasabi, but Backblaze and Amazon are other options. We pay $160/mo for 8TB.

Replicating to a remote site is good, but unless your account and ACLs are locked down properly it wouldn't be hard to jump to that box if an attacker has access to your network. A determined attacker will study your backup processes and make sure those are hosed before enabling encryption. That's why the immutability is important.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Question about connecting directly to a NAS.

A friend works at an educational institute doing videography.

They have an older QNAP NAS with dual 10gbe ports and two iMac Pros with 10gbe ports.

Can they connect one to each port on the NAS and bypass needing to use a switch?

They have an IT department that has tried to set it up but are pretty clueless. The two editors just want to work off the drive but their IT services can't seem to figure it out. I looked at the configuration and they aren't even using the 10GbE ports.

One person is in the office with the NAS so she could connect via TB (with a 3 to 2 adapter) and the other, 2 offices away, via a cat 6 run?

NAS is the TVS-871T

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That NAS has two Thunderbolt 2 ports so a couple of these https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMEL2ZM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter with Thunderbolt 2 cables and they can link directly to the NAS at Thunderbolt 2 speeds, and keep the network port on the Mac alive for connecting to the rest of the network.

The Thunderbolt ports should auto-configure an APIPA IP address and discovery of services should Just Work.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thanks Ants posted:

That NAS has two Thunderbolt 2 ports so a couple of these https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMEL2ZM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter with Thunderbolt 2 cables and they can link directly to the NAS at Thunderbolt 2 speeds, and keep the network port on the Mac alive for connecting to the rest of the network.

The Thunderbolt ports should auto-configure an APIPA IP address and discovery of services should Just Work.

I was thinking of that for the one person in the office with it.

But the other person two offices over... you can't do long TB runs like that right?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I had issues in a small shop both replicating to other hypervisors and backing up to veeam. I think that was dumb sales/sales engineers (aka owner) that lead to that fiasco though.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Thanks for the reply guys. Looking into possibly using Wasabi as that seems like it might be a good fit.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Thants for this thread.

Anyone using GoTo Connect for IP phones? I have a client with issues with it and I assume it's the configuration-limited Spectrum router, but if it's just a bad service overall I might recommend something else. I can turn SIP ALG on or off, that's it (it's off).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gorson posted:

Thants for this thread.

Anyone using GoTo Connect for IP phones? I have a client with issues with it and I assume it's the configuration-limited Spectrum router, but if it's just a bad service overall I might recommend something else. I can turn SIP ALG on or off, that's it (it's off).
What kind of issues are you experiencing? I recently helped diagnose an issue with a partner's client who had a whitelabeled version of that service and it was a NAT timeout thing. I've also seen talk recently about Spectrum enabling SIP rate limiting in some areas, though happily I haven't actually seen that myself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SIP is such a dogshit protocol for endpoints that it almost makes it worth looking at MS Teams phones so everything is happening as REST signalling and can’t get messed around with by edge devices trying to be helpful.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Our DevOps guy left with 1 weeks' notice. My boss asked if I could fill in until they found a replacement "just someone to keep the lights on" was how it was explained to me (all of my previous projects were put on hold or given to the other guy, I'm not doing both roles full-time. I'm doing both part-time). I took her up on the offer because of the promise of free training and I've always been interested in DevOps and I figured I could do it because I'm built different.

First day of this new devops thing:
- I've been made lead of this big database upgrade where they are jumping 7 major versions. The Test and UAT environments are not the same as prod (or even the same as each other), and we have only a few months to finish the upgrade in all 3 env's
- I have spent 4 hours trying to fix some certificate issue on some microservice. pushing what I think are the right changes to various Dockerfiles all lead to different build errors and failures, none of which are related
- some loving rando is now asking me to build him a new env in AWS that has apparently "been known about for weeks"
- AWS is emailing me saying a bunch of EC2 instances need to get migrated, however when I go to look for them I cannot find them in AWS.
- AWS is also emailing me saying that a bunch of EBS platforms need to be updated soon or else they're getting axed. These platform upgrades are going to require code changes and the devs seem very uninterested in doing them.
- I have discovered a yikes amount of very obvious security issues that again, the devs seem very uninterested in addressing.

I have zero clue what I am doing, how any of this is built, or who I should be talking to. There is no documentation anywhere, and major projects are looming on the horizon.

