Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

fritz posted:

VirusNewbie 16 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

I will fight tooth and nail to keep our industry from unionizing. One can simply look at the public school system and how well it performs with one of the strongest unions in the country. You don't have well paid teachers (except those who have been teaching for a long time, at the detriment to new teachers),you don't serve the children well and you now have to navigate both a career and politics of a union.
Unions benefit those who play the social game more so the job requirements, as it allows for an alternative power structure to be climbed.
Those are the exact people I love being able to avoid in the software field.
he thinks he's in a meritocracy :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

PaulRobinson 2 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

The American collective psyche has a history of mistrust long preceding the events you identify.
In the colonial and early republic there was huge mistrust of Catholics, Jews, Masons, Native Americans and African Americans - many thought they were plotting against them. Why? Because at least some of them - say Native Americans - may well have been in order to stop their land being taken away and their families being slaughtered.
In the nineteenth century, "International Bankers" (shorthand for rich Jews), and other rich businessmen - Carnegie, Morgan, Mellon, Rockefeller - all joined the ranks. There is substance in the idea that they literally conspired to create cartels in some circumstances, so this is not unfounded.
And then we get to the 20th century.
If I told you that 10 servicemen who were serving in Roswell in 1947 have come forward and said "yeah, there was a cover up, I didn't want to say anything earlier because I was worried about prosecution and losing my pension", and all their individual testimonies mostly collaborate you might think there was some evidence of a cover up. What if I then told you the actual number was higher? How many ex-USAAF service personnel would need to say "that was not a weather balloon, there was a cover up" would it take for you to re-think whether there was indeed a conspiracy? 50? 100? The actual number is... over 600.
600 people with no reason to lie are basically going around thinking "wow, my government is really keen on lying". Perhaps telling their families that there are dark, secret forces in this World.
Then a couple of decades later, we have the assassination of JFK. For you to accept the official government explanation of what happened on that day in Dallas, you have to believe in magic bullets and a small entry wound to the front of the head and a large exit wound to the rear of the head is caused by a bullet fired from the rear.
All this sits swirling around people's heads and then _actual_ conspiracies are proved completely true: CIA assassination plots, Watergate, and Iran-Contra.
If somebody tells you that the CIA would "never" do something shady, there is ample evidence that they can, do and will.
The reason Americans believe in conspiracies is because at various points in time there has been ample evidence of them and some of them are actually true. Some of them are just racism, or anti-semitism, or shock, but some of them _are actual conspiracies_.
As to your last sentence, and the wonder what it would take to restore trust. Well, quite simply, the true conspiracies need to stop happening, and that means governments need to stop needing reason to form them. In short, nothing less than total revolution, then.

cjbgkagh 24 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

AFAIK European Americans were escaping powerful occupational guilds in Europe which definitely did conspire in secret and not so secret. There was a fear that such guilds would follow them and establish themselves in the US.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

fritz posted:

josephcsible 22 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Why is a union necessary to enforce labor laws and safety regulations? Can't individual employees report such violations to the government even in non-union shops?

hey everyone, this guy is a statist!! boooo the statist!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

post hole digger posted:

have you considered simply behaving as a rational actor in the marketplace??? Stupid?????
no, report up, stupid!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fritz posted:

josephcsible 22 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Why is a union necessary to enforce labor laws and safety regulations? Can't individual employees report such violations to the government even in non-union shops?
hn_poster 420 minutes ago | poo poo | parent | next [-]

why didnt they just take a bathroom break instead of peeing in bottles :confused:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

of poo poo, parent, and next, I would hope that a HN poster does at most one of them

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

quote:

ineedasername 8 hours ago [–]

I worked up to 60 hours a week (I'd say avg 50) from the time I was 13 years old making $6 an hour. It was backbreaking, grueling labor. But not a coal mine so no risk of black lung, so I guess everything is okay? Or maybe my parents should have taken advantage of economic opportunities that didn't exist (they looked, constantly, for options).

