Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

He's relieved himself from worrying about portability ever since.

dude the full context (from your own link!) makes it abundantly clear that he does not hate portability with a fiery passion. it's a question about why systemd isn't portable and he says:

the most hated man in linux posted:

Many of my previous projects (including PulseAudio and Avahi) have been written to be portable. Being relieved from the chains that the requirement for portability puts on you is quite liberating. While ensuring portability when working on high-level applications is not necessarily a difficult job it becomes increasingly more difficult if the stuff you work on is a system component (which systemd, PulseAudio and Avahi are).

the idea that portability is harder and the benefits less compelling the further down the stack you go is not controversial to normal people

i struggle to sympathize with the worldview that every system design decision made by the various camps which splintered unix in the 1970s and 1980s is canon, but simultaneously if you pick the wrong canon you're a heretic, but simultaneously if you dare make the lowest levels of one of the splinters nonportable so that at least you can do things in a sensible way in your splinter you're a heretic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

just pretend i quoted the whole post

you wouldn't have systemd if the goal was to be portable to all unices. the point of systemd is administrating your linux install, and to do that properly you have to use linux specific apis

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

BobHoward posted:

the most hated man in linux

mods????

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tankakern posted:

just pretend i quoted the whole post

you wouldn't have systemd if the goal was to be portable to all unices. the point of systemd is administrating your linux install, and to do that properly you have to use linux specific apis

but but but how am i supposed to get attention for my niche os if nobody cares about spending their own time making their stuff work with it?

no i won't help out with this myself, what do you think i am? a producer?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i can't imagine actively caring about systemd one way or the other after like, 2013 or so

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like using it, its timers and services are very good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sapozhnik posted:

i can't imagine actively caring about systemd one way or the other after like, 2013 or so

It's pretty well integrated now too. I had to transition init scripts to systemd at one of my first jobs and that is about the only time I really felt anything other than meh towards it.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i wrote some upstart scripts for system services when i was using ubuntu 14.04, that was okay

conversion to systemd scripts was easy, and writing new systemd service units is so trivial i really do appreciate it over a mess of shell scripts and combinations of other projects (supervisord or some poo poo? idk)

like "i want to run homebridge via docker-compose on my home server to support opening my garage door through homekit"

code:
[Unit]
Description=Homebridge Docker service
Requires=docker.service
After=docker.service

[Service]
Restart=always
ExecStart=/usr/bin/docker-compose -f /opt/homebridge/docker-compose.yml up
ExecStop=/usr/bin/docker-compose -f /opt/homebridge/docker-compose.yml down -v

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
loving breath of fresh air compared to previous linux init systems

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Lysidas posted:

i wrote some upstart scripts for system services when i was using ubuntu 14.04, that was okay

conversion to systemd scripts was easy, and writing new systemd service units is so trivial i really do appreciate it over a mess of shell scripts and combinations of other projects (supervisord or some poo poo? idk)

like "i want to run homebridge via docker-compose on my home server to support opening my garage door through homekit"

code:
[Unit]
Description=Homebridge Docker service
Requires=docker.service
After=docker.service

[Service]
Restart=always
ExecStart=/usr/bin/docker-compose -f /opt/homebridge/docker-compose.yml up
ExecStop=/usr/bin/docker-compose -f /opt/homebridge/docker-compose.yml down -v

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
loving breath of fresh air compared to previous linux init systems

Systemd services and timers are very good. Systemd-networkd is OK. The rest of it should be thrown out an airlock.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
why the gently caress did they build a dns server into it

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I used to hate systemd but then after writing a bunch of unit files and setting dependencies correctly it turns out to be pretty nice.

really it was the translation that sucked. i didnt like upstart that ubuntu was pushing. early systemd was rough and package maintainers were not good with it either so it was all a bit of a mess

those bad old day are behind us and now you can spend your spare time idly hating specific features of systemd. its great

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

systemd service unit files are really nice

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

and god bless the free log management

spew to stdout/stderr and let the journal handle things

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I, too, like the init system thing part. I'm less happy with the log handling thing. The rest is a dumpster fire.

Having an easy way to put FlexLM daemons into lowest-privilege container-like isolation with only a few switches is pretty neat. They even get ephemeral users assigned to them.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Journatlctl is a good idea, but a bad program. Its UI is Git-level bad imo.

Logging to stdout /stderr is good and easy, and it's nice having everything unified. But boy howdy does the UI suck. Even right down to the annoying-to-type name.