It turns out that I am in fact built different, but it's worse.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
No wonder the DevOps guy left.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

wolrah posted:

What kind of issues are you experiencing? I recently helped diagnose an issue with a partner's client who had a whitelabeled version of that service and it was a NAT timeout thing. I've also seen talk recently about Spectrum enabling SIP rate limiting in some areas, though happily I haven't actually seen that myself.

The two main issues that have been reported are one side can't hear the other, and 1-2 second delay before audio starts being picked up when a call begins. The issues are intermittent.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MustardFacial posted:

I have zero clue what I am doing, how any of this is built, or who I should be talking to. There is no documentation anywhere, and major projects are looming on the horizon.

its a shame this is too long for a thread title

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

It turns out that I am in fact built different, but it's worse.

Is it too late to reneg on the job? Sounds like a real shitshow!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

devmd01 posted:

For real. I don't think I even flinched reading that. Par for the course.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

CloFan posted:

Thread derail, can I see more pictures of your cats?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tell your manager that you can't do it, roll that poo poo up the hill

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

SIP is such a dogshit protocol for endpoints that it almost makes it worth looking at MS Teams phones so everything is happening as REST signalling and can’t get messed around with by edge devices trying to be helpful.
The technical idealist part of me wants to defend SIP as being a perfectly reasonable protocol for reasonable networks where devices have real IP addresses, and point out that NAT is the real problem. ALG devices only exist because of NAT, so we should just get rid of the actual problem.

The realist part of me knows that's never happening and we're stuck with IPv4 forever because too many dipshits just can't imagine not being able to remember a server's IP address off the top of their head.

At least switching over to SIP/TLS on a non-standard port is a viable option these days.

Gorson posted:

The two main issues that have been reported are one side can't hear the other, and 1-2 second delay before audio starts being picked up when a call begins. The issues are intermittent.
Definitely check your UDP timeout settings, that definitely sounds like NAT problems. Cisco tends to want 300+ second timeouts for their hosted voice products and most firewalls will default to somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

wibble posted:

Thread derail, can I see more pictures of your cats?

:3:

Buncha pictures in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851374&userid=68086

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

Tell your manager that you can't do it, roll that poo poo up the hill

I have. The IT director and the CTO are both of the opinion that I am the best man for the job at the moment while they look for a permanent replacement.

CloFan posted:

This is the 3rd company I've been at in the past year and a bit. Since the market for IT got hot I've been bailing on places that show red flags before my probation is even up. So far this place has the best benefits, pays the most and outside of this DevOps thing, my boss is the best I've had so I'm reticent to drop this place just yet.

Also my wife getting tired of me job hopping constantly and says I have to stay here for at least a year.

devmd01 posted:

I think it's a bigger shame that the industry is in a place where my predicament is so commonplace that it could be a thread title.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm mad at my org. We budgeted and got the OK to hire 5 people this year. Then my boss told management he is retiring at the end of the year. Now all those hires are on hold so the next guy can come in and do things his way. We're so short handed.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

Thanks, so cute.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I've been reading /r/overemployed for a few weeks now wondering how people are holding 2 or 3 devops jobs simultaneously when the devops reality I've observed is what MustardFacial said.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm starting a new job! :yotj:

And only after I accepted the job found out they have legacy citrix stuff! :negative: but it's "in the cloud"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You mean they're running XenServer on bare-metal EC2 instances :negative:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

wolrah posted:

The technical idealist part of me wants to defend SIP as being a perfectly reasonable protocol for reasonable networks where devices have real IP addresses, and point out that NAT is the real problem. ALG devices only exist because of NAT, so we should just get rid of the actual problem.

The realist part of me knows that's never happening and we're stuck with IPv4 forever because too many dipshits just can't imagine not being able to remember a server's IP address off the top of their head.

At least switching over to SIP/TLS on a non-standard port is a viable option these days.

Definitely check your UDP timeout settings, that definitely sounds like NAT problems. Cisco tends to want 300+ second timeouts for their hosted voice products and most firewalls will default to somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds.

Thanks! I'm likely going to have to swap out the router to get it working, they have a Sagemcom from Spectrum and it's severely limited in what can be changed. They're convinced the Spectrum equipment will work and haven't come to grips yet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

You mean they're running XenServer on bare-metal EC2 instances :negative:

stop it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

You can probate him for this right?