This was in the US. Most of the time I did my homework in school, cramming in assignments for second period during first period, then 3rd period hw during second period, etc. Child labor isn't dead, and if you truly think that everyone has the economic opportunities to avoid these circumstance then you don't have the scope of experience needed to accurately assess the state of society.

(And no, it wasn't a case of "well if you can't support children you shouldn't have them" The circumstances of the above situation came about long after I was born, though before I was 13)

notch656a 3 hours ago [–]

Would your family have been better off if the income from your $6/hr job was lost? I presume this work was beneficial to your family somehow, otherwise you wouldn't have engaged in it.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
memish 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

Who owns the media and big tech now??? It's not poor people!
At least Elon Musk is a very rich person who believes in free speech. Which is good for us poors. Twitter and the national discourse will be objectively better for working class voices as a result. Less so for the gatekeepers and media elite commentariat

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the whole of https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30918534 is a barrel of laughs. leave it to hn readers to be elated that someone is coming in to rid twitter, of all places, of a "leftist political bias", and also

> slibhb 1 hour ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

> Elon Musk is kind of obnoxious. He lies (or "exaggerates"). But what Tesla has done is insane. It's happened so quickly, and that's leaving aside the rockets. The hard evidence that we can build new things, that we can progress and build a future that's better than the present is so important. If it takes a flawed man to show us that, I'll take it.

> If you hate Elon Musk, consider probing your mind deeply to figure out why. It may just be that you're an Ayn Rand villain.

oh no, what a terrible fate

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Ayn Rand villain

p deece username

matti
Mar 31, 2019

epitaph posted:

memish 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

Who owns the media and big tech now??? It's not poor people!
At least Elon Musk is a very rich person who believes in free speech. Which is good for us poors. Twitter and the national discourse will be objectively better for working class voices as a result. Less so for the gatekeepers and media elite commentariat

curious posting history

matti
Mar 31, 2019

quote:

chihuahua 12 hours ago | prev | next [–]

As a man, if any female stranger ever initiates a conversation in a cafe, I can safely assume that she has some kind of ulterior motive. That may sound cynical or sad, but that's life.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

matti posted:

curious posting history

would love for this person to answer their rhetorical question of 'who owns the media now' :thunk:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

(((who))) owns (((the media))) now

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

FooBarBizBazz 4 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

> the human race will breed itself into some mad corner
Bit of a tangent, but I think sexual reproduction helps to avoid this. Picture a set of points (people) in Euclidean space. Pick any two, "a" and "b", at random. Add a new point "c" at the midpoint. Unless the overall shape of this swarm is highly nonconvex, then this point "c" is going to be more in the "interior". If we formalized things a little more, we could prove that this operation is a contraction. The Fixed Point Theorem would apply, &etc.
So, once your set has reached some convex shape, then there's a balance between these two forces: The contracting force of sexual reproduction, and the expanding force of random mutation.
There's also selection of course. I tacitly assume there isn't much more of that happening right now? I could be wrong though; there may be some (strong?) selection against education...
Interestingly, it's these educated who I assume would "benefit" from a eugenics regime. But, one bad meme, and the whole thing goes bad...

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

guess the context:

syshum 22 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

The modern era, no one can make a mistake, no one can be allowed to ever forget their mistakes, and we must always use any minor mistake to cancel the person if they do not agree with us politically

ol' musky calling that dude a pedophile

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

guess the context:

syshum 22 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

The modern era, no one can make a mistake, no one can be allowed to ever forget their mistakes, and we must always use any minor mistake to cancel the person if they do not agree with us politically

ol' musky calling that dude a pedophile
Cancel culture has just gotten way out of hand if you can't even publicly slander people in retaliation for the crime of not fawning over your dumb ideas.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

syshum is one of the few usernames I recognize for somehow managing to not get shown the door despite being an absolute gently caress of a human being. Like HN has a lot of real hackernews types all over it but that guy is probably an actual fascist.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
hn bans people for violating decorum, not for having awful views.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im sending everyone who has ever posted on hn to prison for life.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

thank you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hey wait a second

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

post hole digger posted:

gulp!