I hate that I can't have multiple journals though, I'd like that from a system architecture perspective. Like maybe tmpfs storage for the system services and permanent storage for services we wrote.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i want to run homebridge via docker-compose on my home server to support opening my garage door through homekit

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
good news, friend! systemd makes that easy

though if your server is like mine you might also have to recompile the kernel after setting a lot of options for docker to work

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Lysidas posted:

though if your server is like mine you might also have to recompile the kernel after setting a lot of options for docker to work

what the gently caress is your server like?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
gentoo

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Use podman instead.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
use Quadlet ideally but that seems to be one guy's part time loving around project and still isn't even included in Fedora's package repository despite being ~8 months old

https://github.com/containers/quadlet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"what if you could write a high-level unit file type for a container thing that gets translated into a systemd unit by a generator, and that unit set up some sensible defaults to spawn that container without any central container management daemon poo poo or whatever but instead contained within a free-standing runtime that is managed by a systemd cgroup"

"no that's stupid why would you want that. why don't you install kubernetes on your laptop and write a kubernetes deployment YAML instead?"

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

Use podman instead.

:hmmyes:

looks like it might also work with docker-compose with no additional tweaking or configuration, will probably try that out

and its in ubuntu repos for 20.10 and newer, will also want to switch after getting things on 22.04 lts

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Antigravitas posted:

I, too, like the init system thing part. I'm less happy with the log handling thing. The rest is a dumpster fire.

Having an easy way to put FlexLM daemons into lowest-privilege container-like isolation with only a few switches is pretty neat. They even get ephemeral users assigned to them.

Yeah, I alias that poo poo as "jctl"

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
nice, that is also a subsequence of "jo crystal", so you should think about that craigslist post every time you check the journal

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Sapozhnik posted:

use Quadlet ideally but that seems to be one guy's part time loving around project and still isn't even included in Fedora's package repository despite being ~8 months old

https://github.com/containers/quadlet

This looks good, thanks

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Yeah, I alias that poo poo as "jctl"
Doesn't your shell support command completion?

TENEX did this back before UNIX even existed, and it's where the t in tcsh comes from.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

TENEX did this back before UNIX even existed, and it's where the t in tcsh comes from.

now that is a good bit of trivia, ty

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Poopernickel posted:

Journatlctl is a good idea, but a bad program. Its UI is Git-level bad imo.

Logging to stdout /stderr is good and easy, and it's nice having everything unified. But boy howdy does the UI suck. Even right down to the annoying-to-type name.

I hate that I can't have multiple journals though, I'd like that from a system architecture perspective. Like maybe tmpfs storage for the system services and permanent storage for services we wrote.

https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/systemd-journald-dev-log.socket.8.html#JOURNAL_NAMESPACES

Its literally the second second section in the man page.

Also you can filter the logs trivially by unit with -u <unit name> or generically by log identifier for arbitrary poo poo with -t <identifier>. Finally you could just use -g or --grep to search everything. -p 3 for errors only, -b 0 for current boot only, --since=yesterday for last day, the list goes on.

Also how are you posting on the linux thread and don't know about aliasing and command completion I can't believe somebody is complaining about typing the name out.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

one thing about journalctl that i always thought was odd is that /var/log/journal doesn't exist by default on most distros for some reason, so the default config storage=auto means the journal isnt persistent. I dont get why that is the way it is.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
because the journal storage format is idiotic. love to have a log file format that is rendered unusable if you corrupt any of its filesystem blocks.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

because the journal storage format is idiotic. love to have a log file format that is rendered unusable if you corrupt any of its filesystem blocks.

I'm more concerned why your file system is a piece of poo poo

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

TIL, thanks!

Mr. Crow posted:

Also how are you posting on the linux thread and don't know about aliasing and command completion I can't believe somebody is complaining about typing the name out.

aliases are a workaround for lovely defaults, and tab-completion isn't all that common on the embedded Linux stuff that I have to janitor

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

yes but i am also a spaz

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm more concerned why your file system is a piece of poo poo

i'd tell you but i can't read the stinkin logs to find out what went wrong, Jeff!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

sorry to hear about your neuro-motor issues but please try to avoid using slurs in the future, namaste

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

TIL, thanks!

aliases are a workaround for lovely defaults, and tab-completion isn't all that common on the embedded Linux stuff that I have to janitor

literally every single embedded Linux system I have ever worked on since 2005 has had tab completion.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

what on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rooney McNibnug posted:

yes but i am also a spaz
i wasn't gonna shame, i have a shitload of aliases including one that's basically just for curl'ing the freebsd package repo and figure out when the newest version was built based on the last-modified date

i also have the hackiest loving script known to human kind, which is a script that i put together one night because i was frustrated with how freebsd ports has quarterly repos, but no way to point to the most current quarterly repo, so you have to move things along manually if you're using poudriere to build custom packages using the VALID_CATEGORIES variable in make.conf(5) and a git sub-tree for /usr/ports/custom