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

post hole digger posted:

It’s a fair cop.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
MichaelRazum 15 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Newly Measured Particle Seems Heavy Enough to Brea...

Feels kind of 1920. War. Inflation and Physics offer's some interesting mysteries. Maybe AGI will solve it all for us;)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

version_five 4 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Show HN: Warp, a Rust-based terminal

Yes. There is obviously a target market for that kind of signaling, but I literally stop reading as soon as I see it. If someone is going to elaborate about some specific technical feature that is noteworthy, like they wrote something using only the turing complete type system or whatever, I understand that, but if the only differentiator is "I wrote it in rust", I don't care.
(Actually, I've had a long-standing theory that rust is somehow inextricably linked with what some might call the woke movement, or just millenial frailty, the idea of languages being "unsafe" and all, and the community generally. I think this is another datapoint - saying it's written in rust is sort of like talking about the race or politics or some other irrelevant characteristic of the person who wrote the code, it has literally no bearing on the functionality but it sends the right kind of message to certain people)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

that has to be a troll i refuse to believe otherwise

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

fritz posted:

the idea of languages being "unsafe"

lamo

mystes
May 31, 2006

That's the perfect hn post, like maybe we should just shut the thread down now

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Pile Of Garbage posted:

that has to be a troll i refuse to believe otherwise

anti-woke people loving hate rust because rust very clearly told them they weren't welcome in the community so they adopted this whole ideology where not only is rust bad, but its goals are bad too. it's a mix of really depressing and really funny.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They should have picked Proposition 8-script

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

anti-woke people loving hate rust because rust very clearly told them they weren't welcome in the community so they adopted this whole ideology where not only is rust bad, but its goals are bad too. it's a mix of really depressing and really funny.

that explains a lot

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

fritz posted:

version_five 4 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Show HN: Warp, a Rust-based terminal

Yes. There is obviously a target market for that kind of signaling, but I literally stop reading as soon as I see it. If someone is going to elaborate about some specific technical feature that is noteworthy, like they wrote something using only the turing complete type system or whatever, I understand that, but if the only differentiator is "I wrote it in rust", I don't care.
(Actually, I've had a long-standing theory that rust is somehow inextricably linked with what some might call the woke movement, or just millenial frailty, the idea of languages being "unsafe" and all, and the community generally. I think this is another datapoint - saying it's written in rust is sort of like talking about the race or politics or some other irrelevant characteristic of the person who wrote the code, it has literally no bearing on the functionality but it sends the right kind of message to certain people)

So like. I feel that especially open source software relies way too much on the technology than the actual features in their communication. In Linux it's not rare to see the "xxxxx client written in COBOL" as their main tagline. The users don't care what it's written on, they care what it does.

BUT, that is a separate issue from the anti-woke ramblings of that idiot.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

"written in X" makes sense as part of your messaging when your goal is to find people who can contribute to the project rather than passive users. most of the projects which list it as a headline feature shouldn't be, but it's occasionally a decent idea.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Warp is a closed-source, commercial project so I don’t think they’re looking to attract contributors. it’s just brand halo poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

just define “safe” in the conversation as iso 26262 and iec 61508 and suddenly most of the safe stuff is C

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Plorkyeran posted:

same thing happened with anything mozilla says or touches after eich stepped down

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

On an article about someone who tried unsuccessfully to launch a startup for a website that would recommend different OTC painkillers to people based on their symptoms or something:

kdkirsch 57 minutes ago | next [–]

I’m a physician.
I usually recommend ibuprofen 800mg every 8 hours

That's a really good way to kill your kidneys. If they're actually a physician they should keep up to date with medical research

That's actually kinda messed up, I don't think it was ever recommended to take that much per day but especially chronically

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s still perfectly reasonable short term right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Now that doctors don't want to prescribe opioids ever, I wouldn't be surprised if more people are destroying their kidneys with massive doses of nsaids anyway.